Russian Noble and Princely Families

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Xenia is the most stunning, exotic woman I've ever seen in pictures! Her aura seemed to be shy but came off as haughty.How could you not call this woman beautiful?!
http://macedonsky.narod.ru/images/cognates/c25.jpg

Isn't that actually Irina on the day she wed Prince Felix Yusupov? I've seen it identified as such elsewhere. Maybe you meant Irina. I think she was lovely too, though she didn't age well. She resembled to a great degree her cousin Tatiana, Nicholas II's daughter, widely renowned as the most beautiful of his daughters.

Obolensky: a son of a princess Obolensky is found alive in Argentina after 55 years

André Baranoff was born in París in 1936, he´s the son of count Ciril Baranoff and princess María Obolensky.
In the 1950s he moved to Argentina and he had not kept in touch with his family which considered him dead.
But thanks to Internet his sister, who lives in Germany, found him alive and well.

El Día de Gualeguaychú - Edición digital 24 horas de información al instante - Un reencuentro emotivo, después de 55 años

Now I see why he was concered dead no offense but not keeping in touch will his family for so many years had people assume he was dead.
But through today's high technology made it were his sister was able to find him which is great.

:previous:This is fascinating. I cannot read Portuguese. Can someone translate why he stayed away all those years and why no one from his family make any serious efforts to locate him before now?:flowers:

Galitzine

Prince Piotr Galitzine and Archduchess Maria Anna of Austria
Courtesy of member cachecache...

TMK IPSCO chairman revealed as a prince of a man -- chicagotribune.com
13 Sept 2009
excerpts...

When TMK IPSCO of Downers Grove announced a new chairman last year, it omitted everything interesting about Piotr Galitzine.

And so for an entire year the Chicago business community hasn't known that there is a Russian prince living downtown with his wife, Archduchess Maria Anna, a granddaughter of Karl I, the last emperor of Austria.

In Russia, Galitzine's name is instantly recognizable. In Chicago, well, he doesn't get out much. Galitzine arrived here in September 2008, soon after TMK, Russia's largest producer of oil and gas piping, bought the American assets of IPSCO.

Galitzine's royal title traces back 675 years. That's when an ancestor, a Lithuanian prince, married into a royal family in Russia. The Russians permitted the title to be passed on to his descendants. 

After relocations forced by the Communist Revolution and World War II, Galitzine's parents moved to Peru, where he was born in 1955, then to New York. A mutual friend introduced Galitzine to his future wife at a bar on New York's Upper East Side. They married in 1981.

in 1992 he joined Mannesman AG, the German engineering giant, running its Russian operations.

"I was finally able to return to Russia with my wife and six children," Galitzine said. "But the first time I went back, it was frightening. My friend told me to report everything I had of value at customs. I listed 'wedding ring, gold' and 'cross, gold.' Although it was 1991, Russia hadn't changed much. The customs agent said, 'Surely stolen from the people.' I went ballistic."

Tchernychev-Bezobrazov Family

In which way was Archduchess Xenia of Austria (née Countess Xenia Sergueievna Tchernychev-Bezobrazov, 1929-1968, first wife of Archduke Rudolph, the son of Emperor Karl I and Empress Zita) related to Princess Irina Bagration (née Countess Irina Tchernychev-Bezobrazov, born in 1926, wife of the late Prince Theimouraz Bagration, himself the son of Princess Tatiana Constantinovna of Russia)?

Isn't that actually Irina on the day she wed Prince Felix Yusupov? I've seen it identified as such elsewhere. Maybe you meant Irina. I think she was lovely too, though she didn't age well. She resembled to a great degree her cousin Tatiana, Nicholas II's daughter, widely renowned as the most beautiful of his daughters.

That does look more like Irina. She's one of my favorites. It's such a pitty it's a bit difficult to find pics and info about her. So that was Marie Antoinette's veil?

The Yussoupovs were rich beyond belief and Felix's mother used to keep bowls filled with jewels so her guests could scoop them up and let them run between their fingers for the pure sensuality of doing it. I believed they owned several pieces of jewelry, as well as clothing, which were once owned by Marie Antoinette.

The Russian Album

"The Russian Album" by Michael Ignatieff - Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada.

I have just read this book and thought it would be interesting for others as well.
from the book
"My father's past is Russian. My grandfather Count Paul Ignatieff was Minister of Education in the last Cabinet of Tsar Nicholas II. His father Nicholas was the diplomat who in 1860 negotiated the Amur-Ussuri boundary treaty...1878 the treaty bringing the Russo-Turkish War to a conclusion.....

My grandmother was born Princess Natasha Mestchersky ..."

What an interesting read of these two families joined together and living
in and fleeing from the revolution. Very poignant where he discribes his
grandfather's last meeting with the Tsar Nicholas and pleading with him
to make changes.

A different look at Russia and its history through this man's families diaries and research and how they survived in exile and ended up in Canada.

I found this list of Russian princely houses (after looking for one for awhile, the one on wikipedia is not as comprehensive), thought it might be useful to some of you:

About: Russian nobility

If anyone has any information about the Lazarev family (raised to nobility by Catherine the Great, I think), I'd like to know it. I keep reading that the famous Russian Admiral (Mikhail Petrovich Lazarev/Lazareff) was a "scion" of a noble Russian family, whose original founders were from Persia/Armenia. They then had several sons (one would have to be named Petr/Peter for that son to be the father of Admiral Lazarev). I'm curious about their genealogy. After the Revolution, many records disappeared and I don't have access to the MERSH Volume (Vol. 19) that apparently has their story in it.

Indeed, in trying to do some Russian genealogical research, I find that many maps, census records input by various volunteers, etc., have disappeared from the web. Seems Russia still discourages genealogy and doesn't want folks to trace noble lines at all.

In a french reality show, a girl named Alexandra introduced herself as princess Alexandra Obolensky. I never heard about this russian princely family, who seems to have settled in Paris. I'm a bit disappointed that this girl took part to... THREE reality show, that's not the idea I had of russian princely families!
Does anybody know Obolensky family? I searched for them, but I only found two of Obolensky family members: a rugby player, and an aristocrat fond of history, both of them lived in England.

In a french reality show, a girl named Alexandra introduced herself as princess Alexandra Obolensky. I never heard about this russian princely family, who seems to have settled in Paris. I'm a bit disappointed that this girl took part to... THREE reality show, that's not the idea I had of russian princely families!
Does anybody know Obolensky family? I searched for them, but I only found two of Obolensky family members: a rugby player, and an aristocrat fond of history, both of them lived in England.
I only know of Prince Serge who wrote "One man and his time." Married an Astor. Those American socialites picked up many a penniless aristocrat after the war. :D

Thanks russophile! I think Alexandra is a "penniless aristocrat" who's trying to become rich and famous. Unfortunately for her, she never met an Astor or else, and has to figure into a trashy reality show! :sick:

The Russian Nobility Association

Does anyone know anything about the Russian Nobility Association?

Yeah, but there isn't that much about it.

The descendants of the morganatic marriages of members of the imperial Family belong to princely families now (Romanowsky...).

I want to know more about the RNA too, so I can track one of the hot Princes down and marry them! :ROFLMAO:
In all seriousness, why did Russia have Princely families after the country became an Empire ruled only by the Emperor?

Here is a short interview of a Russian young Knyaz ,Rostislav Romanov (born in 1985),who was born in Chicago,has lived in Britain ,has visited more times Russia and considers himself a British Russian.He is the son of Rostislav Romanov and Cristin Ipsen,being the great-great-grandson of the Emperor Alexander III of Russia and the great-grandson of Xenia,the sister of the last Tsar of Russia.
romanovtoday -
Google

I am impressed at how they have managed to keep a low profile. Considering the amount of amazing history behind them, you would think that they would be all over the place. Many of them do work for a living and frankly I think it's fascinating that they all are successful at maintaining secrecy.

Rostislav looks like Harry Potter. But Thanx for the link, I've been looking for more on him.

That sounds like someone with way too much time on their hands.

Obviously the aristocrats who are members of this association do not understand the real problems of people.
He is a russian aristocrat who lives abroad but still seems interested in the realities of the homeland of his ancestors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a generation thing. I remember my grandma complaining about girls wearing pants...

Back
Top Bottom