Romanovs about to return to Russia?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is interesting that the "invitation" was sent to both Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and to Prince Dmitri Romanovich. This suggests that both them are equally regarded as representatives of the former Imperial House.

The Romanov family's extraordinary return would not threaten the rule of the Kremlin strongman but would aim to give them a role in unifying Russia.

The move proposed by Vladimir Petrov, a law maker from Putin's party, has prompted speculation that it has the Russian leader's direct approval.

Petrov also plans to introduce a law, which would be implemented by the centenary of the end of Imperial rule, which would "give the Royal family members a special status" and "stimulate their return to Russia".

The legislator has written letters to the heirs of the Romanov dynasty, which ruled the country for two centuries before the abdication of last Tsar Nicholas II ahead of two revolutions in 1917.
More: Vladimir Putin 'wants' to reinstate Russia's royal family and bring back the Tsars | World | News | Daily Express

It is interesting that the "invitation" was sent to both Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and to Prince Dmitri Romanovich. This suggests that both them are equally regarded as representatives of the former Imperial House.
You are absolutely right. Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna was not the only one, who got the invitation. So the discussion could be moved into "Monarchy and Restoration; Rival Families and Claimants" thread.

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/3145378.html
The Romanovs are invited to live in Russia | Blogs•Spletnik.ru

The comments on this news are casutic. Commenters describe the current crop of the Romanovs as spongers and freeloaders.

Last edited:
I don't think this has anything to do with restoration. Just widow dressing. If I lived in Spain, going to Russia would be the last thing I would do. I have been there.

Does Maria Vladimirovna will accept the invitation and return to Russia? if it has to be with guarantees.

And you trust those guarantee. She is not being invited back to take part in government. Just some sort of window dressing.

Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna: June 2008-

At 89 years of age, Dimitri Romanovich is unlikely to give this offer much consideration. The chancellory of Maria Vladimirovna also reacted with diplomacy and a hint of reticence to the news.

That is very interested . I wonder why doing that Putin. We just wait and see.

I fail to see the connection between President Putin and the invitations by one of the United Russia party members. "United Russia" is a large organisation. Baseless assumption and speculations are amusing though.

Romanov's Return To Russia?

Dimitri Romanovich Romanov has stated that he does not intend to consider the proposal of MP Vladimir Petrov regarding the return of the Romanov family to Russia.

Romanov emphasizes that he has lived his whole life abroad; he has resided in Denmark for many years time.

http://www.5-tv.ru/news/97780/

That is very logical dicision .

Yes, it is indeed, especially if you consider that it was just a proposal by a member of the Russian Parliament, but nothing concrete.

Indeed the proposal is not taken serious as can be read in this BT article: Prinsen fra Rungsted har fået tilbudt et russisk slot - Danmark | www.bt.dk

Super HQ pic of Dimitrij Romanov: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/476/9/9476954-27udldimitri-romanoffjpg.jpeg
At his present home in the posh part of Copenhagen, Rungsted.

He says to the Danish Conservative newspaper, Berlingske: "It cannot be considered an official approach. I cannot that it is serious. I cannot relate what is hypothetical"

The historian Oleg Budnitskij says about the proposal: "It's unthinkable. The monarchists have very little backing.
The proposal should rather be seen as an attempt to keep alive the memory of past splendor. For better or for worse there is an ongoing rediscovery of this period in the country's history".

Last edited:
Yes, it is indeed, especially if you consider that it was just a proposal by a member of the Russian Parliament, but nothing concrete.
Technically speaking, the proposal in question was by a member of the Legislative Assembly of Saint Petersburg. A similar proposal from a member of the State Duma (Gosudarstvennaya Duma) of the Russian Federation could have carried more weight.

Last edited:
Thank you for the precisation, I had mixed up the two assemblies.
So the proposal is even more airy-fairy than I thought; no wonder that the replies to it were "Thank you but no".

This is an interesting situation. I wonder if Grand Duchess Maria will take up the offer and move to Russia.

But, as others have said, it does seem like Putin wants to be the Tsar.

Well, Putin has an example. General Francisco Franco appointed Don Juan Carlos de Borbón his successor as head of state, after his death. It is effectively thanks to this move by the dictator that Spain became a monarchy again.

Without a similar move by strongman Putin, in a pre-fabicated demarché together with the Duma and the mighty Orthodox Church, there is no any chance for a return of the monarchy in Russia. Of course, as Putin wants to stay the powerful one, it will be a "West-European" monarchy: a purely ceremonial head of state with a ruling Prime Minister.

Also that is not new. Because the Constitution does not allow more than two consecutive terms of presidency, Putin became Prime Minister again under President Medvedev but everyone knew he remained the puppetmaster behind the screens. Then after two periods Putin and Medvedev conveniently switched positions again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Franco prepared Juan Carlos to be his Heir.

Grand Duchess Maria, if she and her son come back to Russia , they will have the same position of the King of Roumana and his daughter...alas decorum and nothing else!

As should be. All modern monarchies are largely ceremonial. The last time a King wanted to do his way, he was forced to lay down the kingship for one day (Baudouin) but the Act he disapproved went into force anyway.

When Grand Duke Henri tried to do a "Baudouin" too to stop an act, the Luxembourgian Parliament simply approved an Act which removed the grand-ducal approval under Acts and Decrees. So Henri suddenly lost his prerogatives.

So when Maria Vladimirovna Romanova will be welcomed back into Russia with a (semi) official role, it will be purely ceremonial. Like in all other European monarchies (except Monaco and Liechtenstein).

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree and disagree , Grand Duchess Maria has the respect of the Church of Russia that is all...

The Spanish way has been discussed at length in http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ation-rival-families-and-claimants-11603.html. Neither Grand Duchess Marie Vladimirovna nor her son are widely supported in the Russian Federation. The late Grand Duke Vladimir Kirilovich did not have the support even during the tumultious 1990s, when the restoration had a chance.

Agree and disagree , Grand Duchess Maria has the respect of the Church of Russia that is all...
I am not sure about the respect. Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna is just recognised by the Russian Orthodox Church. The ROC shies away from endorsing one claimant more than the others.

Last edited:
Grand Duchess Maria, if she and her son come back to Russia , they will have the same position of the King of Roumana and his daughter...alas decorum and nothing else!

I understand that Grand Duchess Maria have the same position as the other pretenders, because Russia hasn't restored it's monarchy yet (and I doubt it ever will).

This is slightly off-topic and probably should be discussed in a different or new thread, though I often wonder what Russia would be like today if the Bolsheviks had never assassinated Tsar Nicholas II's family and the country were still a monarchy.

How popular is Grand Duchess Maria with the Russian monarchists compared to Prince Dimitri (I think that is the name of the other pretender)?

:previous:
The monarchy was abolished before Bolsheviks.

Back
Top Bottom