Reburial of Empress Marie Feodorovna: 23-28 September 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Burial Ceremonies for Feodorovna Begin

http://www.dailycomet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060928/API/609281580

St Petersburg, RUSSIAN FEDERATION: Soldiers carry a coffin with remains of Russian Empress Maria Fyodorovna during a funeral service at the city's main cathedral, St. Isaac's in St.Petersburg, 28 September 2006

from getty and yahoo/reuters

Russian and Danish officers carry a coffin with remains of Czarina Maria Feodorovna out of the St. Isaak Cathedral in St. Petersburg, Russia, Thursday, Sept. 28, 2006

from yahoo/ap

The coffin of Empress Maria Fyodorovna is carried into the St Peter and Paul Cathedral to be buried in the imperial crypt in St. Petersburg September 28, 2006

from yahoo/reuters

Last edited:
I missed seeing Princess Mary with a hat...and this one is simply beautiful..is one of my favourites :wub:

Sophus said:
Thank you... I've seen that too but I could not understand if that was all... A bit shame that danish television does'nt take this historical event more serious...

american TV either.:mad: (i'm hoping the history channel will do something)

thanks so much to everyone that's contributed to all the threads on this moving ceremony. She's home with her family-God Bless Them. never forget her family was murdered! this is something, i would have never thought could happen in my lifetime, i'm so glad Russia is moving forward and gave the
empress such spendid homage and respect.
the little pics (until i enlarged) look like one of those fabulous paintings from the royal court they toured in the museum yesterday.
does anyone recognize the pin Mary is wearing. i assume its a badge, since i know zip about it, i'm sure one of our sharp eyed experts can tell me, thanks ahead of time.

From yahoo/reuters and ap

Danish Crown Prince Frederik (C), his wife Crown Princess Mary (2nd R) and Britain's Prince Michael (R) attend the funeral of Empress Maria Fyodorovna in the St. Peter and Paul Cathedral in St. Petersburg September 28, 2006

Russian Orthodox Patriarch Alexy II throws a handful of soil on the coffin of Czarina Maria Feodorovna during a burial ceremony in the royal crypt at the Cathedral of the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg, Russia,

Crown Prince Frederik (L) and his wife Crown Princess Mary (C) pay their respects during the burial ceremony of Empress Maria Fyodorovna in the St. Peter and Paul Cathedral in St. Petersburg September 28, 2006

Prince Michael (C) pays his respects at the tomb of Empress Maria Fyodorovna

Last edited:
Dmitry Romanov, left, and Nikolai Romanov, second left, stand at the tomb of Czarina Maria Feodorovna during a burial ceremony in the royal crypt at the Cathedral of the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg, 28 September 2006

Cannons of Petropavlovsky fortress fire, marking the moment of the reburial of the Russian Empress Maria Fiodorovna in St.Petersburg, Thursday 28 September 2006

from anp

Empress said:
Can anyone think of another reason why she might have left? I did not watch the ceremony, so I can't comment. Was it also writeen about? (that she had to leave?)
According to the website of Danish TV2 (http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-4985463.html?forside), Mary did not feel well at some point during the ceremony 'because she had not had enough liquid' according to Eugene Olsen, the gentleman standing to the left of Mary in the picture.

Nice, comfortable wiiiiide coat Mary is wearing!:rolleyes:

Does anyone know if Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna attended the reburial? I have only seen proof that her rival Prince Nicholas attended.

lord_rankin said:
Does anyone know if Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna attended the reburial? I have only seen proof that her rival Prince Nicholas attended.
Yes, she met Mary and Frederik at the entrance to the cathedral today, and walked in with them. (And was placed prominently in the front.).

It happens a lot in ceremonies like this, that people doesnt feel ok, the fumes of the candles or incense, the crowd and the lack of fresh air, add to not drinking or eating properly before it or eat too much. I think is quite rush to even think she is pregnant

lord_rankin said:

The split within the Romanov dynasty over the Tsar’s true heir was evident, however. Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna was placed in the centre section of the cathedral next to Prince Michael, former King Constantine of Greece and Denmark’s Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, while Prince Nicholas Romanov and the majority of family members, who dispute her claim to be the titular Empress of Russia, stood at the
side.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2379381,00.html

Grand Duchess Maria was indeed there;

(Pic from ANP)

And so you see, Maria has proved the rest of them wrong. It was her who was given pride of place, it was her who was placed beside the real Royals and it was her who the Patriarch spent a very long time praying with.

BeatrixFan said:
Grand Duchess Maria was indeed there;
And so you see, Maria has proved the rest of them wrong. It was her who was given pride of place, it was her who was placed beside the real Royals and it was her who the Patriarch spent a very long time praying with.

It's quite funny anyway to follow the argumentation of the other side when it comes to her right of succession. They argue with Tsar Paul's family laws and don't see that it always was the privilege of the Head of the House to change the family laws. And Grand Duchess Maria's father undoubtedly was the Head of the House when he declared his wife as equal. Maybe according to a new house law just created by him but equal by decision of the Head of the House.

Thus, she is the legal pretender to the throne of Russia and nobody else.

I really do like Maria, and she doesn't only have the birthright, she's got the style and the sensibility too. She won't get into arguments with Dmitri and Nikolai, she won't row with them - she just works for Russia whilst the others claim non-existant titles and dine out on them.

Photo and comment from Corbis:

Russia - Russian Empress Maria Fiodorovna Reburial
Danish Foreign Minister Per Stig Moller (R), Crown Prince of Denmark Frederic (C) and Crown Princess Mary (L) listen to an unidentified Russian woman, as they attend the funeral service at Isaakiyevsky Cathedral during the reburial of the Russian Empress Maria Fiodorovna in Saint Petersburg, 28 September 2006. Danish royals arrived in St. Petersburg to take part in reburial of the Russian Empress Maria fiodorovna, former Danish Princess Dagmar, which married Russian Emperor Alexander III and escaped Russia after the October Bolshevic revolution and died in Denmark.

http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-17375893.jpg?size=67&uid={eb967b94-2eed-4d26-ab18-1c8620968d21}

Photo and comment from GettyImages:

(I believe this is when Frederick added the dirt taken from Empress Maria Fiodorovna's rose garden)
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72031569.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=8AF8AF6A335E5B088BB16B49E445EBEE

St Petersburg, RUSSIAN FEDERATION: Danish Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary attend a burial ceremony for Czarina Maria Feodorovna in the royal crypt at the Cathedral of the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg, 28 September 2006. Russian Orthodox Patriarch Alexy II on Thursday led burial ceremonies for Czarina Maria Feodorovna, the Danish-born empress whose remains are to be interred in her adopted land 78 years after her death. Maria Feodorovna was the mother of Russia's last czar, Nicholas II, who was executed by the Bolsheviks in 1918. She went into exile in Denmark in 1919 and died in 1928.

Last edited:
Remember that Orthodox services require alot of standing up which takes time to get used to. There's also alot of bowing - every time the Holy Trinity is mentioned, you bow and cross yourself, so it's very very tiring indeed. You get used to it though.

Maria does not have the right to use the title Grand Duchess. Only daughters of Tsars are allowed that title; she is technically not a Grand Duchess. Furthermore, her claim to the throne is not legitimate given the fact that the Russian throne can only be ascended to through the male line; hence why Prince Nicholas in fact has a greater claim to the throne that Maria. Maria's grandfather also betrayed Tsar Nicholas II and colluded with the Reds during the Revolution, which I would think nulls and voids any right to the throne.

RUSSIA: Ceremony of reburial of Maria Fedorovna
Crown Prince of Danemark with princess Mary. Ceremony of reburial of Maria Fedorovna, mother of Nicolas II, the last tsar of Russia. Saint Petersburg, 27.09.2006. source Keld Navntoft/Scanpix 2006 via isifa.com
is_12786132.jpg
is_12786066.jpg

is_12786067.jpg

skvc - there's alot of Grand Duchesses and it isn't restricted to daughters of Tsars. She is definately entitled to call herself a Grand Duchess - that's widely accepted, what some people dispute is that she isn't the heir to the throne. 'Prince' Nikolai and his brother Dmitri do not have a right to call themselves Princes let alone Head of the family.

RachelD - Mary should have been warned. When I went to my first Orthodox service, I was quite shocked. There's a few breaks where you may sit down but generally it's all standing and you say nothing. Then you are expected to help swing the lanterns etc and they also come and douse you in a special oil which is pretty suprising if it's your first visit. 3 Hours is about average for a vigil and it was probably a strain on Mary and Frederik because they wouldn't have moved very much, not being Orthodox. I don't know if they walked outside but it's usual for everyone to leave the Church and have part of the service outside. I'm sure she will have been forewarned. If she wasn't - poor Mary!

Photo By Tim Rooke / Rex Features via isifa

is1.jpg
is.jpg

Princess Mary and Prince Fredrik at an Exhibiton of Art from the Danish and Russian Royal Collections at the Hermitage Palace Re-burial of the Empress Maria Fedorovna, St Petersburg, Russia - 27 Sep 2006. Photo By Tim Rooke / Rex Features via isifa

is_12785865.jpg
is_12785863.jpg

Scanpix Denmark via isifa
is_12785543.jpg

is_12785541.jpg

is_12785524.jpg

from SCANPIX DENMARK via isifa

Photo By Tim Rooke / Rex Features via isifa

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Thanks for all the wonderful photos!!! :flowers: :flowers:

Does anyone have any of these without watermarks?

Thanks. :flowers:

Who is she buried next to is her Husband right next to her???

She's buried between Alexander III and Nicholas II.

Mary's hat from today is the same one she wore in Rosklide last Saturday. I know it's good that she is economical but wearing the same hat twice a week...?!

Sophus said:
Mary's hat from today is the same one she wore in Rosklide last Saturday. I know it's good that she is economical but wearing the same hat twice a week...?!

My personal guess is that she just waited to get back at the tabloids for writing that she was Denmark's "Imelda Marcos". What better and more subtle way to do that is there than to simply wear the same black hat twice to the same occasion as in "reburial of empress..."

Back
Top Bottom