Prince Nicholas Romanov (1922-2014) and Prince Dimitri Romanov (b1926)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsel

Courtier
City
Moscow
Country
Russia
Since we have a thread about Maria Vladimirovna, I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread about the other claimant to the Headship of Imperial House of Romanov - Prince Nicholas Romanovich, and his brother (and Heir) - Prince Dimitri Romanov.

Prince Nicholas, the eldest son of Prince Roman Petrovich and Princess Prascovia Dmitrievna, is the President of the Romanov Family Association. Prince Dimitri, his younger brother, is a committee member of the Romanov Family Association.

Both Princes have closes ties with Russia. They were among the 7 Romanov Princes who met in Paris in 1992 and founded the Romanov Fund for Russia (a charitable organization that still operates) was created. Prince Dimitri has been the Chairman of the Fund since its created. He is also the Chairman of the Prince Dimitri Romanov Charity Fund which he founded in 2006 and which is also dedicated to raising money for charities in Russia.

Prince Dimitri has very close ties with Russian Orthodox Churches (both Abroad and in Russia): he is a member of the board of trustees of Fyodor’s Cathedral, which is devoted to the Fyodor Icon of the Mother of God, the patron and Guardian of the Romanov House. All Russian monarchs were crowned for the throne in front of this icon. The church was built in 1913. His most recent visit to Russia (and to the Fyodor's Cathedral) was just 10 days ago.

Last edited:
There has been a renewed interest in everything Romanov lately: mostly, it is connected with the upcoming 400 years anniversary of the House of Romanov. However, it is also due to the fact that the members of the Imperial Family have actually started doing something other than constantly whining about the late Nicholas II and his family.
In my opinion, Prince Nicholas and Prince Dimitri Romanov are considerably ahead of Maria Vladimirovna in the 'actually doing something' department.

There was an interesting press conference yesterday (on July 28), during which the official spokesman for the Romanov Family Association answered several questions and read an announcement by Prince Dimitri (for Russian speaking members - you can read parts of interview and the announcement here).

The press conference was called to answer a variety of questions, starting from the issue of reburial of the remains of Tsarevich Alexei and Grand Duchess Maria, to comments made by Maria Vladimirovna earlier this month (about the possibility of return of the "Imperial Family" to Russia). Maria Vladimirovna stated that she would love to return to Russia on permanent basis; however the Russian Government must create 'appropriate conditions' for the Imperial Family.

The reburial issue and the Romanov's opinion about the timing is already posted as a blog entry. In my opinion, it shows consideration and understanding of the difficult times.

As for the response of the Romanov Family association to Maria Vladimirovna's announcement about the possible return of the Imperial Family to Russia on permanent basis, the spokesman read out Prince Dimitri's statement which addressed the issue.

To be brief, Prince Dimitri said that members of the Romanov Family may return to Russia as private citizen but that Maria Vladimirovna has absolutely no authority to make announcements on behalf of the Imperial Family, and even if members of the Family return, "they will not seek privileges or special treatment from the Russian Government under any circumstances", as had been agreed during the meeting of the Romanov Princes in 1992 in Paris (when all the senior male-line descendants of the House of Romanov agreed that they will never press any claims or request any special treatment from the Russian Government, without exceptions).
The full content of the press conference, as well as translation of Prince Dimitri's statement will soon appear on the blog as well.

Marsel, is there a site or link to the Romanov Family Association? I was wondering how they get their money for charity and how they spend it, etc.
Thanks! :flowers:

Russophile said:
Marsel, is there a site or link to the Romanov Family Association? I was wondering how they get their money for charity and how they spend it, etc.
Thanks!

You can find the link here.

I am afraid it does not give much information about the distribution of money. However, from what I know from other sources, the RFA mainly raises money for issues connected with culture and maintaining Heritage.

Al_bina said:
Given the age of Prince Nicholas and Prince Dimitri Romanov, I wonder who is meant to continue the bloodline.

It is expected that Prince Rostislav Rostislavovich Romanov will one day be a Claimant to the Headship of the Imperial House and President of the RFA. Prince Nicholas and Prince Dimitri appear to be ‘raising’ him as their Heir. Prince Rostislav is currently in Russia (St. Petersburg), where he studies Russian.

Russophile said:
A little help with the lingity would be helpful Al.
Some of us had public education. . . .

Summary of this article, as well as another similar article, is given is this blog entry.
The entry also includes translation of the official announcement made by Prince Dimitri Romanov (in response to Maria Vladimirovna's comments earlier this month).

As for the comments to the story, as Al_bina said, 'sarcastic' is probably the best word.
Some don't like the idea of restoration (although a couple do), some post silly comments. The only two coherent comments point out that Maria Vladimirovna has no rights to the Russian Throne under the Paul I law.

Last edited:
Thanks for information reagarding the heir!:flowers:
As for sarcastic comments, Marsel precisely summed up the meaningful ones. It is not unusual to read comments mentioning that Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and her son are viewed as a part of the Hohennzollern family.

Everybody knows Grand Duke Kirill granted the titles of Prince Romanovsky to all the descendants of morganatic marriages of the Imperial House.Why these two russian aristocrats bear the surname Romanov and not Romanovsky?

I've also heard that Prince Rostislov will inherit from Nicholas; JW if Nicholas and Dimitry have any sons who have willingly said they support Rostislov.

To inherit what?The fight against the Imperial House?The presidency of this association?

Everybody knows Grand Duke Kirill granted the titles of Prince Romanovsky to all the descendants of morganatic marriages of the Imperial House.Why these two russian aristocrats bear the surname Romanov and not Romanovsky?

Not quite. Cyril issued a decree stating wives and children of a union between a dynast and a person not of corresponding rank that was approved by the Emperor de-jure were granted the style of Serene Highness and rank of noble Prince/Princess Romanovsky/skaya, along with a hyphenated reference of their choice. These descendants were not dynasts or members of the imperial family, but cadet branches of the House.

Marriages that were not approved by the Head of the House had no rights to use the family name whatsoever. So, Nicholas and Dimitri are not automatically Prince Romanovsky because their father, Prince Roman, married without permission of Grand Duke Cyril.

I dont' think the Imperial Family should really defer all that much to Cyril; Nicholas and Alexandra were barely dead when he claimed headship.

Today there aren’t dynasts princes anymore.

Even the Kyrillovych branch is not dynast. Princess Leonida was a noble for Russians and Georgians, not equal at all. The Bagration Mukhransky family is not the royal family of Georgia for georgian people and their actual Patriarch! They always have belonged to the nobility. Last Tsar didn’t allow an equal marriage between Princess Tatiana and a Prince Mukhransky. She had to renounce to her rights.

It’s simple Vladimir, autoproclamed Tsar decided to create a royal rank for his wife-to-be. «*Fait du Prince*». Of course, the Middle-Age sovereign princely families of Russia even the descendants of the Great Princes of Kyiv of the Khans of Siberia of the others Caucasian has not received same gifts from their capricious Tsar.Too dangerous for him.

Thats easy to answer. The other members of the Imperial Family did not recognize Kirils right to make such pronouncements. They also questioned his own unapproved marriage and the marriage of Vladimir to a Bagration. As far as the rest of the family is concerned their family name if Romanov no matter what the Kirilovitch clan say.

I dont' think the Imperial Family should really defer all that much to Cyril; Nicholas and Alexandra were barely dead when he claimed headship.
After swearing loyalty to the Provisional Government !

Thats easy to answer. The other members of the Imperial Family did not recognize Kirils right to make such pronouncements. They also questioned his own unapproved marriage and the marriage of Vladimir to a Bagration. As far as the rest of the family is concerned their family name if Romanov no matter what the Kirilovitch clan say.

And they are; they are Romanovs and they are Russian royalty whether Kiril liked it, or whether or not Maria likes it. It's so chronically antagonistic that Cyril did what he did and there is no reason that it still has to continue to this day. Utterly nauseating. It's caused nothing but trouble and has done nothing but split the Romanov Family and isolate her son. I view Georgi as a Romanov and he isn't able to really have friends from the family as a result of this silly conflict.

Here here! Cyril nor his family run jack. They think they run jack and like to pretend they do.

Nicholas and Dimitri are the two that head the rest of the Association and seem to understand that Russia cannot afford a royal family and that the nation does not want to even have an officially established RF. Nicholas understands that Russians are jobless and starving, while death pretty much runs the streets. Meanwhile Maria isolates her son and pushes him into a role that he might be suited to, but won't be accepted by the rest, which at this point places him at odds with the rest of the Romanovs who might otherwise even accept him as Heir, if not for his mother. It's Maria that is making things so difficult for everyone and both Nicholas and Dimitri are actually ironically older than her and Nicholas was born only four years after the assassination of the Imperial Family.

He just can't give an interview without taking a dig at Maria and George can he? Sad man.

A very good interview. I dont find him sad at all, rather up beat actually, he seems to have given a pretty accurate explanation of the situation within the Romanov family.

I admire his candor and I admire how he gave such an intelligent perspective of the situation. He was right that the Communist Revolution is something unprecedented and that the Soviets were never Russians.

I think he pretty much sums up that no one has a claim to the throne under the dynastic laws which applied at that time. I don't think he has made a dig at Maria; on the contrary, I think he feels everyone should realize that the monarchy is a pipe dream and the Romanovs will never return to reign in Russia.

I think he's right and it's a very non-antagonistic position to take.

I think he pretty much sums up that no one has a claim to the throne under the dynastic laws which applied at that time. I don't think he has made a dig at Maria; on the contrary, I think he feels everyone should realize that the monarchy is a pipe dream and the Romanovs will never return to reign in Russia.

Except that he is wrong. He still makes clear his own interpretation of the Pauline Laws, which is that only Grand Dukes were bound to the equal marriage requirement and there are no Grand Dukes left, therefore, the Princes of the Blood who married unequally (like his father, Prince Roman) were able to transmit rights to the throne to morganauts. Which is patently incorrect.

From his perspective, that means he is the Head of the Imperial House, not Maria, because his status as a male morganaut take precedence over a female. Which again is totally incorrect.

An honest argument would be all the male-line descendants of dynasts are morganatic and the rights to be Head of the Imperial Family passed to the Serbian Royal House through an equal marriage of Princess Olga of Greece & Denmark after Vladimir's death in 1992.

Every time we hear from this man, we get his views that he is the head of the house and that Maria this, Maria that. When Maria is interviewed, she doesn't mention it. He seems to enjoy bringing it up. But what I don't understand about Nicholas is that he's a republican, he says monarchy isn't right for Russia etc etc. So why use the title of Prince? A title he isn't entitled to either. It's very strange and just makes him seem ridiculous IMO.

What bothers me is he has no problem disparaging Maria Vladimirovna (and reminding everyone her son is a Prussian Hohenzollern for good measure) and her grandfather, Grand Duke Cyril (remember the only dynasts after 1917 that refused to acknowledge Cyril as de-jure Tsar were his grandfather, Grand Duke Peter, and his great-uncle, Grand Duke Nicholas), but yet somehow manages to exempt himself from the very laws that his own ancestors held dear as the foundation of the imperial throne. And his daughters don't even speak Russian or have any commitment to Orthodox tradition.

And he is not a Prince of Russia under the family laws. He is simply Nicholas Romanov as a morganaut.

Perfectly put branchg. Now don't get me wrong folks, I'm not suggesting that Nicholas should have raised his daughters in the way Maria has raised George. That's entirely his choice as a father and it's not open for criticism in my view. However, there's a certain amount of hypocrisy here and I truly think it's a case of sour grapes. Somewhere along the way, he's had it drummed into him that he's the captain of the ship and he can't bear to be told otherwise. And if there was a third claimant, I'm sure he'd be just as sour.

Back
Top Bottom