Monarchy and Restoration; Rival Families and Claimants

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Given the volatile political situation in Russia with Putin preparing to return to the Presidency, I think celebrating the Romanovs will be the last thing on his mind in 2013 unless politically it will be useful to him.

I doubt Putin really cares about Maria or any other Romanov. He is a statist KGB controlling type, not a democrat.

Whilst this is true, look at the benefits we saw from the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in Britain. Putin might not want the day to day presence of an Empress but he may well want a little patriotism injection during the early days of a third term. Pomp and pageantry might suit him well enough when he knows it's not forever and he still holds the reigns of government. Which makes me think that he won't let this milestone go by without pulling out all the stops. Support to restore the monarchy is low, it won't go through the roof and endanger the republic over one celebratory weekend. If anything, it's politically advantageous - a leader who celebrates Russian heritage whilst looking to a brighter future....if I were Putin I'd be deciding whether to bow or not.

Given the volatile political situation in Russia with Putin preparing to return to the Presidency, I think celebrating the Romanovs will be the last thing on his mind in 2013 unless politically it will be useful to him.

I doubt Putin really cares about Maria or any other Romanov. He is a statist KGB controlling type, not a democrat.
I agree with your assessment of the situation. Why should Putin disturb the status quo? What would the celebration of the Romanovs in 2013 do for Russia? For example, the Georgian Royal house is unified now and has got Ilia's II strong support. Yet nothing significant has been happening in the process of the Restoration.
As for Mr. Stolypin, he was one of the best Prime Ministers Russia had. Despite his cruel way of inoculating new ways of life, he was a far-sighted shrewd statesman. His agrarian policy and plans to create a healthy bourgeois layer and wealthy farmers, which would help to balance the Russian society, were appreciated by Bolshevicks.

Last edited:
For example, the Georgian Royal house is unified now and has got Ilia's II strong support. Yet nothing significant has been happening in the process of the Restoration.

True, but as you know, the Bagrationi marriage was not on solid ground for the past few years. That undoubtedly eroded support for the monarchist movement. However, the Patriarch initially said in 2007 that he wanted the monarchy to be restored under a Bagration who had been raised from birth to assume a monarchical role...and now that Prince David and Princess Anna have an heir, perhaps momentum for a restoration will pick up?

I think he might use Maria as a means of controlling Russia if he can. Maria is sadly vain enough to think that Putin takes her seriously, while at the same time, trying to use her son. He would easily off Maria if he could, if it meant controlling the future through Georgi, or his kids and wife. All it takes is for a restoration, with Marie merrily rubberstamping Putin's actions, all in exchange for a crown.

Slightly veering off the topic ...

True, but as you know, the Bagrationi marriage was not on solid ground for the past few years. That undoubtedly eroded support for the monarchist movement. However, the Patriarch initially said in 2007 that he wanted the monarchy to be restored under a Bagration who had been raised from birth to assume a monarchical role...and now that Prince David and Princess Anna have an heir, perhaps momentum for a restoration will pick up?
As I have said, it remains to be seen whether or not the recent developments (i.e., the birth of the heir) will give a new impetus to the restoration. The same is true for the Russian Imperial house that bickers over everything.

Last edited:
Who DO you think everyone would agree on?
Well the Romanovs have been bickering amongst themselves for nearly 100 years so I doubt they would ever agree on a candidate themselves without some outside pressure.

Last edited:
*sigh* Nothing more drama filled than a room full of Romanovs, eh? :p)

the drama has been going on since peter the great and his sister so its been going on for awhile

The Romanovs have to be among the most fractious royal house in history.

The Romanovs came to the throne through disagreements, both within themselves and between themselves and others.

Perhaps it's because all of them are at a flummox as to how to properly agree as to who should be head of the family. Each clan apparently wants their family member has head of the house and each clan doesn't want to defer to the other. What a mess.

I wonder, why did it start with Peter the Great and his sister?

Well the original Romanov (Tsar Michael) came to the throne by election which is probably the only way a monarchy could restored today. The Duma could choose amongst the many Romanov candidates or others who might wish to launch a new Imperial dynasty.

I can't see the "new dynasty" thing working. I think the world would assume Putin had gone mad if he suddenly said he was Emperor. It has historical precedent of course and I don't doubt he'd last as a monarch but it'd be a bit.....odd. And certainly I'd question how much loyalty he'd get from the ordinary Russian.

^^^^
Oh I don't think anyone will ever be elected Tsar, but if Russia did decide on a restoration election would be the only way to do it and give a semblance of legitimacy and democracy.
I wasn't necessarily think of Tsar Putin, but the Duma could look at other old Russian families other than the Romanoffs.

Well the original Romanov (Tsar Michael) came to the throne by election which is probably the only way a monarchy could restored today. The Duma could choose amongst the many Romanov candidates or others who might wish to launch a new Imperial dynasty.

Michael Romanov was elected by the Moscovite nobles to become Tsar, but he did have a bloodline to Ivan, so there was some rationale to the decision.

The former dynasty of Romanov-Holstein-Gottorp is defunct since Nicholas II abdicated and Grand Duke Michael declined to assume the throne. They are also extinct of dynasts in the male-line with Vladimir's death in 1992 under the Pauline Laws.

So, there is certainly a valid argument that a restoration of the monarchy could be with any number of possibilities. It would not necessarily be limited to any of the current descendants.

weridly i thought the romanovs where the in laws to tsar ivan the terrible not blood

I wonder how Maria would react if Georgi were passed over in favor of someone else.

proably the same as her grand father did run to the communists

Ugh; I have no idea on how she can do anything with Putin at all, I really don't. It's not smart to expose yourself to those types, they can only do you harm, nothing good and she is preventing her son from being able to interact with his family on a healthy basis.

Michael Romanov was elected by the Moscovite nobles to become Tsar, but he did have a bloodline to Ivan, so there was some rationale to the decision.

The former dynasty of Romanov-Holstein-Gottorp is defunct since Nicholas II abdicated and Grand Duke Michael declined to assume the throne. They are also extinct of dynasts in the male-line with Vladimir's death in 1992 under the Pauline Laws.

So, there is certainly a valid argument that a restoration of the monarchy could be with any number of possibilities. It would not necessarily be limited to any of the current descendants.

How to prove the last Russian historical research, Nicholas II did not abdicate the throne. There is no anywhere of the document of abdication. It was supposed to be manifest. On site in the Russian archives is a slip of paper, where there is a pencil signature of the emperor, transferred by the glass with a known signature of the sovereign.

Fake slip of paper.

Last edited:
How to prove the last Russian historical research, Nicholas II did not abdicate the throne. There is no anywhere of the document of abdication. It was supposed to be manifest.

I wonder just how much of it was consensual and yet, so much of it was under duress. I just wonder, what on EARTH would make the Romanovs agree to a successor and head of the family? I don't think there should be anything resembling a restoration until the Romanovs even agree to who should be the head of House.

There will be no Romanov or any monarch of Russia. This is all, silly, conjecture, on a site that invites opinions, which is nice, but has no, real, basis, in fact. Who cares if Nicholas abidicated, he signed a document, or didn't. They have been dead for almost 100 years. It would be like decendants of Cleopatra, trying to revive the throne in Egypt, after the revolution last spring.

yes, well, that's what this thread is for, to enjoy debating these things.

I wonder just how much of it was consensual and yet, so much of it was under duress. I just wonder, what on EARTH would make the Romanovs agree to a successor and head of the family? I don't think there should be anything resembling a restoration until the Romanovs even agree to who should be the head of House.
It seems obvious that, if abdication was tampered, then all the stories about the consent of Nicholas II abdication - a gross lie. He knew the inability of the conspirators to responsible governance. Add to this his great sense of liability Nicholas II for Russia before God. In this case, it was evident from the strong opposition of the emperor and only blackmail loss of his family and his isolation allowed the conspirators to bring revolution to the end.
Participants in the conspiracy have gone so far that they had no more to do but fake abdication.
The Romanovs mostly is combined. Full consolidation may be the result of a variety of possible events. And if it will be minimized outside interference in their relationship.

There will be no Romanov or any monarch of Russia. This is all, silly, conjecture, on a site that invites opinions, which is nice, but has no, real, basis, in fact. Who cares if Nicholas abidicated, he signed a document, or didn't. They have been dead for almost 100 years. It would be like decendants of Cleopatra, trying to revive the throne in Egypt, after the revolution last spring.

To all God's will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I suppose you are right about there being no monarch of Russia, Romanov or other, Countess. Maria V. still claims the 'dynasty' will be under the rule of her son, 'Tsarevich' Georgi. Are there any descendants of Cleopatra around any more, I wonder?

Very good point in post #668, AristoCat. How many 'real' Romanovs(no pretenders or claimants included) do you think there would be to 'fill up' this room? It's too bad the dynasty had to end the way it did in 1918, but now even with a 'Commonwealth of Independent States' there are probably some areas there that haven't improved since Communism ended in the early 1990s, or maybe as far back as the Revolutions of 1905 and 1917. No one in Russia wants a restoration of any kind of monarchy, so the Romanovs(ffs) can fight amongst themselves all they want. They're only interested in bringing the dynasty back for themselves, not the citizens.

According to unconfirmed reports in the restoration of monarchy in Russia stand about 30% of the population. What is the name would not be power in Russia - is always a autocracy. Therefore, the monarchy is the most harmonious form of governance.
The present system of government in Russia located in the ideological impasse. This showed clearly that the elections to the Duma.
During the monarchy of the Romanovs - the 300-year tradition and... the tragic practice. Do the current Russian government only interested in bringing for the citizens, rather than on its authority?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom