Monarchy and Restoration; Rival Families and Claimants

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you sure it won't be in our life time?
Yep, absolutely positive.
I am a young person so I expect it to happen in my lifetime.
Good for you. I wish you long and prosperous life, a centenarian possibly.;)
If you are going to continue discussing politics (ex, changing the regime), please be aware it's prohibited on The Royal Forums (see the Rules).

Sorry did not realize it was but which rule and I didn't mean it that way.

Last edited:
There is little chance of restoration unless someone (i.e. Putin) decides the monarchy would be a useful tool in controlling the image of the State. In that case, the powers that be would decide who they could control best in deciding who will sit on a throne.

Which is why I am a little unnerved at how Maria V. is apparently toadying to people who butchered her ancestors in the past. She does nto realize that leaving it up to the government as controlled by Putin would be in effectively agreeing to be a pawn of the Russian government, not an entity in it's own right. A monarchy would have to work independently of any possible government oversight or control, lest the monarchy end up being used as propaganda or as some 'moral enforcer' of tyrannical policies. Look at how the British monarchy is sometimes accused of just signing away the soveriegnity of the British nation when HM signed the Lisbon treaty.

On the other hand, this may be also why she is not living in Russia - keeping at the same time at arms length.

AristoCat said:
Which is why I am a little unnerved at how Maria V. is apparently toadying to people who butchered her ancestors in the past. She does nto realize that leaving it up to the government as controlled by Putin would be in effectively agreeing to be a pawn of the Russian government, not an entity in it's own right. A monarchy would have to work independently of any possible government oversight or control, lest the monarchy end up being used as propaganda or as some 'moral enforcer' of tyrannical policies. Look at how the British monarchy is sometimes accused of just signing away the soveriegnity of the British nation when HM signed the Lisbon treaty.

Yes it is a good place to blame if something doesn't work very good. Although I would love to see Russia a monarchy again I pray that it is not that way. If you look at the soviet era it is not to different Stalin served his whole life. And kept many things that where used by the old regime. The best way to start a new government is to keep as much of the old regime as possible.

Monarchy proved to be a good replacement for Franco in Spain.

In regards to what might bring back the monarchy, I would think the cause of the end of the present regime might be a contributing factor. I dont know how you would discuss that, without discussing 'politics'.

Yes, but in Spain, it was constitutional monarchy to support the return of democratic elections and Franco was always a monarchist who intended to restore the Borbons.

Russia doesn't have those conditions yet, although it might someday in the future.

Also Spain never ceased to be a monarchy. Under Franco Spain was still a monarchy but without a monarch, Franco being head of state in the absence of a monarch, so monarchy remained part of the Spanish tradition. He also selected the future monarch during his lifetime and prepared the groundwork for the peaceful succession and transition. There were also fewer disputes amongst the Bourbons than there are amongst the Romanovs.

In regards to what might bring back the monarchy, I would think the cause of the end of the present regime might be a contributing factor. I dont know how you would discuss that, without discussing 'politics'.
In Russia we use word 'political power' not 'a regime' (the latter word has a biased emotional subtext).
Back to topic, the Romanovs' have no chances to gain the throne, they are very non-popular amidst Russians. The whole new dynasty has a chance, one or two generations later, when all born in USSR are dead.
It took Mozes two generations to fulfil his job;)

Kasumi said:
In Russia we use word 'political power' not 'a regime' (the latter word has a biased emotional subtext).
Back to topic, the Romanovs' have no chances to gain the throne, they are very non-popular amidst Russians. The whole new dynasty has a chance, one or two generations later, when all born in USSR are dead.
It took Mozes two generations to fulfil his job;)

I was thinking the monarchy couldn't comeback until that happened. When it comes back though would they a make new law of session to replace the one Paul made in 1797? When they pic a new dynasty what kind of guidelines do you think they will use to pic the next monarch?

branchg said:
Yes, but in Spain, it was constitutional monarchy to support the return of democratic elections and Franco was always a monarchist who intended to restore the Borbons.

Russia doesn't have those conditions yet, although it might someday in the future.

I didn't know that he always intended to restore them. Then why did he get rid of them? But back to the thread, Russia is not ready for a monarchy yet. She is still working on trying to fix all the bad things that the soviet union did to her and the world. I think most of us agree that the soviet union is a stain on Russia's history and her people. Although they are not ready for a monarchy now they will be once they get out of the dying Soviet era.

Spain elected anti-monarchists and the king went ino exile. Then there was a war, and Franco took over running it as if he was regent to the king. Only when he was old did he bring back the monarchy, but it was a planned out over time restoration.

It would be more like Putin deciding that when he is old and leaves politics that the monarchy will replace him ato upset his rivals and then starting to prepare Georgi for that time. Like Franco, I'd see him going with the son.

But Putin is too tied to the past and admiring of its leaders for Georgi to get in bed with him, I'd think.

Maria wants to build up their prominence, get back assets, and restore the name of their ancestors. Once there is already change, then move to Russia, then work towards restoration.

More akin to what Crown Prince Alexander has accomplished and is doing in Serbia. He did not move there until 2000 after Milosevic was toppled, and got back then got back the assets, was formally recognized, and restored his ancestors name. He is seen as the most likely monarch to be restored and the hardest working non-reigning royal.

That is what she needs to do, and it will take at least ten years and may not produce fruition until she is old and Georgi is the one who becomes czar.

"Although they are not ready for a monarchy now they will be once they get out of the dying Soviet era. "
Doubtful....too much time will have passed and no one with a memory of living in a monarchy will survive, and their memories would not have been all that favorable,

Other monarchies have come back from longer, but you are correct they will have no memory of living in a monarchy. But even with Spain having a more than forty year stretch without one.

It will all be about the people involved in the PR and the royals themselves. Maria and Georgi would need an environment of change and then would have to really work at it for years to prove themselves as a alternative head of state like Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia is doing. Or run for office like Simeon of Bulgaria and try to evolve it from there.

It would not be so much like a restoration, as new alternative. I do not think Maria or Georgi has the cult of personality to win by popularity, but she may be willing to work hard for it like Alexander. Over time they would prove themselves and Russia would be ready and will to have a monarchy.

The Romanovs have the same stain as the Soviet leaders. Why do you think there was a revolution??

Ceallach said:
Other monarchies have come back from longer, but you are correct they will have no memory of living in a monarchy. But even with Spain having a more than forty year stretch without one.

It will all be about the people involved in the PR and the royals themselves. Maria and Georgi would need an environment of change and then would have to really work at it for years to prove themselves as a alternative head of state like Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia is doing. Or run for office like Simeon of Bulgaria and try to evolve it from there.

It would not be so much like a restoration, as new alternative. I do not think Maria or Georgi has the cult of personality to win by popularity, but she may be willing to work hard for it like Alexander. Over time they would prove themselves and Russia would be ready and will to have a monarchy.
At the moment Maria needs to work harder by trying to do more charity for the people in Russia similar to Crown Prince Alexander and his family do in Serbia. I doubt on the other hand that she could get very far in the current Russian politics. I think we have to see a restoration of a monarchy like in Serbia and other countries in the Balkans before Russia will think of restoration.

If she wants to reign in Russia it would be helpful if she & Georgi lived in Russia, at their own expense and not the states, and started working for Russian charities to assist the Russian people.

At the moment Maria needs to work harder by trying to do more charity for the people in Russia similar to Crown Prince Alexander and his family do in Serbia. I doubt on the other hand that she could get very far in the current Russian politics. I think we have to see a restoration of a monarchy like in Serbia and other countries in the Balkans before Russia will think of restoration.

Quite honestly Maria seems to seek a restoration where the Russian taxpayers support her, which is plain clinical insanity because that would break Russian backs. She and her son need to be self supporting and need to be working for Russia beyond just PR and the cult of personality. It isn't working with these reigning royal families and they are becoming a sick joke ("Princess Sofia of Sweden" anyone?) and PR stunts and charity work is just a way to look good, not actually help. IF there is a restoration it will have to be done where the royals are self supporting and working with the Russians shoulder to shoulder and working just as hard as anyone else.

NGalitzine said:
If she wants to reign in Russia it would be helpful if she & Georgi lived in Russia, at their own expense and not the states, and started working for Russian charities to assist the Russian people.
Yes they need to be more like Alexander of Serbia and I believe Michael of Romania has done the same. She should stop trying so hard to get the state to pay for it. When the state won't do it.

AristoCat said:
...IF there is a restoration it will have to be done where the royals are self supporting and working with the Russians shoulder to shoulder and working just as hard as anyone else.
I doubt Maria would work as hard as other Russians (not that I don't like her but they do need to step up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite right, which means that it would be up to Georgi to end up doing it. She is old, but it is irrational to think that the Russians should support ANYONE with their taxmoney in regards to royalty. There is also Prince Rostislav who is a direct descendant of Grand Duchess Xenia and irrespective of whether or not he fits in accordance to the Pauline Laws, a newly agreed upon monarch could easily modify them and edit several things out.

More akin to what Crown Prince Alexander has accomplished and is doing in Serbia. He did not move there until 2000 after Milosevic was toppled, and got back then got back the assets, was formally recognized, and restored his ancestors name. He is seen as the most likely monarch to be restored and the hardest working non-reigning royal.
It is ok for Maria to wait too before moving there, but she does indeed need to be more involved in Russian charities and can not have being on the government payroll as a condition of her return. She needs to be helping the russian people, and go back when there is change to assist them further like Alexander.

While Nicholas on Montenegro is returning with a salary and expense account attached - it is that of a politician not a king. I suspect Alexander may have the same at this point too, but both worked from afar to help there people to be given their political appointments. She may get that in time too, but I think she may expect more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ya she needs to give up on having the state give her money. I don't read much on her but does she have enough money to by a home and finance maids and servants if she did want to go back?

I believe it is her half sister Helen, from her mothers first marriage to a wealthy American, who has the money.

Ya she needs to give up on having the state give her money. I don't read much on her but does she have enough money to by a home and finance maids and servants if she did want to go back?

Either way, taxpayer support just isn't going to happen.

This question does not interest the Russian citizens now, because it is too many more important issues. I can't speak for all of Russians, but it is almost certain that the majority of citizens against such a decision...

Back
Top Bottom