Monarchy and Restoration; Rival Families and Claimants

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Suspend your belief for a moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Imperial House of Russia represents an hereditary Monarchy so things are like this.The main issue is that there is no sign for a restoration of Monarchy now.
Why should Putin or Medvedev want to restore the Romanovs?

The Imperial House of Russia represents an hereditary Monarchy so things are like this.The main issue is that there is no sign for a restoration of Monarchy now.
Why should Putin or Medvedev want to restore the Romanovs?

They won't. It's not going to happen and there is little-to-no support for a monarchy in Russia among average citizens.

Okay folks, I was talking about a fantasy, not in real life...it came out of my idle curiosity and imagination...

Strangely the russian authorities are very pleased to see Grand Duchess Maria visiting Ukraine or the separatist region of Transnistria because like this the russian influence is underlined.

AristoCat said:
Are there not more neutral choices?

I just picked those three off the top of my head...knowing of anyone other than Georgi won, Maria would freak...

I could have myself up. All my German ancestors moved to Russia before coming to the US. ;-). My great-great-grandpa surrendered his allegiance to Tsar Nicholas II. His father and his father's nephew surrendered their allegiances to the Provisional Government... When they became US citizens.

Any political party with members in the Duma is in favour of monarchy?

Maybe the russian authorities will try to use the imperial House in their attemp to reconquer peacefully the ex parts of the Russian Empire.The visits of Grand Duchess Maria in Ukraine proves that I suppose.

I doubt that. Once the box is opened, it will not be closed and certainly not but some pretender to a pretend throne.

I do not suppose Grand Duchess Maria visits Ukraine or the separatist Tiraspol without the knowledge of the russian government.

Last edited:
It seems that Czech rep. and Russia have the same problems with monarchism. Both countries had long period of monarchy in their history. Both monarchies were abolished. Nowaday, people dont want to restore monarchy and hate (I am sure about mostly Czechs, dont know about Russians) House which governed its country in 19/20 century - Habsburgs and Romanovs. There is one political party in Czech rep. which wants to restore Habsburgs, their support is below 1% (0,6 or so). I know Czechs which would agree with restorestion but dont agree with Habsburgs as reigning House. There should be referendum about restoration in 2013 (that political party want to organize it).

To sum up and be in topic - let people make a choice, if they want monarchy (in Russia and Czech rep.) and who should be monarch - Romanovs, Habsburgs, other

Is this debate archived anywhere? I would like to listen it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know for sure.It must be in Russian anyway.

Their debate is very interesting,here is a possible translation:

Google

One of experts says that GD Maria Vladimirovna is not a good variant for Russia as she is not very well-known and popular among Russians.

Surely many russians do not know Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna.The debate reflects the different menthalities in nowadays Russia.strangely the idea of constitutional monarchy was not well explained.

Last edited:
If there were to be a restoration, it would have to be with the Romanovs being self supporting and not involved in any taxpayer support or politics. the thing is, Russians cannot afford a restoration that would involve them supporting the Romanov Family and it would be better of the ROmanovs worked to make a living, which would keep them more attached to their fellow Russians than just making appearances would. Working for a living would keep them out of trouble and would probably end up understanding the real problems facing Russia and would be able to do more about it than just making some token appearance at a disaster site.

Nice idea, Aritsocat, but that is not what they are in it for. They want the trappings, too.

Well, I'm all for the restored RF to preside over ceremonies and special events on behalf of the government, but let them pay for their own homes and only wear the state jewels with permission and whatever other jewels they want, let them pay for it themselves. No stipend from the government though, let them make their own way in the world.

First of all Monarchy should be restored in Russian and then the Parliamentd decides the funds for the imperial Family.

No, no taxpayer monies should go to them; put frankly they need to work at an actual job when not presiding over events they are assigned to preside over.

I would prefer scenario like in Liechtenstein. You know, give Romanovs back some property and no taxes.

There is no Royal Family which reigns but receives nothing (properties,funds) from the state.If Monarchy is restored in russia there should be funds given to the imperial House to mantain the palaces and to organize public events.

:previous:
The Monarchies of Thailand and Liechtenstein are self-funding.

But they have both properties and they do not pay taxes.

:previous:
The Monarchies of Thailand and Liechtenstein are self-funding.

Liechtenstein is very special case. A tiny principality that it was one of the estates of that family. Today is a country that cannot do anything with the prince private property, because the country is the prince private property.
Thailand is hardly a constitutional monarchy:sad:

In a democracy a royal family should receive an annual income voted by the parliament. Most royals in Europe don't own anymore large palaces, and because they work for the people they are being paid and don't have to 'work'. By doing it those royals are 100% dedicated to representing the people and royal finances are transparent. Like all representatives of the state and of the government in all democratic republics:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom