Monarchy and Restoration; Rival Families and Claimants

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know anything about this handsome Russian prince who lives in NY ? He was on a US TV programme called Young, Rich and Royal or something. I think he is a member of the Prince Romanov's clan rather than the Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna's .

i am not sure what you mean by "Prince Romanov's clan" There are Americans descended from Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich Romanov. I believe they go by the surname Illyinsky and use Romanov (or Romanoff) as a middle name. Could you be more specific or come up with a name?

There are also some descendants of Grand Duke Alexander and Grand Duchess Xenia living in the US, and most of them are supporters of Prince Nicholas Romanovic and the Romanov Family Association rather than Maria Vladimirovna.

Of course, those who wish for a Tsar, have no idea what it was like to live under one.

and you have idea??? you must be very old then.:lol: in my family my grandparents and great grandmother always have talked to me and told me stories from the past. they were monarchists and always will be. the russians know that revolution was a big mistake. we had more terror after the tsar was gone. even the enemies of the monarchy admit it. but americans knows it best, right?;)

I think it largely depends on what a particular family or individual lost or gained due to the revolution of 1917. I am not sure about "the russians know that revolution was a big mistake". It is incorrect to make such blanket statements.

Last edited:
i am not sure what you mean by "Prince Romanov's clan" There are Americans descended from Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich Romanov. I believe they go by the surname Illyinsky and use Romanov (or Romanoff) as a middle name. Could you be more specific or come up with a name?
VM, I think it's one of Xenia and Sandro's brood, remember she popped out an awful lot of boys--much to Alix's dismay!

Of course, those who wish for a Tsar, have no idea what it was like to live under one.
As those who did are dead. :grin: However, it is a romantic notion, not logical, but romantic none the less.

Last edited by a moderator:
My maternal grandmother's family and extended family came from Latvia and Poland. Al bina hit it right on the nail when she said that your opinion on the Tsar would depend on a family or individual's experiences in the 1917 revolution. By 1917 though, most of my grandmother's family had left Latvia and Poland and most of them lived in the United States. Some of them left in the 1880's but a large group of them left in 1896. My great-grandmother was in the 1896 group.

Latvia was a country which would provide access to the sea, something which Russia needed. Prussia (present day Germany) also had interests in Latvia (a buffer against the Russians). Latvia was like a pawn which both countries tried to use to their advantage. Latvia was occupied by troops in both countries at various times.

In 1896 when my great-grandmother left with her family, there were Russian troops in Lativa. I would imagine the Tsar ordered them into Latvia. It was a living nightmare for anyone who lived in Latvia or anyone who lived where these troops were. This is what my grandmother was told by family members who lived in Latvia.

When the Tsar was overthrown, those who controlled the military were even more brutal. They were worse than the Tsar, that's for sure.

Last edited:
and you have idea??? you must be very old then.:lol: in my family my grandparents and great grandmother always have talked to me and told me stories from the past. they were monarchists and always will be. the russians know that revolution was a big mistake. we had more terror after the tsar was gone. even the enemies of the monarchy admit it. but americans knows it best, right?;)

Of course, I have no first hand idea. But my mother was born in Russia and she is still alive and she lived under the Tsar and, yes, she is very old, she will be 96 and still is very sharp phyically and mentally. Of course, she, too lived here most of her life, but her family, my grandmother and great aunts, who I was close to, certainly, told me that life under the Tsars was no better than life under the Communists. There was plenty of terror under the Tsars. Both regimes were awful. Look for something in between. For me the revolution was a blessing, because my grandmother took her 3 children, my mother among them and fled and came to the United States. I, Thank the Lord that happened.

My maternal grandmother's family and extended family came from Latvia and Poland. Al bina hit it right on the nail when she said that your opinion on the Tsar would depend on a family or individual's experiences in the 1917 revolution. By 1917 though, most of my grandmother's family had left Latvia and Poland and most of them lived in the United States. Some of them left in the 1880's but a large group of them left in 1896. My great-grandmother was in the 1896 group.

Latvia was a country which would provide access to the sea, something which Russia needed. Prussia (present day Germany) also had interests in Latvia (a buffer against the Russians). Latvia was like a pawn which both countries tried to use to their advantage. Latvia was occupied by troops in both countries at various times.

In 1896 when my great-grandmother left with her family, there were Russian troops in Lativa. I would imagine the Tsar ordered them into Latvia. It was a living nightmare for anyone who lived in Latvia or anyone who lived where these troops were. This is what my grandmother was told by family members who lived in Latvia.

When the Tsar was overthrown, those who controlled the military were even more brutal. They were worse than the Tsar, that's for sure.

Latvia and Estonia came under Russian rule in the 18th century, although the Baltic German nobility retained their privileges. Poland and Lithuania came under Russian rule by 1795 (including Ukraine and Belarus), other parts of Poland coming under Austrian and Prussian rule too. The Caucasus came under Russian rule fully by the 19th century.

Now Tsarist Russia was a terrible regime, and even attempts to reform were half-hearted at best. Serfdom was abolished in the 19th century, only to be reinstated by Stalin.

Dare I say, the current Putin-led regime in Russia can be described as neo-Tsarist.

Well, I saw on telly this Russian gentleman who is called his Highness Prince Nicholas Romanov who created his family association or something. He was disputing about Maria Vladimirovna's claim as the head of the House of Romanov and claimed that he was the rightful head of the Romanov clan.

There are also some descendants of Grand Duke Alexander and Grand Duchess Xenia living in the US, and most of them are supporters of Prince Nicholas Romanovic and the Romanov Family Association rather than Maria Vladimirovna.

Thank you. This is what I meant.

Anyway, do you happen to recognise this lovely looking prince who is a member of Prince Nicholas's side of family ?

Well, I saw on telly this Russian gentleman who is called his Highness Prince Nicholas Romanov who created his family association or something. He was disputing about Maria Vladimirovna's claim as the head of the House of Romanov and claimed that he was the rightful head of the Romanov clan.

Iamtheoneandonly,

Perhaps you can find some answers in this link:

The Romanoff Family Association

I did find a Wiki article about Prince Nicholas Romanovich but he lives in Europe with his wife and three daughters. I cannot find any Romanov prince who lives in NYC

Of course, I have no first hand idea. But my mother was born in Russia and she is still alive and she lived under the Tsar and, yes, she is very old, she will be 96 and still is very sharp phyically and mentally. Of course, she, too lived here most of her life, but her family, my grandmother and great aunts, who I was close to, certainly, told me that life under the Tsars was no better than life under the Communists. There was plenty of terror under the Tsars. Both regimes were awful. Look for something in between. For me the revolution was a blessing, because my grandmother took her 3 children, my mother among them and fled and came to the United States. I, Thank the Lord that happened.
Very cool family history Countess! <Russo inserts thumbs up here>

Iamtheoneandonly, Perhaps you can find some answers in this link...
Thank you for your message.

Well, now, if I think about it, his name might have been Alexander or something. I remember him saying on TV that his nickname among his friends in NY was "frog" because, by nationality, he was French. I think he was involved in modelling/filming sort of profession.
:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for the above info. It's an interesting article. However, I do not think that late Theodore Romanoff does not sound to be my prince. If my memory is correct, he was a socialite in NY according to that TV show. He apparently speaks French as well as English because his nationality is French. I may be wrong but his name is Alexander.

Thank you for the above info. It's an interesting article. However, I do not think that late Theodore Romanoff does not sound to be my prince. If my memory is correct, he was a socialite in NY according to that TV show. He apparently speaks French as well as English because his nationality is French. I may be wrong but his name is Alexander.
Alexander what? That will help in determining which branch of the family he's from. (I'm sure you know that :flowers:)

Alexander what? That will help in determining which branch of the family he's from. (I'm sure you know that :flowers:)

Well, on this show, they did not mention about this prince's so&so vich bit. If my memory is correct, they refered to him as Prince Alexander or Alex or whatever. All I remember about him was that he was nicknamed as "frog" by his socialite friends because he was French by nationality, he was a model and was in the filming sort of industry, too. I am not sure but I have a feeling that he was a member of the Prince Nicholas Romanovich Romanov's group. He was tall, had blue eyes, corn blonde hair and a well-tanned look.

The restoration of monarchy in Russia-the candidates and other variants

It's well-known that there are more pretenders to the Russian throne,but I wonder when this question arises on referendum or other official dialogues.There is an official pretender to the throne-the Duke Georgii Romanov,then Prince Michael of Kent,Rostislav Romanov and some others.

:previous:
Prince Michael of Kent is not a pretender to the Russian throne.

Prince Michael of Kent is not a pretender to the Russian throne.
But he travels most of all to Russia,I was at one of the meetings at an University.Although I didn't speak to him ,but I mentioned his resemblance to Nicholas II and many times he made a suggestion about being the ruler of restored Russian monarchy

That may well be so, but he is not a pretender to the Russian throne.

But he travels most of all to Russia,I was at one of the meetings at an University.Although I didn't speak to him ,but I mentioned his resemblance to Nicholas II and many times he made a suggestion about being the ruler of restored Russian monarchy
And wouldn't that just tickle Marie-Christine pink!:D

i wish they could be tsar and tsarina. they are wasted, so imperial looking and intelligent. more royal than the rest of the boring british royal family. i prefer prince michael to maria vladimirovna. ((((( i believe in ten years the monarchy will be back in russia.

Michael of Kent and his wife Marie-Christine? Tsar and Tsarina? It’s a joke?
Marie Christine will be just interested in imperial life, castles ...and new russians wife’s way of life.
It’s surprising how much number of cadet princes are obsessed to have a throne as their brother or cousin heir! No matter the country and their real capacities to be better than the politicians or certain providential men (Churchill, de Gaulle)!
The Kent should be worried of serving the queen and more still the United Kingdom.
They speak about several languages and are cousins and sometimes very close to European dynasties. If poor Russia says not, they are going to aspire to the throne of Greece, Hanover, Denmark, Albania, Bulgaria ...?

no, i am not joking and is not true what you write, they come to russia very often. we have almost adopted prince michael and princess michael is working for organisations and does good things for poor people. when she comes to moscow and st petersburg she wears discreet outfit and is friendly. the opposite of new russian wife's way of life as you call it. i am russian, i know my country and the people on the streets. why do you think you can judge in such things in finland? it is a shame that less and less people respect real royals. ((((

I indeed want to believe in you... it’s that she wants absolutely the throne for her husband!lol!
A Real Saint Elisabeth!
What a pity she plays only in jet set charities with all her jewels on her in England! I am sure that the british homeless would be delighted be served a bowl of soup by a Royal Highness each evening.

But by thinking specifically of Russia, I read that one or of two princes (Prince Dmitri???) Romanov come so very often in Russia and are invested a lot for the children?

But well we should not confuse voluntary work, persons working due to their trainings as humanitarian workers (and it can be also Princes I think of the deceased Prince Claus) and stars or princes given much their persons to draw the attention on problems or of sad situations.

But I remain more sensitive to the opinion of Queen Elisabeth on her «*dear*» cousin-in-law Marie-Christine and continue to think that Russia can perfectly do without Princess Marie-Christine and her son.

I disagree with you reginalix. If you knew Marie Christine, she would work her buttski off to make it work were she crowned Tsarina. She's not my favorite Royal by far (That is reserved for HM EQII and TPR Anne) however she has enough pride and duty engraved in her to do the job. She actually, would be perfect for the job, IMO.

When compared to main pretenders to the Russian Imperial throne, Prince and Princess Michael are viewed as the most qualified for the job. At the same time, it is worth noting that Prince Michael has never said or implied in any manner that he is one of the pretenders.

Last edited:
...however she has enough pride and duty engraved in her to do the job....of course!

Oh I think that she’ s rather human to be touched by the distress of the orphans of Russian Federation...

But the capacity to play perfectly the patronesse lady doesn’t make you a good Queen. Her husband seems to me more authentic and realistic in his love for Russia.

I suppose that you proposed Kent because this Prince had some Romanov blood, spoke Russian, had an address book in Russia... And that his wife would add a prestigious and glamorous touch.
She’s too much attached to the signs of royal wealth (the most spectacular jewels etc.) and in her beauty to really care about the most common and difficult details of Russia beyond clichés (Slavic soul, treasure of the Czars). She’s too western to dread the not Russian peoples of the Federation, the other citizens.
And I think that his son doesn’t able to be a tsarevich.

People serious and ready to sacrifice themself so much to reconstruct and Russia and monarchic principle are needed.
There are lots of Princes or Princesses Romanov, Riukhikids, Russian descendants of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania, with a better knowledge of Russia, less show off, more sincere for the «* job*».

But if we decided for the candidacy of the nice Prince de Kent, there would be a difficulty.
His wife always refused to be converted (already for her marriage)! She would refuse Orthodoxy.
And her husband has never uttered the slightest intention to be also converted. Only Prince Charles and his father frequent orthodox monasteries in Greece and in England and if they were converted to the orthodox Christianity it would sound less false than Kent.
And it’s an essential aspect and taken very seriously by the Russians.

Back
Top Bottom