The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Imperial Family of Russia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 05-18-2008, 04:51 AM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 14,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi4 View Post
It isn't in Romanov Autumn. I just checked. It talks about how hurt Marie was when Ella decided to convert.
Lexi
A bit late, but I finally found it in Romanov autumn. In the chapter ' A House Devided' it is said that Miechen converted in 1908, mainly out of ambition for her sons future. I do not know where Zeepvat gets the information from though, as she does not use footnotes.
__________________

__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: St. Louis, United States
Posts: 13
That is intereting, one would have thought she would have converted long before. I believe there was some tension or dislike if you call it from the Dowager Empress, and there was a story about the Marinsky Theatre, which I believe was not the first time Marie Pavlovna found herself at adds with the ruler, his consort or his Mother.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Raleigh, United States
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post
That is intereting, one would have thought she would have converted long before. I believe there was some tension or dislike if you call it from the Dowager Empress, and there was a story about the Marinsky Theatre, which I believe was not the first time Marie Pavlovna found herself at adds with the ruler, his consort or his Mother.
Ah. The Mariinsky Theater story is one of my favorites. For those of you who don't know it, I'll paraphrase it here.

The Dowager Empress used to have two tables set up with refreshments and invited the most prestigious people in the theater to dine with her. Sometimes the Empress Marie would go to reserve the space and the Grand Duchess would have already reserved it. As retaliation the Empress booked it the same evening as the Grand Duchess and the Grand Duchess, utterly embaressed in front of her guests, was forced to give up her table. The Grand Duchess, to her credit, bowed out and never tried to rival the Empress at the Mariinsky again. :)
__________________
I did not become the King's First Minister to preside over the collapse of the British Empire!
-Sir Winston Churchill
До Бо́га высоко́, до Царя́ далеко́ (God is very high up and the Tsar is very far away)
-Russian Proverb
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Grace Angel's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa, United States
Posts: 462
I think it's interesting how so many of the Russian people at the court etc considered Alexandra Feodorovna the wife of the last Tsar a snob, when she was just shy. But Marie Pavlovna and Elena were the real thing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 14,251
I suppose if you are an HIRH it isn't called snobism though, as it stands for sans nobilité, something both women can not be accused of .
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi4 View Post
Who got the money from the sale?
Grand Duke Boris. Marie Pavlovna died in Switzerland after escaping Russia in 1920.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: here and there, Greece
Posts: 535
I believe that Marie Pavlova and Marie Feodorovna didn't really have a bad relationship, in the sence that they didn't detest each other. To me , they seems to be more social rivals and to be competing for the first place in St. Petersburg's society. Who Marie Pavlova really detested was Alix, because she felt that she couldn't live up to the Romanov's expectations. She often commented about her absence from society: " One needs to know how to do his job". And we must admitt that she was probably ideal on that. That's how she earned her title " the Grandest of the Grand Duchesses"
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Though because of her grandness and the spoiling of Elena, they had a bit of a difficult time finding her a husband.
Though I must say I would have love to have met her. Can you imagine?? The cuts would be deep, the slights done with flair, the magnanimous gestures truely head spinning!
__________________
"Not MGM, not the press, not anyone can tell me what to do."--Ava Gardner
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: here and there, Greece
Posts: 535
Well, Elena prospects of marrigae was a bitter, bitter subject. She was first engaged to Max of Baden but the engagement was borken off and Marie felt so angry and humiliated. Then she pulled her pieces together and decided taht she should try for Albert of Belgium. She insisted that the Imperial couple should invite him for a state visit and made her daughter write a letter to Alix, imploring her to invite him and stating that " her whole future depended on that" But then , the invitation never came and Albert announced his engagement to Elisabeth of Bavaria.... Marie Pavlova even said that Nicholas deliberately didn't help in order to destroy Elena's futrure. Then she decided that maybe a rich Thurn und Taxis prince would be ok enough. But since she managed nothing and after turning down Nicholas of Greece's proposals for two years , she finally let them marry. And the irony is that he was by far the better match any of her children made after all
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 AM
CarolinaLandgrave's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflower View Post
I believe that Marie Pavlova and Marie Feodorovna didn't really have a bad relationship, in the sence that they didn't detest each other. To me , they seems to be more social rivals and to be competing for the first place in St. Petersburg's society. Who Marie Pavlova really detested was Alix, because she felt that she couldn't live up to the Romanov's expectations. She often commented about her absence from society: " One needs to know how to do his job". And we must admitt that she was probably ideal on that. That's how she earned her title " the Grandest of the Grand Duchesses"
Were not Vladimir and Michen instrumental in getting Alix to accept Nicky?? In Caterine Clay's King, Kaiser, Tsar", Nicholas writes that he and Alix had "their talk" after her return from a visit with Aunt Michen...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 03-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaLandgrave View Post
Were not Vladimir and Michen instrumental in getting Alix to accept Nicky?? In Caterine Clay's King, Kaiser, Tsar", Nicholas writes that he and Alix had "their talk" after her return from a visit with Aunt Michen...
That would be interesting because didn't Michen NOT convert from Luthernism until later? After Nicky and Alix were married??
__________________
"Not MGM, not the press, not anyone can tell me what to do."--Ava Gardner
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 03-11-2010, 03:17 PM
EmpressRouge's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaLandgrave View Post
Were not Vladimir and Michen instrumental in getting Alix to accept Nicky?? In Caterine Clay's King, Kaiser, Tsar", Nicholas writes that he and Alix had "their talk" after her return from a visit with Aunt Michen...
I've always read that it was Ella (and Wilhelm for dynastic reasons wanted a German relative on the Russian throne) who convinced Alix to convert, being her sister and having gone through the exact same thing (only Ella was not required to convert and only did so after the marriage).
__________________
Real princesses always wear sleeves so why do we all go for strapless?
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM
CarolinaLandgrave's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
I've always read that it was Ella (and Wilhelm for dynastic reasons wanted a German relative on the Russian throne) who convinced Alix to convert, being her sister and having gone through the exact same thing (only Ella was not required to convert and only did so after the marriage).
As I had always heard as well.... but in Clay's book, page 162:

"A wonderful, unforgettable day in my life - the day of my betrothal to my dear, beloved Alix. She came to Aunt Michen after 10 o'clock and after they had a talk, she and I had our discussion. God, what a mountain has fallen from my shoulders....Wilhelm sat in the next room with the uncles and aunts and waited the outcome of our talk" Nicholas wrote on 20 Apr 1894...

It sounds like Alix went to Aunt Michen with the specific purpose to chat about the religion question (and it seems odd to me seeing that neither she nor Ella converted until much later after their marriage)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Vasillisos Markos's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Crete, United States
Posts: 1,158
Nicholas' diary entry lacks specifics on the conversation between Michen and Alix. Perhaps the two women merely chatted or perhaps Alix questioned Michen about life in the Russia and how her marriage was affected by her religious beliefs.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 03-12-2010, 04:18 PM
CarolinaLandgrave's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
Nicholas' diary entry lacks specifics on the conversation between Michen and Alix. Perhaps the two women merely chatted or perhaps Alix questioned Michen about life in the Russia and how her marriage was affected by her religious beliefs.
This is true.... from the way it reads, this was the topic. As neither of know of will ever know... I guess we have to assume, as you said, it could have been about anything from religion to what was for dinner.... that's the great thing about the unknowns of history... we came interpret it or make it conform to anything. Correct?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 03-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Distrito federal, Mexico
Posts: 239
I read that Grand Duchess Vladimir was a difficult woman. She wanted special treatment.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 03-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaLandgrave View Post

It sounds like Alix went to Aunt Michen with the specific purpose to chat about the religion question (and it seems odd to me seeing that neither she nor Ella converted until much later after their marriage)
According to Christopher Warwick (Ella: Pincess, Saint, & Martyr) Ella converted at her marriage to Grand Duke Serge which distressed her father terribly.
Though that is an interesting point, CL, that Alix went specifically to Michen for something. I wish I was a fly on the wall at that meeting. . .
__________________
"Not MGM, not the press, not anyone can tell me what to do."--Ava Gardner
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 PM
EmpressRouge's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,293
So we all know about what a formidable woman, but I don't know anything about Grand Duke Vladimir's character. What was he like? Marie broke off a previous engagement to marry him. Must have been an interesting character himself married to such a woman.
__________________
Real princesses always wear sleeves so why do we all go for strapless?
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 03-12-2010, 11:05 PM
CarolinaLandgrave's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
According to Christopher Warwick (Ella: Pincess, Saint, & Martyr) Ella converted at her marriage to Grand Duke Serge which distressed her father terribly.
Though that is an interesting point, CL, that Alix went specifically to Michen for something. I wish I was a fly on the wall at that meeting. . .
ME TOO, Russo - that would have been worth all the gold in the Imperial coffers!
Just to know what Alix and Aunt Michen talked about
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 03-12-2010, 11:06 PM
CarolinaLandgrave's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
So we all know about what a formidable woman, but I don't know anything about Grand Duke Vladimir's character. What was he like? Marie broke off a previous engagement to marry him. Must have been an interesting character himself married to such a woman.
Who was she previously engaged too??? I always read that Alexander II was very anxious to get GD Vlad married and settled... seems he was a character as well!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
grand duchess helena, grand duchess vladimir, grand duke kyrill, grand duke vladimir, maria pavlovna


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Belgian Royal Family and the name Marie Empress Royal Family of Belgium 15 06-24-2008 04:39 AM
Princess Marie Clotilde Bonaparte (1912-1996) Empress The Imperial House of Bonaparte 4 11-28-2006 09:50 AM
Princess Marie zu Wied & Duke Friedrich von Württemberg 1993 Cathérine Bergeyck Weddings: Non-Reigning Houses & Nobility 25 04-17-2006 12:55 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman palace pieter van vollenhoven poland pom president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]