The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Imperial Family of Russia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 01-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 797
I did not learn any foreign languages until I was 14. But believe me, I could tell the difference between English, German, French and Italian at a very early age. And with all those Europeans living in Ekaterinburg, it is only natural that most people there could distinguish between the different languages without being able to understand or speak them. I think Americans are the only people who are completely in the dark when it comes to foreign languages, never having had a real need to learn them.
__________________

  #162  
Old 01-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Anna was Franziska's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 823
Well Chat, whether or not I believe you, none of this, or my personal experiences, prove what Nicholas, AA, AN or the Bolsheviks knew. But it's ridiculous to say that Americans are the only ones who don't pick up foreign languages, I'm sure there are people in Russia who are no better at it. Just having foreigners in Ekaterinburg doesn't mean every person in town would know the languages if they had no reason to speak to the foreigners. I sure haven't picked up any Spanish though my WalMart is full of immigrants from Mexico and Guatemala, and the old lady at work hasn't made me skillful in Hungarian. People only learn the langauge if there is a reason to, not just because a person who speaks it happens to be around town.

Not all Americans are bad at languages, my niece is fluent in Spanish and is spending her last year in college as an exchange student living with a family in Spain. She's been all over Europe, Paris, Rome, but hasn't picked up any other languages just from being there.(but her experiences also do not prove what Nicholas, AN, or the Bolsheviks knew!)
__________________

  #163  
Old 01-20-2009, 01:37 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
Well Chat, whether or not I believe you, none of this, or my personal experiences, prove what Nicholas, AA, AN or the Bolsheviks knew.
Sorry, we have already established, without doubt, that all the Grand Duchesses took serious German lessons all the way to Tobolsk. Their own workbooks testify to that. But according to people close to them, they did not speak German very well.
  #164  
Old 01-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
Well Chat, whether or not I believe you, none of this, or my personal experiences, prove what Nicholas, AA, AN or the Bolsheviks knew. But it's ridiculous to say that Americans are the only ones who don't pick up foreign languages, I'm sure there are people in Russia who are no better at it. Just having foreigners in Ekaterinburg doesn't mean every person in town would know the languages if they had no reason to speak to the foreigners. I sure haven't picked up any Spanish though my WalMart is full of immigrants from Mexico and Guatemala.
And I am not talking about picking up languages, just being able to tell the difference between the various ones.
  #165  
Old 01-20-2009, 01:43 AM
Anna was Franziska's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChatNoir View Post
Sorry, we have already established, without doubt, that all the Grand Duchesses took serious German lessons all the way to Tobolsk. Their own workbooks testify to that. But according to people close to them, they did not speak German very well.
We have established that though Nicholas studied German for years, as a grown man he admitted to not being able to understand it (at least according to one book) and that many other people take lessons and don't remember a word. We have also established that everybody who knew the family said they never used German.
  #166  
Old 01-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: US, United States
Posts: 288
I keep on delightedly reading insights that represent an allusion to answers that may make sense into being regardful about the happenings of the true nature of the matter at hand. I not only get involved with the descriptions about history but the inclusion of the overall knowing you dispel when turning to this section of our beloved Royals. Coming here I learn about inclusions and acclamations and declarations that are informing and array my viewing of my own life. For instance, I was so pleased in what has been said here recently about languages that it has inspired me to get closer to Spanish. I read it, talk it but I don't invest in it. I thank you for helping me journey further into taking time and reading Spanish newspapers. I'm realizing how wonderful and beautiful it is. I'm not forgetting it and I am inspired to learn more through your depictions here. Maybe at sometime later I'll learn Italian, or German or Swedish. Chat Noir what do you say about the Swedish language. I think I remember that you lived there or Norway. If I may ask, what language do you think is a good one?

In truth I can't help but enjoy reading your assertions. They include quite the wealth of knowledge and dedication. I'm glad that you are trying to bring an awareness towards enlightenment and satisfaction in truth portrayal. Of course there is leverage on to one side and if both sides have a little bit of truth then maybe you will argue for a long time still. Good luck in all that. I'm sure you mean only to make sense to one another and that is fine. Bless you in all your workings.
  #167  
Old 01-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Furienna's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 1,316
Wow... I don't know what to believe anymore.
  #168  
Old 01-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -----------, United States
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChatNoir View Post
Sorry, we have already established, without doubt, that all the Grand Duchesses took serious German lessons all the way to Tobolsk. Their own workbooks testify to that. But according to people close to them, they did not speak German very well.
The grand duchesses didn't take serious lessons they took minor German lessons. Only Olga and Tatiana took very little German lessons during captivity. You say that they had many schoolbooks in German and yet you don't have any photos of them. How can we know they existed if, we don't have any photos of it?
Quote:

I did not learn any foreign languages until I was 14. But believe me, I could tell the difference between English, German, French and Italian at a very early age. And with all those Europeans living in Ekaterinburg, it is only natural that most people there could distinguish between the different languages without being able to understand or speak them. I think Americans are the only people who are completely in the dark when it comes to foreign languages, never having had a real need to learn them.
Just because you can tell the difference between the four languages doesn't mean you understand them all. There are Americans who speak two langauges fluently. I know a lot of people who speak Spanish and French very well in the USA...
  #169  
Old 01-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
Most Americans never take one, or even if they do, forget it,
But AWF, we are not talking about Americans. We are talking about Europeans who do tend to study more languages - they have to due to the proximity of foreign countries. It is well known that Americans have always been more isolationist (even today for example the vast majority of Americans allegedly don't have a passport as they don't travel outside the Continental USA ) so they are less likely to study languages. In my job I see CVs from European students who speak 3, 4 or even 5 languages fluently. Even 100 years ago, a European was dozens of times more likely than an American to be able to distinguish between different languages even if they didn't have a proper knowledge of them.

  #170  
Old 01-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnastasiaEvidence View Post
The grand duchesses didn't take serious lessons they took minor German lessons. Only Olga and Tatiana took very little German lessons during captivity.

...
AE, as has already been stated, Gilliard's own timetables showed that all the girls studied German several times a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnastasiaEvidence View Post
You say that they had many schoolbooks in German and yet you don't have any photos of them. How can we know they existed if, we don't have any photos of it?

...
I'm not sure what you are saying here - that you don't believe the schoolbooks exist or that they don't show all the girls studied the language fairly seriously? The schoolbooks were presented as evidence during the trials and are in the possession of the authorities in Hamburg. I think Berenberg-Gossler would have protested strongly during the trial if he felt that they did not show what was claimed. Or are you saying that newspaper accounts of the Trials (and indeed the Trial records themselves) are incorrect when they talk about either the content or the very existence of these books?
  #171  
Old 01-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -----------, United States
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrymansdaughter View Post
AE, as has already been stated, Gilliard's own timetables showed that all the girls studied German several times a week.
The girls did NOT study German. Olga Alexandrovna and Sophie Bux stated that the girls did NOT speak German fluently. There's no evidence of the girls having schoolbooks in German. Gilliard himself said he never heard any of the Imperial family uttering a word in German.
Chapter XVI-- Life and Tragedy of Alexandra Feodorovna
All the Grand Duchesses were very Russian in their outlook and ideas. Their only experience of foreign countries had been in short visits to Darmstadt, and once to England, and they preferred life in their own country to anything else. They always spoke Russian among themselves and to the Emperor, English to their mother, and French to M. Gilliard. The elder girls had a smattering of German, but spoke it with difficulty; the younger ones and the Tsarevich did not know it at all.

From Gilliard:
"I have several times heard the Tsarina charged with having preserved sympathies, predilections, and a warm corner for Germany when she was on the throne. The unfortunate woman in no way merited these strictures, which she knew of and made her so unhappy. Alexandra Feodorovna was German neither in spirit nor in sentiment. She never was."
Her Majesty talked English with them, the Tsar Russian only. The Tsarina spoke English or French with the members of her suite. She never spoke in Russian (though she spoke it pretty well ultimately) except to those who knew no other language. During the whole period of my residence with the Imperial family I never heard one of them utter a word of German, except when it was inevitable, as at receptions, etc.

Olga Alexandrovna:
My nieces knew no German at all. Mrs Anderson did not seem to understand a word of Russian or English, the two languages all the four sisters had spoken since babyhood. French came a little later, but German was never spoken in the family.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are saying here - that you don't believe the schoolbooks exist or that they don't show all the girls studied the language fairly seriously? The schoolbooks were presented as evidence during the trials and are in the possession of the authorities in Hamburg. I think Berenberg-Gossler would have protested strongly during the trial if he felt that they did not show what was claimed. Or are you saying that newspaper accounts of the Trials (and indeed the Trial records themselves) are incorrect when they talk about either the content or the very existence of these books?
Ferrymansdaughter, you and ChatNoir say that there was German schoolbooks that the children wrote in. I've asked to see photos of it and ChatNoir said that he can't get any photos of them. Nothing more than hearsay.Olga Alexandrovna, Gilliard and Sophie said that the girls did NOT speak German fluently.I don't believe that any of the girls knew German well enough to speak it fluently. There's no solid evidence. Well, without photographs, and proof from OTMA's tutors I don't believe the girls spoke and wrote in German fluently. It could have been schoolbooks someone else wrote up, and claimed that they were that of the Imperial children. There's so much evidence that proves that OTMA did NOT speak German. How about showing me the exact newspapers and sources? All I'm just reading hearsay...and not enough facts and proof. We are getting into the discussion of Anna Anderson, again. Dr. Gunther Von Berenberg-Gossler, was right for what he did. Anna Anderson is nothing but a fraud because of her manners, non-royal look and he even said she looked like an menial cleaning lady. He knew AA was FS anyway.

Yes, I'm saying that the schoolbooks in German did NOT exist! The only reason people continue to say that OTMA knew German, is so that people can have a reason to say Anna Anderson was Anastasia. It is very obvious that she is not. Without solid evidence, that can NOT be proven.

Quote:
But AWF, we are not talking about Americans. We are talking about Europeans who do tend to study more languages - they have to due to the proximity of foreign countries. It is well known that Americans have always been more isolationist (even today for example the vast majority of Americans allegedly don't have a passport as they don't travel outside the Continental USA ) so they are less likely to study languages. In my job I see CVs from European students who speak 3, 4 or even 5 languages fluently. Even 100 years ago, a European was dozens of times more likely than an American to be able to distinguish between different languages even if they didn't have a proper knowledge of them.

There are plenty American college students who go to foreign countries in Europe to study more languages.I know someone who went to France and speaks Spanish, Gernan and French very fluently. You are right, that Europeans do study more foreign langauges than Americans. I was just saying that there are many Americans who study a lot of foreign languages...
  #172  
Old 01-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 797
Please read "Anastasia, the Riddle of Anna Anderson" by Peter Kurth. There you will learn that Ian Lilburn was allowed by AA's lawyers to purchase a lot containing the imperial childrens' schoolbooks at a London auction. The purchase was mainly made in hopes of finding a fingerprint from Anastasia. The books are now a part of the German State Archives. They clearly showed that the Grand Duchesses took serious German lessons all the way up to the time in Tobolsk. But nowhere is it stated that they spoke German fluently.
  #173  
Old 01-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Anna was Franziska's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrymansdaughter View Post
But AWF, we are not talking about Americans. We are talking about Europeans who do tend to study more languages - they have to due to the proximity of foreign countries. It is well known that Americans have always been more isolationist (even today for example the vast majority of Americans allegedly don't have a passport as they don't travel outside the Continental USA ) so they are less likely to study languages. In my job I see CVs from European students who speak 3, 4 or even 5 languages fluently. Even 100 years ago, a European was dozens of times more likely than an American to be able to distinguish between different languages even if they didn't have a proper knowledge of them.
Duh. As I explained in a post a page or so back, we're not talking about western Europeans who live in close proximity to several languages and are exposed to them frequently. We're talking about Russians, a hundred years ago, living in remote regions, hundreds of miles from even Moscow and St. Petersburg. These people would be far less exposed to languages than the Americans of today, they didn't even have TV, internet, or common international travel. Also add the fact that most of the Bolsheviks were poor and uneducated, some even illiterate.
  #174  
Old 01-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Anna was Franziska's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChatNoir View Post
Please read "Anastasia, the Riddle of Anna Anderson" by Peter Kurth.
Sigh..... Chat, it's very obvious your entire reason for trying to push this German thing is because that's the language used by AA, while AN would have used Russian, English and French. It's the same thing as J Kendrick trying to claim Alexei didn't have hemophilia because Tammet didn't. It's absurd that the only two live, active threads on this forum are still based on claimants, even though all bodies have been found, making it pointless.
  #175  
Old 01-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -----------, United States
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChatNoir
Please read "Anastasia, the Riddle of Anna Anderson" by Peter Kurth. There you will learn that Ian Lilburn was allowed by AA's lawyers to purchase a lot containing the imperial childrens' schoolbooks at a London auction. The purchase was mainly made in hopes of finding a fingerprint from Anastasia. The books are now a part of the German State Archives. They clearly showed that the Grand Duchesses took serious German lessons all the way up to the time in Tobolsk. But nowhere is it stated that they spoke German fluently.
If the girls didn't speak German, how can they write in it fluently? That just doesn't make any sense. You're only trying to make everyone look Kurth's book so you can try to prove that AA was Anastasia. That's the only reason that you and Ferrymansdaughter are trying to prove that OTMA knew German. Since, AA knew German. There are many photos of the girls schoolbooks in English, French and Russian. But, NOT German. The girls did NOT take German lessons at Tsarskoye Selo. OTMA's tutors state that they didn't have any German lessons. Chat, you think Kurth's resources are the best, but they aren't. He didn't know any of the imperial famiyl or met any of OTMA. It's always best to back up resources, from the tutors,family and friends of OTMA. Information from people who actual knew the Imperial family and taught them languages are the best resources to prove points. Since, OTMA's tutors clearly stated that none of OTMA knew German there's no point in proving that wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska
Sigh..... Chat, it's very obvious your entire reason for trying to push this German thing is because that's the language used by AA, while AN would have used Russian, English and French. It's the same thing as J Kendrick trying to claim Alexei didn't have hemophilia because Tammet didn't. It's absurd that the only two live, active threads on this forum are still based on claimants, even though all bodies have been found, making it pointless.
Exactly. There wouldn't be any other reason why they're trying to convince everyone that OTMA knew German. They do not have evidence backed up from Gilliard, Gibbes, Sophie or any of the other tutors and friends who knew the family well. They do not want to accept the fact that there is NO evidence of OTMA knowing German. Gilliard himself said I never heard any of them utter a word in German.
  #176  
Old 01-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 797
If you travel to Switzerland and visit the University of Lausanne, you will see Pierre Gilliard's time tables for the Grand Duchesses on display there, clearly scheduling them for a German lesson every day.
  #177  
Old 01-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Anna was Franziska's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 823
As we have established, lessons do NOT equal knowing or speaking the language. The name of this thread is 'languages spoken by NAOTMAA' and from all evidence, German was not spoken by the family, and Alexandra was the only one who was fluent.

Nicholas: Russian, English, French
Alexandra: English, German, French, little Russian, improving over time
OTMA: Russian, English, French
Alexei: Russian with some English and French

Note that this thread isn't what lessons were taken, or what languages the person may have been exposed to, it's languages SPOKEN.

Thank you Anastasia Evidence for posting the quotes from those who knew the family. It's a shame they had to be posted again, but Chat is repeating the same quotes and questions and they have to be answered multiple times, just like in the AA thread.
  #178  
Old 01-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
As we have established, lessons do NOT equal knowing or speaking the language. The name of this thread is 'languages spoken by NAOTMAA' and from all evidence, German was not spoken by the family, and Alexandra was the only one who was fluent.
So lessons do not equal knowing or speaking the language? Well, personally, I am living proof of the opposite. And according to Avdayev and his assistant, the Tsarina spoke German with her daughters in captivity.
  #179  
Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -----------, United States
Posts: 467
Quote:
Thank you Anastasia Evidence for posting the quotes from those who knew the family. It's a shame they had to be posted again, but Chat is repeating the same quotes and questions and they have to be answered multiple times, just like in the AA thread.
ChatNoir continues to ignore my evidence. I gave him enough information to prove that OTMA didn't know German. It just isn't enough, because he just wants to continue to believe that OTMA knew German. We are going in circles over again, posting the same information and accounts multiple times. There really has to be a reason ChatNoir continue saying they spoke German! I think it's because of Anna Anderson. Please lets end the discussion about German langauge, because there's obvious evidence that proves the girls didn't know German. I don't want to repeat myself, and go back in circles.

Quote:

So lessons do not equal knowing or speaking the language? Well, personally, I am living proof of the opposite. And according to Avdayev and his assistant, the Tsarina spoke German with her daughters in captivity.
ChatNoir, you said that so many times and it really doesn't make a difference since Alexandra and her daughters were NOT allowed to speak any other langauge than Russian during capitivity in Ekateringburg. It is the same thing about when you try to say that Anna Anderson spoke French "someone heard her spoke French" without any resource or concrete evidence to back that up.
  #180  
Old 01-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Furienna's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 1,316
Yes, it seems like we're going around in circles. I don't know who to believe.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
alexandra, imperial family, nicholas ii, romanov languages


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tsar Nicholas II (1868-1918) and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna (Alix) (1872-1918) gaoshan1021 The Imperial Family of Russia 547 11-02-2016 10:44 AM
The Children of Tsar Nicholas II ("OTMAA") Josefine The Imperial Family of Russia 346 08-23-2016 09:26 PM
Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor and Family News 1: July 2005- iowabelle British Royals 242 11-02-2014 01:33 AM
Native Languages vs. Second Languages Noelle9982 Royal House of Denmark 22 02-05-2013 12:59 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll fox news grahamm grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdulah ii king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess eugenie eveningwear princess ingrid alexandra princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania revolution royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises