Languages spoken by Nicholas, Alexandra and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that Anastasia learned German was established during the trial of AA in Germany. Ian Lilburn was allowed by AA's lawyers to purchase a lot of schoolbooks written by the imperial children at an auction in London. Among them were found books that showed Anastasia's German lessons along with her Russian ones. The German lessons actually had fewer mistakes than the Russian ones.
All the girls took German lessons, their teacher was Herr Kleinenberg, who stayed with the family up to the revolution. According to Gibbes, Anastasia spoke German rather poorly.

Chat, you know the only reason you push this German thing is because it was AA's lifelong language of choice, she refused to speak Russian, her English was ghastly and her French nonexistent, while those who knew Anastasia all said she spoke Russian, English and French and barely knew any German, and that the family never used it. Just because a person takes lessons doesn't mean a thing. I know people who took several years of a language in high school and college and can't speak but a few words today. Many facts and eyewitnesses back up the truth, that Anastasia and the other Imperial children knew hardly any German and never used it.

Chat, you know the only reason you push this German thing is because it was AA's lifelong language of choice, she refused to speak Russian, her English was ghastly and her French nonexistent, while those who knew Anastasia all said she spoke Russian, English and French and barely knew any German, and that the family never used it. Just because a person takes lessons doesn't mean a thing. I know people who took several years of a language in high school and college and can't speak but a few words today. Many facts and eyewitnesses back up the truth, that Anastasia and the other Imperial children knew hardly any German and never used it.

I have divulged my sources. Now maybe you will do the same.
Thank you.

Here are some quotes for you for all the good they're going to do:

From the Life and Tragedy of Alexandra
Chapter XVI
They (Grand Duchesses) always spoke Russian among themselves and to the Emperor, English to their mother, and French to M. Gilliard. The elder girls had a smattering of German, but spoke it with difficulty; the younger ones and the Tsarevich did not know it at all.

Olga Alexandrovna, from her Vorres bio:
My nieces knew no German at all. Mrs Anderson did not seem to understand a word of Russian or English, the two languages all the four sisters had spoken since babyhood. French came a little later, but German was never spoken in the family."

From P. Gilliard`s memoires: Her Majesty talked English with them /the children/, the Tsar Russian only. The Tsarina spoke English or French with the members of her suite. She never spoke in Russian (though she spoke it pretty well ultimately) except to those who knew no other language. During the whole period of my residence with the Imperial family I never heard one of them utter a word of German, except when it was inevitable, as at receptions, etc.

Dmitri Leuchtenberg, from the Vorres book:
Grand Duchess Anastasia, on the contrary, spoke always Russian to her father, English to her mother, understood and spoke French and did not speak any German.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some quotes for you for all the good they're going to do:

Chapter XVI
They (Grand Duchesses) always spoke Russian among themselves and to the Emperor, English to their mother, and French to M. Gilliard. The elder girls had a smattering of German, but spoke it with difficulty; the younger ones and the Tsarevich did not know it at all.

And as I have already posted: Anastasia's schoolbooks clearly showed that she took serious German lessons.

Olga Alexandrovna, from her Vorres bio:
My nieces knew no German at all. Mrs Anderson did not seem to understand a word of Russian or English, the two languages all the four sisters had spoken since babyhood. French came a little later, but German was never spoken in the family."

I have no doubt that German was not used in the family on a regular basis. But it seems, from the guard's statement, that Alexandra used German in captivity to communicate with her daughters in order not to be understood by the guards.

From P. Gilliard`s memoires: Her Majesty talked English with them /the children/, the Tsar Russian only. The Tsarina spoke English or French with the members of her suite. She never spoke in Russian (though she spoke it pretty well ultimately) except to those who knew no other language. During the whole period of my residence with the Imperial family I never heard one of them utter a word of German, except when it was inevitable, as at receptions, etc.

I don't think there is any disagreement about this.

Dmitri Leuchtenberg, from the Vorres book:
Grand Duchess Anastasia, on the contrary, spoke always Russian to her father, English to her mother, understood and spoke French and did not speak any German.

Dmitri Leuchtenberg did not ever meet Anastasia, so his statement should not even be included here.

But it seems, from the guard's statement, that Alexandra used German in captivity to communicate with her daughters in order not to be understood by the guards.
Chat that was almost certainly English and he didn't know the difference. It makes much more sense, since it's well documented mother and children spoke to each other in English. In "File on the Tsar" there is much reference to the guards being upset about the family speaking English, and forbidding them to use it. But as I said, only AA supporters try to push the issue that Anastasia was suddenly a serious German student when there is not one bit of evidence this is true, and a lot against it. Taking a lesson does not = proficiency, this is reality, since most every person I know took some language in school but never learned it. Don't forget too that during WWI all things German so fell out of favor that the name of the city was changed to Petrograd because St. Petersburg was too German sounding. So go on imagining Anastasia was a great German scholar but she wasn't. Sorry but Anastasia did not use German, and never would have chosen it exclusively over English, Russian, and French, especially not when speaking to other native Russian speakers such as Olga A. and Felix Y.

Chat that was almost certainly English and he didn't know the difference. It makes much more sense, since it's well documented mother and children spoke to each other in English. In "File on the Tsar" there is much reference to the guards being upset about the family speaking English, and forbidding them to use it.

Really? How did they know the difference from German?

Taking a lesson does not = proficiency, this is reality, since most every person I know took some language in school but never learned it.

And I learned English in school. Maybe you go with the wrong people.

So go on imagining Anastasia was a great German scholar but she wasn't. Sorry but Anastasia did not use German, and never would have chosen it exclusively over English, Russian, and French, especially not when speaking to other native Russian speakers such as Olga A. and Felix Y.

I don't think anybody has ever said that Anastasia was a great German scholar. According to Gibbes, she spoke it poorly. And her schoolbooks contained several corrections, altough not as many as in her Russian writings.

They didn't know what language it was, but assumed it was German because of all the rumors about Alexandra being a German spy. They didn't know Alexandra, but had heard all the propaganda against her, so naturally when she spoke a language they didn't know, it must be German. It may even have been French, they wouldn't know.

All I have done, is to quote Russian soldiers stating that Alexandra spoke German to her daughters, and that the family was overheard speaking English together. Why is this so upsetting to you? We all know that the children were taught 4 languages, and Alexandra has even written in her diary that she "helped Tatiana with a German lesson."

I have no intention of dragging AA over here. This is about Anastasia.
And as I have already posted: Anastasia's schoolbooks clearly showed that she took serious German lessons.

You told me this so many times, and yet you never post any of Anastasia's actual schoolbooks in German! Where is your source for that information. I've seen many letters Anastasia wrote in French, Russian and English. But, NOT German.

All I have done, is to quote Russian soldiers stating that Alexandra spoke German to her daughters, and that the family was overheard speaking English together. Why is this so upsetting to you? We all know that the children were taught 4 languages, and Alexandra has even written in her diary that she "helped Tatiana with a German lesson."
The four daughters were NOT taught four languages mainly three, English, Russian and French. German was sheldomly used. You refuse to believe that since you want to try to make it seem that AA was Anastasia. There is no doubt Anna Anderson spoke German, but Anastasia NEVER did. I got that information from Empress Alexandra's biography that I posted. That biography was written by someone who actually known her.

In many biographies it states that Alexandra DID NOT speak German because she didn't like the country and wasn't fond of the language.

Chapter XVI
FYI: Olga and Tatiana had SMATTERING German which means they knew very little German. Those sources came from Sophie Buxhoeveden a friend of the Imperial family. That is her book.

I don't think anybody has ever said that Anastasia was a great German scholar. According to Gibbes, she spoke it poorly. And her schoolbooks contained several corrections, altough not as many as in her Russian writings.
Yes, Anastasia knew NO German. But, you continue to try to make it seem as if she spoke it fluently. You fail to show any of her schoolbooks in German.

Dmitri Leuchtenberg did not ever meet Anastasia, so his statement should not even be included here.
We posted other sources from Sophie and Olga Alexandrovna that said Anastasia did NOT know much German. You got your souces from FOTR and the authors of that book King and Wilson never known Anastasia. I got my sources from those who actually known Anastasia.

You told me this so many times and yet you never post any of Anastasia's actual schoolbooks in German?

I cannot post any of her schoolbooks for the simple reason that they are now a part of the material used for AA's lawsuit in Germany. They were never returned to Ian Lilburn after the trial was over.

The four daughters were NOT taught four languages mainly three, English, Russian and French. German was sheldomly used. You refuse to believe that since you want to try to make it seem that AA was Anastasia. There is no doubt Anna Anderson spoke German, but Anastasia NEVER did. I got that information from Empress Alexandra's biography that I posted.

She was taught German by Herr Kleinenberg, and later, in Tobolsk, she was with her other sisters scheduled for a German lesson every day according to Gilliard's timetables, now on display at the University of Lausanne.

Many people can say they learn Spanish and French in school but, they don't say speak it fluently...s

And according to witnesses, Anastasia did not speak fluent German.

In many biographies it states that Alexandra DID NOT want to speak German because she didn't like the country and wasn't fond of the language.

All I know, is that the Russian guards heard her speaking German to her daughters in captivity.

I agree with Anastasia Evidence. We don't know what's in those books, they may not be what you say at all.

All I know, is that the Russian guards heard her speaking German to her daughters in captivity.
You do not know that, because you cannot prove they didn't know the differences between languages. They didn't.

No, ANASTASIA ROMANOVA did not speak German well at all. She knew Russian, English and French very well, but very little German and never spoke it. You do mean the real Anastasia don't you?

I agree with Anastasia Evidence. We don't know what's in those books, they may not be what you say at all.

All you have to do, is read Peter Kurth, he explains it all to you.

You do not know that, because you cannot prove they didn't know the differences between languages. They didn't.

And that is a line that would get a big laugh anywhere in Europe.

No, ANASTASIA ROMANOVA did not speak German well at all. She knew Russian, English and French very well, but very little German and never spoke it. You do mean the real Anastasia don't you?

Have I indicated anything else?

And that is a line that would get a big laugh anywhere in Europe.

I don't think so. Especially not in those days. Parts of Russia were and still are very remote, little if any outside contact with foreigners, there was no media, no internet. Sure, rich traveling people in the smaller, closer countries of western Europe may have been exposed to several languages, but not the poor in the Ural region of Russia in the early 20th century.

I don't think so. Especially not in those days. Parts of Russia were and still are very remote, little if any outside contact with foreigners, there was no media, no internet. Sure, rich traveling people in the smaller, closer countries of western Europe may have been exposed to several languages, but not the poor in the Ural region of Russia in the early 20th century.

I don't have the book with me now, but in FOTR it is stated that when a letter went out from the Ipatiev House, and it was written in English, French or German, it was taken to an official in Ekaterinburg who spoke all three languages, for censure. Seems that they were not all that uneducated in the Urals....

Originally Posted by ChatNoir
I don't have the book with me now, but in FOTR it is stated that when a letter went out from the Ipatiev House, and it was written in English, French or German, it was taken to an official in Ekaterinburg who spoke all three languages, for censure. Seems that they were not all that uneducated in the Urals....
Why would you agree with these sources? especially since the writers could be wrong since King and Wilson haven't exactly met any of the Imperial family. It's best to have resources backed up from those who knew the imperial family.

All you have to do, is read Peter Kurth, he explains it all to you.
Kurth doesn't know everything, the best resources is the books that Olga Alexandrovna, Sophie Bux, Gilliard and Gibbes wrote. It's best to get sources from the people who were there during the captivity, and knewthe imperial family. And...you're criticizing me that I don't have information from the people who actually knew the imperial family.

I cannot post any of her schoolbooks for the simple reason that they are now a part of the material used for AA's lawsuit in Germany. They were never returned to Ian Lilburn after the trial was over.
How do you know it ever existed, if there wasn't any actual photos of it? This is nothing but speculation.

No, Anastasia didn't . She did NOT speak any German.

Where are your sources? They were forbidden to speak German in the Ipatiev house, they only spoke Russian. This is nothing but hearsay.

Why would you agree with these sources? especially since the writers could be wrong since King and Wilson haven't exactly met any of the Imperial family. It's best to have resources backed up from those who knew the imperial family.

If you have read FOTR, you will also have seen the sources where King and Wilson got their information.

But, Peter Kurth's book is nothing but speculation and theories.

For your information, Kurth's book is the most extensive biography written about Anna Anderson. It contains no speculations and theories, but facts about her life, all backed up with more documentation than you have ever seen in any book. You will do well to read it.

How do you know it ever existed, if there wasn't any actual photos of it? This is nothing but speculation.

So you accuse the German Court of lying?

Where are your sources?

As I have already posted, they come from FOTR, who in turn got them from the journal kept by the guards at the Ipatiev House.

when a letter went out from the Ipatiev House, and it was written in English, French or German, it was taken to an official in Ekaterinburg who spoke all three languages, for censure. Seems that they were not all that uneducated in the Urals....

Note they had to take it to an official because none of the other men could read it.

Chat you know very well you often say "Anastasia" when you are referring to AA. You also only use sources that back up AA and her cause and avoid others, such as Massie, which do not (as well as Gill, Melton, Coble, etc..) No matter how much to try to prove AN knew German she didn't and was not Anastasia, the DNA tests proven all the bodies found so it's pointless. It's like JK trying to say Alexei didn't have hemophilia, and he did, but whether he did or not, Tammet was not Alexei. Even if Anastasia knew ten languages, she still died in 1918 and wasn't AA.

Notice they had to take it to an official, the ordinary men or even Yurovsky didn't know how to read it.

Just a little aside here: Yurovsky's own memoirs make only the briefest mention of a few years spent living in Berlin, noting that he became proficient in German.
Also, several of the guardsmen in the Ipatiev House were from Austria (Rudolf Lacher and Andras Verhas), or Lithuania, Latvia or Estonia.

I have removed the personal and OT remarks in the previous post. As a reminder: we have been forced to close several thread due to some members inability to stick to the TRF rules. Mainly the 'stay respectful to each other' and 'keep the threads on topic' are forgotten quickly. I urge you to keep these things in mind.

Last edited:
Why is it that some of you make it appear that people living in eastern section of Russian Urals didn't know other languages accept for Russian and that they were all illiterate? Russia was a huge melting pot of different groups of people. Especially in and near Ekaterinburg which was a mining town which had a huge influx of foreigners due to the rich resources being mined, also, there was a school of mines. Prosperous mines allowed the Ipatiev family and other families to build and/or buy grand mansions. And properous families brought in tutors who taught their children various languages like French, and, yes, even German. At that time a great deal of scholarly information in books were written in Latin and German. French was learned since it was then the international language for communication.

Yes, Yurovsky knew German and as a side note changed his religion to Lutheran while living in Germany.

Most believe Yurovsky's background was Jewish. If his family did hold Jewish roots, they probably came from German Jews who migrated into Poland and then migr. farther east to Moscow then to Odessa and then to the Urals. If so, they may have spoken German and Yiddish in their homes and Russian while in the public eye. According to Yurovsky, he was not raised Jewish in his father's house, therefore, Yurovsky's family may have just spoken Russian in their home. His knowledge of German would have been later if that was the case.

Source: >>“.... Once I had to take lunch to my father and passed a group of Jews on their way to their synagogue. And then I asked my mother, “How is it that Jews have all the money, and can close their shops to go to Synagogue on Friday, when others have to work? Why are they allowed to decide when it is forbidden to work, when the rest of us have to do so?” << King and Wilson have Yurovsky Memiors: kingandwilson >>...I was fifteen or sixteen when another important event took place. Whenever we sat down to lunch in our family, questions about the emperor would be raised. Father was very severe, and would not allow any contrary points of view from his children. He glorified Nicholas I. I didn’t think was deserved. And I began to argue that nothing good had happened because of Nicholas I. When something good had happened it was only because of Alexander II: he had freed the Serfs and was not so coarse as one heard that Nicholas I had been. When I was sixteen, we had a typical fight. My father refused to listen; he threw a fork at me and I ran out, staying away from home for two days. <<

Since Yurovsky was interested in the medicial field and knew about the Tsarvich's conditions, most medical books were in Latin and German at that time. And there is evidence that Yurovsky did have some background since he served as a medic in the Tsar's army at one time.

Yurvsky's little side business of photography and making false passports probably gave him the opportunity to hear many kinds of languages. Therefore, Yurovsky certainly knew what language the Romanovs and their servants were speaking at any given time.

Yurovsky continued:>>Because of my political views, we were forced to leave Russia and I spent many years in Berlin, where I worked as a watchmaker. We all spoke German and converted to the German [Lutheran] Church. My employer had a friend who made society photographs and he trained me in this, which I liked, particularly composing the photographs and capturing the faces. << Wilson and King's web site.

Because my ancestors were Germans who migr. into Russia, I am well aware of the various German colonies established in the Russian communities, so, I am not making any assumptions.

A great deal of information we Americans read is from the English speaking part of the world, England, and the rest of the world was not English, although, the British certainly had it's presents in the world. At that time they were interested in the resources in eastern Russia, especially their oil. Unless you had family in Russia and/or have a real interest in European history before the 1900s, your awareness is limited to the history written by the British. The Germans under Kaiser Wilhlem II, the Krupp Co. and others were fighting for world domination before WWI [The Great War]. The Germans were infiltrating right along with the British and right up at the top with higher education in all fields. The Germans were sending teachers into Russia where they taught at the highest levels and all the way down to the German colonies in every corner of Russia. German-Russian children were being sent to Germany to study in the universities and returned home with new ideas about everything from medicine to animal husbandry.

The White Army had a huge number of German-Russian officers. The Austrians didn't speak Austrian they spoke German.

The higher educated Lituanians were from the old Boyer families who's background were Prussians/Germans.

Alex III tried to halt the Germans successes in Russia. But that was like trying to stop the water from rushing into the valley after the dam was broken. After Alex. III's death, the German-Russians (Catholics, Lutherans and Jewish) became part of the rising new middle class citizens. It took WWI to turn the Russian masses against all German and German-Russians. Later Bolsheivks labeled most of the upper and middle class German-Russians Kulacks, "the enemies of the state" and carted them off in trains to Siberia and concentration camps.

AGRBear

Last edited:

My post above is directed to this post.

Oh, and by the way, an example for AWF, my one grandmother, who was the daughter of a blacksmith, knew seven languages fluently. She was born in a German-Russian colony which was a farming community and some distance from any large towns by the Black Sea.

I know its difficult for Americans to understand, but Europeans and Russians were confronted with a variety of languages. Unlike here, we can live our entire lives without learning another language.

Let me see if I can find any web sites that might show some of it's history and people.

AGRBear

PS
History of Ekaterinburg

MCR2009.RU :: Ekaterinburg

Ekaterinburg Russia. Ekaterinburg History. Part 2 | Ekaterinburg Russia : Travel to Ekaterinburg of the Urals : Russia

Last edited:
bear honestly lets stick to the topic of the forementioned theard and i was born and lived most of my life in europe and i can honestly thats really untrue in hungary i lived with people whom were born in the periods of the final life of the austrain hungarin empire and i can honestly what u mention for the rural areas is completely untrue only in the major cities and those jobs which needed to know another launge was one ever learned and used outside the german and jewish cominuties

bear honestly lets stick to the topic of the forementioned theard and i was born and lived most of my life in europe and i can honestly thats really untrue in hungary i lived with people whom were born in the periods of the final life of the austrain hungarin empire and i can honestly what u mention for the rural areas is completely untrue only in the major cities and those jobs which needed to know another launge was one ever learned and used outside the german and jewish cominuties

I've not known the people you've known, therefore, I would never say what you post is untrue, I'm sure what you post about you and them is true, however, I can say what I posted is true because of the the people I've known. The grandmother I've mention was born in the early 1880s in a rural area of Russia. Her father was born in rural Russia. And her grandfather was born in rural Russia. She lived to be almost 100 years old and was mentally sharp till her last breath.

Ekaterinburg was a crossroads between European Russia and Asian Russia. This is where Yurovsky grew-up. This is where many different people grew-up. The majority spoke Russian but not everyone spoke Russian in the privacy of their home because not everyone held Slavic roots. Not everyone attended the Orthodox Church. Some were illiterate. Some were educated. Some were laborers and some were owners of companies.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clearify my post.

AGRBear

true i give you that but this is going off topic since 1st and foremost the topic is the family not everyone else 2nd all of this information can be found in the personal dairies of both nicolhas and alix what they spoke and said and each indicant as for the people well most i ll let history say that not myself

true i give you that but this is going off topic since 1st and foremost the topic is the family not everyone else 2nd all of this information can be found in the personal dairies of both nicolhas and alix what they spoke and said and each indicant as for the people well most i ll let history say that not myself

It is a fact that Queen Victoria and her husband spoke German to each other in the privacy of their palace apartments. We know their children spoke German, this includes Tsarina Alexandra's mother, to their father who preferred German. We know that Alexandra spoke German while living in Hesse as a child. And, yes, once she lived in England, she preferred to use English. Unlike my grandmother who had an ear for foreign languages, I do not. So, I can understand Alexandra's difficulty with languages and that she'd settle in one language which was English. Although she could communicate in other languages like French and Russian, she'd never be comfortable in those languages.

I have not made any claims that Alexandra or Nicholas II did not write in English in their diaries or letters to family. Why would I? Just as I would not deny the fact that Alexandra and Nicholas II knew German and could speak it fluently. Both pulled away from it's use after Russia went to war with Germany. The same was true with the British royal family. They, too, were at war with Germany.

AGRBear

Bear, you have given us the Queen Victoria and her husband thing pages ago. It happened years before Alix was even born and has no significance here.

I have not made any claims that Alexandra or Nicholas II did not write in English in their diaries
Alix's were in English, but Nicky's diaries are in Russian.

once she lived in England, she preferred to use English
It wasn't only then. Actually she was raised from babyhood by a British nanny, Miss Orchard.

I also remember one person on another forum posting that they had seen some of young Alix's schoolbooks, and that her teacher had written English words over some of the German ones she did not understand to help her study better. This would prove she knew more English than German and it came easier to her.

Both pulled away from it's use after Russia went to war with Germany.
Sure everything German fell out of favor when the war started, but it wasn't like they were using it up until then and changed. They used English all along, even before they were married, and the whole time the kids were growing up. In every memoir by everyone who kne the family, it's clearly stated that the children spoke English to their mother, and Russian to their father. No mention of German, other than to say they never used it, after the AA incident came up.

You may say that she and Nicky only used English because it was their best common language, but that is not the reason. It speaks VOLUMES that Alexandra and her siblings chose to speak and write to each other in English. If they, as German born children, had felt more comfortable or preferred to use German, they would have done so in their private correspondence. So bear, just saying that because Queen V had a German background they *could* have used it really means nothing when the evidence tells us otherwise. (I am not saying Alix and her siblings weren't fluent in German, of course they were, but it wasn't the language they chose to use in their personal conversations and diaries, meaning it was not their most 'natural' language of choice) Also, as has been stated by Olga A., Gilliard and others, German was never used in the Russian Imperial family.

Bear, you are well known for your extensive quoting of "The File on the Tsar" by Summers and Mangold. How about digging out your copy and seeing what they say about the family's use of foreign languages during captivity? It will tell you how they had been using English but were then forbidden to do so.

Facts show us they did not utilize German. Nicky even corresponded with Kaiser Wilhem in English. They were very fluent and wrote better than most Americans. Willy used abbreviated terms of endearment, just like his cousin Alix, which shows us that it's likely most of the extended family of Queen Victoria mainly used English and wrote in this way. What do we make of the fact that the Russian Tsar and the German Emperor chose to write to each other in English?

1894 - 1914 Transcriptions of original English correspondence.

Pre - 1914 Documents - World War I Document Archive

As for the Tsar understanding German, here is a snippet from von Nidda's book:

The Emperor, on being told of this letter, (from Count Eulenburg) commanded Count Fredericks to read it to him, and the latter proceeded to do so in the original German. His Majesty at once stopped him, saying, "Read it in Russian, I do not understand German."

Then there is your proof a person can study a language for years very seriously and not know it well enough to understand it. (though I'm sure the children studied it far less than he did) That would be another reason that the Tsar and Kaiser used English, the Kaiser likely didn't know Russian. I am impressed by the flawlessness of the English used by the Kaiser and Tsar in their letters. Of course Willy, having an English mother, grew up biligual in English and German and Nicky had to learn it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom