Grand Duke Serge (1857-1905) & Elisaveta Feodorovna, Grand Duchess Serge (1864-1918)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=5350

Romanovs' descendants to seek rehabilitation for Great Duchess Elisabeth

Moscow, November 10, Interfax - The House of Romanovs intends to achieve recognition as victims of political repressions for all members of the imperial family executed by the Bolsheviks after revolution including the founder of Sts Martha and Mary Convent of Mercy Great Duchess Elisabeth (Yelizaveta Fyodorovna Romanova).

in full see:
Interfax-Religion

Ella and Alix really look alike......
its a shame that such a good soul as Ella was married to that scoundrel Serge.....

Yes, that's true I totally agree. They both have the Hessian appearance. Irene also has it too, and so does Victoria. It came from their mother Alice. She was a remarkable beauty, just like her mother and sisters. Grand Duchess Tatiana favors her mother Alix so much.

Ella and Alix really look alike......
its a shame that such a good soul as Ella was married to that scoundrel Serge.....
He really wasn't a scoundrel, per say, and the marriage was accepted by both of them, eyes wide open. See that book I told you about, Christopher Warwicks's for more information. :flowers:

I read somewhere that after Ella and the others were thrown down inside the mine shaft, they remained alive for several days, according to the recollection of the peasants who would hear them singing religious songs and asking for help. And her remains were found trying to reach the outside,climbing within the shaft.

I read somewhere that after Ella and the others were thrown down inside the mine shaft, they remained alive for several days, according to the recollection of the peasants who would hear them singing religious songs and asking for help. And her remains were found trying to reach the outside,climbing within the shaft.
Massie's book, "Nicholas and Alexandra" says that. I have yet to finish Warwicks to see if it collaborates.

Her remains are now in the Russian Orthodox Church of Maria Magdalene in Jerusalem along with those of Princess Alice (Princess Andrew of Greece), Prince Philip's mother.

Thank you, Warren. I thought I had remembered that. Just couldnt remember the church......

Grand Duchess Ella

Early to mid-1880's

Attachments

• ab4.jpg
    ab4.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 840
  • fg6.jpg
    fg6.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 458
Where did you find those? I haven't seen those photos in good quality! Thanks for posting these, they're wonderful.

To reply to some earlier posts- yes, Queen Victoria was defintely not a great fan of the Romanovs. This seems to have started after the Crimean War since as a young woman Queen Victoria met the young Alexander II in England and noted in her diary she liked him and he was handsome. Queen Victoria never lived to see Victoria Melita's marriage to Kyril, so all she knew was that two grand daughters married Russians, not three, though as Victoria Melita was half Russian on her mother's side, it wouldn't have surprised Queen Victoria.

Ella was indeed lovely and when young interested in parties dresses and the like, while Alexandra never really was. Ella's life after her husband's death was much different than her earlier life- if not for that, she would be remembered in a different light, one feels, more as just another royal. I feel Sergei and Ella loved one another, but that it was a different kind of love, not like the love Nicholas and Alexandra shared. Sergei was a real mystery, now and then.

I think part of the dislike Victoria had for Russia stemmed from Marie's marriage to the Duke of Edinburgh. Missie (Queen Marie of Roumania) said her mother was an Imperial Highness in Russia, but lower down on the scale in England and that bit her to the quick. I'm sure there was tension because of that. And Queen Marie writes in her bio. that her parents weren't all that happy.
Ella indeed loved parties and had a flirtation with "Greek Nicky".
Sergei was indeed a mystery, some people hated him, some loved him. I'll have to check the bio.I have on Ella to see if she burned his diary after his death.

Also, Victoria looked down on the Russian court's loose morals. Alexander III and Nicholas II were the only tsars to have never cheated on their wives. Perhaps if Victoria's Hanoverian traits were still dominant, she wouldn't have minded so much. But Albert had a profound impact and Alexandra inherited these Victorian morals, making her an unpopular tsarina.

I think Victoria was very moralistic from the begining of her life, even before Albert, remember the incident with the lady in waiting ( Flora something) she thought might be pregnant( by Sir John Conroy, her mother's hated advisor) at the begining of her reign before Albert came into the picture? Her reaction there was not Hanoverian. I think the Crimean War really did in Victoria's opinions on Russia though.

She was opposed to Marie and Alfred's marriage before it took place because Marie was Russian and a Romanov, although seeing the unhappiness of it no doubt increased her reluctance about Russian marriages.Ella's marriage to Sergei turned out happily enough, it seems, and indeed, Ella's marriage to Sergei benefited Russia ( unlike Alexandra's marriage, which did not benefit Russia). I do believe Ella burned her diaries- none survive at least. But, Sergei's diaries do survive ( some of them at least) and have been published only in Russian. I read this on another royalty forum. But his diaries are pretty boring and don't have any personal feeling in them, it' s like Nicholas II's diaries, just the day's activities and stuff I gather from descriptions of them people gave.

Ella's marriage to Sergei turned out happily enough, it seems,
Though I wonder about that, what with the letters she used to write to "Greek Nicky". (Per Christopher Warwick's book.)

Though I wonder about that, what with the letters she used to write to "Greek Nicky". (Per Christopher Warwick's book.)

You''re right with having second thoughts...

Ella and Serge basically had a mutual understanding to live like "" brother and sister"" ...not quite a full blown marriage.
Their common denominator was their love for the children (not theirs ofcourse,they never had children of their own-),
Sandro and Irina,they raised.

Serge was ``a bit`` of a perverted act,and generally disliked,if not hated,for his cruelness as a governor.
Hence why he was blown into smitherines by a bomb.

It was Marie P they raised, not Irina. Actually, Marie P, Ella's step daughter accused Ella of being not very nice towards her sometimes- that's in her memoirs. She never accused Sergei of that. I don't know if Marie P's perceptions of perhaps a lack of maternal feeling on Ella's part were true. As for Sergei and Ella's marriage, it's a bit of mystery. I have the Warwick book though not in front of me at the moment.

It was Marie P they raised, not Irina. Actually, Marie P, Ella's step daughter accused Ella of being not very nice towards her sometimes- that's in her memoirs. She never accused Sergei of that. I don't know if Marie P's perceptions of perhaps a lack of maternal feeling on Ella's part were true. As for Sergei and Ella's marriage, it's a bit of mystery. I have the Warwick book though not in front of me at the moment.
The Warwick book also explains that though Marie complained about beinf forced into marriage with the Prince of Sweeden (the 2nd son) the letters they sent to each other professed their love of each other.
Lucien, it was never proved that their marriage was never consumated, so we will never know--unfortunatley. Curiosity will kill me one day, I'd really like to know, just to know. I think Serge was a man who loved beautiful things and loved to collect them. Ella was the prize in his collection.

Sergei seems cruel and well "sick"
And some, like Dmitry Pavolovich and his sister called him exceedingly kind.
He was a bit of a mystery. Somebody ought to write a bio. on him!

I think there is supposed to be a Sergei bio, but it has met with many delays in being published, I read this on another site, they said on the bookselling website for the book it would be published in Dec 2008, then Jan 2009, etc you get the drift. I'm not sure if it has been published yet, the last I heard ( just checked) it hasn't, as of now, it first appeared as a book not yet published on a website in Oct 2008). It's in English ( I thought it was in Russian at first, then I read more carefully what language it was in) anyway, and it's in the online catalog of the the Van Hoogstraten (?) or something like that booksellers in Europe- I have a link.I agree with the interpretation that Sergei liked to collect things and Ella was one of them- you can see the possessive body language of Sergei towards Ella in a few photos.

One good news after another; first they rehabilitated Grand Duke Mikhail and now the Grand Duchess Yelizaveta Fyodorovna.
I am really glad my country is taking steps to recognizing that those poor people were victims of a brutal regime.

Grand Duchess Elizabeth’s relics to visit all Russian parishes in Britain

Grand Duchess Elizabeth’s relics to visit all Russian parishes in Britain

London, June 29, Interfax - Particle of the relics of the righteous martyr Grand Duchess Elizabeth and Barbara arrived from Jerusalem to the London Cathedral of the Dormition on Saturday, 27 June.

Full article here:
Interfax-Religion

Back
Top Bottom