Grand Duke Georgi, son and heir of Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna (2008-Oct. 2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeannie

City
melbourne
Country
Australia
If anyone is interested, there is an 'official' website for a pretender to the Russian Throne, Maria Vladimirovna & her son Georgi Romanov. The english version isn't up and running yet:
Ãëàâíàÿ ñòðàíèöà

There is a recent photo of the handsome (IMHO) young Georgi & his mother Maria & grandmother (I think) at Ãëàâíàÿ ñòðàíèöà

There is more info on the website here, with an old photo of Georgi & his mother http://www.royalarchive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=757&Itemid=2

At the moment they are trying to get the last Tsar & his family 'rehabilitated' as victims of political repression in Russia: MosNews.com

There was an interesting article in the Oct 2005 english edition of the St Petersburg Times on the restoration of the Russian Monarchy - see The St. Petersburg Times - Opinion - A Monarchist Solution for Russia

I put new links to news articles on the Romanovs on my website at http://www.biblenews.org/Romanovs.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
The Grand Duke Georgi wouldnt rule, but reign as a consitutional monarch. I like the Grand Duke, and I think he would make a great Tsar

Benjamin said:
H.I.H. Grand Duke Georgiy Mikhailovich on a visit to Moscow
Poor lad looks a tad overwhelmed.

The HIH Grand Duke Georgi in Russia with Patriach Alexi 11

Congratulations on your birthday, Your Emperor Majesty!

Today, 23 aprelya/' of May celebrate svore Tezoimenitstvo YE.I.V. Sovereign is heir cesarevitch and Grand Duke Georgiy mikhailovich.
All companions-in-arms of motion "for the faith and the fatherland" and Moscow Georgievskiy the division of Russian imperial Union- order warmly congratulate its emperor majesty with this glad and significant day and desire to the heir of the throne of the state of Russian zdraviya, longevity and aid Of bozhiyey in the bearing of today's critical burden and the future difficult service on the throne of Russian autocrats.

1. the Grand Duke with the holiest patriarch. http://www.monarhist.ru/news2007/2007_05_06_1.jpg
2. After the conversation with metropolitan Cyril. http://www.monarhist.ru/news2007/2007_05_06_2.jpg
3. The Grand Duke on the platform of the State Duma. http://www.monarhist.ru/news2007/2007_05_06_5.jpg

United press- service of motion "for the faith and the fatherland" and Moscow Georgievskiy division THE EDIT-PUBL COUNCIL Russian Imperial Union Order

What happens in the next generation will be extremely interesting.

It appears that the requirements for a bride for the young Georgy will be rather hard to meet:

1. Orthodox;
2. Royal within the pedigree that MV and her son believe themselves to be;
3. Monied, to support them now that MV's half-sister no longer does.

It isn't a situation like the Greek royals, who were willing to overlook Marie-Chantal's lack of blue blood in light of her heavy purse.

This particular family has made their entire life's mission to sanctify and drive home their own pedigree as compared to others.

It's not likely that MV could simply declare some rich young thing to have a sufficient bloodline to maintain the royal and imperial status of the Succession Laws. Not while they've spent their combined lifetimes protesting their own mandates as "heirs."

The most monied Royals who might consider the young Georgy as eligible would have to convert, as it appears that the only royals who are Orthodox are the Greek family, whose money is dependent on the largesse of the Miller family. Would the Millers be willing to underwrite a whole 'nother royal family if one of Paul's sisters wanted to marry Georgy? Interesting question.

I think an earlier poster said it best: This is Russia. Anything is possible. Tossing out the lot of them was what was done in 1918. Any invitations back in are purely at the discretion of the old-line Soviet Putin, who has steadily moved back to Soviet-style leadership as he consolidates power. And Putin could very well reach back into other bloodlines *if* monarchy were desired. On my last trip to Moscow, when I brought up the topic, the laughter was so hearty several of my collegues nearly choked from amusement.

However, to be invited back, to be set up as the puppet monarch under the auspices of the inheritors of the Soviet, seems to be quite agreeable to MV and her son.

She has much in common with her ancestor, Kyril, in that regard, n'est pas?

I would be very curious as to the younger set of Russian nobility, as to what their aspirations are in these matters - if any.

The Young HIH GD Georgi

Your Post is some what negative, Russia struggles, you say you have been there, some laugh, some cry and some just dont know the true history.

Remember that people like the odious Bereria got awarded for authoring false books about Stalin.

To be a Soveriegn is not easy ,constant every one watching you, if your young its a lot of pressure as well, a good grounding in the Orthodox faith is important, you have obviosly not read any of the in depth interviews the young Grand Duke has done, go to the web site of the HIH GD Maria secretary, you will see he proves himself Intellectually deep and meaningfull, a true Oxford graduate as he is.

Its very easy for the negative to flow out of our mouths, thats for sure, easy to laugh at others as you have mentioned, you talk of Orthodoxy as some trite thing, l suggest you google Seraphim Rose , an American man, whom became not of this world , firstly one of Americas best minds on Eastern Philosophy, then became an Orthodox monk.

Think more widely and deeply, the Young Grand Duke has a lot of depth that you dont give credit for , start reading his interviews get an idea obout him first.

Here with the Patriach of all Russia and members of the Russian Imperial Order

PICTURE

Georgy, MV's Son

PHP:
you have obviosly not read any of the in depth interviews the young Grand Duke has done

That's a tad presumptuous on your part. I have read all I need to read of the young man's "interviews."

PHP:
you talk of Orthodoxy as some trite thing,

In no way did I imply that, at all. I merely set forth the requirements for Georgy's bride in order for this branch of the family to continue to claim its precedence over all others. Orthodoxy was clearly important enough for Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna of Russia to eventually convert to, naturally. And she of course is the ancestress of the current pretenders.

PHP:
Remember that people like the odious Bereria got awarded for authoring false books about Stalin.

I'm certain you don't mean that any implication that I could be likened to Bereria. I choose to overlook any parallel which your hasty remarks might engender.

PHP:
To be a Soveriegn is not easy

Elizabeth II is a true sovereign, and she has never implied that it was easy. Neither MV nor Georgy are sovereigns; they certainly have no cause for complaint along those lines.

I am and remain curious as to how MV and Georgy will skin the cat of the next generation. Georgy must marry royal and Orthodox in order for the survival of their claims to continue, as they have insisted that their precedence devolves from those two pillars to the exclusion of all other Romanovs. And, since they seem to be without financial support, any wife would need to bring to the marriage a well-filled purse.

It's not as though Georgy can bring home Natalie Imbruglia (wealthy) and have her added to the roster of royalty, suitable to be wed. Or American actress Melina Eleni Kanakaredes (wealthy and Orthodox.) No, it has to be all three - wealthy, Orthodox, and royal. A hard bill of fare in these days.

NotAPretender said:
It's not as though Georgy can bring home Natalie Imbruglia ....
I should hope not as she's married to Daniel Johns.

Yes, of course!

I should hope not as she's married to Daniel Johns.

Ah, naturally (as is the American actress also mentioned.) The point being, he can't simply bring home "the bacon" and have it declared filet.

He's in a bit of a box, there, n'est pas?

Young royalty in this case has even more restrictions than in other "family firms." And the fact that he is an only child makes it even more onerous.

It appears that the requirements for a bride for the young Georgy will be rather hard to meet:

1. Orthodox;
2. Royal within the pedigree that MV and her son believe themselves to be;
3. Monied, to support them now that MV's half-sister no longer does.
Granted, #2 is obviously going to be the most difficult of the requirements for any possible spouse of Georgiy's to fit. This one prerequisite narrows the number of eligible young ladies who could be his wife to probably less than 100 people.

Assuming the Grand Duke manages to marry a royal (like his mother was lucky enough to do), surely it will be a foregone conclusion that she'll convert if not already Orthodox (like his father did).

I'm not sure that money will be a very big factor in a possible marriage. Remember that Georgiy's aunt is his godmother, and his father is one of the owners of Prinz von Preussen Grundbesitz AG. Also Georgiy has been employed (in not too shaby places such as the EU) since he got out of Oxford.

A Greek marriage would be interesting...Constantine of Greece is Georgiy's godfather. Georgiy's mother met her husband through her uncle Louis Ferdinand, who was Franz Wilhelm's godfather.

I strongly believe that the Romanovs (Grand Duke, his mother, and the immediate family circle) are highly unlikely to follow the current European trend of thinning their blue blood. Thus, a prospective bride should be noble and well-to-do because one can not be too rich. As for faith, a bride can convert to Orthodox as many other Russian Royal ladies did before her.

Oh, my God, he was so young ...:eek:
Sit illi terra levis (let the ground be weightless for him)...

George would probably do better to marry someone he loves, get himself a good job and stop mooching off family members. Pigs will be ice skating in hell before he's on a throne. What girl of the right religion, bloodline, and monetary value is going to agree to marry George and be the family's cash cow and brood mare for the next 20 years? Theodora of Greece would constitute an "equal" marriage for George, but she's undoubtedly got herself another boyfriend.

George would probably do better to marry someone he loves, get himself a good job and stop mooching off family members. Pigs will be ice skating in hell before he's on a throne. What girl of the right religion, bloodline, and monetary value is going to agree to marry George and be the family's cash cow and brood mare for the next 20 years? Theodora of Greece would constitute an "equal" marriage for George, but she's undoubtedly got herself another boyfriend.

Oh, tell it like it really is, Bluestocking. Between Russia and Greece you have fantasy royalty. No thrones, no countries, just dreams. You are so on the mark. Start living in the real world, guys and go on with your lives.

In my personal subjective opinion, Grand Duke should look for 1) money and 2) bloodline. As noted by one of the Forum members, the Romanovs are not that rich. At the same time, I am not sure how difficult it will be for him and his immediate family to find a lady with money and proper bloodline. Restoration of the Romanovs may be viewed as possible, but hardly probable.
As for religion, a prospective bride can convert as many Russian Royal ladies did before her.

Last edited:
It won't be that difficult for George to make an equal marriage to a German or Austrian royal who is willing to convert to Orthodoxy. He is a Hohenzollern on his father's side and knows many members of the German-Austrian nobility.

He may choose to wait until after his mother's death to marry. Once he is Head of the Imperial House he can modify the house laws on marriage if he wishes to do so.

He may choose to wait until after his mother's death to marry. Once he is Head of the Imperial House he can modify the house laws on marriage if he wishes to do so.

That type of attitude is exactly what kept the family from accepting Kyrill and Vladimir as the heads of the family. Kyrill confered titles to anyone who would sympathize with him and Vladimir tried to change House Law to say that his daughter would be the rightful heir. This rediculous self importance (which Kyrill always had and passed on to his son) is part of the reason there is so much argument over who is rightful Tsar and who is the rightful head of the family. Even if we were to assume that George will one day be the head of the family (which I don't think of him as. Head of the Family ceased to exist in the Vladimirovichi Branch the second Vladimir Kyrillovitch died, and passed on to another branch) he would not have the authority to modify House Law. House Law can only be changed by the Tsar and there is no Tsar. Should the Russian People recall the Romanovs one day (which I sincerly hope they do) they will choose their Tsar and he will set forth the House Laws. I know that was a long post to get to that little point but I feel very strongly about Maria and George and what they think they have the right to do.

From rbcnews.com:

RBC, 12.12.2008, Moscow 17:54:34.Grand Duke Georgy Romanov has been appointed advisor to Norilsk Nickel General Director Vladimir Strzhalkovsky. As reported by the Russian nickel producer's press office, Romanov will represent Norilsk Nickel's interests in the European Union.

Read more here.

Courtesy: monarchen.nl

Here is the short interview (a telephone call to Brussels, to be more precise) given by Grand Duke Georgy concerning his new job.
KP.RU // Íàñëåäíèê ðîññèéñêîãî ïðåñòîëà óñòðîèëñÿ â «Íîðíèêåëü»
According to the interview, it has been Grand Duke's wish to represent interest of Russian Federation as well as his work in the European allows his to help Nornikel.
Needless to mention, there is an abundance of snide comments from Russians related to reasons/causes of this appointment. Perhaps, tough economic situation has prompted Grand Duke Georgy to search for additional means of income. At the same time, it would be fair to assume that his work is not going to be difficult one.

Yes, Maria V.'s half-sister is no longer footing the bill for Maria V. and Georgy Hohenzollern's ambitions; young Georgy needs to work these days. I agree, Al bina, it's unlikely that this work will be particularly taxing.

Yes, Maria V.'s half-sister is no longer footing the bill for Maria V. and Georgy Hohenzollern's ambitions; young Georgy needs to work these days. I agree, Al bina, it's unlikely that this work will be particularly taxing.
Her sister was footing the bill for her (Maria's) and Georgey's aspirations?
Wow. I'd be a bit peeved myself.

Yes; Maria V's mother was married first to Sumner Moore Kirby, and the couple had a daughter, Helen. Helen inherited her father's wealth when he was declared dead, presumably at the hands of the Nazis. His wealth derived from the Woolworth retail chain, of which he was partner, and Leonida was his third wife, married from 1933-1937. He was murdered in 1945.

This article has a bit about him:

U.S. Suit Says French Trains Took Victims To the Nazis - New York Times

He also had a daughter, Gloria, by his first wife.

Helen, Leonida & Sumner's daughter, lived with Leonida in Madrid when Leonida met and married Vladimir in 1948 (in a Greek Orthodox, not Russian Orthodox, ceremony.) Maria was born in 1953, when her mother was 39 years of age. Helen was handed the title of Countess Dvinskaya and in return, her deceased father's fortune supported Leonida Bagration, Valdimir, Maria, and later Maria's husband and son. (Woolworth has been very, very good to Ms. Kirby.) Helen never married.

Thanks for the information! I am not too surprised to learn that Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirova and her family lived off somebody, a half-sister in this case. As for the title "Countess Dvinskaya", is it recongised by other nobles?

Yes; Maria V's mother was married first to Sumner Moore Kirby... His wealth derived from the Woolworth retail chain, of which he was partner...
I didn't know he was a partner, I thought it was all Barbara Hutton's grandfathers. Hmmm. Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info.! :flowers:

Thanks for the information! I am not too surprised to learn that Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirova and her family lived off somebody, a half-sister in this case. As for the title "Countess Dvinskaya", is it recongised by other nobles?

I doubt it matters much. The title of Countess was granted to ladies-in-waiting during Imperial Russia, so it's not like Vladimir elevated her to imperial rank. It is simply a courtesy style.

Helen Kirby's fortune supported Vladimir and Leonida for many years, but is now said to be quite diminished. I'm not surprised Gregori has to work for a living as they sold their homes in Spain and France a number of years ago. Leonida still lives in her apartment in Paris, while Maria lives in an apartment in Madrid.

No wonder Maria V. is insisting that the Russian government support her financially before she will "consent" to grace it with her permanent residency.

Grand Duke Georgi, son and heir of Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna

I became interested in this question after it was touched in another thread (and we were in real danger of going off topic yet again).

Let’s assume that Maria Vladimirovna’s claims are 100% foolproof and she’s the universally acknowledged Head of the Romanov House. In order to continue her legacy, her son will have to marry a member of a Reigning or Royal Family.

George is already 28 years old, the time of his marriage is rapidly approaching. And given the passion with which Maria Vladimirovna fights for her role as Head of the House, you can bet she’ll insist on an ‘equal’ marriage.
So I was wondering, just how many Princesses of eligible age are out there? I think we can safely exclude most, if not all, Reigning Houses, which leaves the Royal ones. Can we write a list of eligible ladies, marriage to whom would not be considered morganatic under all the Romanov marriage laws?

Last edited:
I fear we have to exclude the Catholic Princesses, because Catholic Church is usually unwilling in permitting a Princess to change her religion...
Well, I can list:
Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie of York;
Lady Gabriella Windsor;
Princess Theodora of Greece;
Duchess Anastasia and Duchess Alice of Oldenburg;
Princess Johanna of Waldeck.

Definitely Princess Theodora of Greece: she's royal to the boot, Orthodox, and the about the right age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom