Grand Duke Georgi, son and heir of Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna (2008-Oct. 2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie of York.

well i am little unsure with the adove suggestion.....wouldnt they be excluded as thier mother, sarah duchess of york was a commoner !!
just a thought buddy .....;)

Well, also George's paternal grandmother was not of royal blood, but his father Franz Wilhelm was good to become the husband of Maria Wladimirovna...

sorry marsel......do you mean "non reigning houses" here ? :flowers:

I meant that there are so few eligible members of Reigning Royal Houses that we can focus mainly on non-reigning but Royal Houses (Greek, Yugoslavian, French, etc). :)
I’ll post the list of all (possibly) eligible members of the reigning Royal Houses in the next post.

Of the reigning Houses, I think we can safely exclude the following (who wouldn’t be even considered either because of religious or other aspects): Qatar, Oman, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Bhutan, Brunei, Jordan, Kuwait, Morocco, Japan, Lesotho, Malaysia, Swaziland, Thailand, Tonga.

Prospective brides from the remaining Reigning Houses are the following (including Catholic women, because all of them, without exception, would have to convert to Orthodox religion in any case):

Belgium (including extended Royal Family)
Princess Maria Laura of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este (born 1988)

British (including extended Royal Family)
Princess Beatrice (born 1988)
Princess Eugenie (born 1990)

Zara Phillips (born 1981) *
Lady Gabriella Windsor (born 1981) *
Lady Marina-Charlotte Windsor (born 1992)*
Zenouska Mowatt (born 1990) *
Sophie Lascelles (born 1973)*
Ellen Lascelles (born 1984) *
Amy Lascelles (born 1986)*

Danish (including extended Royal Family)
Princess Nathalie of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (born 1975) *

The Netherlands (including extended Royal Family)
Juliana Edenia Antonia Guillermo (born 1981) *
Princess Carolina, Marchioness of Sala (born 1974) *

Liechtenstein (including extended Royal Family) **
Princess Maria-Annunciata of Liechtenstein (born 1985)
Princess Marie-Astrid of Liechtenstein (born 1987)
Maria Teresa Sartorius y de Liechtenstein (born 1992) *

Luxembourg (including extended Royal Family) **
Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg (born 1991)
Princess Marie Gabriele of Nassau (born 1986)
Archduchess Gabriella Maria of Austria (born 1994)

Monaco (including extended Royal Family) **
Charlotte Casiraghi (born 1986) *
Pauline Ducruet (born 1994) *
Mélanie-Antoinette de Lusignan (born 1985) *

Norway (including extended Royal Family)
Madeleine Ferner Johansen (born 1993) *
Victoria Ragna Lorentzen Ribeiro (born 1988) *

Spain (including extended Royal Family)
No eligible candidate

Sweden (including extended Royal Family)
No eligible candidate

* Denotes those, who I am almost certain would not qualify under the Romanov marriage laws
** As members of Princely/Ducal Houses, they might not qualify as well, although as members of Reigning Houses, they might.

The only two Princesses who are definitely eligible are Princess Beatrice (born 1988) and Princess Eugenie (born 1990).

Princess Maria-Annunciata of Liechtenstein (born 1985), Princess Marie-Astrid of Liechtenstein (born 1987), Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg (born 1991), Princess Marie Gabriele of Nassau (born 1986) are all eligible if they qualify as members of Reigning Houses (although I think the Romanov marriage requirements specify members of a reigning or non-reigning []iRoyal[/i] Houses, which could disqualify them as members of Princely/Ducal Houses). Princess Nathalie of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (born 1975) might be eligible as well.

Last edited:
Well, also George's paternal grandmother was not of royal blood, but his father Franz Wilhelm was good to become the husband of Maria Wladimirovna...

well not quite, to my understanding george's paternal grandmother was none other than princess henriette of schoenaich carolatch and the step daughter of ex kaiser wilhelm II of germany to boot and not exactly a commoner and i believe that george's maternal grandmother was a princess also .......:flowers:

Princess Maria-Annunciata of Liechtenstein (born 1985), Princess Marie-Astrid of Liechtenstein (born 1987), Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg (born 1991), Princess Marie Gabriele of Nassau (born 1986) are all eligible if they qualify as members of Reigning Houses (although I think the Romanov marriage requirements specify members of a reigning or non-reigning []iRoyal[/i] Houses, which could disqualify them as members of Princely/Ducal Houses). Princess Nathalie of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (born 1975) might be eligible as well.

I thought members of Grand Ducal houses were eligible? After all, two Tsarinas came from the Grand Ducal House of Hesse: Marie and Alix.

From non-reigning Houses, the following women are eligible (note this may not be the complete list – I did the best I could):

Bulgaria (included extended Family)
No eligible member

Greece (including extended Royal Family but excluding Royals from other Royal Families)
Princess Theodora (born 1983)

Brazilian Imperial Family (included extended Family)
Princess Amélia of Orléans-Bragança (born 1984)
Princess Maria Gabriela of Orléans-Bragança (born 1989)

House of Savoy (included extended Family)
Viola Moreschina Arrivabene-Valenti-Gonzaga (born 1991) *
Vera Clementina Arrivabene-Valenti-Gonzaga (born 1993) *

Romania (included extended Family)
Elizabeth de Roumanie Medforth-Mills (born 1989) *
Angelica de Roumanie Kreuger (born 1986) *

Yugoslavia/Serbia (included extended Family)
Victoria Marie Esme de Silva (born 1991) *
Princess Marie of Yugoslavia (born 1993)

House of Braganza (included extended Family)
No eligible member

House of Bourbon included extended Family)
No eligible member

House of Orleans (included extended Family)
No eligible member

House of Bonaparte (included extended Family)
Sophie Catherine Bonaparte (born 1992)

House Schaumburg-Lippe
No eligible member

House of Mecklenburg (all branches)
Duchess Helene Olga of Mecklenburg (born 1988)
Thyra von Solodkoff (born 1989) *

House of Hesse (included extended Family)
Tatiana Marie Galdo (born 1992) *
Polissena Galdo (born 1993) *

Baden
No eligible member

House of Wittelsbach (Bavaria)
Princess Bernadette of Bavaria (born 1986)
Princess Maria del Pilar of Bavaria (born 1978)
Princess Maria Felipa of Bavaria (born 1981)

Grand Ducal Family of Oldenburg (excluding all members of other Royal Houses which are mentioned separately, if eligible)
Duchess Rixa Marie-Alix of Oldenburg (born 1970)

House of Thurn and Taxis
Princess Maria Theresia of Thurn and Taxis (born 1980)
Princess Elisabeth Margarethe of Thurn and Taxis (born 1982)

House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (included extended Family)
Princess Elena Sofia of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (born 1973)

House of Leiningen
Princess Olga Margarita of Leiningen (born 1984)
Princess Cécilia of Leiningen (born 1988)
Princess Theresa Anna of Leiningen (born 1992)

House of Hohenzollern
Princess Viktoria Luise of Prussia (born 1982)
Princess Nataly of Prussia (born 1970)
Lady Mary Luise Wellesley (born 1986) and Lady Charlotte Anne Wellesley (born 1990) as children of Princess Antonia of Prussia (Marchioness of Douro) *
Princess Irina Maria Nina Kira of Prussia (born 1988)
Princess Philippa of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (born 1988)
Princess Flaminia Pia of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (born 1992)

House of Habsburg-Lorraine
(note: the list is almost definitely not complete, I'll add others later)
Archduchess Eleonore Jelena of Austria (born 1994)

Georgia (Nugzar Bagration-Gruzinsky line)
No eligible member
Georgia (Bagration-Mukhranski line)
Princess Inès Bagration-Mukhranski (born 1980)

* Denotes those, who I am almost certain would not qualify under the Romanov marriage laws

Last edited:
Love these suggestions. :flowers:
Both Grand Duke George's paternal and maternal ancestory are royal related.
But Beatrice and Eugenie are 1/2 royal blooded. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
... House of Thurn and Taxis
Princess Maria Theresia of Thurn and Taxis (born 1980)
Princess Elisabeth Margarethe of Thurn and Taxis (born 1982) ... [snipped]
The above ladies can be excluded from the list because they are very unlikely to renounce their faith (Roman Catholic). Additionally I do not think that eligible ladies from the British royal family will ever marry Grand Duke George. What will the advantages this union be for any of them?

George is already 28 years old, the time of his marriage is rapidly approaching.

I suppose that he can do as the duke of Bragança and wait until his 50th birthday :D.

The only two Princesses who are definitely eligible are Princess Beatrice (born 1988) and Princess Eugenie (born 1990)

that is interesting, but as i have mentioned adove.... i am not too sure if the two princesses are eligible, due to the fact that sarah duchess of york was a commoner before marriage......
ok here in britain, there is no such thing as unequal / morganatic marriages in our law. but to all sense of purposes many of the marriages within the house of windsor are unequal and therefore morganatic in the broadest sense of the word.
grand duchess maria may seem fit to view the marriage of the yorks as unequal and refuse to consider such a marriage between her son and the york princesses........:)

:previous:
Why would Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna consider the marriage to Princess Beatrice or Princess Eugine unequal? Unlike the Russian Imperial house, the British royal family is the reigning house. It will not surprise me, if the British royal house will refuse Grand Duchess and her son.

Princess Caroline Napoleon is already married...

Kira Marina Liepsner is alreay married

Baden

Princess Sophie ( * 1975)
Princess Aglae (* 1981)

Anhalt

Princess Julia katharina (* 1980)
Princess Eilika (* 1985)
Princess Felizitas (* 1993)

Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg

Princess Sophie (* 1980)

Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach

Princess Leonie (* 1986)

Oldenburg

there are also the daughters of Duke Friedrich August but their status is uncertain as the marriage of their parents was not approved
Duchess Anastasi (* 1982)
Duchess Alice (* 1986)
Duchess Cara (* 1993)

Corrected, thanks MAfan and Stefan! :flowers:

EmpressRouge said:
I thought members of Grand Ducal houses were eligible? After all, two Tsarinas came from the Grand Ducal House of Hesse: Marie and Alix.

I believe they are, however I'll keep them 'marked' till checking the actual laws.

lumutqueen said:
Both Grand Duke George's paternal and maternal ancestory are royal related.
But Beatrice and Eugenie are 1/2 royal blooded.

Every Royal Family has its own set of rules and since there is no such thing as morganatic marriage in the British Royal Family, Beatrice and Eugenie are full and undisputed dynastic members of the British Royal Family and House. And, as Al_bina mentioned, they are members of a reigning Royal House.

Al_bina said:
The above ladies can be excluded from the list because they are very unlikely to renounce their faith (Roman Catholic). Additionally I do not think that eligible ladies from the British royal family will ever marry Grand Duke George. What will the advantages this union be for any of them?

Quite a few of the women on the list (actually, more than the half) are Catholics: I'm not saying they are considered by Maria Vladimirovna and/or her son, however they could potentially marry Prince George (provided they convert, of course).

Marengo said:
I suppose that he can do as the duke of Bragança and wait until his 50th birthday .

If Maria Vladimirovna insists on an 'equal' marriage, poor George might have to wait till he is 50 indeed: it’s going to be difficult to find a suitable candidate, and one who's willing to marry into Romanov circus too. ;)

Last edited:
The days of arranged marriages are long over. Unless he's met some nice German cousins through his father, it's highly unlikely he will find a royal bride.

He's not rich and his mother is highly controversial to say the least. Marrying a Romanov is not exactly a step up these days.

Of course the York sisters are eligible because their parents wedding is dinastic.
Of course the member of Grand-ducal and Ducal and Princely families are eligible.
Of course the Philips, Lascelles, Guillermo, Arrivabene-Valenti-Gonzaga, Galdo, Ducruet, de Silva.. are NOT eligible.
Don't know if Elizabeth de Roumanie-Medforth-Mills is now part of the Romanian RF..she would be an intresting match.
However I think it is unlikely that the sophisticated European princesses will be intrested in being the Grand-duchess' daughters-in-law.

branchg is, ablsoltely, right. Marrying him is not a step up. He is a son of a woman who, possibly, could claim the non-existent throne of Russia. So, his is no one better than anyone. Most of the other titles are just that, too. Let him find a nice girl with whom he can have a good life.

In the past the members of the Imperial Family also married Ladies from not Royal Houses like Saxe-Altenburg etc. Even the last Empress was from a Grand Ducal House as was the Consort of Alexander II. Interesting would be if a bride from a mediatized House could qualify as equal. Even the Habsburgs accepted brides from mediatzied Houses which they did not during the time of the monarchy, or only in quite rare cases like the marriage of Archukde Friedrich, Duke of Teschen to Princess isabella of Croy.

FWIW, I noticed you had Tewa Lascelles as a possible bride for George. Tewa is a man. He has a sister, Tanit though.

... [snipped] Quite a few of the women on the list (actually, more than the half) are Catholics: I'm not saying they are considered by Maria Vladimirovna and/or her son, however they could potentially marry Prince George (provided they convert, of course). ... [snipped]
I can not tell about other Princess mentioned in the list. However, it may safely be assumed that both Princesses von Thurn und Taxis will not convert. Recently Princess Elisabeth published a book describing her experience as a Roman Catholic.

Though Maria Vladimirovna would probably die of happiness if her son managed to marry an actual blue-blood, she and George Mikhailovich have several times said that there is the possibility that the marriage laws might be relaxed if the Head of the Imperial House (in conjunction with the Patriarch) agreed to the changes. Of course, if that should happen, then few would take their claims very seriously.

The days of arranged marriages are long over.

Perhaps not entirely. Maria V.'s was arranged to some extent.

And then there is the modern-day Bagration couple. We all know how happy they are. ;)

What about Nicoletta Consolo, aka Nicoletta Romanov? The granddaughter of Prince Nicholas Romanovic? In this way the feud inside the Family can be solved...

Well, any of Prince Nicholas’s granddaughters - Nicoletta, Niccolo, Sofia and Allegra are eligible in terms of age (although Allie is born out of wedlock), but not status: Maria Vladimirovna regards Prince Nicholas as ‘morganatic issue’, so his granddaughters are hardly going to be her first choices. Nico is also a divorcee with 2 sons, Francesco and Gabriele: she also has a boyfriend (Giorgio, I think – an actor like Nico), whom she’s been dating for 3 or 4 years now.
Besides, those girls are too charming and nice to be paws in dynastical marriages.

I understand this is an excercise in royal matchmaking with no strings attached.
I also suspect that Maria Vladimirovna may have compiled lists of eligible brides. However, if reigning houses accepted commoners to become CPs and have a chance to ascend to an actual throne what would stop the young heir from marrying for love with a say, shopkeepers daughter, or a model or whatever?

Odette, Maria Vladimirovna's claim to the Headship of the Imperial House is based solely on the fact that she is the only dynast whose parents entered an equal marriage (not in contradiction with the Romanov marriage laws) and that she herself made an equal marriage. If her son were to enter into a morganatic marriage... Well, that would effectively be the end of the future of her claims.
The thing with reigning houses is that they can change the succession/marriage laws, the Romanov marriage laws cannot be changed, not even if Maria Vladimirovna were the universally accepted Head of the House: that would require legislations, which is quite impossible given that the Russian Empire doesn't exist and Russian Federation doesn't acknowledge Romanovs in any way.

Russophile said:
But I want it! *Russo whines in her best Veruca Salt imitation*
How many languages does Georgie know and who on that impressive list of yours can keep up?

He’s quite a smart boy. I know George speaks fluent English, Spanish and French. He also speaks quite good Russian, although with rather pronounced accent.

Last edited:
:previous: Still apart from his mother's fondest wish for him to make an equal marriage, what would stop him for marrying someone for love?
I suppose you are well equipped to tell us, how do the monarchists in Russia view him? Would they accept him as a Tsar if tomorrow the family could return to reign?

Well, if Prince George doesn't care for his mother (and potentially, his) claims to the Headship of the House of Romanov, he can marry whoever he wants: he will just lose any succession rights the moment he enters into morganatic marriage. And since I do like George quite a lot, I hope he will marry for love, not for title.

As for your other question, although I can't speak for all Russians, I am rather confident that Prince George has no chances of ever becoming Russian Tsar, even if the Monarchy is restored tomorrow.
Even if everyone accepts Maria Vladimirovna as the true and only Head of the Romanov House, Russians are not going to accept Maria Vladimirovna (half-Georgian) and especially Prince George (1/4 Georgian and 1/2 German) as their Monarch. I don't want to sound narrow-minded or offend anyone's feeling: it's just the truth.
Prince George belongs to the House of Hohenzollern, whatever his mother/grandfather might have decreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom