Grand Duke Georgi, son and heir of Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna (2008-Oct. 2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grand Duke George attended the wedding of Prince Francois d'Orleans and Therese von Einsiedel held earlier today.

Grand Duke George Grand Bailly of the Order of Malta

Grand Duke George is now Grand Bailly of the Order of Malta. I found the information on the imperial House website. it is the maximum recognition, so it is quite something[congratulations!
:):flowers:

Attachments

• malta.jpg
    malta.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 1,583
I post here two pictures I found of Grand Duke George of Russia and girlfriend Rebecca Bettarini from the bal des princes in Paris. they look happy and enjoyable. does anybody knows if Grand Duke George attended prince Francois d'Orleans' wedding as well? and if Rebecca Bettarini was with him?
:franceflag:

Attachments

• 1519508-georges-mikhailovitch-de-russie-950x0-1.jpg
    1519508-georges-mikhailovitch-de-russie-950x0-1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 884
  • 1519507-georges-mikhailovitch-de-russie-950x0-1.jpg
    1519507-georges-mikhailovitch-de-russie-950x0-1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 5,628
Rebecca Bettarini did accompany Grand Duke George to the Orleans wedding on Saturday.

The couple looks all right. If Grand Duke Georgi is serious about this relationship, hopefully he will marry Ms Bettarini soon.

It's good that he's in this relationship; she must be good for him and I believe that it's only a matter of time until he decides he's ready to marry. The interesting part will be how his mother announces it, how the wedding is conducted, and how she's titled, if any.

Regarding Grand Duke George's legal name...

George was born "Jorge prinz von Preussen Romanoff"; however, the year after the birth his mother filed a petition in France to have his last name changed to"Romanoff-grand-duc de Russie prinz von Preussen."

Source: Bulletin 11 -- 30 Sep 1982 of Cercle d'Etudes des Dynasties Royales Europeennes (published by J.F. Tourtchine)

However, since he and his mother have become Russian citizens since that time, it is likely that Romanov is his sole surname now.

The couple looks all right. If Grand Duke Georgi is serious about this relationship, hopefully he will marry Ms Bettarini soon.

She looks very nice and he seems nice, so I am sure they can be happy and have a good life. Hopefully, forget all the other stuff that may get in their way.

Thanks Benjamin for the link to the marriage decree issued by Grand Duke Vladimir Kyrillovich. I read several of the other documents on that page, but somehow missed the very one I was after.

So according to this agreement, Grand Duke Georgi Mikhailovich does bear the title Prince of Prussia, though he does not appear to use it. But what of his legal surname? Does it really matter? I don’t think it does all that much. Opponents of the Imperial House of Russia use German names and titles to highlight their rejection of the Grand Duke’s Russian heritage. Arguments bounce back and forth over the recognition of this or that name or title by republican or foreign governments. But that is evidence of identity, not a judgement in a dynastic dispute.

I think the final word should be with the man himself; after all it is his name and public identity. Georgi Mikhailovich has unequivocally opted for all things Russian according to the traditions of the Imperial House of Russia. If some people cannot agree with that, well, that’s their decision. I don’t think Grand Duke Georgi Mikhailovich will loose much sleep over it one way or the other. Good luck to him I say.

On Wednesday 13 August 2014 the Dutch daily current news magazine Nieuwsuur (News Hour) made a report about the shock which was caused by the sudden annexation of Crimea.

Nieuwsuur also spoke with Grand Duke Georgy, who is currently working as a lobbyist at the European Union, working for Russian companies. Asked about Mr Putin, the Grand Duke thinks "He seems a good man to me. Very serious." He has met Mr Putin during the 2nd centenary of the Battle at the Borodino. Not surprising is that any zest for a renewed and great Russia is met with approval by a Russian pretender.

The video is in Dutch but you can hear the Grand Duke speaking in English. He comes over as a serious, calm and well-educated gentleman. Not an empty eggheaded jetsetting sort of royal.

Link (Grand Duke Georgy comes in picture at 2.20): "Inname van de Krim was een schok" - Nieuwsuur.nl

Last edited:
Thank you for the link, Duc_et_Pair.
It's the first time I've seen the Grand Duke interviewed. He makes quite a good impression I think. I love his cufflinks!

I agree. Until now the Grand Duke was a sort of amorph dude in the shadow of Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna. Now he has an own face and his own voice and my impression of him is immediately so much better. I agree about the nice cufflinks with (Romanov? Prussian?) Arms. The Grand Duke also had a signet ring.

The Dutch subitles used the translation groothertog, most likely it was a direct translation of the English word Grand Duke. The correct Dutch word however should be grootvorst, like the German word Großfürst, both a correct translation of the Latin word Magnus Princeps. I don't know who was the first to translate it in English into Grand Duke because Magnus Princeps really means: Grand Prince. Also in French the word grand-prince was used.

Last edited:
The cufflinks are the arms of the House of Romanov.
Romanov.jpg

I think it would be an interesting research project to trace back the use of Grand Duke as the translation of Великий Князь. I suppose it has something to do with English not distinguishing between Prinz and Fürst, or maybe someone just made a mistake a few centuries ago and it stuck.

The cufflinks are the arms of the House of Romanov.
View attachment 292223

I think it would be an interesting research project to trace back the use of Grand Duke as the translation of Великий Князь. I suppose it has something to do with English not distinguishing between Prinz and Fürst, or maybe someone just made a mistake a few centuries ago and it stuck.

Wow... these are beautiful. I think all royal gentlemen should follow his example and wear cufflinks with their arms!

On Wednesday 13 August 2014 the Dutch daily current news magazine Nieuwsuur (News Hour) made a report about the shock which was caused by the sudden annexation of Crimea.

Nieuwsuur also spoke with Grand Duke Georgy, who is currently working as a lobbyist at the European Union, working for Russian companies. Asked about Mr Putin, the Grand Duke thinks "He seems a good man to me. Very serious." He has met Mr Putin during the 2nd centenary of the Battle at the Borodino. Not surprising is that any zest for a renewed and great Russia is met with approval by a Russian pretender. ... [snipped]
my bolding
As far as I have understood, Grand Duke Georgi lobbies the Russian interests in the EU parliament and, thus, earns his living. So it would be inappropriate for him to be as critical of Russia and its actions as Europeans are.

Last edited:
Grand Duke Georgy and Grand Duchess Maria at the wedding of HRH Prince Said Mohammed Ali Farouk, son of King Fouad II of Egypt, to HRH Princess Noal bint Daoud ibn Zaher Shah, granddaughter of King Zaher Shah of Afghanistan. Also with Prince Paul of Romania.
GD Maria does not look pleased....

03.jpg

Royal wedding in Istanbul

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
The Grand Duke knows the etiquette: when there are no heads of state or members of reigning Royal Houses in attendance, a grand cordon is worn under the gilet. Very well done.

:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, so that's why he looks so pleased with himself!

If I was the Grand Duchess I wouldn't look very pleased either, with Mr Paul Hohenzollern standing so close by.

The gentleman also was wearing a weird combination, not at all a proper white tie. He looks like a parvenu.

Yes, he really is beyond a joke. I feel sorry for the young boy he and his wife acquired from who-know-where. I don't know if they claim his birth was natural, but given Mrs Hohenzollern was pushing 60 when young Carol Ferdinand was born, I somehow doubt it.

It is somewhat surreal that the Romanovs attend a wedding of the Afghan royalty.

It is somewhat surreal that the Romanovs attend a wedding of the Afghan royalty.

I agree. I would keep myself far away from that wasps nest. The Russians, pardon: the Soviets, never should have invaded Afghanistan back then in 1980 anyway.

:previous:
Given the current defenders of freedom and democracy in Afghanistan and their total defeat, it would be better not to mention to the Soviets.

On a different note ... the Romanovs fought hard for the supremacy in the Central Asia in the late 1800s.

Last edited:
It is a long time since the 1800's and 100 years since Romanov's mattered. They went to the wedding, because anything royal makes them look royal.

I say, Countess, don’t you get bored writing negative comments about Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and her son? I’ve just done a quick search and you have posted over 360 times in the Russian Imperial Family thread. I cannot claim to have read each message, but every one I have looked at oozes disapproval. I don’t think I could stay motivated to write variations on the same theme, year after year, on a topic that so clearly makes me grumpy. If, as you say, it is nearly 100 years since a Romanov mattered, how do you maintain the rage? Don’t get me wrong; I’m not saying you should pull your head in. I’m just puzzled by such a commitment to cranky comments.

Reactions: Ish
From the whole bunch of Romanovs left I can not filter out any better figurehead than Maria Vladimirovna Romanova. Personal liking or not, at least she shows the commitment, zest and willpower to stand for her convince and her case. That is more than what I can say from the other Romanovs, being splendid in absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom