The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Imperial Family of Russia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I've read the same points somewhere too, I think in Greg King's biography on Alix; if I don't mistake, it even suggested that Kirill and Victoria Melita's marriage was not only dynastically valid, but also maybe it wasn't even legally valid in Russia, because Russian Orthodox Church doesn't allow marriages between first cousins, and the only legal marriages in Russia at the time were the Orthodox marriages, or something similar.
But at the same time, some year after the wedding the Tsar recognised Victoria Melita as Grand Duchess, and this seems suggesting that the marriage was actually legally (and dynastically) valid. Any clarification on the matter?

Old 06-26-2010, 05:58 AM
Commoner

Ultimately the Emperor decided whether or not a marriage was valid as far as I'm aware.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:21 AM

Does anyone have any more recent updates on the court ruling concerning whether to close or re-open the case?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Aristocracy

Interfax-Religion isnt much of a news but intersting read
Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Courtier

Grand Duchess Maria and Grand Duke George visit Tsarskoe Selo

Old 09-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Was this the first time she has been at Tsarskoe Selo?
Old 09-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Serene Highness

I wish I understood Russian so I could answer your question, Dear Russo. From her facial expressions, it certain appears, at least to me, that this was her first visit. It must have been a surreal experience to walk where your ancestors once lived and ruled a country.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Serene Highness

I can't even imagine it. Must be quite an experience to be on the same ground that your ancestors were.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Based on the report, it is impossible to determine whether or not this visit is the first. Museum personnel showed Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirvna the halls and rooms, where Nicholas II and his family spent their last hours before being sent to Tobolsk.

On a different note, it would be deemed good for Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna to shed some weight.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Was this the first time she has been at Tsarskoe Selo?
Indeed, as far as I can gather. She was invited to the 300th anniversary, but was unable to attend the celebrations, which lasted from June 23-27, as she was outside of Russia from June 6-30.

An article about the visit:
Royal Russia News: Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna Visits Tsarskoe Selo
Old 09-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
On a different note, it would be deemed good for Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna to shed some weight.
Perhaps, but the chances are slim since the body type of the Grand Duchess does not seem to have changed much since about the time her son was born. It also must be considered that the women in Maria Vladimirovna's family tend to be matronly in their later years (judging from her paternal aunts, her half-sister, her mother, her maternal grandmother, etc).

In my opinion, it would be better if Grand Duke George would take such an initiative, seeing as how the continuity of the dynasty rests on his shoulders at this point.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Serene Highness

AS the Duchess of Windsor said, "Can't be too rich or too thin." Or something to that effect. Good luck, I wish I could drop about 15 pounds.

Hey, my 500TH POST!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
I wish I understood Russian so I could answer your question, Dear Russo. From her facial expressions, it certain appears, at least to me, that this was her first visit. It must have been a surreal experience to walk where your ancestors once lived and ruled a country.
You wonder if she were told stories by her father and grandfather about the palaces and if they were running around in her head as she walked the rooms. Wow. . .
Old 09-09-2010, 03:40 AM
Commoner

New Imperial Order -
Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Serene Highness

Maria Vladimirovna has the authority to establish a royal order? Where does she get the authority or is it automatically the right of the of the head of the Russian Imperial House to establish royal orders?
Old 09-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Commoner

As Head of the Russian Imperial House, she has all the rights and duties of the Emperors of Russia. Including the creation of new awards.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:19 AM
Commoner

La grande-duchesse Maria Vladimirovna de Russie et son fils le grand-duc Georges ont effectu un voyage dans les Pouilles en Italie. Ils ont ensuite t reus par le Pape Benot XVI au Vatican lors d’une audience prive.

La grande-duchesse Maria de Russie reue par le Pape | Noblesse & Royauts

Записки легитимиста - Паломничество Главы *оссийского Императорского Дома в Бари и встреча с Папой *имским
Old 12-22-2010, 03:40 AM
Heir Apparent

For a disputed claimant, she's very good at networking on a global scale.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 12-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent

You are quite right. I wonder what prompted Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna to meet Pope Benedict XVI. The visit may not be welcomed by the Russian Orthodox Church.

To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo

Tags
bagration, grand duchess maria vladimirovna, grand duke georgi, grand duke vladimir, leonida, maria vladimirovna, prince nicholas romanov, romanov claimant, russian pretender