The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Imperial Family of Russia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Gentry

Thanks for the background Melall. Here is a google translation of the part about Grand Duchess Maria.
VIEW: What do think about it the Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna (part of the head of monarchists regard it as the Russian Imperial House - approx. LOOK)?

IA: Our association, which includes the Romanov descendants around the world, of course, consider it a member of the family, but it does not recognize any special rights of the Emperor. With regard to restitution, Maria, in my opinion, is not expressed its position, and the people who surround her. No offense to them will be discussed, but I sometimes call them "Soviet nobility." Here they are prone to this. And those gentlemen, whom I represent, in general, share the view that I presented.
So the Grand Duchess was responding to comments made by a representative of the Romanov Family Association. Of course it is not a proper translation, but he seems to be saying that Grand Duchess Maria has not made her position on restitution known (implying that she does support it?. But as the Grand Duchess's spokesman says this is not the case and the Grand Duchess clearly does not support restitution. I also wonder what is meant by "Soviet nobility"?

Just shows that before getting all hot under the collar and slagging off the Grand Duchess it might be a good idea to check the facts.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The proper translation of the parts concerning Maria Vladimirovna and the position of the Romanov Family association (Google can be quite confusing sometimes).

- On the whole, how high is the "demand" for restitution - return of their property - among the immigrated Russian nobility?
- I wouldn't call it high at the moment. let me remind you that a lot of immigrants supported and fought for the Soviet Union during the war (note: he means World War II). That's because even abroad they always remained Russians first and foremost. Hitler once offered Prince Nicholas Romanov - the Head of the Romanov Family Association whom I represent - the Serbian Crown because his grandmother was a Princess of Montenegro. But he didn't consider the offer for a moment! That's because he is a Russian. In other words, any demands for restitutions are hardly supported by the "old immigrants" - immigrants of the first wave (note: meaning those who immigrated during or immediately after the revolution).

- What is Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna's position on this question?
- Out association, which includes Romanov descendants across the world, undoubtedly considers her part of the family, but does not recognise her possessing any special imperial rights (note: meaning they don't recognise her as Head of the House of Romanov, or pretender to the Imperial Throne). As for the question of restitutions, in my opinion Maria Vladimirovna expresses not as much her position, but that of those surrounding her. No offence meant but I often call them "soviet nobility" (note: meaning not proper or unethical nobility). They are probably inclined to accept restitutions. The nobility I represent do, in their majority, share the viewpoint I just expressed.

I wish both the Romanov Family Association and the House of Romanov stayed out of this; the issue doesn't concern them in any shape or form.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

She did.
When the jewellery collection belonging to Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna was found in Swedish Embassy, the jewels were auctioned and proceeds divided between the descendants of the Grand Duchess, including Maria Vladimirovna (who, I believe, got nearly half).

I found a blog entry from TRF that deals with those jewels, though there is no mention of a subsequent auction.
It can probably be found in Romanov and Russians Jewels thread.

just stateing it should have been a no comment on this matter for her and the family
Old 04-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Aristocracy

No one is making fun or slagging the Grand Duchess. Artemisia's original post I guess was sadly misquoted by the article saying that the GD is against 'restitution'. All the other posts dealing with the story were honest opinions. You're right, TomBert, it is nothing to get 'hot under the collar' about.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

It was hardly a misquote; I translated, word by word, what the official representative of the House of Romanov had to say on the topic.
Among other things, the said representative confirmed that the Grand Duchess is opposed to restitutions, as were her father and grandfather.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

Among other things, the said representative confirmed that the Grand Duchess is opposed to restitutions, as were her father and grandfather.
Maria can express her will as the Head of the Imperial House when speaking of the imperial family, but private individuals, whether descendants of noblility or not, certainly can and have pursued claims for personal property seized by the Communists without compensation. Not only in Russia, but in many other former Warsaw Pact nations.

Otherwise, she is merely commenting on something which is really none of her business.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Courtier

Grand Duchess Maria and Grand Duke George attended the wedding of Prince Rudolf of Liechtenstein in Istanbul on 20 April.

On 23 April, the Grand Duchess and Grand Duke arrived in St. Petersburg to take part in events relating to the 20th anniversary of the passing of their late father and grandfather, Grand Duke Vladimir, Head of the Imperial House from 1938-1992.

The next day Grand Duchess Maria and Grand Duke George attended services at the Sts. Peter & Paul Cathedral.

On April 25 they met with Georgy Poltavchenko, Governor of St. Petersburg and on the 26th there were discussions regarding the celebrations to be held next year to mark 400 years since the Romanovs came to the throne.

The Grand Duchess and Grand Duke departed St. Petersburg for Madrid on April 27.

Source: Communique from the Imperial House
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
On April 25 they met with Georgy Poltavchenko, Governor of St. Petersburg and on the 26th there were discussions regarding the celebrations to be held next year to mark 400 years since the Romanovs came to the throne.

Source: Communique from the Imperial House
If she comes back in 5 more years she can join the celebrations for the overthrow of the Romanovs. It makes as much sense as celebrating 400 years of a family that was overthrown nearly 100 years ago.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

And didn't treat the people kindly. A romantic notion of a terrible time gone by, except for the Romanovs and the nobility.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Aristocracy

I didn't say you were misquoted, Artemisia. I said the writers of the article made it sound like you were misquoted and made it sound like you didn't know what you were talking about, which I think you did know very well. That's all.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey 1904 View Post
I didn't say you were misquoted, Artemisia. I said the writers of the article made it sound like you were misquoted and made it sound like you didn't know what you were talking about, which I think you did know very well. That's all.
My apologies; language barrier can sometimes create unfortunate misunderstandings.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Aristocracy

You're TOO funny, NGalitizine! Don't give the Romanov haters any ideas about what to do in 5 OR 6 years.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Aristocracy

Don't worry about it, Artemisia. I can't read, let alone translate Russian. It just seemed that something was wrong with what you said about the article or what the article writers said, or maybe I didn't understand it. So, Maria is against retitution of the monarchy? I guess most of the citizens of that country seem to be, too. What kind of 'celebrations' do you think will be held in March 2013 in Russia?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey 1904 View Post
Don't worry about it, Artemisia. I can't read, let alone translate Russian. It just seemed that something was wrong with what you said about the article or what the article writers said, or maybe I didn't understand it. So, Maria is against retitution of the monarchy? I guess most of the citizens of that country seem to be, too. What kind of 'celebrations' do you think will be held in March 2013 in Russia?
Maria Vladimirovna, as well as all members of the House and Family of Romanov, are against restitutions (returning property to their former owners); their view is that what was left behind now belongs to the state. However, on the issue of the treasure found, there seems to be a division of opinions - not between the Romanovs (both the Imperial House and the Romanov Family association voiced opinion those pieces belong to museums, not private individuals), but among exiled Russian nobility; most seem to be of opinion that the treasure undoubtedly belongs to the Narishkins and it is up to them to decide what to do with it.

Regarding the upcoming Jubilee, there are actually going to be quite extensive celebrations. The main celebrations will be held in St. Petersburg and Moscow. The Governor of St. Petersburg, Georgiy Poltavchenko, has already had meetings with Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna regarding the celebrations, which suggests she is going to play some role in them.

A couple of articles on the topic.
Article 1 - Google translation 1
Article 2 - Google translation 2
Old 05-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Courtier

Maria is against property restitution, but she is certainly not against the return of the monarchy...should it be the will of God and the wish of the people.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Courtier

In light of the 400th anniversary since the ending of the Time of Troubles, the Russian Imperial House Foundation has been created to promote charitable donations for the advancement of certain social causes:

RUSSIAN IMPERIAL HOUSE | CHARITY FOUNDATION

Also, more information regarding celebratory events in 2013:

http://romanovs-great-dynasty.com
Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

More than they did when they were in power.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:07 AM
Aristocracy

It was brought up in the Romanov Russian Jewels forums in 2009 by Marsel that Maria got 1/4 of the proceeds from the sale of Maria Pavlovna's jewels found in Sweden. The other 3/4 was divided between the other descendants. Not sure what they sold for but it was more than the 2 million euros presale estimate. So Maria made probably between 1/2 to a million euros. Sounds like she is in favour of it to me.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceallach View Post
It was brought up in the Romanov Russian Jewels forums in 2009 by Marsel that Maria got 1/4 of the proceeds from the sale of Maria Pavlovna's jewels found in Sweden. The other 3/4 was divided between the other descendants. Not sure what they sold for but it was more than the 2 million euros presale estimate. So Maria made probably between 1/2 to a million euros. Sounds like she is in favour of it to me.
Here is that blog entry by Marsel.
The jewels in question were found in Swedish Foreign Office's storage rooms and had belong to Grand Duchess Maria Pavlova. The proceeds from the sale were divided between the descendants, with Maria Vladimirovna indeed getting 1/4.

I think the main difference between the cases is that those jewels were found outside Russia and could thus be claimed to their undisputed owners. Whereas the latest treasure discovery was made in Russia and as such the Russian Government may claim it as belonging to state.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Aristocracy

Well, I think it is baloney that Maria V. is against property restitution. Why does she think that property belonging to the Narishkins should be in a museum when there are two descendents left of the original family? She would want any Romanov property that belonged to her father returned to her. I'm sure she will be very involved in the celebrations next year. I don't think the people of Russia want the restoration of the monarchy though.I don't know how she expects to get money sent to her '2012 chairty', either.

Tags
bagration, grand duchess maria vladimirovna, grand duke georgi, grand duke vladimir, leonida, maria vladimirovna, prince nicholas romanov, romanov claimant, russian pretender