Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and other claimants to the Throne 2: Oct '06-Jun '08

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if Grand Duchess Maria visited the United States in August 2007?

Excuse me,what was that article above?"Great-granddaughter of Nicolas II expressed...."!!?She wished....!

So much for accuracy,as we all know the late Tsars children never married,let alone had any children,but that doesn't seem to bother to some circles.What a laugh!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's a translation error.

It is indeed an error - nowehere in the article is it said that she is Nicholas' granddaughter.

Grand Duchess Maria will be in Sydney, Australia, on 20 Sep 2007 for a luncheon hosted by the Australian Monarchist League.

How lovely. Let's hope there's lots of piccies.

1) Grand Duke Vladimir and Grand Duchess Leonida of Russia, 1 Jan 1960.
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1786/1jan1960hl9.jpg
2) Grand Duke Vladimir and Grand Duchesses Leonida and Maria at a banquet in the late 1960s.
ImageShack - Hosting :: 211leavingbanquet1xn3.jpg
3) President Yeltsin of Russia greeting Grand Duke Vladimir of Russia during the visit of the former to Paris, 6 Feb 1992. Two months later Vladimir died in Miami.
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6607/06021992nw7.jpg

Sources: ANP (w/Itar-Tass) & ËåãèòèìèñòÚ - Ñàéò Êàíöåëÿðèè Íà÷àëüíèêà ÐÈÑ-Î \\\ Ôîðóìû - Powered by vBulletin

Last edited:
Last edited:
Does anyone know if Grand Duchess Maria visited the United States in August 2007?
Dear boyar,
According to the Imperial House's website, the Grand Duchess was indeed in New York, although in early September.

In August 2007 I was in Los Angeles and I visited Universal. There I saw a woman speaking Russian who looked just like Grand Duchess Maria. She was there with other Russian people and they would talk between each other. I was so sure that this was Grand Duchess Maria. She was the same hight and build the same way. She wore cloths just like Grand Duchess Maria and had diamond jewerly.

No red flags, just red carpets, for grand duchess - National - theage.com.au
25 Sep 2007
Her Imperial Highness Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna breezed regally through Melbourne yesterday, leading an entourage of more than 20...
-------------------------------
The Associated Press: Czar's Family 'Not Political Victims'
27 Sep 2007
Family members of Russia's last czar should not be considered victims of political repression, a top prosecutor ruled Wednesday, again denying a request by royal family descendants...
-------------------------------
Star News Group - There’s no disputing this Russian royal visit - By Shaun Inguanzo
27 Sep 2007
The Soviet era may have spelt the end of the rule of the Russian royal family in the early 20th century. But that hasn’t stopped Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna from carrying on her family’s legacy...

Last edited:
Grand Duchess will recognize authenticity of royal remains after Russian church
30 Sep 2007
Head of the Imperial Family of Russia Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna hopes that the remains of the family of the last Russian tsar will be found...rest of article

I think that Vladimir Putin is busy inventing a new form of monarchy and that any chance of Russia becoming a constitutional monarchy any time soon is doubtful.
By the way it is a bit of a stretch of the imagination for the Grand Duchess to use HIH, firstly as Russia has devolved from an empire into a country. Secondly, she is not a ruler of any country. There is no problem with Princess, Grand Duchess or even Great Princess (which I think Grand Duchess translates into). As for whether the Tsar and his family were the victims of political repression, it is hard to think of what else their abysmal treatment could be classed as. There is still a lot of Communist era revisionism alive and well in Russia.

I love the look of revulsion on the Grand Duke's face and the look of bemused condescension on the face of the relative standing behind the Grand Duke. Considering it was Yeltsin who had the Ipatieff house demolished, there probably isn't a lot of love lost between the Romanovs and Yeltsin.
1) Grand Duke Vladimir and Grand Duchess Leonida of Russia, 1 Jan 1960.
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1786/1jan1960hl9.jpg
2) Grand Duke Vladimir and Grand Duchesses Leonida and Maria at a banquet in the late 1960s.
ImageShack - Hosting :: 211leavingbanquet1xn3.jpg
3) President Yeltsin of Russia greeting Grand Duke Vladimir of Russia during the visit of the former to Paris, 6 Feb 1992. Two months later Vladimir died in Miami.
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6607/06021992nw7.jpg

Sources: ANP (w/Itar-Tass) & ËåãèòèìèñòÚ - Ñàéò Êàíöåëÿðèè Íà÷àëüíèêà ÐÈÑ-Î \\\ Ôîðóìû - Powered by vBulletin

Benjamin, you're a marvel. Thanks so much for that link! Such fab pictures of the Grand Duchess. She really is stepping up her presence these days.

After reading through all seven pages on this discussion and through my own research, I would most certainly agree that GD Maria is indeed the rightful Head of the Imperial House of Romanov. No doubt about that, whatever anyone's personal "opinions" and bias maybe.

Happy Birthday Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna!

After reading through all seven pages on this discussion and through my own research, I would most certainly agree that GD Maria is indeed the rightful Head of the Imperial House of Romanov. No doubt about that, whatever anyone's personal "opinions" and bias maybe.
I don't really think anybody but her WANTS the throne anymore.

In my personal opinion...

Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna may not be viewed as the perfect choice, but acceptable one. Something is better than nothing. The current Romanovs unfortunately lack charismatic Princes of the right bloodline, who can outshine her and contest her claims to the Russian throne.

I don't really think anybody but her WANTS the throne anymore.
I would like to clarify that I did not mention anything about any Russian throne. There might just not be any throne at all since the Russian people do not seem keen on returning to having a monarchy. All I stated was her Headship of the Imperial House.

None of the current descendants have made anything close to an equal marriage under the Pauline Law, except for Maria Vladimirovna. Given that she is Vladimir's only child and represents the senior line of the Romanovs, there is no question she is the rightful Head of the Imperial House.

Whether she would actually become Tsarina if the monarchy was restored is another matter altogether. The Russian Government could choose anyone to succeed the throne.

Whether she would actually become Tsarina if the monarchy was restored is another matter altogether. The Russian Government could choose anyone to succeed the throne.
It is a very insightful observation. The rules would be re-interpreted to accommodate the circumstances.

The Russian Government could choose anyone to succeed the throne.[/quote]

What about the Russian Orthodox Church? Wouldn't they have a say on the matter as well? The other thing of course is they might let the Russian people decide through a referendum.

The Russian Orthodox Church would prefer to find the golden mean in such situation without straining relationships with the government.

How do you figure she has a better claim? Her father's marriage was morganatic, which makes him just as disqualified as the others. None of the other Romanovs recognize her claim.

How do you figure she has a better claim? Her father's marriage was morganatic, which makes him just as disqualified as the others. None of the other Romanovs recognize her claim.

Grand Duke Vladimir had already succeeded his father as Head of the Imperial House when he married Princess Leonida. Furthermore, prior to his marriage, he had ruled the Bagrations were a royal and sovereign house in response to a question from Infante Ferdinand as to the status of the family.

Given those points, it's hard to argue Vladimir married morganatically and Maria was therefore disqualified to succeed. The Head of the House is the final word on these matters and that was the end of it.

The other Romanovs are unquestionably descendants of morganatic marriages, some of whom did not seek permission to marry from Grand Duke Cyril or Grand Duke Vladimir.

The Russian Government could choose anyone to succeed the throne.
What about the Russian Orthodox Church? Wouldn't they have a say on the matter as well? The other thing of course is they might let the Russian people decide through a referendum.
Maria is unquestionably recognized by the Church as the de-jure Tsarina of All Russias. The Russian people are unlikely to approve a restoration of the monarchy through a referendum since there is little support for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom