Emperor Nicholas II's voice recording

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvoynik_nikolay

Commoner
City
Minsk
Country
Belarus
Emperor Nicholas II's voice recording.

0009xw0x

Emperor Nicolas II's voice (recording).wmv

Occasional voice recording of the Emperor Nicholas II, the parade of His Imperial Majesty separate Grenadier Corps in honor of the birthday of the Sovereign.

Commanded the parade, Lieutenant-General Baron von Eck Eduard Vladimirovich.

01 - 04 sec. Lt. Gen. Edward V. Eck:
"Listen to (inaudible)! Brothers! I drink to the health of our dear Sovereign Leader Emperor Nicholas Alexandrovich! Hurrah!"

39 - 41 sec. Children's voices:
"Hurrah Hurrah!" Anybody else, except as a voice Tsarevich Alexei Nikolaevich, it can not be.

05 sec. - 1 min. 02 sec. The orchestra plays the national anthem Russia Empire.

1 min. 03 sec. - 1 min. 12 sec. Lt. Gen. Edward V. Eck:
"To the ceremonial march - rifle on his shoulder! Quick march!"

1 min. 13 sec. - 1 min. 48 sec. The orchestra played a Kroup military march "Homesickness."

1 min. 49 sec. - 1 min. 53 sec. Emperor Nicholas Alexandrovich:
"Brothers! Thank you for the full parade!"

2 min. 08 sec. - 2 minutes. 13 sec. Emperor Nicholas Alexandrovich:
"Thank you, brothers, for a excellent apprenticeship!"

Thanks ever so much for posting.

It's rather eerie to hear the recorded voice of the Tsar, and I particularly enjoyed the orchestra. To hear it nearly a century later is quite something.

Thank you for posting the clip. Nikolai had a very clear voice. I could make out most of the words (this is one of those instances when I'm glad I still speak and understand Russian).

The Tsar certainly had a deep and resonant voice. Great for the days before electronic amplification. :flowers:

Thank you for posting this clip. There was a a different clip of Nicholas' voice posted on another thread and I was amazed, like I am with this one, on how his voice sounded. He sounded great and it is a pity that he could not use it to inspire his people when their world came crashing down.

That was eerie, and also good to hear the Tsar's actual voice. I've seen so many documentaries about him and his family, and always there were actors doing his voice. Each actor was different, one having a deep voice and another having a high voice. So, its good to know what the Tsar really sounded like.

There are else two voice recording of Emperor.

There are else two voice recording of Emperor Nicholas II Alexandrovich.
One account - speech Nicholas II during his visit to France in 1901.

His voice is very much like I'd imagined, warm and kind. I'd have loved a longer recording of him speaking, but this is quite amazing too.

He was a loving father and husband, and a miserable head of state. He should have been a shoe clerk. My apologies to them.

He was a loving father and husband, and a miserable head of state. He should have been a shoe clerk. My apologies to them.

Too easy to say he was a miserable head of state. He tried to do his best, but circumstances were too difficult sometimes. His only son´s ilness affected all the family deeply.
Anyway, thank you very much for the clip! SOO interesting! I have heard the Tsar´s voice for the first time and it was really exciting to listen to! I was quite surprised, how resonant and strong his voice was! I always imagined that his voice was mild, as he was a kind, mild person.

Too easy to say he was a miserable head of state. He tried to do his best, but circumstances were too difficult sometimes.

I tend to agree - general circumstances in that period of history were very difficult and Russia has never been "easy to rule" (and it still isn't IMO). He certainly wasn't the best man for the job, though.

However, thank you for posting the video, dvoynik_nikolay! It is indeed special and a bit uncanny to hear voices from personalities of that era - I had similar impressions when I heard Kaiser Wilhelm II.'s voice for the first time. Judging from this recording Nicholas' voice sounded pleasant and manly, as I would have expected it (funnily his voice reminded me of Prince Michael's :hmm:).

Last edited:
Just incredible to hear the actual voice of the Tsar a century later! Haunting and beautiful to hear him speak with his warm strong voice. Thank you!

I tend to agree - general circumstances in that period of history were very difficult and Russia has never been "easy to rule" (and it still isn't IMO). He certainly wasn't the best man for the job, though.

However, thank you for posting the video, dvoynik_nikolay! It is indeed special and a bit uncanny to hear voices from personalities of that era - I had similar impressions when I heard Kaiser Wilhelm II.'s voice for the first time. Judging from this recording Nicholas' voice sounded pleasant and manly, as I would have expected it (funnily his voice reminded me of Prince Michael's :hmm:).

I've listened to the clip several times, and I will definitely agree with you there. I have a video dealing with the Romanovs from A&E/Biography Chanel, and it was narrated by Prince Michael of Kent. His Highness and Nikolai II look very much alike, and I know Prince Michael is very interested in Russia (his Russian is quite good; he reads and speaks better than I do). I think it's only fitting that they would sound similar too.

What I also found interesting is voice of a child yelling 'Hoorah'. Wonder if that's Aleksey, or someone in the crowd. If it indeed was Aleksey, then he had a very sweet and quiet voice. Don't know if that was true of his nature (the quiet part that is), because I read in several books (including memoirs) that he was a rather a mischievous child, even with his illness.

Thank you.
But, please, do not forget that the "gentle, kind," the Emperor Nicholas brutally suppressed the revolution of 1905.
And he gave orders to remove four troops from the front to quell the unrest in St. Petersburg in February 1917.
If not for treason and conspiracy, and betrayal of generals, the revolutions of 1917 were not.
There is a Russian proverb: "Soft spreads, but hard to sleep".
From this point of view is very characteristic look of Nicholas II, fixed on the intro to the clip. And generals's views to him, including his uncle Nicholas Nicholaevich.

Last edited:
What I also found interesting is voice of a child yelling 'Hoorah'. Wonder if that's Aleksey, or someone in the crowd. If it indeed was Aleksey, then he had a very sweet and quiet voice. Don't know if that was true of his nature (the quiet part that is), because I read in several books (including memoirs) that he was a rather a mischievous child, even with his illness.

The probability that the voice of the Tsarevich Alexei sounds in the video is very big. The first is certainly the voice of children. In second, other children in the video and photos on the Russian parade does not occur. And third, Emperor Nicholas II often took with him to military parades Alexis. Beginning in 1915, when the Emperor took over the Supreme Commander during the war, almost always with him was the Crown Prince.
As, for example, in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMs2h-NBTvw&feature=related

Thank you so much for the clip. Nice to see some color footage too. I've read that Nikolai took Aleksey to parades even when he was younger. As always, precious to see a little boy wanting to do everything that his father does, and in this case, Aleksey is looking serious and attentive.

Last edited by a moderator:
The third voice recording of the Emperor Nicholas II.

This third voice recording of the Emperor Nicholas II, performed in four of the film "Nicholas II", shown on the NTV channel in 1998.
Emperor Nicholas II takes the parade grenadiers.

Third Nicholas II`s voice recording/

32 sec. - 35 seconds. - The voice of Emperor Nicholas II - "Healthy (Hello), Samogitskie Grenadiers!"

35 sec. - 37 sec. - Samogitsky 7th Grenadier Adjutant-General Count Totleben Regiment - "Good health we wish for Your Majesty!"

Last edited:
Yes thank you for showing me this. I have read many books on Nicholas II and I have alway wondered what it sounded like. So once again thank you.

Tsar Nicholas II had a very enthusiastic voice. I wonder how his voice sounded when he was confronted by his paternal uncles The Grand Dukes.

Back
Top Bottom