The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Imperial Family of Russia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 02-12-2008, 09:44 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by plkbvt View Post
AA ceased to be Orthodox in the late 1920s, when the Orthodox Church declared her a fraud. Make of this what you will, but her attitude to the Church was the same as her (ultimate) attitude toward the Romanov survivors. She rejected them all (should she not have had the right to do that? -- as a human being, I mean). I doubt that you, or I, or almost anyone would behave differently. pk
Oh I agree and understand. I was treated appallingly by the local parish priest because of my sexuality. It took me 4 years to find a gay friendly Catholic Church but even that has meant tiny little steps and I spent 4 years totally rejecting the Church because it rejected me so I'm a kindred spirit with AA on that front.
__________________

__________________
  #122  
Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, United States
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I believe that even at the time of her death the cremation caused some eyebrows to rise as it is really very uncommon with Russian Orthodox people. And I believe that it was done very quickly too, only a few hours after she died. Some believe that this path was chosen so no tests could be done on the body of Ms. Anderson.
OK -- let me tell this again (as I have done many times) -- she ceased to be Orthodox; she was not interested in it after 1928 or so; she felt that the Church as well as the Romanov family had betrayed her (as they did): "And what good were all Mama's prayers? She was so devout and she prayed constantly -- and even so disaster has befallen us." What!? -- was she to be denied the crisis of faith that any fool can have (and does)? It is terribly insulting (to her, not to me). It's like some of the German judges said in the early days: "Well, it's not possible that she would avoid the Russian language, because everyone knows that the Russian adheres so dearly to his heritage and background."

Bullfeathers! She was treated like a piece of dirt, and pride alone would have swung her away from romantic and sentimental notions about "Russia."

The decision for cremation she made herself in 1927 (and before you say "Franziska Schanzkowska," let me remind you that the same strictures against cremation existed at that time in the Catholic faith -- so, whoever she was, she was defying them all). It certainly had nothing to do with some fear she may have had about "DNA" tests, which didn't exist even at the time she died in 1984. I do believe she was worried about her corpse being poked at and molested on account of "the claim" -- but PLEASE!!! It was her own decision and she was committed to it. pk
__________________

__________________
  #123  
Old 02-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, United States
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
So, what are the chances that a random piece of tissue taken from the Martha Jefferson hospital would have a 100% match with Karl Maucher though?
It was not 100% -- look it up. In the 14-15 years since those tests were done, moreover, it has been shown that 20 to 30 to 40 percent of modern "Europeans" can be shown to have the same profile. pk
__________________
  #124  
Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belleville, United States
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by plkbvt View Post
It was her own decision and she was committed to it. pk
And she absolutely had the right to make that decision.
Lexi
__________________
  #125  
Old 02-12-2008, 10:04 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
OK guys, I had to step back as moderator and take out references to personalties here. It does not help the discussion and it would be extremely helpful if from now on, we can take the emotions out of this discussion and hopefully we can all learn a lot.

Please just stick to the facts of the case and leave your personal opinions (positive and negative) about other members out of the discussion. It doesn't advance your case.

ysbel
Russian forum moderator
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #126  
Old 02-12-2008, 10:04 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by plkbvt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
So, what are the chances that a random piece of tissue taken from the Martha Jefferson hospital would have a 100% match with Karl Maucher though?
It was not 100% -- look it up. In the 14-15 years since those tests were done, moreover, it has been shown that 20 to 30 to 40 percent of modern "Europeans" can be shown to have the same profile. pk
Thanks plkbvt, do you have a link to the findings that you can share with us?
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #127  
Old 02-12-2008, 10:19 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
I've just deleted another post after the mod warning not to engage in personal fights here.

Personal fight between members will not be tolerated.

The rest of us don't want a ringside seat in a personal fight.

This is the last warning I will make of this kind.

ysbel
Russian forums moderator
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #128  
Old 02-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 14,834
Thank you for informing me about Ms. Andersons history with the Orthodox church, I was not aware she turned her back to it in the 20-ties already. The catholic and the protestant churches were against cremation in those days too and some protestant branches still are today indeed.

That she chose to be cremated quickly after her death to prevent people rom doing all kinds of tests on her is understandable too, but still it feeds the rumours that she had something to hide, that she was an impostor and such.

But again, what do all these theories, clues, strange stories etc. matter now? We have had scientific evidence and the real body of Anastasia has been found near Jekatherineburg. So how sympathetic, charming, etc. Ms. Anderson was, it wouldn't be very logical to keep believing that she was Grand Duchess Anastasia.


Quote:
Originally Posted by plkbvt View Post


OK -- let me tell this again (as I have done many times) -- she ceased to be Orthodox; she was not interested in it after 1928 or so; she felt that the Church as well as the Romanov family had betrayed her (as they did): "And what good were all Mama's prayers? She was so devout and she prayed constantly -- and even so disaster has befallen us." What!? -- was she to be denied the crisis of faith that any fool can have (and does)? It is terribly insulting (to her, not to me). It's like some of the German judges said in the early days: "Well, it's not possible that she would avoid the Russian language, because everyone knows that the Russian adheres so dearly to his heritage and background."

Bullfeathers! She was treated like a piece of dirt, and pride alone would have swung her away from romantic and sentimental notions about "Russia."

The decision for cremation she made herself in 1927 (and before you say "Franziska Schanzkowska," let me remind you that the same strictures against cremation existed at that time in the Catholic faith -- so, whoever she was, she was defying them all). It certainly had nothing to do with some fear she may have had about "DNA" tests, which didn't exist even at the time she died in 1984. I do believe she was worried about her corpse being poked at and molested on account of "the claim" -- but PLEASE!!! It was her own decision and she was committed to it. pk
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
  #129  
Old 02-13-2008, 10:29 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
The quote feature got messed up when you responded to me so I'll respond to what I can figure out that you wrote:

Quote:
But it is different, precisely because of the person AA claimed to be. Don't give me Bellevue and mental wards and "homeless" psychotics -- she had nothing to do with that, as every doctor who ever saw her, right up to her death, could and did attest ....
It doesn't make sense to claim that Anna Anderson's case is different because of who she claimed to be.Despite all the claims, everybody's DNA works on the same principles and the tests should be equally reliable no matter who was the subject of the test-whether it was Anastasia or Franziska Schanzkowska or the homeless man down the street from Bellevue.

Despite what Anna Anderson later claimed to be, she was originally found as an unidentified woman in the area of Berlin with amnesia which is not that different situation than some of the homeless people that get found at Bellevue. There is a process for identifying unknown persons as she originally was known as 'Fraeulein Unbekannt' and while it doesn't work 100%, there is no reason to think that it cannot work on Anna Anderson in the same way that it works on thousands of other people.

If people stopped seeing this case as so special just because of who Anna Anderson claimed to be and just looked at it as another missing person report, the mystery would solve itself. Anna Anderson may have been extremely hurt by others in her lifetime and have great humanity regardless of whether she was Anastasia or Franziska Schanzkowska and she may have sincerely believed she was Anastasia and made a very convincing presentation to all those around her. But that doesn't necessarily mean that she WAS Anastasia.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #130  
Old 02-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
No, it doesn't.
__________________
  #131  
Old 02-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 186
Cinderella’s glass slippers

Once again:
Anna Anderson and GD Anastasia: Cinderella’s glass slippers.
Due to these discussions and due to conversation on this theme with Peter Kurth (I thank you so much, Peter!), I have decided to formulate this theme more precisely now:

1. GD Anastasia had CONGENITAL “Hallux Valgus” (bunions).
The identity of the congenital deformity of GD Anastasia's feet, which was very pronounced, is not only visible in photographs of the young grand duchess, but was confirmed even by those close to ANR who did NOT believe in AA's identity (for instance, the tsar's
younger sister GD Olga Alexandrovna – and she well knew the imperial children since their birth). It *was* congenital, and it was not caused by anything else. The nurse-maid (of little Anastasia) Shura Tegleva confirmed Anastasia’s congenital bunions too.

2. Anna Anderson had CONGENITAL hallux valgus (bunions) too.
Except of this diagnosis of German doctors (in Dalldorf, 1920), the diagnosis "the congenital “Hallux Valgus" was put also by the Russian doctor Sergey Mihajlovich Rudnev in St.Maria's clinic in the summer of 1925 (AA was very hardly sick of a tubercular infection):
«On her right foot I have noticed strong deformation, OBVIOUSLY, CONGENITAL: the big finger bend to the right, forming a tumour». Hallux Valgus was on her both feet. (Peter Kurth's book [Anastasia. The riddle of Anna Anderson], in Russian, p.99). Doctor Rudnev has cured and has rescued her life in 1925. AA named him «my kind Russian professor who has rescued my life».

3. On July, 27, 1925 to Berlin the spouses Gillard have arrived. Once again: Shura Gillard-Tegleva was the nurse-maid of GD Anastasia in Russia. They have visited very much sick AA in clinic. Shura has asked to show the feet of the patient. The blanket has been cast cautiously away, Shura has exclaimed:
«With [Anastasia] it was the same as here: the right foot was worse than the left» (Peter Kurth."Anastasia. The riddle of Anna Anderson", in Russian, p.121)
***
Now, the statistics data of “Hallux Valgus” (bunions):
-- the "hallux valgus" (HV) has 0,95 % from number of the surveyed women;
-- the first degree of the HV has 89 % from them (= 0,85% from the surveyed women );
-- the third degree of the HV has 1,6 % from them (= 0,0152% from the surveyed women or 1: 6580 );
-- the statistics of a congenital case «hallux valgus» makes (in modern Russia) 8:142 000000, or, approximately, 1:17 750 000!
We can assume the statistics data of a congenital case «hallux valgus» in former Russia did not differ too strongly (let even in some times, 1: 10 000 000). Thus the case of “AA was not ANR” has the probability from 1:10 millions to 1:17 millions.
In addition:
The citation from article about congenital “hallux valgus” of AA (“Gone with the wind”, L-A newspaper "Panorama", February, 2007):
“As one of the orthopedists (advising me) has expressed: «It is easier to find two girls of one age with identical FINGER PRINTS, than with attributes CONGENITAL hallux valgus”
***
Thus, I think (I hope :), very rare congenital deformation of feet "hallux valgus" of AA and ANR puts a fat point in fierce disputes of supporters and opponents of Anna Anderson.
The scientific medical statistics in this case is in 3000 times of more reliability (authentic), than DNA-researches and much more preferable in sense of possibility of mistakes and falsification. Hence, thereof, the burden of an explanation of discrepancy of DNA-tests should lie down completely on the opponents Anna Anderson. They should find a mistake or traces of falsification. Supporters of Anna Anderson can engage in more important affairs now: in particular, to find-out (investigation) of mess with remains of Imperial family in Russia.

Regards
Boris

P.S. Of course, I can suppose many opponents (opponents of Anna Anderson) will keep their former opinion, but henceforth they should demonstratively deny down the stated above.
P.P.S. ... and they should deny Peter Kurth's book on former - the main thing!
__________________
  #132  
Old 02-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Anna was Franziska's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post

But again, what do all these theories, clues, strange stories etc. matter now? We have had scientific evidence and the real body of Anastasia has been found near Jekatherineburg. So how sympathetic, charming, etc. Ms. Anderson was, it wouldn't be very logical to keep believing that she was Grand Duchess Anastasia.

That's right. After the DNA proved her to be an imposter, none of the old 'what about the shoes' 'what about what so n so said' matter anymore. We have our answer, though it may not be what some had hoped for. Until somebody can prove that the sample was switched or the results tampered with (both frequent accusations from Anderson's backers) or at least give some reasonable proof for such a theory other than simply a desire for her to be Anastasia, the results stand as evidence. As someone else mentioned, it wasn't just a mismatch (and remember, ONE mismatch is all it takes, so no need to compare more, she's already had five) for the royal family (it was Prince Phillip's DNA that was used) it also was a match for the Schanzkowska family(no mismatches). Those 1920's detectives turned out to have been right all along!


Looking at clear, face forward pictures, not disguised by dark shadows or convenient props, it's clear to me- even without DNA- that AA was FS. The facial shape, bone structure and features match. Anderson (Schanzkowska) had a flat, squared chin, a wide mouth and thick, shapeless lips. Anastasia had a long, rounded chin and a small mouth with thin lips.
__________________
  #133  
Old 02-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Anna was Franziska's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by plkbvt View Post

It was not 100% -- look it up.
It was 99.9%, which is as much as you can get. It doesn't go to 100. You can have a 100% exclusion (as AA's sample did for the royal family) but as far as proving identity, it doesn't go any higher than 99.9% for anyone.

Some of those 'who's the baby's daddy' shows will have results that come back that the father got only 96% or 98% proof of paternity, but still didn't question the results. (even if he didn't want to have to pay child support!)

Quote:
In the 14-15 years since those tests were done, moreover, it has been shown that 20 to 30 to 40 percent of modern "Europeans" can be shown to have the same profile. pk
Yes the entire genome is vast, BUT every single human being shares the exact same sequences over 99.5% of the genome. The actual amount of variation is rather small, and occurs in what is called "junk DNA". Only certain strings of junk DNA will match with close blood relations. HOWEVER, only two or three max. mis matches will exclude relationship 100% no doubt.(she had five) THIS is why those claiming the mtDNA of Anna Anderson should be retested or is "unrealiable" are simply wrong.

To be clear. Whether one looks at 13 or 23 loci, ONE mismatch is an exclusion for mtDNA. The case of Anna Manahan had FIVE mismatches to the Victoria line of descent. There were NO mismatches for the Karl Maucher mtDNA. IF one examines 23 loci, the same five mis-matches will STILL be there. This is the reason that every single specialist in forensic mtDNA analysis says there is no reason to re test the Anna manahan samples.

For example (this is going to be extremely oversimplified, but ok for our purposes). Here are two sequences:


ACTGGGTAACGTAAGGTC
AGTAAGCCACTATACGCC


So we are comparing them to see if the two match. Normally you won't compare the entire sequence but just part of it...

So if we look at random loci (positions) then there is a chance we may get a false positive if we don't look at enough of them... Like this:

ACTGGGTAACGTAAGGTC
AGTAAGCCACTATACGCC


So even though these specific loci match, the sequence doesn't. Statistically speaking, the more loci you compare the more accurate the result will be, because in this case, if you did one more, there would be a mismatch and we would have our answer.

However, with mismatch, it's a different story once there is a mismatch, even of one base. So if you look at the same sequence but compare more loci and get one mismatch, it's a mismatch, period. There is no way you can a false mismatch... Like this:

ACTGGGTAACGTAAGGTC
AGTAAGCCACTATACGCC


And once there is a mismatch, all bets are off. ONE mismatch is all it takes, and she already has five, so it won't make any difference how many more sequences they test. One and she's out.
__________________
  #134  
Old 02-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 2,536
Thank you. Very clearly and nicely presented.
__________________
  #135  
Old 02-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Thank you. Very clearly and nicely presented.
The scientific medical statistics in this case is in 3000 times of more reliability (authentic), than DNA-researches and much more preferable in sense of possibility of mistakes and falsification.
"Clearly and nicely"?
__________________
  #136  
Old 02-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisRom View Post
Once again:
Anna Anderson and GD Anastasia: Cinderella’s glass slippers.

1. GD Anastasia had CONGENITAL “Hallux Valgus” (bunions).
The identity of the congenital deformity of GD Anastasia's feet, which was very pronounced, is not only visible in photographs of the young grand duchess, but was confirmed even by those close to ANR who did NOT believe in AA's identity (for instance, the tsar's
younger sister GD Olga Alexandrovna – and she well knew the imperial children since their birth). It *was* congenital, and it was not caused by anything else. The nurse-maid (of little Anastasia) Shura Tegleva confirmed Anastasia’s congenital bunions too.

2. Anna Anderson had CONGENITAL hallux valgus (bunions) too.
Except of this diagnosis of German doctors (in Dalldorf, 1920), the diagnosis "the congenital “Hallux Valgus" was put also by the Russian doctor Sergey Mihajlovich Rudnev in St.Maria's clinic in the summer of 1925 (AA was very hardly sick of a tubercular infection):


I have hallux valgus, my father has hallux valgus, but it does'nt make me Anastasia!
__________________
  #137  
Old 02-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Princess Lisa View Post
[/size][/font]

I have hallux valgus, my father has hallux valgus, but it does'nt make me Anastasia!
Have you CONGENITAL hallux valgus?

-- the "hallux valgus" (HV) has 0,95 % from number of the surveyed women;
-- the first degree of the HV has 89 % from them (= 0,85% from the surveyed women );
-- the third degree of the HV has 1,6 % from them (= 0,0152% from the surveyed women or 1: 6580 );
-- the statistics of a congenital case «hallux valgus» makes (in modern Russia) 8:142 000000, or, approximately, 1:17 750 000!
We can assume the statistics data of a congenital case «hallux valgus» in former Russia did not differ too strongly (let even in some times, 1: 10 000 000). Thus the case of “AA was not ANR” has the probability from 1:10 millions to 1:17 millions.

As one of the orthopedists has expressed: «It is easier to find two girls of one age with identical FINGER PRINTS, than with attributes CONGENITAL hallux valgus”

So,
have you CONGENITAL HV?
__________________
  #138  
Old 02-13-2008, 08:30 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisRom View Post
The scientific medical statistics in this case is in 3000 times of more reliability (authentic), than DNA-researches and much more preferable in sense of possibility of mistakes and falsification.
"Clearly and nicely"?
Can you show us other cases where hallux valgux was a preferred method of identification over DNA testing?
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #139  
Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 36
Congenital means something that has been inherited.
As my father has been to the doctor and diagnosed with a bunion and I also subsequently have been diagnosed with the same thing on my right foot, I think it is safe to assume I inherited this condition from my father.
It is very annoying because I am unable to wear high heels, only about an inch and a half.
__________________
  #140  
Old 02-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Princess Lisa View Post
Congenital means something that has been inherited.
As my father has been to the doctor and diagnosed with a bunion and I also subsequently have been diagnosed with the same thing on my right foot, I think it is safe to assume I inherited this condition from my father.
It is very annoying because I am unable to wear high heels, only about an inch and a half.
No.
Congenital means that a person has it from the birthday. Parents of Anastasia (Nicholas and Alexandra) had not it (HV) in general.
Boris

P.S.
I sympathize with you and your father.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
anastasia, anna anderson, dr berenberg-gossler, ekaterinburg, franziska schanzkowska, grand duchess anastasia, pierre gilliard, prince michael romanov


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grand Duke Henri & Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Current Events 5 (June 2006-Mar 2008) Danielle Current Events Archive 203 03-04-2008 12:55 AM
Grand Duke Henri & Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Current Events 4 (February-June 2006) Alexandria Current Events Archive 196 06-04-2006 02:14 AM




Popular Tags
belgium carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:50 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]