The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Imperial Family of Russia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #741  
Old 07-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Anna was Franziska's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 823
I was so determined to prove this I drove directly to the library and tried to get the books, but both are checked out. I will try another library another time.

Welch's book does use other sources already seen over and over in other books, but does have some new info. The interesting thing about her book is that it's written under the known premise that AA was not AN, and therefore looks at it that way and not in a 'maybe she was maybe she wasn't' way. She makes no attempts to debunk the myth as I do, in her view, that was done by the dna and is not necessary. She does have a few tidbits that no pro AA writer would ever use.

Lexi have you answered the poll posted by the mod? Your posts generally support Chat and AA's case, what is your stand, do you believe the 1994 DNA test, and do you believe the 2007 bones are those of the last two children?
__________________

  #742  
Old 07-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChatNoir View Post
Grand Duke Andrew seemed to believe so. And so did Xenia Leeds, and they were both her family.
As did Mathilda Kschessinska. See her book: Dancing in St. Petersburg.
__________________

  #743  
Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Anna was Franziska's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 823
She never met the real AN. Being her father's ex mistress I can imagine it would have been awkward to have her hanging around! She met her once she was elderly, and again gave the very weak "must be because she has Nicky's eyes" answer, nothing unique to AN herself because she'd never met her. I'm sure the kindly old soul wanted one of Nicky's kids to live, but they didn't.

Her husband, Grand Duke Andre, being married to the Tsar's ex mistress and being the brother and son of Nicky and Alix's worst enemies in the family the Vladimirovich, was hardly a frequent family guest, either. He's touted as an 'aide de camp' of the tsar, but the tsar had several, and according to lists I've seen posted on AP, he was not one of the more popular or close ones.

In addition to that, his inollvement in the AA charade was very suspect, having written to Sergei Botkin, uncle of Gleb and head of the Russian emigre' community in Berlin:

The number of people who have been drawn into this work is very large, and among them such strict discipline is apparent as was never present in Russian circles.”(Kurth p.152) What did he mean by ‘discipline? Was this a ‘code of silence’ that those involved in the charade would never speak of it? What did it mean that he distinguished the group from ‘purely Russian circles’, that there were others involved who were not Russians? His words do prove at least by 1927, her network of 'helpers' was 'very large.' If even one of them were to give it away, the entire house cards would fall and everyone involved would go down, so it's not surprising they never gave themselves away.

Olga A. wrote to a friend in 1928:

ebruary, 15th 1928, Hvidore

Dear Miss B***,

Indeed, you understand like us the absurdity of this story! More and more, I see that this story is all about blackmail and money....I say openly that my cousin André must have some vile motives to side against us…


Regardless of it all, Andre/Andrew refused to have anything to do with the case after Gleb's scathing letter to the Tsar's sister. I don't have the direct quote, but after finding out about this Andre was furious at Gleb, declaring that he had 'ruined everything.' WHAT did he ruin?

Your Imperial Highness!

Twenty four hours did not pass after the death of your mother when you hastened to take another step in the conspiracy against your niece...Before the wrong which Your Imperial Highness is committing, even the gruesome murder of the Emperor, his family and my father by the Bolsheviks pales! It is easier to understand a crime committed by a gang of crazed and drunken savages than the calm, systematic, endless persecution of one of your own family, the Grand Duchess Anastasia Nicholaevna, whose only fault is that, being the only rightful heir to the late Emperor, she stands in the way of her greedy and unscrupuous relatives.


  #744  
Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
She never met the real AN. Being her father's ex mistress I can imagine it would have been awkward to have her hanging around!
That would have been beyond the pale if Nicky had Mathilda personally meet his family. Nicky and Alix had a very passionate relationship, she probably would go ballistic if that ever happened.
  #745  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Anna was Franziska's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 823
Oh Alix would never have put up with that! Egads! I guess that's why she didn't!
  #746  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 797
Maybe we should look at WHY Gleb wrote this letter. From "The Woman who rose again":
A friend of mine who was very close to some of the highest officials in Washington informed me privately that, left unanswered, the statement of Grand Duchess Xenia and her children (The Copenhagen Statement) had to be accepted by the United States Government as true; and the Unites States could not harbour impostors and would, therefore, on the basis of Xenia's statement deport Anastasia back to Germany. Moreover, there being no possibility of Anastasia's bringing a libel suit against her aunts in Europe, the only thing that could be done was for me to issue a counter-statement strong enough to make it a grave libel if untrue. Should Grand Duchess Xenia bring a libel suit against me, Washington would allow Anastasia to remain in this country for all the duration of the litigaton. And should Xenia fail to bring suit against me, Washington would accept it as a confession on her part that she knew my statement to be true and hence knew her own accusations against Grand Duchess Anastasia to be false.

When somewhat later Xenia's husband, Grand Duke Alexander, arrived in this country a delegation of Russians went to ask him what he or his wife planned to do to refute my accusations. Alexander answered that he had already written a very stern letter to my uncle, Peter.
  #747  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 797
As for Grand Duke Andrew, here are some of his own words about the case:
(My apologies if I have posted this already.)
Villa Alam, Cap d'Ail, A/M. 8th July, 1928

Mr. P. S. von Kügelgen
Berlin-Zehlendorf,
Kleistrasse 20.

My dear Paul Pavlovich,

In order to obviate the possibility of any misunderstanding whatever, I should like to indicate in general lines the object of my work.
When I began my investigations, it became obvious to me that everything that had hitherto been done had been carried out unsystematically, that no accurate reports existed, and that no one had been inspired by a fixed purpose.

It is perfectly obvious that the question of the "Unknown," as she was called, must be dealt with in such a manner that the first point to be established is whether it was as all probable that one of the Princesses was rescued from Ekaterinburg. Inquiries made with this object in view have yielded no documentary evidence; but it transpired that the rescue of one of the Prencesses was not merely probable, but might almost be regarded as an established fact. The absence of precise information admittedly renders it impossible to treat this hypothesis as proved, and for this reason many people disagree on the point. Nevertheless, facts are known to me which have convinced me, although at the moment I do not feel myself justified in divulging them, since this aspect of the case must be handled very carefully.
The question next arises, whether the "Unknown" sho appeared in Berlin is identical with the Princess. As documentary evidence is lacking, we are forced to content ourselves with the interrogation of the patient herself. chiefly in regard to verifying her recollections. As far as this is concerned, I must state that her reminiscences, so far as I have been able ro examine them, yield a description, clear in every respect, of actual facts. Everything which she recalls is an absolutely accurate description of the life of the Royal Family, including details which have never appeared in the Press. My own opinion is that the things which the patient remembers are such as only the Princess herself could recall.
We next come to a question which has given rise to considerable doubt, whether the "Unknown" resembles the Princess in appearance. I have seen her personally, and was greatly impressed by the striking similarity; I was even more struck by the general family resemblance, which is in some respects of almost greater importance than a personal likeness. My impression was, of course, a personal one, but it was so strong and so convincing that I could come to no other conclusion than that the patient could only be the Princess Anastasia Nikolaevna herself.
All the doubts so far expressed by the Press are completely removed by the scientific and practical results of my investigations. ALthough I was prepared to admit that there might be objections, I have been compelled to regard them as entirely unfounded and unproven. My opinions are confirmed by the similar manner in which these objections have been treated by Duke George von Leuchtenberg.
As regards two other questions, it is absolutely necessary that they should be fully confuted: the first is whether any political influence enters into the case. The reappearance of the Princess can have no political significance, since, in view of the fact that male members of our dynasty survive, her chance of succession is a very remote one. The second question is that of material interests being involved. Long before the "Unknown" appeared, I carefully investigated all the rumours concerning the existence of the millions alleged to have been left by the late Tsar; in every case these rumours proved to be unfounded, as I expected. Unfortunately it has to be borne in mind that this statement is being used as a means of throwing suspicion on all who took any part in my inquiries, by accusing them of being influenced by self-interest and speculative motives.

The object which I undertook when commencing my work is and continues to be the same - to establish the truth, be it what it may. All who have helped me for nearly two years are inspired by the same aims, so that I am grieved and angered by the accusations levelled against them, even more so than by those of which I myself am the victim, The investigation has never deviated from the prescribed methods, and has embraced with equal readiness all material whether favourable or otherwise.

No matter how much time is required, the investigation will be pursued until the truth is established and proved, for it is just as inconceivable that a stranger should claim to be the Princess, as that the Princess herself should be in such a distressing position. I must not omit to express my gratitude to the German Press for its help in much of my work, and would like to express the hope that in the future it will devote to the matter the same attention and accord the same unbiased treatment, and thus help me to ascertain the truth.

In conclusion, I wish to emphasize the fact that I regard it as my duty to carry my investigations to a conclusion, and that I shall spare myself no labour in my efforts to endure that truth triumphs in the end.
Everyone may rest assured that I shall be the first to admit it, if in the future evidence is produced that I have been mistaken, and that the patient is not the Princess. If, however, proof is forthcoming that I was right, and that she actually is the Princess, it will afford me an extraordinary moral satisfacton that I and all who have so devotedly helped me have fulfilled this duty to the end. This will be the greatest reward for all of us.

Sincerely yours,
Andrew.
  #748  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 797
As for Andrew withdrawing from the case, please see Peter Kurth page 277:

It was no secret that Kyril had recently ordered his brother, Grand Duke Andrew, to cease all activity in Anastasia's interest.
  #749  
Old 07-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 101
Chat has easily refuted many of your points but I am sure you will be pleased to know that I have a few comments!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
Also, as Klier and Mingay pointed out, it's very possible that the German staff, not knowing any or much of either language, mistook Polish for Russian..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
Who said that, and might they have mistaken Polish for Russian..
Amongst others - Dr Rudnev - who spent many years in Russian as a doctor. I think he could tell the difference. As could several nurses who spoke either Russian or Polish, as mentioned by Chat, by name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
It's a German and Polish accent.

That's not what the language experts said and I think I'll take their opinion over yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
Besides, AN didn't learn English from Gibbes, she learned it from her parents and her British nanny. She didn't start taking lessons with Gibbes until she was about 7, after already speaking English since babyhood. .
Actually Gibbes was recruited after Alexandra was told that her children spoke horrible English so they obviously didn't do a very good job in teaching their children that language, did they? Also, one's accent can indeed change after the age of seven. Mine did and I know plenty of other people whose accents changed after that age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
This was not because they didn't know English it was because they were speaking with Scottish dialect due to their nanny (from what I've read)
So according to you, their accent did change - at least from Scottish to something else! Incidentally, where did you read that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
The FACT is that AN DID NOT SPEAK OR USE GERMAN in her real life. Taking lessons does not = useable knowledge. Those who knew them said 'they knew no German' or 'German was never used in the family.' This does NOT men they didn't take lessons, this means they don't speak it functionally.
The girls had German lessons SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK according to their school books and timetables. Anastasia's schoolbooks also show that her written German work was actually BETTER than her Russian. Once in a German environment she would certainly have been able to converse. 'German was never used in the family.' is utterly pedantic - just because she didn't speak it on a day to day basis with Aunt Olga etc, does not mean she couldn't speak it if required. I am learning German - I don't speak it with my family but that doesn't mean I can't do so if necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
Massie's book and several other reliable sources state clearly FS was injured in the grenade factory, and suffered severe head injuries. .
WHICH other "reliable sources"? Please quote them so you can show us if we are wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
So you cannot provide the alleged records that supposedly say she wasn't hurt, I didn't think so, they don't exist..
You apparently can't produce sources showing she WAS hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
it was in the notes of Berenberg-Gossler and other anti-AA attorneys, but sadly most of those who write books about AA are more interested in supporting her claim rather than giving the other side, therefore such things go unpublicized. Massie used them as have other books. As Berenberg Gossler said, during the trials, the press was only interested in her side so the editors withdrew their reporters before the anti- aa side was told. This led directly to the lopsided documented 'evidence' we have today, meaning AA supporters can always put a page number to things and those against her claim cannot. BG was going to write it all in his memoirs but sadly passed away before he was finished. I hope someday someone will put them out for us to see..

Can you please give us sources? (ie Massie quotes medical report or eyewitnesses)
Also which papers withdrew their reporters? I have never seen anyone but you say this. If it is in Berenberg-Gossler's unpublished memoirs, how do you know - have you seen them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
Oh, the same nurse who lied about the date and then blamed it on the newspaper? I never heard of the other one. You drop a lot of names and assume everything they say is true but we'll never know enough about the person to know what really happened..
I've certainly heard of all these people. You should have too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
Quote - Fallows notes are at the Houghton Library
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
Oh that's real accessible for us!.
Harvard is much closer for you than most of us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
I believe, but don't have the records of course, this originally discovered by the investigation of the detective who identified AA as FS. They're also in the papers of Dr. Berenberg- Gosslerr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
II don't have the books handy because they were only from the library. I believe it was Massie's Final Chapter and Frances Welch's Romanov Fantasy.(the daughter stuff too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska;793856[I
In 1935, Fallows sunk so low as to appeal to Adolf Hitler for help in getting Anderson's claim recognized! He snuggled up to Hitler with terms such as "Honorable" and "Esteemed Sir" and used hateful anti-semitic remarks about the Bolsheviks who had killed "Anastasia's" family. It was all for nothing, as Fallows never heard back from Der Fuhrer.[/i]

If you don't have the books, then where did you get this quote come from ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
In addition to that, his inollvement in the AA charade was very suspect, having written to Sergei Botkin, uncle of Gleb and head of the Russian emigre' community in Berlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
The number of people who have been drawn into this work is very large, and among them such strict discipline is apparent as was never present in Russian circles.”(Kurth p.152) What did he mean by ‘discipline? Was this a ‘code of silence’ that those involved in the charade would never speak of it? What did it mean that he distinguished the group from ‘purely Russian circles’, that there were others involved who were not Russians? His words do prove at least by 1927, her network of 'helpers' was 'very large.' If even one of them were to give it away, the entire house cards would fall and everyone involved would go down, so it's not surprising they never gave themselves away.
If you had actually read Andrei's letters properly, you would know he was referring not to AA's supporters but to those who opposed her and his comments about non Russians obviously refers to the Duke of Hesse.
  #750  
Old 07-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Anna was Franziska's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrymansdaughter View Post
Chat has easily refuted many of your points but I am sure you will be pleased to know that I have a few comments!


If you accept his version, and the things the AA supporters claimed years ago which is where he got his info, Kurth's book based mostly on those things and has nothing from the 'other side.' He was clearly making a case for AA to be AN (though not nearly as blatant as Lovell!)


Quote:
Amongst others - Dr Rudnev - who spent many years in Russian as a doctor. I think he could tell the difference. As could several nurses who spoke either Russian or Polish, as mentioned by Chat, by name.
As I said above, if you believe the version relayed by AA supporters. I don't accept every single quote by every person as a 'fact.'

Quote:
That's not what the language experts said and I think I'll take their opinion over yours.
ONE you can't even name, and as we've seen from the ears and face 'experts' they are not always reliable or accurate. We know now they weren't since AA was not AN.

Quote:
Actually Gibbes was recruited after Alexandra was told that her children spoke horrible English so they obviously didn't do a very good job in teaching their children that language, did they? Also, one's accent can indeed change after the age of seven. Mine did and I know plenty of other people whose accents changed after that age.
Quote:

So according to you, their accent did change - at least from Scottish to something else! Incidentally, where did you read that?


Their English wasn't 'atrocious' as in they couldn't speak it, it was the dialect and properness of it. I'm sure most Brits think most Americans speak 'atrocious' English but this is not the same thing as a lack of knowledge of the language. If you want to hear really 'atrocious' English check out the tapes and videos of AA/FS and her massacre of it ("dirt I was living!")


Quote:
The girls had German lessons SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK according to their school books and timetables. Anastasia's schoolbooks also show that her written German work was actually BETTER than her Russian. Once in a German environment she would certainly have been able to converse. 'German was never used in the family.' is utterly pedantic - just because she didn't speak it on a day to day basis with Aunt Olga etc, does not mean she couldn't speak it if required. I am learning German - I don't speak it with my family but that doesn't mean I can't do so if necessary.
AA supporters really push this a bit too hard. I realize they are desperate to do so since those who knew AN well said she did NOT use German and you're trying to come up with excuses why she could have, but if you're going to go by quotes from eyewitnesses you have to accept theirs, too, even though they disagree with your perceived view.

Quote:
WHICH other "reliable sources"? Please quote them so you can show us if we are wrong.
Something you need to realize here- just because something is written down in Kurth's book and you can quote it doesn't make it a 'fact', it's just a piece of evidence for consideration like everything else.AA supporters smugly ask for 'sources' because they know there isn't much written down on the anti AA side (partly because, as Berenberg Gossler said, it was never recorded because the papers only wanted AA's side because it sold better, and partly because most rational people don't bother because they know the DNA speaks for itself) and they can always whip out Kurth's book and quote a page and this is supposed to be a 'fact' that trumps everything else, but it's already been defeated by the DNA.

Quote:
You apparently can't produce sources showing she WAS hurt.
Massie's book, Godl's site, and other books I no longer have handy. I have been reading on this subject for 32 years now, I see a lot, don't always have a page number handy. This plays right into the hands of AA supporters, because they can always whip out Kurth's book and think they can trump us with a 'real' 'source' but it's really just a collection of hearsay and parts of the story. I could also write a book and quote a page, but that wouldn't make you believe it.

Quote:
Can you please give us sources? (ie Massie quotes medical report or eyewitnesses)
Quote:
Also which papers withdrew their reporters? I have never seen anyone but you say this. If it is in Berenberg-Gossler's unpublished memoirs, how do you know - have you seen them?


Again, in his acknowledgements for "Final Chapter" he quotes that he used the unpublished works of Berenberg-Gossler among others. Since BG was an attorney in the AA case, apparently he had access and and records of things we don't see (and no AA supporter is ever going to put them in their book!)

Quote:
Harvard is much closer for you than most of us
It's a good thousand miles. Not everyone has the luxury of their days free and an unlimited supply of time and money for travel.I certainly don't. Sure Kurth is rich and can fly about the world at will but not me.

Quote:
If you don't have the books, then where did you get this quote come from ?
I had a copy of Final Chapter but like a few other books it disappeared in my last move (2005) I had a copies of it and Welch's books from my local library and went to get them but they are now checked out by somebody else (which is good so that person can find out AA is not AN!) I have also owned and checked out a lot of books over the years. Some are in libraries no longer near me. Others have been taken off the shelf as too old and put in book sales. I had the books with me at the time I wrote my site, and also I got help from other people who owned the books who emailed me the info.(and why am I even explaining myself and what good will it do?)


Quote:
If you had actually read Andrei's letters properly, you would know he was referring not to AA's supporters but to those who opposed her and his comments about non Russians obviously refers to the Duke of Hesse.
Obviously? That's not the way it was quoted in Klier's book.

In the end you can never trump the truth. History and science have spoken. The DNA tests proved AA was not AN and matched FS's family. Now the bones found last summer are proven to be the last two missing kids, whichever daughter it is, they are now all accounted for. So this means that all the quotes, hearsay,'testimony' etc. of all those pro AA witnesses were either wrong, lying or mistaken. AA was not AN, and never was in Russia and never knew anything AN would have known. That's the bottom line and the final chapter.
  #751  
Old 07-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 797
Quote:
If you accept his version, and the things the AA supporters claimed years ago which is where he got his info, Kurth's book based mostly on those things and has nothing from the 'other side.' He was clearly making a case for AA to be AN (though not nearly as blatant as Lovell!)
As far as I can see, Kurth's book is the most researched one on the market regarding this case. To say that he has "nothing from the other side" is pure fiction. He has the whole FS story (including all the things that don't measure up), the letters from Olga, Gilliard's statements (some of which were proven false), the oral and written statements from family members and people connected to the court. It is all there if you care to read it.


Quote:
As I said above, if you believe the version relayed by AA supporters. I don't accept every single quote by every person as a 'fact.'
Quote:

ONE you can't even name, and as we've seen from the ears and face 'experts' they are not always reliable or accurate. We know now they weren't since AA was not AN.
I don't think we have an official ruling on that yet.

Quote:
Their English wasn't 'atrocious' as in they couldn't speak it, it was the dialect and properness of it. I'm sure most Brits think most Americans speak 'atrocious' English but this is not the same thing as a lack of knowledge of the language. If you want to hear really 'atrocious' English check out the tapes and videos of AA/FS and her massacre of it ("dirt I was living!")


You never heard AA's English in the 20's, only after she had been staying in Germany for over 30 years. According to Xenia Leeds, "her English was good, but her grammar a bit rusty."


Quote:
AA supporters really push this a bit too hard. I realize they are desperate to do so since those who knew AN well said she did NOT use German and you're trying to come up with excuses why she could have, but if you're going to go by quotes from eyewitnesses you have to accept theirs, too, even though they disagree with your perceived view.


As I have already told you, I took German at school, but never used it at home. Still, I could speak almost fluent upon my first arrival in Germany. And my friends from Norway, who never use English at home, speak it freely here when they visit.


Quote:
Something you need to realize here- just because something is written down in Kurth's book and you can quote it doesn't make it a 'fact', it's just a piece of evidence for consideration like everything else.AA supporters smugly ask for 'sources' because they know there isn't much written down on the anti AA side (partly because, as Berenberg Gossler said, it was never recorded because the papers only wanted AA's side because it sold better, and partly because most rational people don't bother because they know the DNA speaks for itself) and they can always whip out Kurth's book and quote a page and this is supposed to be a 'fact' that trumps everything else, but it's already been defeated by the DNA


If you want something written down from the opposition, just check out Gilliard's book "La Fausse Anastasie". The only problem is, there are too many glaring lies in it.


Quote:
Massie's book, Godl's site, and other books I no longer have handy. I have been reading on this subject for 32 years now, I see a lot, don't always have a page number handy. This plays right into the hands of AA supporters, because they can always whip out Kurth's book and think they can trump us with a 'real' 'source' but it's really just a collection of hearsay and parts of the story. I could also write a book and quote a page, but that wouldn't make you believe it.


I still don't think you have understood what "hearsay" means. Look in Prince Christopher's book, it's full of it. And Kurth's book can be had today for a buck.



Quote:
Again, in his acknowledgements for "Final Chapter" he quotes that he used the unpublished works of Berenberg-Gossler among others. Since BG was an attorney in the AA case, apparently he had access and and records of things we don't see (and no AA supporter is ever going to put them in their book!)


If the records and "things" exist, I think we would have seen them a long time ago.

Quote:
I had a copy of Final Chapter but like a few other books it disappeared in my last move (2005) I had a copies of it and Welch's books from my local library and went to get them but they are now checked out by somebody else (which is good so that person can find out AA is not AN!) I have also owned and checked out a lot of books over the years. Some are in libraries no longer near me. Others have been taken off the shelf as too old and put in book sales. I had the books with me at the time I wrote my site, and also I got help from other people who owned the books who emailed me the info.(and why am I even explaining myself and what good will it do?)


It would do a lot of good if you could verify your sources.


Quote:
In the end you can never trump the truth. History and science have spoken. The DNA tests proved AA was not AN and matched FS's family. Now the bones found last summer are proven to be the last two missing kids, whichever daughter it is, they are now all accounted for. So this means that all the quotes, hearsay,'testimony' etc. of all those pro AA witnesses were either wrong, lying or mistaken. AA was not AN, and never was in Russia and never knew anything AN would have known. That's the bottom line and the final chapter.
Sorry, but the final chapter is still waiting to be written. Stay tuned.
  #752  
Old 07-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
Peter Kurth's finances are Peter Kurth's business.
In regards to his book as compared to James Blair Lovells', really please don't include them in the same category. Peter Kurth did a lot of extensive research on his. James Lovell had written a couple of chapters (the King Kong one and the one on the 6th child) that were false.
Massie agrees (In the Romanovs, the final chapter) that PK's work is superior to that of the Lovell work.
  #753  
Old 07-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Anna was Franziska's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 823
I DID say that Kurth's book is better than Lovell's! I have read and read thru Kurth's book many times, and while it is very full of research and information, it still leans toward AA's side and conveniently leaves out things that damage her case. When I went researching I was surprised how many things I found that I never knew before, because AA books are written by AA supporters.

among the things AA suporters don't want you to know and don't tell or emphasize in their versions of the story:

Irene's COMPLETE DENIAL STATEMENT of AA as AN
Sophie B.'s COMPLETE DENIAL STATEMENT of AA as AN
Harriet Rathlef being heavily involved in the Steiner movement and how this affected AA's backing
AA accusing Lord Mountbatten of poisoning Rathlef when she died of appendicitis
Gleb's uncle being the head of the Russian emigre' community in Berlin
The ENTIRE rude letter Gleb sent to Olga/Xenia
MANY QUOTES of COMPLETE DENIAL by Olga A. from her bio
Volkov's statement that those surrounding AA were 'suspect' and made excuses for her incorrect answers
the differing versions of AA's escape story
the fact that Zina Tolstoy originally ID'd AA as TATIANA and later switched to Anastasia when AA did
the fact that the children of Leuchtenberg and Von Kliest believed AA to be FS
the existence of a German book alleging Ernie's trip to Russia 3 years before AA 'dropped the bomb'
there being no real proof of FS's height other than guesses years later
that Dassel had met AA before the 'man with the pockets' 'shocker'
that AA was close with Gleb's sister 2 years before the 'funny animals' 'shocker'
that AA refused to go anywhere to meet anyone new without being accompanied by one of the Botkins
that Gleb had written a novel called "The Baron's Fancy" that seemed to tell out the AA story before it happened
that Berlin was impoverished and in political turmoil at the time of FS's disappearance, (there was a coup attempt on the gov't - joined by the Berlin police- in early March 1920) explaining why her case slipped through the cracks in the early days of the investigation

and many more


I agree that Welch's book does a poor job of making the case for FS, she seems to take it for granted everyone accepts that fact and all she needs to do is tell the story. I disagree, as we can see on these forums, the case does need to be made for FS because some do everything they can to get her out of the picture so AA can still be AN and the fun little mystery can go on, but really that's who AA was even if it's unpopular to some.
  #754  
Old 07-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
A lot of bio's tend to slant things one way or the other. It's up to the reader to keep an objective mind set.
  #755  
Old 07-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Anna was Franziska's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 823
In the case of an ordinary bio, is this person nice or not, that's one thing, but the AA case was also a historical drama and a court case involving many others. The funny (well not funny) thing is, when I first made my website I was blasted by AA supporters for it being one sided. I admit it is, but the reason is to try to balance out that just about every other AA book and website is slanted her way. I also figured since everyone knew the classic AA story and its details and I wanted to show things that weren't so commonly known (and yes make a much needed case against her claim)
  #756  
Old 07-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Anna was Franziska's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 823
Since Chat mentioned Gilliard's Le Fausse Anastasie I will post some passages from it that were translated by a friend and former AA supporter (I won't mention his name or screen name until I get his permission) for your consideration:

Baroness Buxhoeveden's visit

The Baroness Buxhoeveden was without interruption in the service to the Russian Imperial family, as a maid of honor, from 1913 to 1918, but ever since 1904 she had long stays at the court. She therefore knew the Grand Duchesses since their childhood and had seen them daily for years. She rejoined the Imperial family in Siberia and was separated from them six weeks before the catastrophe.

Here is the narrative of her visit:

"March 12, I left for the hospital, accompanied by Mrs Tolstoii, my father the Baron Charles Buxhoeveden, the lieutenant Adriieevski and Mr. Schwabe (along with Ms. Peuthert.) Although it was very early, - it was 8 in the morning,- the director of the hospital seemed to have been warned of our visit, and a nurse took us into the women's common room where the patient was located. She was in bed close to the wall, she was turned facing against the window, in full sunlight. When she heard us enter the room, she hid herself under the cover to hide herself from our stares, and we were not able to get her to show us her face. The nurse and Mrs. Tolstoii told me that she always acted in this manner when someone wanted to she her, but the nurse added that the patient had a habit of acting in this manner with an older woman, Miss Peuthert, a former patient of the hospital and who apparently had the unknown one's confidence, and who was also present when I arrived.

The unknown one spoke German with Miss Peuthert. Although she was permitted to get up, she prefered to stay in bed as long as possible. This is how I found her. She was in a night shirt and a white morning coat, her hair was pulled away from the forehead and pulled back, and was arranged simply. After asking my companions to move away from the bed a little, I tried to attract the young woman's attention as I caressed her hair and speaking to her in English while using the types of phrases I would have used while speaking with the Grand Duchesses, but I did not refer to her by any name other than 'Darling'. She did not reply and I saw that she did not understand a word of what I had said, (
proof AA didn't then know English) for when she raised the cover after a certain period of time, and I saw her face, there was nothing in her eyes which showed she had recognized me. The eyes and forehead showed some resemblance to the Grand Duchess Tatiana Nicolaievna, resemblance that disappeared, nevertheless, as soon as her face was not covered. I had to remove the cover by force, and I saw that neither the nose, the mouth, nor the chin were formed like that of the Grand Duchess. The hair was lighter in color, some of her teeth were missing-and the remaining ones were not like those of the Grand Duchess, whose teeth were arranged like those of her Majesty the Empress Alexandra Feodorovna, that is to say that the superior teeth were slightly inclined inwards. The teeth of this young woman on the contrary were all right. Her hands were also completely different, the fingers were longer and the nails narrower. I wanted to measure her height, but she refused, and I found it impossible to get an exact measurement without force. We judged roughly that in any case, she was smaller than me, while the Grand Duchess Tatiana was more than ten centimeters taller than me. I have been able to verify this, thanks to the patient's official measurement at the time of her arrival at the hospital and that corresponded exactly with the one which was taken in my presence.

I tried to awaken the memory of the young woman by all the possible means; I showed to her an 'icon', with the date of the Romanov jubilee, that the emperor had given to some persons of the suite, after that a ring that had belonged to the empress; the latter had been given given to her in the presence of the Grand Duchess Tatiana. But none of these things seemed not to evoke in her the slightest recognition. She remained completely indifferent, she whispered some incomprehensible words into Ms. Peuthert's ear. Although I noted a certain similarity in the upper part of the face with the unknown -currently Mrs. Tschaikovski- with the Grand Duchess Tatiana, I am sure that she is not her. I later learned that the she supposes that she is the Grand Duchess Anastasia, but she does not physically resemble her in the least. She has none of the special characteristics that would allow any one who knew the Grand Duchess Anastasia well to identify her.

When Ms. Peuthert saw that the unknown one remained completely mute and did not show that she recognized me, she tried to attract her attention by whispering some words into her ear in German and showing photographs of the Imperial family to her. She pointed to the Empress, while saying: 'Tell me, isn't that mamma?' (Or similar words). In the end she put into her hands a copy of a Russian New Testament with ribbons of the Russian national colors. All these attempts failed, the patient remained mute and strove to hide her face with her cover or her hands. I must point out that the Grand Duchess Anastasia hardly knew any German words and that she pronounced them with a strong Russian accent."]

(
again we have first hand witness to AN's disfunction in German)
  #757  
Old 07-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 797
Quote:
I DID say that Kurth's book is better than Lovell's! I have read and read thru Kurth's book many times, and while it is very full of research and information, it still leans toward AA's side and conveniently leaves out things that damage her case. When I went researching I was surprised how many things I found that I never knew before, because AA books are written by AA supporters.

among the things AA suporters don't want you to know and don't tell or emphasize in their versions of the story:

Irene's COMPLETE DENIAL STATEMENT of AA as AN
From Kurth's book: "We had lived earlier in such intimacy," Irene declared, "that it would have sufficed had she given me the least sign, or had made an unconscious movement to awaken in me a feeling of kinship and to convince me." "I could not have made a mistake."

Quote:
Sophie B.'s COMPLETE DENIAL STATEMENT of AA as AN
From Kurth's book: The Baroness left the room. Outside, said Schwabe, she "confirmed again that it was not the Grand Duchess, but she added that there was some resemblance."

Quote:
Harriet Rathlef being heavily involved in the Steiner movement and how this affected AA's backing
I fail to understand how this had anything to do with the AA case.

Quote:
Gleb's uncle being the head of the Russian emigre' community in Berlin
From Kurth's book: As president of the Berlin Russian Refugee Office Botkin was the official spokesman for the emigre colony.....

Quote:
The ENTIRE rude letter Gleb sent to Olga/Xenia
The letter was not sent to any of them, but published in the press. The entire letter is printed in Kurth's book, pages 230-231.

Quote:
MANY QUOTES of COMPLETE DENIAL by Olga A. from her bio
From Kurth's book:
"All of us who were in Berlin in those days," Olga wrote, "could find no resemblance to Anastasia apart from the similarity of the feet." Before granting Andrew the permission to investigate the affair, however, Olga added frankly: "You think I may be wrong. Such mistakes can of course happen. One way or the other it is ghastly."
(In 1964 Grand Duchess Olga's biographer, Ian Vorres, pieced together her rather scattered recollections to form a narrative: Vorres, 173-180. It contributes nothing new to the story and, in its tone and lucidity, bears small resemblance to Olga's formal testimony at Toronto (March 23-24, 1959, Hamburg).

Quote:
Volkov's statement that those surrounding AA were 'suspect' and made excuses for her incorrect answers
I would like to know where this statement comes from. In the meantime, a footnote from Kurth's book: Dr. Ludwig Berg, the chaplain at St. Mary's, took the trouble to confirm explicitly Frau von Rathlef's account to the meetings with Alexis Volkov.

Quote:
the differing versions of AA's escape story
There is only one version, found in Harriet von Rathlef Keilmann's book.

Quote:
the fact that Zina Tolstoy originally ID'd AA as TATIANA and later switched to Anastasia when AA did
From Kurth's book: Everyone looked at her very intently and came to the conclusion that she was indeed Grand Duchess Tatiana.

Quote:
the fact that the children of Leuchtenberg and Von Kliest believed AA to be FS
From Kurth's book: Duchess Natalie, the eldest, had quickly convinced herself of Anastasia's authenticity and leaped to her defense at any provocation. Duke Dmitri, however, and whis wife, Duchess Catherine, remained skeptical, even hostile, and eventually disowned Anastasia altogether.
In reality the Kleist family, like the Leuchenberg family and many others, was still deeply divided over the issue of Anastasia's identity. One of the sisters, Irina - who Gerda kept insisting was dead - now lived in East Berlin, where she was active in the theatre, and kept fond and "favorable" memories of Anastasia.

Quote:
the existence of a German book alleging Ernie's trip to Russia 3 years before AA 'dropped the bomb'
I am afraid this book was too obscure for anybody to "discover". Besides, you have already read my post about the rumors in the Entente press.

Quote:
there being no real proof of FS's height other than guesses years later
And where does Kurth try to prove it?

Quote:
that Dassel had met AA before the 'man with the pockets' 'shocker'
From Kurth's book: no one was able to contradict Gerda's testimony, not even when she declared that Felix Dassel, Anastasia's star witness, had already met her once at the Kleists' apartment in Berlin, several years before the supposedly revelatory meetings at Castle Seeon. Dassel had heard this charge before and had denied it.
Gerda von Kleist was asked to take the oath before she stepped down. She declined.

Quote:
that AA was close with Gleb's sister 2 years before the 'funny animals' 'shocker'
Kurth describes the meeting with "Tanya" in great details. Gleb told the Leuchtenbergs that AA probably got the information about the drawings from his sister, but they all denied any talk about the caricatures.

Quote:
that AA refused to go anywhere to meet anyone new without being accompanied by one of the Botkins
This is sheer nonsense. The only time "Tanya" was called in, was when she went with AA to Scloss Seeon.
Gleb was called in for the new meeting with the Schanzkowski family. And that was all, duly covered in Kurth's book.

Quote:
that Gleb had written a novel called "The Baron's Fancy" that seemed to tell out the AA story before it happened
Could you please provide me with the date of publication?

Quote:
that Berlin was impoverished and in political turmoil at the time of FS's disappearance, (there was a coup attempt on the Weimar gov't which was joined by the police in early March 1920) explaining why her case slipped through the cracks in the early days of the investigation
What do you mean "slipped through the cracks?"

Quote:
I could go on, but those are good for now.
I think you better go on.....

Quote:
I agree that Welch's book does a poor job of making the case for FS, she seems to take it for granted everyone accepts that fact and all she needs to do is tell the story. I disagree, as we can see on these forums, the case does need to be made for FS because some do everything they can to get her out of the picture so AA can still be AN and the fun little mystery can go on, but really that's who AA was even if it's unpopular to some.
And as I have proven to you, all you need is in Kurth's book. Like it or not.
  #758  
Old 07-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 797
Isn't it funny that when Buxhoeveden states that AA's eyes looked like Tatiana's, nobody raises an eyebrow. When Zinaida Tolstoy does the same thing, it clearly shows how little she knew.
Curious and curiouser.
  #759  
Old 07-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 797
Quote:
I must point out that the Grand Duchess Anastasia hardly knew any German words and that she pronounced them with a strong Russian accent."]
Quote:

(again we have first hand witness to AN's disfunction in German)
I think that is the point I have tried to get across many times: AA spoke a hopelessly muddled German with a heavy Russian accent, Franziska spoke, as a native, good German.
  #760  
Old 07-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna was Franziska View Post
In the case of an ordinary bio, is this person nice or not, that's one thing, but the AA case was also a historical drama and a court case involving many others. The funny (well not funny) thing is, when I first made my website I was blasted by AA supporters for it being one sided. I admit it is. . .
Well at least you admit it. This isn't an easy subject by any means.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
anastasia, anna anderson, dr berenberg-gossler, ekaterinburg, franziska schanzkowska, grand duchess anastasia, pierre gilliard, prince michael romanov


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grand Duke Henri & Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Current Events 5 (June 2006-Mar 2008) Danielle Current Events Archive 203 03-04-2008 12:55 AM
Grand Duke Henri & Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Current Events 4 (February-June 2006) Alexandria Current Events Archive 196 06-04-2006 03:14 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll germany grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week poland state visit to norway prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess mary style queen juliana queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania in oslo royal fashion september 2016 spencers state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises