A potential bride for The Grand Duke Georgi

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are they, by the way???

They are (only some of them, actually more):

Carl, Duke of Württemberg and his elder son
Max, Markgrave of Baden and his brother
Georg Friedrich, Prince of Prussia (many of Prussians now marry equally)
Anton-Gunter, Duke of Oldenburg and his son and brother
Prince Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein and his elder son Alois
Christoph, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein
Ernst August, Pr of Hannover
Archduke Georg of Austria, Otto's son (many of Habsburgs now marry equally)
Pr Ferdinand zur Lippe-Weißenfeld

...there may be 5 Catholic reigning houses in Europe, but only Belgium and Spain are monarchies.
All five are monarchies: two Kingdoms, one Grand Duchy and two Principalities.

branchq said:
With the exception of the Prussian Royal House, none of today's heirs or pretenders have married equally.
Not forgetting Alois, the Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein, who married HRH Princess Sophie of Bavaria, Duchess in Bavaria.

Very incorrect statement. There are many reigning catholic monarchies in Europe that has brides and very many non-reigning but still royal catholic houses that can provide a bride: Portugal, France, Two Sicilies, Austria, Bavaria, Wurtemberg, Italy, Saxony, Hohenzollern, Baden, Saxe-Coburg (younger line) and many others

Also, there are plenty of Catholic Princesses in Brazil.

- HRH Princess Amélia of Brazil (b. 1984), fifth in the Line of Succession to the Throne.

- HRH Princess Maria Gabriela of Brazil (b. 1989), sixth in the Line of Succession.

- HRH Princess Maria de Fátima of Orleans-Braganza (b. 1988).

- HRH Princess Maria Manuela of Orleans-Braganza (b. 1989).

- HRH Princess Maria da Glória of Orleans-Braganza (b. 1982).

- HRH Princess Luiza Carolina of Orleans-Braganza (b. 1984).

- HRH Princess Maria Eleonora of Orleans-Braganza (b. 1984).

- HRH Princess Maria Tereza of Orleans-Braganza (b. 1984).

- HRH Princess Maria Beatriz of Orleans-Braganza (b. 1990).

- HRH Princess Gabrielle of Orleans-Braganza (b. 1989).

There are all non-starters, as they may be Catholic, they made hold titles by the kindness of their governments, but they have no real standing in the real world, except for Lichtenstein, Belgium, Spain and Luxembourg. Whom would you recommend from the existing monarchies?

There are all non-starters, as they may be Catholic, they made hold titles by the kindness of their governments, but they have no real standing in the real world.

Last time I checked, marriages were based on love, not on "real standing in the real world."

Oh, you are quite right. I have no argument for that. It was you and the "equal marriages" stuff, that through me. All these young people deserve loving spouses. The day of arranged marriages for treaty purposes, are long gone. It doesn't matter whether they have honorary titles or not, they should find partners who love and cherish them for whom they are.

Wouldn't Lady Gabriella have to be willing to convert to the Orthodox religion? While her mother is Roman Catholic, she's of the Anglican faith.

Last edited:
A joke. She would run. She is a lovely, independent woman and, I do not believe, interest in becoming a bride to a man she is not suited to, and is pledge to a non-existent throne. They both deserve people who can make them happy.

Sorry, my bad for engaging fingers before brain; I meant Orthodoxy.

Oh, you are quite right. I have no argument for that. It was you and the "equal marriages" stuff, that through me. All these young people deserve loving spouses. The day of arranged marriages for treaty purposes, are long gone. It doesn't matter whether they have honorary titles or not, they should find partners who love and cherish them for whom they are.
You are the only one here talking about arranged marriage. Many Royal couples had proved that you can marry equally and for love at the same time.

- Prince Pedro Henrique of Brazil and Princess Maria Elizabeth of Bavaria.

- King Michael of Romania and Princess Anne of Bourbon-Parme.

- Archduke Carl Christian of Austria and Princess Marie Astrid of Luxembourg.

- Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Este and Princess Astrid of Belgium.

- Prince Antônio of Brazil and Princess Cristina of Ligne.

- Prince Michel of Ligne and Princess Eleonora of Brazil.

And I can give many other examples.

What do you think about lady Gabriella as potential bride? :)
In my opinion, if King Michael give the title of Princess of Romania and the style of Royal Highness to his granddaughter Karina (sister of Prince Nicholas), she'll be one of the most suitable brides for Grand Duke George.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, if King Michael give the title of Princess of Romania and the style of Royal Highness to his granddaughter Karina (sister of Prince Nicholas), she'll be one of the most suitable brides for Grand Duke George.

Unfortunately he has not done that yet and likely will not anytime soon. Her brother was a a we all know but she was not :(

Unfortunately he has not done that yet and likely will not anytime soon. Her brother was a a we all know but she was not :(

I believe King Michael would give titles to her if she and Grand Duke George decide to marry.

Before you rush them to the altar and start throwing titles around, have these 2 even met let alone started a relationship?

Before you rush them to the altar and start throwing titles around, have these 2 even met let alone started a relationship?

Why is that part necessary? /sarcasm

I believe King Michael would give titles to her if she and Grand Duke George decide to marry.

Okay, with that in mind, would George be llowed to "chase" her of she was not officially a princess?

Who from your other great list is George chasing? And, how would they feel about him. And, you, included know nothing about him.

They are (only some of them, actually more):

Carl, Duke of Württemberg and his elder son
Max, Markgrave of Baden and his brother
Georg Friedrich, Prince of Prussia (many of Prussians now marry equally)
Anton-Gunter, Duke of Oldenburg and his son and brother
Prince Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein and his elder son Alois
Christoph, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein
Ernst August, Pr of Hannover
Archduke Georg of Austria, Otto's son (many of Habsburgs now marry equally)
Pr Ferdinand zur Lippe-Weißenfeld

Carl and his wife Princess Diana's (Orleans) children, of their 6 kids, four married titles. Their heir married a Princess of Wied, their two daughters married Counts, and their fourth son Philipp married Maria Carolina of Bavaria (the younger sister of Duchess Sophia, Hereditary Princess of Lichtenstein). Only two sons married commoners.

others:
Alexander, Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe- married a commoner secondly but his first wife and mother of his heir was Princess Marie Luise of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg

Stephan, Hereditary prince of Lippe- his wife is the daughter of Princess Madeleine of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and is a Countess

Then there is Queen Marg's family. Benedicte's eldest daughter Alexandra is married to a count. Benedicte's sister in law Tatiana born a princess of Sayne-wittgenstein-berleburg was married to the Landgrave of Hesse. Her son is now Landgrave, and married to a countess.

If Gustav was to marry Carina, the heir would then be Bernhard Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein, and he is married to a Countess.

Ernst August's sister Princess Alexandra wed the 8th prince of Lenningen.

EA's brother Ludwig was married to a Countess. He committed suicide after finding her dead from a drug overdose. He asked EA to raise his 10 month old son, hours before he shot himself.

Alexandra's brother in law has been married three times. He gave up his place in succession to Alex's husband Andreas, when he married his second wife. His first wife was a princess, and his third was a countess.

Prince Manuel of Bavaria is married to Princess Anna of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg

Gui is married to Stef who is a Countess

I'm confused by this post! These are not potential brides for hereditary grand duke George.

Last edited by a moderator:

"A potential bride for The Grand Duke Georgi"

The purpose of this thread is to discuss which Royal ladies, are suitable to marry the Grand Duke, if they know each other is irrelevant for the discussion.

Your argument is pointless.

The truth is, none of these ladies would marry, him, I believe and they have never eve4n met each other. Today that is a criteria. This is not the 16th century.

The truth is, none of these ladies would marry, him.

Wow, we have a fortune teller among us. Can you also predict Baby Cambridge's gender? Will the Queen celebrate her Platinum Jubilee in 2022??

No one can predict anything. So, it is todays world and a poor leftover from a Russian Empire than hasn't existed in over 100 years is not a draw. These ladies are modern and are looking forward to a real future. Countesses and princes are not equal. Not that that matters. Non-existent monarchies are hardly that interesting.

No one can predict anything. So, it is todays world and a poor leftover from a Russian Empire than hasn't existed in over 100 years is not a draw. These ladies are modern and are looking forward to a real future. Countesses and princes are not equal. Not that that matters. Non-existent monarchies are hardly that interesting.

And Georgi isn't modern or looking forward to a real future?

Individuals from deposed monarchies seem to have a pretty good understanding of the fact that they're of a deposed family and don't typically have any legal standing in their respective countries. That doesn't mean that trying to campaign for the restoration of the monarchy, or continuing on maintaining a legacy of the monarchy is preventing them from living in the real world or not being modern individuals.

Georgi is, from what I've seen, as much as a modern man as any of his perspective brides are modern women. Unfortunately, he lives in a family that does hope for an eventual restoration - a restoration that is not impossible (which is unlike some other deposed houses), even if it may at times seem unlikely. Because of this, and the fact that his family has to continue it's (albeit out of date) marriage and succession rules owing to the fact that they are deposed and need to maintain whatever legitimacy they can, Georgi's marriage options are rather limited.

At the same time, the women being suggested are of a similar royal class. Often they too are of deposed houses and are likely to have been brought up with similar understandings of the kind of man that they're expected to marry - a man like Georgi. Some of them - the Yorks, Charlotte Casiraghi - may be in a better position than others and may not have to feel as though they have to marry equally. But a good chunk of them likely do feel that way.

Except for Spain, Sophie and Juan Carlos, and that is a disaster and Philip and Elizabeth, which worked out well, all the existing monarchies have married whom they want, no criteria for equal marriage and mostly do well. Their children have a plethora of wives and husbands that have nothing "royal" about them. And, they are well accepted. Georgi should marry whom he wishes and live a good life, not trying to fulfill his mother's dreams. He seems to be a nice man, has a real job and he should have a real life.

Elizabeth and Philip chose to marry each other. That the marriage was also dynastic was simply an added bonus - British royals have not had arranged marriages since the children of Edward VII. The closest to an arranged marriage that we've seen in the BRF in the 20th century is Charles and Diana.

No one here is talking about an arranged marriage. Dynastic marriages can be love matches as well, as Elizabeth and Philip have shown.

Oh, absolutely. Of course, anyone can meet and "fall in love". This is not what the discussion here has been. It is finding a "suitable" bride, for a man who can do his own looking, if he cares to, and the only, really, suitable part is that he cares for that person and she cares for him, not her family connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom