A potential bride for The Grand Duke Georgi

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Maria will probably have no choice but to amend the equal marriage requirement. It is difficult to imagine that Georgi would be able to find a princess from a ruling or royal house to marry, given his limited exposure to the available royals and his lack of money.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what his relation is to the late Czar Nicholas II a and Alexandra is?
He is a descendant of Nicholas II's cousin Gr Duke Kirill of Russia

Do you think Princess Amélia of Brazil (b. 1984) would be a suitable bride for Grand Duke George? http://forumbrasilimperial.forumeiros.com/t44-sar-a-princesa-dona-amelia-do-brasil-1984
Yes, it is a question that must be cleared. Since the time of Peter I the Great when Romanovs began to make marriages with European (mostly German) royal houses, the brides they chose were all from protestant mostly (sometimes orthodox) families. Was it due to some religious controversy or some political reason or due to converting from protestantism to orthodoxy was easier than that of from catholicism to orthodoxy - but that was the case. Although we must remember that when Emperor Alexander III was looking for a bride for future Nicholas II he intended to marry Nicky to a French Orleans princess despite she was catholic. (Of course it was assumed her further converting to orthodoxy). All historicans say that Emperor's choice was influenced by strong political union between Russia and France at that time, they were allies. And yes, we all know that this idea didn't come to reality - Nicholas fell in love with Pss Alix of Hesse and the Rhine.

But nevertheless, marrying Russian crownprince to a catholic princess is not a fantastic matter. Anyway it would be marvellous if Brazil and Russia would have been tied in such a great way :)

I think Maria will probably have no choice but to amend the equal marriage requirement.
HIM Empress Maria I of All the Russias said recently in an interview that it would be possible in future that Gr Duke Georgi will marry a Russian girl (obviously non-royal and not noble) - but for this a change of marriage rules of the family and Blessing from Russian Orthodox Church are required.

As for me, I think that Maria will do her best so that to find a bride from royal, even non-reigning family. (My suggestion is that she could be Pss Leonie of Saxe-Weimar or Pss Aglae of Baden)

Last edited by a moderator:
But nevertheless, marrying Russian crownprince to a catholic princess is not a fantastic matter. Anyway it would be marvellous if Brazil and Russia would have been tied in such a great way :)

Well, I don't think it's a good thing to do, Princess Amélia's second cousin once removed, Princess Maria da Glória of Orleans-Braganza, married Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia, and they divorced citing religious and cultural differences.

The Brazilian Imperial Family has been keeping the tradition of marry with Catholic Royal/Imperial/Princely houses, I don't think a Orthodox Prince is an option for Princess Amélia, or for her sister, Princess Maria Gabriela.

Also, Princess Amélia's children will have to have Brazilian citizenship, in order to be in the Line of Succession to the Brazilian Throne.

This thread has been cleaned up & is reopened. Several posts have been removed.

Last edited:
Could they have dual citizenship? One would assume that they could in today's age, so theoretically speaking, if things happened to work out and they fell in love and got married... Could the children be Brazilian and Russian citizens? Or, would this still to be in accordance to family law?

What about one of the York princesses? I believe that it would be a good match between either Beatrice or Eugenie. They might be willing to convert to the Orthodox faith before marriage (as required) and live in Russia or Spain.

Russian Imperial laws require that the Heir to the Throne's wife to be converted to Orthodoxy. And it would be doubtedly permitted by Brazilian side...
Although - matter of citizenship is easier - Russian legislation allows their citizens to bear simultaneously citizenship of other countries :flowers:

I agree about Brazilian princesses. But still there is a chance to arrange a marraige with some other Catholic princess.. And surely protestant or orthodox princess would be the best choice

I am pretty certain that Beatrice is off the table as she is pretty serious ad locked into a long relationship with American boyfriend Dave Clark -they seem happy, so I don't think she would be interested. As for Eugenie, I am not sure what she is up to in the relationship department, or would even be up to it -but good possible bride!

Interesting that she could become a dual citizen, but for dynastic reasons, the religion barrier could not be overlooked to allow a dynastic marriage.

These dynastic laws seem to be getting so much more harder today -I personally am not sure it has to do with commoner marriages either, being that his/her potential bride/groom could be the child of a commoner mother a royal father, or am I missing the point here?

What about Georgi marrying a common girl who is Russian orthodox? Would it be accepted as long as his mother and the church was okay with it? I am fairly certain other members of the family may not, but I am more interested in the stance of the church and his mother.

Was it easy for her I find a groom?

This is all so fun and interesting!

The equal marriage requirement is silly in today's world and all of the reigning European houses have long dispensed with it. With the exception of the Prussian Royal House, none of today's heirs or pretenders have married equally.

Maria is intelligent enough to realize times have changed and I would think she will certainly change the Laws if Georgi finds a decent girl to marry. But the religious requirement will not change as the Church and the Imperial House have long been intertwined.

I asked a friend of mine, who is a fellow Monarchist and a lawyer.

He said that someone who is in the Line of Succession to the Brazilian Throne can hold dual citizenship, but, if this person becomes the Head of the Imperial House (or even the Emperor or Empress of Brazil) he or she would have to renounce the other citizenship, staying only as a Brazilian.

But a Brazilian Dynast must be a Roman Catholic, so, marriage with a Russian heir is out of question.

Last edited:
As you have "cleaned" up this thread, what makes anyone think that a non-existent throne in Brazil, would marry a non-existent throne in Russia. Two nice people, assuredly. The other stuff is junk. Branchg is on the mark when she cites the silliness of "equal" marriage. To what?

As you have "cleaned" up this thread, what makes anyone think that a non-existent throne in Brazil, would marry a non-existent throne in Russia. Two nice people, assuredly. The other stuff is junk. Branchg is on the mark when she cites the silliness of "equal" marriage. To what?

To preserve their traditions. The Families had their Thrones taken away from them, but they are still representing their Nations.

What is common between Grand Duke Georgi and Princess Amelia besides their social status? It would be safe to assume that Grand Duke Georgi has already met some noble women residing in Europe. So far he chooses to remain single. It is also possible that he dates a woman we have never heard of. I highly doubt that Princess Amelia would close her eyes and think about the traditions. Perhaps she can find a better spouse for herself.

Last edited:
I highly doubt that Princess Amelia would close her eyes and think about the traditions. Perhaps she can find a better spouse for herself.

In fact, Princess Amélia and her siblings, Prince Rafael and Princess Maria Gabriela, have stated they will marry equally.

I don't think she'll marry Grand Duke George. But she'll certainly marry some Prince from a European Catholic Royal or Princely House.

If they have money, perhaps, otherwise, why do you think they have the choice. There are few real monarchies left. Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain are the only Catholic Monarchies and there is no one there for her to marry. The rest of the titles exist because of the kindness of the nation or the imagination of the bearer.

If they have money, perhaps, otherwise, why do you think they have the choice.There are few real monarchies left. Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain are the only Catholic Monarchies and there is no one there for her to marry.

Very, very inaccurate. There are five Catholic Houses reigning in Europe: Spain, Belgium, Monaco, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein. And in many of those Houses there are young and single Princes who can marry a beautiful young woman like Princess Amélia.

You can check it using the Gotha Online: An Online Gotha

The rest of the titles exist because of the kindness of the nation or the imagination of the bearer.

Princess Amélia, and any other Brazilian Dynast can marry anyone from a former- reigning Houses.

For the Royals, once you are a Royal, you are always a Royal.

And those former-reigning Houses are still very attached with their countries and peoples. Perhaps that's alway the Governments in Portugal, Romania, Brazil, Serbia and many other countries are always asking their Royals to represent the country.

Again, Countess, you have to research better.

You are so eager to say nasty things about the Royals you know nothing about that you always end up saying inaccurate and stupid things.

In fact, Princess Amélia and her siblings, Prince Rafael and Princess Maria Gabriela, have stated they will marry equally.
I don't think she'll marry Grand Duke George. But she'll certainly marry some Prince from a European Catholic Royal or Princely House.
It is great that Princess Amelia has made a decision to marry equally. It remains to be seen whether or not she will succeed in it. Harsh prose of life may force her to change her decision.
You seem very partial to Princess Amelia. She seems like a usual Princess without a throne. I am sure that some royal or noble houses might be interested in her.

Last edited:
I wonder who he will marry. His future in the area of a Romanov Heir is questionable. After all, Juan Carlos was part of a dethroned family and then became King while his wife's family was dethroned in disgrace.

You are so eager to say nasty things about the Royals you know nothing about that you always end up saying inaccurate and stupid things.

I assume you have no intention of entering into the Brazilian diplomatic corps!!! Respect is a two way street. People are allowed to express opinions that may disagree with yours without expecting to be personally attacked.

I would like to say there may be 5 Catholic reigning houses in Europe, but only Belgium and Spain are monarchies. Liechtenstein and Monaco are principalities and Luxembourg is a Grand Duchy. So, I would assume those 3 latter places have their own rules about whom their princes may marry.

I would like to say there may be 5 Catholic reigning houses in Europe, but only Belgium and Spain are monarchies. Liechtenstein and Monaco are principalities and Luxembourg is a Grand Duchy. So, I would assume those 3 latter places have their own rules about whom their princes may marry.

Yes, but those catholic brides would have to convert to marry the Grand Duke.

I wonder what life with him would be like. I wonder if his mother would insist on living with them and presiding over the household, relegating the wife to a secondary position of importance and precedence.

I wondered that as well. I suspect it would take a strong willed woman to stand up to mother in law Maria. It would probably be easier if she had her own fortune, and of course even easier if she was a born princess and Orthodox and maybe a good amount of Russian bloodline too.

I still say, what difference does it make. Nice man, has a job, so he may a a nice future. Other than that and whatever it takes to ride on a subway, I don't know the price, he has very little to offer, unless you are very wealthy and want to buy a title. Then you might find far more appealing people.

Russian, rich and a princess in her own right? May not be so easy to find.

Russian and royal, he could look to the other branches of the Romanoff family, not sure if any are rich. The other contender to the throne has three daughters but they are all married and a granddaughter is divorced and in a relationship. There are a number of princes who married morgantically, but their children have titles in some cases, and royal blood. There is the Duke of Holstein-Gotorp (product of several generations of morganatic marriages but his grandfather was a first cousin of the Nicholas II I believe) who has a few daughters who seem to be the right age.

I wonder what life with him would be like. I wonder if his mother would insist on living with them and presiding over the household, relegating the wife to a secondary position of importance and precedence.

George lives and works in Switzerland, Maria Vladimirovna lives in Madrid.

If they have money, perhaps, otherwise, why do you think they have the choice. There are few real monarchies left. Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain are the only Catholic Monarchies and there is no one there for her to marry. The rest of the titles exist because of the kindness of the nation or the imagination of the bearer.

Very incorrect statement. There are many reigning catholic monarchies in Europe that has brides and very many non-reigning but still royal catholic houses that can provide a bride: Portugal, France, Two Sicilies, Austria, Bavaria, Wurtemberg, Italy, Saxony, Hohenzollern, Baden, Saxe-Coburg (younger line) and many others

The equal marriage requirement is silly in today's world and all of the reigning European houses have long dispensed with it. With the exception of the Prussian Royal House, none of today's heirs or pretenders have married equally.
With the exception of the Prussian Royal House, none of today's heirs or pretenders have married equally.

It is incorrect - VERY MANY mambers of Non-reigning german royal or princely houses STILL marry equally!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom