A potential bride for The Grand Duke Georgi

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder who the very lucky girl will be. He might be domineered by his mother, but as a result he has little baggage, looks like a nice young man, and it looks like he understands self restraint and caution. As a Prince, that is a rare quality. He seems promising and very gentle and ready to have a lot of love to give.

Either way, he's a Prince and that's not something to look down on.

A prince of what? There are alot of eligible guys out there. He does seem nice. That isn't enough.

I think he's in a position where the right bride would either make him or break him, I am sure of that much.

I think any woman that Georgi marries will come under very close inspection from his mother. Whomever he marries will have to accept the fact that's he's very close to his mother and she's part of the picture. Getting along with Grand Duchess Maria will be part of the package.

She strikes me as a very strong willed woman whose looking out for her son's interests and protecting his interests. .

Exactly. There is no way that Maria will be pushed out; even if there isn't a throne, just as a mother, she will have an interest in making sure her son doesn't marry someone who makes his life miserable and someone who doesn't exploit him.

A woman who has a similiar personality would not get along with her but would clash and would not be wife material. A woman whose very laid back, easy going and who doesn't care to take a leadership role would probably be the most suitable wife for Georgi personality wise

Which is why I think Georgi will need a wife with the humility of the Virgin Mary.

I'm guessing that Maria has thoroughly researched every possibility of a bride of Royal background who may suit, with the idea that conversion to Orthodoxy would merely be a formality for a propertly motivated bride. I'm also guessing that she has a list of candidates firmly embedded in her mind. I would not be surprised in the least if she used her attendance at the Prussian wedding to conduct some surveillance to add to that list, or possibly eliminate candidates from it.

She's devoted her life to her son and his "position." I sincerely doubt she would leave this extraordinarily important event to chance.

GD Maria Vladimirovna could think about the daughters of Princess Gloria Von Thurn -Taxis,they are noble and rich.

GD Maria Vladimirovna could think about the daughters of Princess Gloria Von Thurn -Taxis,they are noble and rich.
They are devoted catholics, not suitable for Orthdox Russia.

I would not be surprised in the least if she used her attendance at the Prussian wedding to conduct some surveillance to add to that list, or possibly eliminate candidates from it.

I just had a hilarious visualization of Maria's mind going over prospective brides for her son teh way the main character did in "The Terminator." Mentally taking down traits and looks and personalities and running them over in her mind like a computer and some of the women being labeled "Void" or "Possible," or "Perfect."

I'm guessing that Maria has thoroughly researched every possibility of a bride of Royal background who may suit, with the idea that conversion to Orthodoxy would merely be a formality for a propertly motivated bride. I'm also guessing that she has a list of candidates firmly embedded in her mind.

NO different form what a lot of royal parents do.

They are devoted catholics, not suitable for Orthdox Russia.

I don't think they would convert to Orthodoxy for marry Grand Duke Georg. Her mother is a friend of the actual Pope.

To follow Pauline Law, she would have to be Orthodox and Maria's whole claim is based on the laws that she has claimed she's followed to the letter.

They could think about anyone, doesn't mean it will happen. Who care what religion a bride is for a non-existent throne. If there was a bride.

Any potential bride for Gregori would have to be Orthodox at the time of marriage. If she wasn't born Orthodox, she would need to convert prior to the ceremony.

Most royal houses still follow the religious conditions of marriage whether reigning or not.

You're right with that; Maria won't allow any chance of a technicality undermining her son's rights that she's spent her life fighting for.

How about Duchess Helen in Bavaria as a wife for him? It seems she may not marry anytime soon and neither is he, it could be a mutual agreement they both marry equally learn to love each other and have children and ensure the succession through Grand Duchess Maria's line.

Apart from the issue of the religion (as Helena is Catholic), she's 9 years older than him and nearly 40 years old, not the best age to start having children (since Giorgi needs an heir, and it would be much better if he had more than one heir).

Can you just imagine Maria's reaction should Georgy fall in love and wish to marry some nice, pretty secretary, daughter of a mechanic with no aristocratic links. Even if she was Orthodox such a marriage would not meet the family laws. What do you think Maria would do if Georgy had the balls to insist on marrying for love.

Maria, her father and grandfather, have pretty much backed the family into a corner by insisting on equal marriages even after almost a century of living in exile and long after actual reigning families abandoned such rules. If Maria decides to wave the rules then that could open up the claims of male members of the Romanoff family who Marias clan say have not rights due to non-equal marriages.

Last edited:
I think Maria would alienate her son if she were to forbid him to marry whom he fell in love with. If she wants the line of succession (or whatever is left of it) secure, she will need to be a bit more open-minded. I don't know if anyone of the remaining Romanovs/Romanoffs are eager to have any claims to the throne. Maybe it's time to give it a rest and just let her son find his own happiness?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't disagree with you, its just that Maria and her clan have alienated the rest of the family by disapproving of their marriages, saying they dont have the right to call themselves Romanoffs, and saying that the Romanoff family now consists only of Maria and Georgy. If Georgy were to marry for love in this scenario the Romanoffs as a family would cease to exist.

Thank you for the explanation. I was slightly confused by the original posting.

I'm not sure what to think at this point. Maybe it's better to let the House of the Romanov fade into history. There's little to no chance of a Restoration (at least not in the time of Georgi), so why not let him marry for love and be happy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maria has already said that she's ready to change the Pauline Laws if her son falls in love with an "unequal" girl and wants to marry her. But this would put her in a difficult situation, given how much unbending she has been towards the year about the unequal marriages of the other Romanovs.

given how much unbending she has been towards the year about the unequal marriages of the other Romanovs.

Right there; how would she end up, if she were to change things just for the convenience of her son, if in fact she were to end up with her son marrying unequally. She would look like the world's biggest fool, at least among the other Romanovs. She's married equally, she's made a lot of sacrifices to make Georgi her Heir, she's spent decades fighting for him all the time, I don't think that it would be worth anything if in fact she were to end up seeing him marry a commoner.

its just that Maria and her clan have alienated the rest of the family by disapproving of their marriages, saying they dont have the right to call themselves Romanoffs, and saying that the Romanoff family now consists only of Maria and Georgy.

Which is just plain stupid since a lot of the Romanovs are in fact more closely descended from Nicholas II than Cyril was. She really, really, needs to stop this silly infighting with them and stop making herself out to be the only one with Romanov imperial blood in her veins. The others know who they are and are doing just as much for Russia and love Russia just as much, if not in some cases more sicne they aren't pestering the Russians for a billion ruble pension and palaces and official recognition of their titles.

Maybe, he doesn't want to marry a woman. Maybe, the non-existent throne will remain that way. Maybe, this is all conjecture and nonsense, because short of this forum, who cares, except his mother.

Can you just imagine Maria's reaction should Georgy fall in love and wish to marry some nice, pretty secretary, daughter of a mechanic with no aristocratic links. Even if she was Orthodox such a marriage would not meet the family laws. What do you think Maria would do if Georgy had the balls to insist on marrying for love.

Have a nice. big. stroke.

I think she would blow a gasket in private and at hte same time, tolerate the new wifey for the sake of Georgi's happiness.

Maria has already said that she's ready to change the Pauline Laws if her son falls in love with an "unequal" girl and wants to marry her. But this would put her in a difficult situation, given how much unbending she has been towards the year about the unequal marriages of the other Romanovs.

Their whole claim on the non-existant throne is based on their ancestors changing, bending or just plain ignoring the Pauline Laws. To try to stick to them now just makes them look even more ridiculous.:whistling: And it's hard not to discuss their claim on the throne or his mother in this thread because it's sort of a package deal at this point.

I, for one, hope he marries a commoner for love, male or female.

I just hope he finds someone who has the same intentions and wants to make a nice home for him and vice versa. It's not like commoners are the only ones incapable of loving him. If he has no real throne to inherit, why not marry another princess, of the House of Prussia and then live quietly as a Prussian prince with his princess?

I hope that he marries someone for the right reasons, along with the commoner as well. Not every commoner has the best of intentions and it's not like it's love or infatuation. Crown Princess Mathilde (my personal favorite) of Belgium was an aristocrat and she and Philippe look happy together. I am sure that with the right one, an aristocrat would make him just as happy as a commoner would, if he found the right one. Love can be found between two royalties as well as commoners. There's no reason that it HAS to be a commoner at all.

Under the Pauline Rules an aristocrat won't due. Several of the Romanoffs married into very aristocratic Russian families after the revolution but these were deemed unacceptable by Marias family.

Their whole claim on the non-existant throne is based on their ancestors changing, bending or just plain ignoring the Pauline Laws. To try to stick to them now just makes them look even more ridiculous.:whistling: And it's hard not to discuss their claim on the throne or his mother in this thread because it's sort of a package deal at this point.

Excellent post all around, RubyPrincess.

My personal opinion will be that the line ends here. The Vladimirovichi have done more pretzel moves than the average game of Twister to make "their" claim - including cozying up to the Soviet/Communist government and its successors - continually shoved to the front. It's time for the absurdity to end. If Georgi wishes to participate fully in Russian life, it's available for him. But it would be as a citizen of Russia, with his partner of choice.

Last edited:
I wonder if Georgi could marry someone from the 'opposing' side and unite the family at the very least. There are plenty of nice girls on that side I'm sure and there is no point to carrying on this rivalry. At some point he will have to meet someone and then marry and have kids. Maria needs grandkids to stuff full with cake and tea and pinches on cheeks; as for a citizen, that owuld be better than an official position since he would attract someone who would love him as a man and human, not a prince/Tsarevich.

The view here seems to be that George doesn't share Maria's wishes for the Imperial House to serve Russia. And in fact in every interview I've read or seen with HIH, he makes it clear that he does. There seems to be alot of guess work and rather cruel assumption going on here.

Well he, like anyone else, can serve Russia without continuing to claim headship of the former Imperial Family or any other claims to rank and title that go with it. He can do so as plain Mr Romanoff or plain Mr Prinz Von Preussen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom