The Qajar Dynasty and Imperial Succession after the Pahlavis

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Splodger

Aristocracy
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know who is the current claiment of the Qajar Dynasty of Iran?

Never heard of this dynasty. Could someone enlighten me about this dynasty?

Hi La La,
This is very brief, they were the last rulers of Perisa of turish desent (Iran) from the late 1700's to 1925 but had lot's of problems with corruption the russians, brits had more control over the gvt. and were overthrown with help of Reza Kahn (pre Pahlavi name change) who was the last shah's father. I'm sure others will fill in with more information.
Wittykitty:)

Thanks, cute girl. Is it only in Farsi?

Last edited by a moderator:
cute_girl said:
unfortunatly doesnt have this flash,but if found an article about one of Gajar princesses http://www.womeniniran.net/archives/EH/000938.html
if you have trouble with playing or meaning of the flash I'd be happy to help.
Thank you cute girl. For some odd reason, I can't read more of the articles. :confused: Nothing shows up when I click on "articles", on the menu. The only option that is working for me is "home" which navigates me back to the main page. But thanks anyway. :eek:

Last edited:
http://www.chn.ir/en/news/?id=5507&section=2

Puran Dokht, the Queen Who Preached Egalitarianism
2(20).jpg
Puran Dokht, who ascended to the throne of Sassanid Empire despite the male dominant trend of the time, was a preacher of sexual egalitarianism

The Qajars

Here is another site which provides a brief bit of information on the Qajar rulers of Persia. The arts benefited during their rule. . . a very elaborate style of portraiture developed. Hence unusual, stylistic paintings of Shahs, princes, and various court ladies. I believe what is considered classic Persian Music today also to be from the Qajar era. This extensive family lives all over the world and has produced some very gifted writers, scientists, doctors and scholars.

www.angelfire.com/az/Kadjar/page5.html

Hello,

I just read the question: "who is the current claimant of the Qajar Dynasty of Iran?".

His name is Prince Ali Qajar. He is descendant of Mohamad-Hassan Mirza and not Ahmad Shah, as his Majesty had no son.

Mohamad-Hassan Mirza, was Ahmad Shah’s brother and was the crown prince.

As put in other answers, this dynasty was replaced by Pahlavi Dynasty on 1925.

Iman

One book that I read on Iran was a bio done by the Shah's (twin?) sister that mentions the Qajars as still part of the Iranian nobility. There is a paragraph on a scandal involved her or her son and one of the members of that Qajar family I think in an airport or involving controlled substances. I'll have to find that book but I think is called the Man in the Mirror or something like that.
I found it in an used books store and there was little mention of the Princess' sister in law Farah.

Qajar Dynasty

Qajar Kings:
Agha Mohammad Khan 1794 - 1797
Fath'Ali Shah 1797 - 1834
Mohammad Shah 1834 - 1848
Naser o-Din Shah 1848 - 1896
Mozaffar o-Din Shah 1896 - 1907
Mohammed Ali Shah 1907 - 1909
Ahmed Shah 1909 - 1925

The Qajar class structure

Last edited:
The Qajar era was full of misery for Iranian people due to some unqualified kings.They lost a big part of Iran during wars with Russia.During that time, religion influenced the politics so much.
Qajar kings' passions were traveling and women. They made big harems but no developement in industry and economy .

Anyone knows if there was any attempt to return to Iran after the Shah & Family went into exile?

Toledo said:
Anyone knows if there was any attempt to return to Iran after the Shah & Family went into exile?

If you mean Qajar family, they were used to select heir to throne until recent years. But I don't think the new generation of this family are thinking of reigning in Iran.The most important thing is that Iranian don't want this family as Iran's kings again, as they don't have a good memory of them.

Iwona, thanks.
These Qajars look like the Iranian equivalent of the current French Bourbons and their quarrels for titles, while the Pahlavi clan could be compared to the Bonapartes as the last ruling family who still has the same claims.

Last edited:
One of the most famous Qajar rulers was Nasser-es-Din Shah, (1851-1896). he had an excellent Primer Minister, named Amir Kabir, who saddly was condamned to death by the Shah himself. The reasons behind this, remains very dark and not well known.

Nasser-es-Din was also known for his famous travels to Europe, and his books about them. Maybe he wasn't a great ruler, but I love his way of writing. I have one of these books and it is delightful to read. he was a very curious, interesting man. He was murdered by a baha'i when he was visiting a shrine.

His daughter, Taj-al Saltana was a feminist and wrote a book about her life at the Zenana (Harem). The book is named "Crown of Anguish". I highly reccommend it, as I reccomend a good biography of Nasser-es-Din, by Abbas Amanat: "Pivot of The Universe".

Vanesa.

Nice pic, Aryan! If you visit the Qajar sites in the net, you'll discover many photos like the ones you posted. The Qajars, as many families now does, meet every year in some European castle or United States ressort . One of the principal family members is the Prince Manouchehr Malekmansour Eskandiary, who is part of a Monarchist Society in America. He had an internet site (that I think now is gone :( ) to explain people why a Monarchy is better that other kind of governements (of course, not absolute Monarchy, but constitutional one). I suppose that his Monarchist Society (that is settled in America) still keeps working.

Prince Manouchehr is an experts in Politics and wrote lots of articles in www.iranian.com . They are interesting to read. He is not a Qajar-self-indulgent. He had lots of things to criticize about his family rule in the past.

Many Qajars still lives in Iran as common, simple people and nobody does any harm on them. Other Qajars are in Azherbaijan and other ex-Soviet-Republics. They lived there even under the Communist rule, and they were not bothered. Some of them still are in other European countries and in the USA's. The iranian Sha's P.M Mr. Mossadegh from the Jebbe Melli Party was a Qajar for her mother blood. I guess she was a Qajar princess. In the other hand, the other Shah's- P.M, Amir Abbas Hoveyda was himself a descendant of the famous Amir Kabir...

Vanesa.

Hello, I just read the question: "who is the current claimant of the Qajar Dynasty of Iran?".
His name is Prince Ali Qajar.
HIH Prince Soltan Ali Mirza Qajar to be precise.
:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys mustn't forget the Qajar princes are around 50'000 now all over the world and are not considered as "princes" by Iranians. However, the families considered as nobility were the families that had power during the Qajar era and the Qajar family itself is thus for sure considered as part of the aristocracy but not really "princes".

HIH Prince Soltan Ali Mirza Qajar to be precise.
:flowers:

Ahh . . ok

I had read something on Wikipedia showing that HIH Prince Soltan Ali Mirza Qajar has been the head of the Imperial family since 1988, while HIH Mohammad Hassan Mirza II Qajar has been the Heir Presumptive since 1988.

Here's what I found: Qajar dynasty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting that there are two lists there . . . .

Pahlavi succession question

Just a question regarding the succession of the Pahlavi claim to the Peacock Throne.

As it stands now, HIH Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi is the head of the Pahlavi family. Since he has 3 daughters, the next in line would be his brother HIH Ali-Reza Pahlavi (who is unmarried).

After them, who's next?

You guys mustn't forget the Qajar princes are around 50'000 now all over the world and are not considered as "princes" by Iranians. However, the families considered as nobility were the families that had power during the Qajar era and the Qajar family itself is thus for sure considered as part of the aristocracy but not really "princes".

Yes they are plentifull,the Qajar dynasty,especially HIH Prince Soltan's grandchildren,they were all over the place,it looked like a kindergarten,and by the sheer noise you would have believed it was one....grin...

But I've send some pics to Marengo to post here a while ago of the Head of the Dynasty and other Qajar Princess & Princesses as
they stayed with a friend of mine,and opened an exhibition of Art during the Qajar Reign,during their annual family gathering which was
in The Netherlands this summer.

I know he's a very busy man,but maybe,petêtre,vielleicht,he can find a spare sec to post them still....:blush:...

As it stands now, HIH Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi is the head of the Pahlavi family. Since he has 3 daughters, the next in line would be his brother HIH Ali-Reza Pahlavi (who is unmarried).

After them, who's next?
See this Wiki link According to this, the Pahlavi dynasty becomes extinct in the male line after Prince Ali Reza if he has no son.
The Imperial succession could then revert to the Qajar dynasty and its living descendants.

I have a friend who has a portrait of Sultan Fath Ali Shah Qajar. Can anyone suggest who to contact to verify whether this is an original portrait commissioned by the sultan? It is very old and it was purchased decades ago in Saudi Arabia.

Do any Descendants of the Safavid Dynasty Of Iran Still Live? I know Shah Tahmasp II Was deposed and exiiled in favor of his young son Shah Abas III who was also later deposed and sent into exile with his father in the late 18th century. I also know that both were assasinated in Exhile in favor of the Qajars Who then Reighned until deposed by the late Shah Pahlavi's Father! I have also researched the Qajars and The Heir Apparent today 9if he were to choose that title) lives in the Dallas Texas Area, ( Mohammad Hassan Mirja II) and has a son (H. H. Prince Arsalan Mirza) For anyone interested!

Hey Vanessa maybe you need to do a little more research. by all accounts Nasser was a educated and persuasive man however, the assassination was only an attempt (unsuccessful) AFTER he ordered the murder of the Baha'i leader (the Bab) who promoted peace and non-resistance, despite the Nasser's sanction of the brutal killing of thousands of Bahais including women and children. He was eventually assassinated by Mirza Reza Kermani who was a follower of Jamal-al-Din al-Afghani who was incidentally an Islamic idealogist. Despite his engaging travel diaries, the great amounts of public works he began, at the time of his death it was revealed that he had been granting numerous concessionary rights to foreigners in return for large payments that went into his own pockets, and was thought by many of the general populace to be a dictator and anti-reformist. I also read the the book by Taj-al Saltana, and even through her devotion to her father she has some disquiet over his treatment of Baha'is. Amir Kabir may have been one of the most capable prime ministers and reofrmers of Iran however to Baha'is he is as bad as Hitler, personally ordereding the execution of the Seven Martyrs of Tehran and the execution of The Báb, and is regarded even today as one of the greatest oppressors of the Baha'i faith.

If ANYONE deserves recognition as the TRUE Imperial Dynasty of Iran, it is the Qajars.
The "Pahlevi" made up their name. Reza Khan was a Turkic tribesman who overthrew the real Royal Family.

:previous:
According to Wiki the Qajars were also of Turkic origin.
All dynasties came from somewhere and most replaced or overthrew the previous dynasty, or rose up to fill a vacuum.
The last Khan of the Zand dynasty was "deposed, blinded and killed" in 1794 by Agha Mohammed Khan, the founder of the Qajar dynasty. In 1796 he went on to kill Shahrokh, the last Shah of the Afsharid dynasty.

Whatever the verdict is on Reza Khan, at least he didn't follow tradition by killing Ahmad, the last ruling Qajar Shah, but instead allowed him to go into European exile with his family.

Nonetheless, the Qajars ruled for about 130 years, so they have that over the Pahlavi's mere 54 years, plus they appear to have male successors, something the Pahlavi family lacks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom