The Chances of Restoration of Monarchy in Iran

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Quadjars are less known I suppose in nowadays Iran than the Pahlavis and Reza Shah married some Quadjar Princesses too.

Also firstborn daughter of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi - his only child with Egyptian Princess Fawzia - Princess Shahnaz married as her second husband, Khosrow Jahanbani, related to Qajars and had two children by him:

https://www.royalark.net/Persia/qajar17.htm

Also firstborn daughter of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi - his only child with Egyptian Princess Fawzia - Princess Shahnaz married as her second husband, Khosrow Jahanbani, related to Qajars and had two children by him:

https://www.royalark.net/Persia/qajar17.htm

So the Pahlavis are related to the Quadjars.
The only ones that still have support in the country are the Pahlavis.

That's actress Sarah Shahi's family isn't it ?

Sarah is the great-great granddaughter of Fath Ali Shah who ruled Iran until 1834.

So the Pahlavis are related to the Quadjars.
The only ones that still have support in the country are the Pahlavis.

By marriage.

Reza Shah did indeed marry a member of the Quadjar dynasty. His 4th wife Esmat was a member of the dynasty on both sides, her parents were cousins. Esmat was mother of five of his children. But his son Mohammed, so was the last shah of Iran, was the son of his third wife Tadj, who was the daughter of a prominent general.

The closest link to the main line of the Pahlavis would be the sultan's female line grandson Keykhosrow Jahanbani. He is the only son of Princess Shahnaz and her second husband Khosrow. Khosrow is the great-great grandson of the same former Quadjar ruler as Sarah Shahi is.

I guess instead of the line of the former shah, we could look to his younger siblings' lines, those whose mother was a Quadjar.

I never think we will see a monarchy fully restored. Romania seems the closest. But Iran is like France, in if you are going to restore a monarchy, which monarchy do you restore? Do you restore the original monarchy? Or do you restore the military formed one?

The shah of Iran's family is certainly not the only claimants to a Persian throne. Like the Bonapartist claim to the throne of France, they are a military dictatorship who crowned themselves. There was a previous dynasty, the Qajar dynasty which was over thrown. And as far as I am aware, there are living members of the dynasty alive.... [snipped]
I agree with your opinion. Iranians are said to want a person, who would be similar to the late Mr Mossadegh, to be a leader.

Last edited:
I agree with your opinion. Iranians are said to want a person, who would be similar to the late Mr Mossadegh, to be a leader.

But yesterday young people in different cities had slogans in favour of the Monarchy and of the Shah.

:previous:
It is largely irrelevant what young people chanted in different cities. The ruling military elite does not support Reza Pahlavi.

:previous:
It is largely irrelevant what young people chanted in different cities. The ruling military elite does not support Reza Pahlavi.

We hardly know that. It is obvious some of the young people are in favour of Monarchy.

"... some of the young people" are not a key indicator of the restoration support. This discussion, like all the restoration discussions, is doomed to run round in circles.

Last edited:
"... some of the young people" are not a key indicator of the restoration support. This discussion, like all the restoration discussions, is doomed to run round in circles.

It is for the first time foreign newspapers speak about young people supporting publicly Monarchy in Iran.

Further Explanation

Allow me to clarify why I believe a restoration in Iran is one of the most remote things ever.

First of all the brutal theocratic regime has so much control in the nation that it would be impossible for them to be overthrown, it doesn't help that the military and the law are firmly in their pockets. Never mind the fact that they control the media and censor everything in sight.

Second the Islamic Republic is a big ally of both the Russian Federation and the People's Republic of China, two rather warped nationalistic authoritarian republics that would gladly help anybody like them along with banana republics with family dynasties like Cuba, North Korea and Syria so chances are even if the ayatollah system were to go bye-bye Moscow and Beijing would do whatever it takes to put in a pro-Shanghai Cooperation Organization government in power in the country. Keep in mind that Iran produces a crap ton of oil (pardon my French) along with other resources so China and Russia would have a lot to loose if the government goes up.

Third if in all likelihood Iran were to breakaway from both the theocracy and Russia and China chances are if there is a referendum a republic would win an absolute and utter majority because most elders (the people who were around during the revolution) would probably vote for the republic along with the youths who just want a "pure" democracy in the country, this isn't even taking in account power vacuums and possible charismatic leaders that would take over in the country that would transition Iran from a nationalist authoritarian theocratic republic into just a nationalist republic that would probably ban both of the former dynasties of Iran like Italy. I don't need to remind people here of the referendums of Albania and Brazil from the 1990s do I?

Fourth there would be a huge up battle just to talk people into supporting something that many people deem undemocratic.

That is why not only do I think it is so remote and will definitely not happen in our lifetime but it will probably not happen at all.

-Frozen Royalist

P.S. forgive me for saying this but I do wish sometimes that this had happened to Saudi Arabia instead considering about what goes on and how they fund Wahhabism in the world. Plus Iran was a constitutional monarchy, albeit a flawed one clearly, while Saudi Arabia is an absolute monarchy.

Last edited:
Allow me to clarify why I believe a restoration in Iran is one of the most remote things ever.

First of all the brutal theocratic regime has so much control in the nation that it would be impossible for them to be overthrown, it doesn't help that the military and the law are firmly in their pockets. Never mind the fact that they control the media and censor everything in sight.

Second the Islamic Republic is a big ally of both the Russian Federation and the People's Republic of China, two rather warped nationalistic authoritarian republics that would gladly help anybody like them along with banana republics with family dynasties like Cuba, North Korea and Syria so chances are even if the ayatollah system were to go bye-bye Moscow and Beijing would do whatever it takes to put in a pro-Shanghai Cooperation Organization government in power in the country. Keep in mind that Iran produces a crap ton of oil (pardon my French) along with other resources so China and Russia would have a lot to loose if the government goes up.

Third if in all likelihood Iran were to breakaway from both the theocracy and Russia and China chances are if there is a referendum a republic would win an absolute and utter majority because most elders (the people who were around during the revolution) would probably vote for the republic along with the youths who just want a "pure" democracy in the country, this isn't even taking in account power vacuums and possible charismatic leaders that would take over in the country that would transition Iran from a nationalist authoritarian theocratic republic into just a nationalist republic that would probably ban both of the former dynasties of Iran like Italy. I don't need to remind people here of the referendums of Albania and Brazil from the 1990s do I?

Fourth there would be a huge up battle just to talk people into supporting something that many people deem undemocratic.

That is why not only do I think it is so remote and will definitely not happen in our lifetime but it will probably not happen at all.

-Frozen Royalist

P.S. forgive me for saying this but I do wish sometimes that this had happened to Saudi Arabia instead considering about what goes on and how they fund Wahhabism in the world. Plus Iran was a constitutional monarchy, albeit a flawed one clearly, while Saudi Arabia is an absolute monarchy.

The youth have never known the Monarchy in the country and they want a real change. It is hard to say what will happen but the Pahlavis have supporters and it is certainly an option for the future.

Monarchy? Which monarchy? That vaudeville of a colonel who seized power after a military coup d'état and made himself "King"?

If you accept this scenario, then the Queen of Spain died last week: the daughter of that military leader who seized power and who ruled Spain with iron fist, for decades.

I hope the Iranians will find themselves in a free, open and blooming country with a working democracy. Free from the parasites of the Pahlavi "monarchy" and free from the oppression of the ayatollahs.

Last edited:
Well Duc_et_pair the thing is once a family is considered a royal dynasty, the House of Zogu in Albania for example is considered a royal family even though it was established by the Albanian Republic's only president Ahmed Zogu, it's pretty much a royal dynasty for the rest of time like the Pahlavi Dynasty. The man who established the Pahlavi Dynasty was the prime minister, minister of war and a former brigadier general of the Iranian army during the days of the Qajar Dynasty not a colonel. To be fair though the Pahlavi Dynasty was a lot more progressive compared to the Qajar Dynasty but it did certainly have its issues. Honestly I don't think the Pahlavi monarchy was the worst one of the twentieth and nineteenth centuries compared to the dynasties of Egpyt, Ethiopia, Vietnam, Laos, China, Iraq, and Wittelsbach Greece who were either extremely unpopular, looted their people for all it was worth, and/or were just plain incompetent. Yes there was corruption but honestly it just seemed like the norm in that region, although I think the revolution was a bit much considering the former Shah at least acknowledged the problems and made an attempt at fixing them but oh well fate had other ideas.

-Frozen Royalist

P.S. Do you think the first Ayatollah ever smiled or laughed a joke?

P.S. Do you think the first Ayatollah ever smiled or laughed a joke?

Ayatollah Khomeini? Oh yes, there are photos of him smiling around, just google him.

Don't really know what it has to do with this thread though :flowers:

On Twitter there are MANY videos of groups of protesters in Iran [over recent Days] calling for the return of Reza Pahlavi, the Crown Prince. Try looking at the #IranProtests thread and you will see...

... [snipped] Second the Islamic Republic is a big ally of both the Russian Federation and the People's Republic of China, two rather warped nationalistic authoritarian republics that would gladly help anybody like them along with banana republics with family dynasties like Cuba, North Korea and Syria so chances are even if the ayatollah system were to go bye-bye Moscow and Beijing would do whatever it takes to put in a pro-Shanghai Cooperation Organization government in power in the country. Keep in mind that Iran produces a crap ton of oil (pardon my French) along with other resources so China and Russia would have a lot to loose if the government goes up. ... [snipped]
Did Russia or China carry an operation "AJAX" to remove Mr Mossadegh? Did Russia or China decide to torpedo the Pahlavi's reign through crackdown? It is the usual case of the dirtiest pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited:
Did Russia or China carry an operation "AJAX" to remove Mr Mossadegh? Did Russia or China decide to torpedo the Pahlavi's reign through crackdown? It is the usual case of the dirtiest pot calling the kettle black.

Touché !

:flowers:

It was just a simple curiosity really, I mean whenever I look at the guy he just has this face that just plainly says I don't smile nor do I believe in happiness. I'm sorry his face just drives me crazy. I apologize for getting off topic but that face portrait of him really bugs me.

About my statement of Russia and China, the reason I brought them up is because I recall watching several news clips about Russia warning the United States about getting involved in Iran and about how it could lead to a Russio-American War and so fourth. I mean the RF is already doing everything it can to keep the Syrian government afloat so whose to say they wont do the same for Iran. As for China well they need oil and they're buddy-buddy with Russia so its kind of a no brainer about why they'd want the Islamic Republic to continue breathing.

I'm honestly surprised there are Iranian monarchists still, although only time will tell where the support will go if the "revolution" ever goes bust.

-Frozen Royalist

Last edited:
The Iranians will be wiser than to to get this absurdism back. See him sitting there. On that gems-encrusted "Peacock" throne. The son of a military coup leader. While his people are in poverty. Pffff.

Recently there was an interview with Farah Diba on French television (TV5). She denied "the Shah" did anything wrong. Oppression? Not true. Secret police? Not true. Outrageous opulence? Not true. All stories set up by the Shah's enemies to paint him black.

If Farah Diba and her son still have this opinion on "the Shah", then they can forget any chance.

Last edited:
The Iranians will be wiser than to to get this absurdism back. See him sitting there. On that gems-encrusted "Peacock" throne. The son of a military coup leader. While his people are in poverty. Pffff.

Recently there was an interview with Farah Diba on French television (TV5). She denied "the Shah" did anything wrong. Oppression? Not true. Secret police? Not true. Outrageous opulence? Not true. All stories set up by the Shah's enemies to paint him black.

If Farah Diba and her son still have this opinion on "the Shah", then they can forget any chance.

HM the Empress and HRH Prince Reza want certainly the best for their people. The future type of government will be decided by the people.

HM the Empress and HRH Prince Reza want certainly the best for their people. The future type of government will be decided by the people.

There is the theory: "We only want the best for the people".
And there is the practice.

The documentary Decadence and Downfall: The Shah of Iran's Ultimate Party maybe will be an eye-opener.

Link:

We should not forget how much the Empress did for the country during any years. People still remember that.

We should not forget how much the Empress did for the country during any years. People still remember that.

Any example with source? What could Mrs Pahlavi do while wandering from the Ritz to the Savoy, for the people in hermetically closed Iran?

Mrs Pahlavi

I am puzzled Duc_et_Pair, by your deeply inconsistent nomenclature regarding deposed Royals..
You describe [presumably to insult] a deposed, but Crowned [within living memory] Empress as 'Mrs' yet call a member of the Orleans House [deposed in 1848] 'Dauphin' ?
Baffling, but I suppose it speaks to your prejudices ?

Any example with source? What could Mrs Pahlavi do while wandering from the Ritz to the Savoy, for the people in hermetically closed Iran?

I knew you were an incorrigible snob, but now i know you're bordeline offensive with the people who don't "fit" with your very peronnal conception of how to be a good royal.
May i suggest to be a bit more attentive about the personnality and/or the past/current duties of the ex Empress of Iran? You could be suprised ..

Here's a good exemple :

You're welcome :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom