The Chances of Restoration of Monarchy in Iran

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This was discussed in another thread. My opinion, based on what Persians in exile have told me is that it is VERY unlikely to happen. (I don't say never). Most of the young people in Iran don't know anything about the Shah and his family. For a restoration to happen it would also have to have the support of the religous conservatives, who have always despised everything that the Shah stood for. (His modernisation, thinking about personal freedoms etc).

I should like it, for sure. But we live in a real world and not in a fantasy one. The fact is that I don't see Mohammed Reza Pahlavi's son as a Shah himself. He is too much pro-American, and he should be suspected of favorizing this country over other ones, and Monarch must be very balanced. Hmmm. I don't know. I was thinking about his elder daughter - if Iran accapets to put a woman in the thorne...or having a throne again ! ;D -, maybe she could become a Shahbanu in her own right. But, Alas! She is already almost a woman and she was born in a country in which she lived all her short life...she'll be influenced by it. She could want to change Iran culture into American one and this is not right.The whole matter is hard to give my opinion. I think that Monarchy is the best way of governement there is...But we must analyze carefully Iran's present political face and the candidates to be the new Shah. I don't know if I should like to see any Pahlavi at the throne again. Vanesa.

Monarchy is hardly the "best government" and it has pro and cons. And, why, would being Pro-American make him a bad ruler? Monarchs are human, they often "favor" certain types of lifestyles. What you have in Iran, today, is a theocracy, that treats women, poorly. Many educated women fled Iran and have come to this country where they can live and work.

Sorry, but don't confuse the Monarchy with the Government, if we are talking of a constitutional Monarchy, which, in my opinion, could be the best solution (and not only for Iran).

Constitutional monarchy is a show with a lot of extras, that may contribute to some sort of identity, but adds small value for its costs. That is my humble opinion.

If by a slight chance an Iranain restoration did occour, I think it would greatly help the human rights situation and relations with other countries but would only work if a moderate candidate that the religious and other factions of Iran agreed upon and is respected by the international community was restored.

Yes, you are right. It would have to be someone who could broker the secular with the religious and still have a moderate, modern government, open to all.

Does anyone think events such as the current post-election violence could be avoided if a monarchy was restored? It only goes to show what happens when there is too much politics in th executive branch of government...

It isn't politics. It is a mistrust for a theocratic government, with no checks and balances and little opportunity for an honest elective recount. The Supreme power never changed, it is still the Ayatollah.

If the government in Iran were to change radically ie: complete overthrow of the current system I wonder if the CP could return and live there. Perhaps the CP would be interested in running for political office similar to King Simeon in Bulgaria who was Prime Minister.

It isn't politics. It is a mistrust for a theocratic government, with no checks and balances and little opportunity for an honest elective recount. The Supreme power never changed, it is still the Ayatollah.

It's not like there checks and balances when the Shah was in power. There wasn't. A huge reason why he lost was because he didn't let the people have participation in their government. It wasn't just those who didn't like moderation that rose up against him, it was also educated Iranians at the time that wanted democracy.

He had a brutal secret police. He repressed the protestors in a much crueler and obvious way then the current regime is doing it.

In the Supreme Leader's case, well there's actually a constitutional way for the Iranians to get him out. Although it seems to me if it's true the Current Supreme Leader did this partly to ensure his kid could be Supreme Leader after him. He could be literally trying to make a NEW dynasty in Iran....

The facts are though what the Iranians want is democracy, freedom of speech, freedom of press. Sure they don't have it now, but they didn't have it under the Shah either. If they were going to have a monarchy which I'm sure they don't want. Their current situation with the Supreme Leader, is I'm sure "hardly" convincing the Iranians that monarchy is the way to go.

I do see the value of a constitutional monarchy. But I have a hard time thinking in this case, the Shah's son returning is going to put joy in the hearts of the average Iranian.

I Would support a Sweden Type Model very limited Power Seperation on Politics and Religon to an extent I Like Crown Prince Reza!

I am sure the Crown Prince is a nice person. But, the Iranians want democracy, now. They are predominantly young and educated and are fighting for a democratic government, not any type of monarchy.

I saw an expert in history of Iran in television, he was analyzing it. He said it was very difficult the change in Iran, it is not easy to remove the Ayatollahs, he said that democracy in Iran was not as easy by the union's power with the religion.
Today, I saw on TV to Reza, he was very emotional, he had that remenber to his father.....

El hijo del Sha llama emocionado a «derrotar» al régimen de Irán - Internacional_Oriente_Medio - Internacional - ABC.es

Brief summary of the article:

Prince Reza, who appeared before the journalists in a very emotional state and with broken voice, described the protests in Iran as “cry for Freedom and Democracy”. He noted that “it is the first time in modern history of Iran, when the Iranian people demand the intervention of the international community to have their voices heard”. He added that they (the Iranians) “must defeat the system” and that they “know that this regime has to go”. According to the Prince, “this is the moment of truth” and “the time has come to Iran after 30 years of struggle”.

But Prince Reza also warned that the movement will not succeed without the support of international community and more vocal condemnations of the Iranian Government’s actions. As said by the Prince, “rarely have I seen non-violent movements succeed without International support”. Prince Reza told he was encouraged by the most recent statements of U.S. president Barack Obama, who had urged the Iranian Government “to stop the violence and unjust actions against its own people.”

Prince Reza also revealed that he had received information from Iran from “people well positioned” that there are currently two groups in the country – those who are loyal to the regime and those who are carefully evaluating their exit.

The emotional Prince also added that “we will not let the movement die. It (the movement) is not anti-Islamic but fights for the ‘sacred’ rights of people”. According to Prince Reza, “this is not about the elections or the candidates but about achieving freedom, democracy and right to vote freely.”

Prince Reza also added that his decision to speak words of support for the Iranian people has nothing to do with his own future, but with his desire to see his country a true democracy because “it is the only solution for our country”.

He sounds like a ,truly, wonderful young man. It is a heart rending scene. No ones knows what will transpire. Yes, we, certainly support their struggle. It is hard to imagine living under such a stultifying regime, such as a theocracy.

I think it is an actual and real proobability . The world is becoming globalized. The theocracy may not be able to sustain itself forever - it must exhaust itself out. Then the monarchy as a solution may have chances to return; perhaps revised; but still restored.

I´m against the monarchy in Iran. Because they had a democracy. Based on the interests of the USA and Great-Britain, Mohammad Mossadegh, the first president of the Iran, was backstabbed by his people (with money). And why? Oil!
And the emperor? He was a huge mistake. I´m a royalty fan, but in this case democracy is the only answer for the region.

You are right. If they could sustain democracy, that would be best. The monarchy did nothing for them.

Prince Reza would become a very good constitutional Monarch.

From what I remember from the Sixties, the Iranian monarchy was somewhat overblown, to say the least. But with the arrival of Farah Diba, things seemed to change, but clearly not fast enough.

However, anything would have been better than the current status quo.

Maybe monarchy in Iran could be restored in similar way it happened in Spain in 1970s: as part of democratization where monarchy is a symbol of tolerance.

I too believe Reza can lead his country to democratization, to full human rights etc. I like it that he doesn't seem to care about his imperial status, he seems serious and ready to change/modernize Iran and make it a better place for everyone. He can also deal with the foreign affairs much better than anyone. Iran deserves a pilot of quality after all these hardships and adventures, IMO.

There is the question of the heir, Reza has only daughters and I am not sure that a woman can inherit the throne in Iran .

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the succession rules of the monarchy before the revolution, women can't inherit the throne; now the Heir is Reza's cousin, Prince Ali Patrick (son of the late Prince Ali Reza, younger brother of the last Shah).

Are they in speaking terms ?

I really don't know; are they supposed not to be?

I don't know, just a question , it's just that we don't have any insight of their relationship.

Ali Patrick was publicly very critical towards the regime of the Shah, but this was 30 and more years ago; I don't know if this has affected his relationship with his cousins and aunts (who on the contrary strongly defend the Shah's doings).

Back
Top Bottom