The Battenbergs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubyPrincess168

Royal Highness
City
Sun Prairie
Country
United States
I can't find much about what happened to the rest of the Battenburgs. Most of what's out there has to do with Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Beatrice marrying Prince Louis (?) of Battenburg and their children in England, changing their name to Mountbatten, etc. What happened to the rest of them in Germany? The reason I ask is because my great-great-great-grandfather was married to Anna Catherina Battenburg, and other than birth/death dates and places I can't find out anything about her. Can anybody help me?

The Battenberg Family Tree

Alexander (1823-1888), Prince of Hesse and by Rhine
marrried morganatically 1851 Countess Julie von Hauke (1825-1895); their children Princes and Princesses of Battenberg, HSH:

• Louis (1854-1921) became Marquess of Milford Haven 1917
married Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine (1863-1950): issue:
1. Alice (1885-1969) Princess Andrew of Greece, mother of Prince Philip
2. Louise (1889-1965) became Queen of Sweden
3. George (1892-1938) 2nd Marquess of Milford Haven
4. Louis (1900-k 1979) Earl Mountbatten of Burma

• Alexander (1857-1893) became Alexander I, Prince of Bulgaria
married 1889 Johanna Loisinger (1865-1951); issue Count and Countess of Hartenau:
1. Arsene (1890-1965)
2. Marie Zwetana (1893-1935)

• Henry (1858-1896)
married 1885 Princess Beatrice of Great Britain (1857-1944); issue:
1. Alexander (1886-1960) Marquess of Carisbrooke
2. Victoria Eugenie (1887-1969) became Queen of Spain
3. Leopold (1889-1922)
4. Maurice (1891-ka 1914)

• Franz Joseph (1861-1924)
married 1897 Princess Anna of Montenegro (1874-1971); no issue.

• Marie (1852-1923)
married 1871 Gustav, 1st Prince and Count zu Erbach-Schönberg (1840-1908) ; issue:
1. Alexander (1872-1944) married Princess Elisabeth of Waldeck-Pyrmont
2. Maximilian (1878-1892)
3. Viktor (1880-1967)
4. Marie Elisabeth (1883-1966) married Prince Wilhelm zu Stolberg-Wernigerode

Thanks for your help! There was no mention of her in any of the info. Maybe ACB was illegitimate, or because of her marriage she was disowned and all mention of her removed? I don't know how that works. I just remember my grandmother showing me a postcard of the Crown Regalia of England once and saying we were erlated to them. My mom loved to talk family genealogy with my grandfather, but my grandmother would always leave the room, at which point my granfather would make a comment like "Be careful when looking into family history. You might find something you didn't want to know." All I know is she was born (1792) and died (1852) in Olberade, Hessen, Germany.

RubyPrincess168 said:
I just remember my grandmother showing me a postcard of the Crown Regalia of England once and saying we were erlated to them... All I know is she was born (1792) and died (1852) in Olberade, Hessen, Germany.
Your ancestor may well have been descended from the Hesse-Darmstadts, but the Battenberg title created for the the wife of Prince Alexander of Hesse did not come into being until they married in 1851, a year before your ancestor died.

The Hesse-Darmstadts were allied to the British Royal Family in 1862 when Queen Victoria's daughter Alice married Ludwig IV, later Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine.
The Battenberg family-British Royal Family connection doesn't come until 1884 when Prince Louis of Battenberg married Alice and Ludwigs' daughter Princess Victoria. She was a first cousin once removed as her father was the son of Prince Alexander's brother Karl.
A more immediate family connection took place in 1885 when Prince Henry of Battenberg married Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Beatrice.

Ludwig II - Karl - Ludwig IV - Victoria
Ludwig II - Alexander - Louis
Ludwig II - Alexander - Henry

Victoria - Alice - Victoria
Victoria - Beatrice

RubyPrincess168 said:
Thanks for your help! There was no mention of her in any of the info. Maybe ACB was illegitimate, or because of her marriage she was disowned and all mention of her removed? I don't know how that works. I just remember my grandmother showing me a postcard of the Crown Regalia of England once and saying we were erlated to them. My mom loved to talk family genealogy with my grandfather, but my grandmother would always leave the room, at which point my granfather would make a comment like "Be careful when looking into family history. You might find something you didn't want to know." All I know is she was born (1792) and died (1852) in Olberade, Hessen, Germany.

If her name was Battenburg, she probably wasn't related to the Battenbergs.
"Burg" means "castle", while "berg" means "mountain". Thus, nowadays, it's a different name. There are several places in Germany called Battenberg. There is a commoner family of Battenburg/Battenberg (spelling of family names varied over the centuries) which originally came from the Rhineland (Duesseldorf area) and there were two noble families of this name (one from Hesse, one form the Rhineland) but their lines respectively stopped before 1700.

But the name of Battenberg which is used today by relatives of the BRF was a new creation for Julia Freiin von Hauke on her marriage to prince Alexander of Hesse. The extinct title of Battenberg (note: title, not family name) was recreated for her children. Thus, the list of relations should be clear as it's a rather recent creation.

There was von Bronckhorst family family, Herr zu Batenburg, and late around XV c. took the name von Bronckhorst-Batenburg
http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=en;m=N;v=von+Bronckhorst-Batenburg;t=A

But in the other source which I found that that could be the other version of von Battenbergs surname http://www.links.org/links-cgi/family?/home/camilla/links-data+camilla-butler+1974611+1-1-0-1

Are you sure if this Anna Catherina was Battenburg with or without "von"? Whe does she came from?

1. Maybe she wasn't related with the Hesse-Darmstadt family and she just say that she is?
2. Maybe she take her surname from Batenburg - village in the municipality of Wijchen, in the Dutch province of Gelderland, about 15 km west of Nijmegen.
3. Maybe your ancestor may well have been descended from the Hesse-Darmstadts with Battenburg/berg surname if she was as you wrote illegitimate?
4. I don't think that as you wrote "because of her marriage she was disowned and all mention of her removed". It's not Japan.

Maybe you should try with genealogical-boards or good books about royalty? Maybe Jiri Louda, Michael MacLagan, Lines of successesion: heraldry of the royal families of europe, John Morby, Dynasties of the World: a chronological handbook.
http://www.thepeerage.com/s1.htm#16

Last edited:
Is there any connecton to Prince Alexander Battenberg of Bulgaria and the Battenburgs discussed here? I see that the spell is different too. Thanks

platinum69 said:
Is there any connecton to Prince Alexander Battenberg of Bulgaria and the Battenburgs discussed here? I see that the spell is different too. Thanks
As I mention before - but in the other source which I found that that could be the other version of von Battenbergs surname http://www.links.org/links-cgi/famil...974611+1-1-0-1

If we discussed about these royal Battenbergs than yes he was. Warren posted it before.

About Burg Battenburg, Battenberg
http://www.burgtour.de/burgen2.htm?/burgen/burgvorlage.php/burgen/burg2-battenburg-pfalz.html

Last edited:
Smth what I've just found:

Spelling variations of origin German displayed:
Batenberg, Batenberger, Battenberg, Battenberger, Battenburg, Battenburger, Batenburg, Batenburger, Battenbergg, Battenbergger, Batenbergg, Batenbergger.
[...]
Some of the first settlers of this name or some of its variants were:
Herman Battenberg who came to Pennsylvania in 1749,
Christian Battenberg arrived in New York City in 1782,
Henry Battenberg settled in Philadelphia, Pa.

http://www.houseofnames.com/coatofarms_details.asp?sId=&s=battenburg

and one more about Battenberg family
http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/BAR_BEC/BATTENBERG.html

Last edited:
From the same site: http://ultimate-bulgaria.com/prince_battenberg.htm

Alexander of Battenberg, Prince of Bulgaria 1879-1886

AlexanderPrinceofBattenberg.jpg

I can't remember the names of Prince Philp, Duke of Edinburg's sisters' but I call recall at all of them married German Princes.

Back
Top Bottom