The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-30-2015, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Princes of Saxe-Weimar, of Saxe-Coburg and Saxe-Meiningen signed a document contesting the right to the title of Prince of Saxony to Alexander:

Wettiner-Prinz ausgeschlossen: Beben im höchsten sächsischen Adel! - Dresden - Bild.de

Old 06-30-2015, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

What a mess. To the best of my understanding, the document basically states that the Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, the Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and the Duke of Saxe-Meiningen, as Heads of the three surviving lines of the House of Wettin, do not recognize Mr. Alexander Prinz von Sachsen as a member of the House of Wettin, nor as a Prince of Saxony and neither as the Head of the Royal House of Saxony.
What I wonder is, do they have any right to question the succession of the Housee of Saxony? And who should be the successor to the late Margrave of Meissen?

Old 06-30-2015, 05:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

As i understand it their statement is that Alexander was adopted and is therefore not a member of the nobility, that he is not a member of the house of Wettin and that he is not the successor of Markgraf Maria Emanuel von Meissen
But i'm not completely clear on whether there's a reason for this statement now...?
As a reason for the statement the phrase "the public is entitled to know the truth" is used, but that seems a bit cryptic to me?
Old 06-30-2015, 05:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
As i understand it their statement is that Alexander was adopted and is therefore not a member of the nobility, that he is not a member of the house of Wettin and that he is not the successor of Markgraf Maria Emanuel von Meissen
But i'm not completely clear on whether there's a reason for this statement now...?
As a reason for the statement the phrase "the public is entitled to know the truth" is used, but that seems a bit cryptic to me?

IIRC Alexander has done some work for the state of Saxony so maybe that's why the members of the House of Weetin feel the need to put their foot down on the matter and make it clear that the rest of the family basically thinks he's ursurping their heritage? Please note that these are my words not theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-30-2015, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
What a mess. To the best of my understanding, the document basically states that the Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, the Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and the Duke of Saxe-Meiningen, as Heads of the three surviving lines of the House of Wettin, do not recognize Mr. Alexander Prinz von Sachsen as a member of the House of Wettin, nor as a Prince of Saxony and neither as the Head of the Royal House of Saxony.
Also the german Nobility association dioes not recognize Alexander as member of the Royal House of Saxony and also not as it's Head.
here is e detalied document in german on their Website: http://www.adel-in-deutschland.de/Gu...ngutachten.pdf
Old 06-30-2015, 05:42 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
What I wonder is, do they have any right to question the succession of the Housee of Saxony? And who should be the successor to the late Margrave of Meissen?
The titular Grand Duke of Saxony and Dukes of Saxe-Meiningen & Hildburghausen and of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha are actually dynasts of the Saxon royal family. The last monarchical constitution settles the succession of the Kingdom of Saxony upon the "Saxon princely house", that is the whole House of Wettin itself. A pretender doesn't gain more powers than he would have had during the monarchy itself. Maria Emmanuel couldn't bump eventual dynasts further down.

During the last Saxon re-shuffle, the King of Saxony participated in the discussions. Likewise, a change in the succession of Royal Saxony likely would have involved the Ernestine lines.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:44 PM
Royal Highness

Michael Benedikt of Saxe-Weimar has been opposed to Alexander of Saxony from the beginning.

Schock für Sachsens Königsfamilie: Adelsrechtsausschuss erklärt die Wettiner Königslinie für erloschen - Dresden - Bild.de
Old 06-30-2015, 05:47 PM
Royal Highness

According to the poster Bernardino on the Nobiliana forum, the other lines of the Saxon dynasty did not have succession rights in the Kingdom of Saxony.

Quote:
Saxony became an independent country from 1806 and it legally had its own succession rules not connected to the pre-1806 condition, which still affects the families once ruling in the Wettiner Thuringian duchies.

The Saxon Constitution of 1831 in its 7th article permitted the Crown of Saxony to go to a female (of the closest line to her predecessor) or to her heir in the event of the extinction of all equal agnatic members of the Royal House, with the premise the equality of marriages was preserved …
Once the late Margrave of Meissen considered his sisters' marriage to be an equal one, then her offspring should be considered entitled for succession...

Also, The Königlich Sächsisches Hausgesetz (Saxon Royal House Law) of 1837, in its first article stated clearly that the Royal House of Saxony consisted in the Albertiner Line of the House of Saxony, explicitly saying it is/was composed both by princes and princesses of the family born of equal marriages.
Article 3 says the Princesses are ranked according to their succession rights to the throne.
Article 15 speaks of their right of succession in the terms of Article 7 of the Constitution of Saxony of 1831.

The Royal House of Saxony is independent. Still they are right when they say HRH The Margrave of Meissen is not a real Wettin, that's not questionable, I myself tend to see this line as the Wettin-Afif.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

The Three Dukes and their Families do not have succession rights in the Kingdom of Saxony and their opinions regarding Succession in the Royal House of Saxony do not have any real consequence.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Finally i have not understand who is the heir of Saxony?
Old 07-01-2015, 02:51 AM
Royal Highness

Prince Alexander of Saxony was styled as Markgraf von Meissen when he attended the funeral of Landraf Mortiz of Hesse in 2013.

His morganatic cousin Rudiger was not invited.

Recently, as reported, Alexander was also received by His Holiness the Pope.

The other Saxon heads of house may disagree on this point, but there are other royal families and institutions who do appear to recognize Alexander as Head of the Saxon Royal House.

As long as Alexander and his family are dedicated to preserving the cultural heritage of Saxony, which they are, one wonders why they should be the subjects of this sort of treatment.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
According to the poster Bernardino on the Nobiliana forum, the other lines of the Saxon dynasty did not have succession rights in the Kingdom of Saxony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The titular Grand Duke of Saxony and Dukes of Saxe-Meiningen & Hildburghausen and of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha are actually dynasts of the Saxon royal family. The last monarchical constitution settles the succession of the Kingdom of Saxony upon the "Saxon princely house", that is the whole House of Wettin itself. A pretender doesn't gain more powers than he would have had during the monarchy itself. Maria Emmanuel couldn't bump eventual dynasts further down.

During the last Saxon re-shuffle, the King of Saxony participated in the discussions. Likewise, a change in the succession of Royal Saxony likely would have involved the Ernestine lines.
My impression is that these two opinions are quite radically different, and the one excluded the other. Either the Royal House of Saxony is formed by the Albertine line of the House of Wettin, as it results from the 1837 House Laws, or it is formed also by the members of the Ernestine line.
But I wonder, if also the members of the Ernestine branch were dynasts in the Royal House of Saxony, wouldn't the most senior of them be the Heir to the late Margrave of Meissen, without any doubt?
Old 07-01-2015, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent

The late Head of the Royal House of Saxony acted according with therules of this House. Obviously he had only this choice.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:35 PM
Courtier

As far as I know, the Imperial House of Brazil recognizes Prince Alexander as Head of the Royal House of Saxony.

That must be due to the fact Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, and Princess Gisela of Bavaria, Prince Alexander's wife, are first cousins.

Prince Luiz and Princess Gisela:

http://www.terra.com.br/istoegente/3.../agito_01g.jpg

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal House of Saxony is a Catholic House and the Pope recognizes Prince Alexander as the Head of the House.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:11 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

HH the pope does nothing of the sort. He received the prince or 'prince' but that was that. I am sure that HH has more important things to do than get involved in such issues.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Heir Apparent

During the visit to the Pope the titles of HRH Prince Alexander were respected.