Duke Franz and the Royal House of Bavaria 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A question: after reading that HRH the Duke of Bavaria still lives in Nymphenburg Palace, I wonder who is the current owner of the Palace?

The Palace is owned by the State Bavara. Butthe Family has the right to use parts of the Castle. The Duke also doesn't live in the main-building he lives in one of the small Buildings opposide the Castle in the Rondell.

Though I wouldn't usually post comments like this I have to say that Prince Manuel is very handsome

Thanks Stefan.
Did any other members of the family attend? I believe that prince Ludwig will eventually succeed as head of the house of Bavaria.

Duchess Elisabeth in Bayern and her husband Daniel Terberger
attend the Escada - A View on Fashion 1978-2009 during the
Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week S/S 2010 at Bode Museum on
July 1, 2009 in Berlin, Germany.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Hello! What do you think about the idea of the restoration of the Monarchy in Bavaria? I have read that there are a lot of supporters of the restoration living in Bavaria.

Regards!

Well, I like the idea very much. I always liked the thought of a parliamentary monarchy.

But unfortunately it will be impossible to reinstate the Wittelsbacher as monarchs :nonono:

I know that the Bavaria's royal family has always been very popular between their people (already from te 1920s, isn't it?) but the big problem IMO is the fact that Bavaria is a land of the German Federal Republic. Does the German Constitution allow every land to chose between monarchy and republic? I don't think Bavarians would like to be an indipendent state

May I ask how many children has Prince Luitpold ?
I saw the wedding of Prince Manuel .
Who will be Duke's Max heir ? Is Prince Ludwig Prince Luitpold's son ??
Thanks for answering

May I ask how many children has Prince Luitpold ?
I saw the wedding of Prince Manuel .
Who will be Duke's Max heir ? Is Prince Ludwig Prince Luitpold's son ??
Thanks for answering

He has 5 children
Auguste, * * 1979
Alice, * 1981, she will marry on 29.08.2009 Prince Lukas of Auersperg
Ludwig, * 1982
Heinrich, * 1986
Karl, * 1987

The succession goes after Duke Franz to his brother Max and then to Prince Lutpold their second cousin. His mother Princess Irmingard was a halfsister, of their father Duke Albrecht but the succession goes through Lutpolds grandfather Prince Franz a younger brother of Crown Prince Rupprecht.

Last edited:
Duchess Elisabeth in Bayern seems to have attended a number of events during the European Fashion Week, which is always big in NY as well. Does she have some ties to the fashion industry, perhaps as a promoter of Bavarian fashion manufacturers?

ETA: Yup, already answered back in an earlier post. Her husband, Daniel Terberger, heads up a major Bavarian fashion house. Left the message here so others can enjoy. More or less.

Last edited:
Manuel, who married last year a princess S.W.? is he prince Luitpold's son ?

No, Prince Manuel is the eldest son of Prince Leopold "Poldi" and his wife Ursula, née Mohlenkamp. Prince Leopold is himself the son of the late Prince Konstantin (1920-1969) and of his first wife Marie, née Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen; he descends from Prince Adalbert (1828-1875), husband of Infanta Amelia of Spain, and from Prince Ludwig Ferdinand (1859-19499, husband of Infanta Maria de la Paz of Spain and son-in-law of Queen Isabel II of Spain.
Prince Manuel married in 2005 Princess Anna Natasha zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, daughter of Prince Ludwig Ferdinand and his wife Yvonne, née Countess Wachtmeister af Johannishus.

I am confused , Luitpold and Poldi both descend from Crown Prince Rupprecht ??

No. I explain better:
Prince Luitpold (b.1951) is the only son of the late Prince Ludwig (1913-2008; the son of Prince Franz 1875-1957, son of King Ludwig III and brother of CP Rupprecht) and of Princess Irmingard (b.1923, daughter of CP Rupprecht and CPss Antonia, née Pss of Luxembourg). Luitpold is the second in the Line of Succession, after Duke Max in Bavaria; he is the father of the five princes listed above by Stefan.
Prince Leopold (b.1943) is the eldest son of the late Prince Konstantin (1920-1969, himself the son of Prince Adalbert, Dr. Phill. 1886-1970) and his first wife Princess Marie Aldegunde of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. He is the father of Manuel.

Both Luitpold and Leopold are descendants of King Ludwig I:
Ludwig I (1786-1868) - Prinzregent Luitpold (1821-1912) - Ludwig III (1845-1921) - Franz (1875-1957) - Ludwig (1913-2008) - Luitpold (1951)
or
Ludwig I (1786-1868) - Prinzregent Luitpold (1821-1912) - Ludwig III (1845-1921) - CP Rupprecht (1869-1955) - Irmingard (1923) - Luitpold (1951)
and
Ludwig I (1786-1868) - Adalbert (1828-1875) - Ludwig Ferdinand (1859-1949) - Adalbert (1886-1970) - Konstantin (1920-1969) - Leopold "Poldi" (1943)

I am confused , Luitpold and Poldi both descend from Crown Prince Rupprecht ??

No Leopold (Poldi) is descending from King Ludwig I. as closest King.

King Ludwig I. - Adalbert - Ludwig Ferdinand - Adalbert - Konstantin - Poldi

And Luitpold is only descending in the female line through Crown Prince Rupprecht because his father married his first cousin.

through his father:
King Ludwig III. - Franz - Ludwig - Luitpold

through his mother
King Ludwig III. - Rupprecht - Irmingard - Luitpold

Thanks a lot MAfan, so Irmingard(1923) and Ludwig(1913-2008) were cousins.
And Duke Max is ....'s son ?

Yes, Ludwig and Irmingard were first cousins.
Duke Max is the second son of the late Duke Albrecht, himself the son and heir of CP Rupprecht and his first wife Marie Gabrielle (née Duchess in Bavaria and sister of your Queen and avatar Elisabeth of Belgium).

Right MAfan , there is a wonderful picture of Marie Gabrielle and mother on day of her wedding. She was also my Queen Elisabeth's mother.
I never found a picture of Elisabeth and Albert's (our avatars).wedding..

I never saw this picture....hot thanks ,if you find others let me know.

Yes, Ludwig and Irmingard were first cousins.
Duke Max is the second son of the late Duke Albrecht, himself the son and heir of CP Rupprecht and his first wife Marie Gabrielle (née Duchess in Bavaria and sister of your Queen and avatar Elisabeth of Belgium).

And the second wife of Rupprecht was Princess Antonia of Luxemburg. She was a cousin of Marie Gabrielle and Elisabeth as their mothers where sisters.

Yes, they are the Wittelsbachs.

Forgive my ignorance but is there any relationship between the House of Wittelsbach (aka: Bavarian Royal Family) and the Duke of Braganza / Braganca who was exiled to Bavaria -- I believe. Are these two families related at all? Have any idea how? Thanks in advance.

They are related:
Infanta Maria Josè of Portugal married Duke Karl Theodor in Bavaria
Karl Theodor's niece, Princess Elisabeth von Thurn und Taxis, married Infante Miguel, Duke of Braganca.

They are related:
Infanta Maria Josè of Portugal married Duke Karl Theodor in Bavaria
Karl Theodor's niece, Princess Elisabeth von Thurn und Taxis, married Infante Miguel, Duke of Braganca.

And Karl Theodor's and Marie José's daughter Marie Gabriele was the first wife of Crown Prince Ruprecht and is the grandmother of Duke Franz of Bavaria.

Last edited:
And in the same year of the death of her youngest brother Franz Joseph; very very sad for her mother, to lose two children and a grandson in the same months...

I have a question about the Bavarian titles "Prinz von Bayern" and "Herzog in Bayern". Now I am reading the book "Wittelsbacher Schicksale" by Wolfgang Müller. There is a part which explains how the title "Herzog in Bayern" was created. After looking at the wikipedia-entry of Max Emanuel, I saw that he is titled "Prinz von Bayern, Herzog in Bayern". Are the two branches of "Herzog in Bayern" and "Prinz von Bayern" reunited? And if, when has it happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom