Duke Franz and the Royal House of Bavaria 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Prince Manuel of Bavaria (born in 1972) in the line of succession to the Bavarian throne? I'm asking about this because he was born illegitimate and as far as I know, children who were born illegitimate were generally included from acquiring various European countries' thrones even if they were subsequently legitimized, as with French King Louis XIV's various illegitimate sons. I would presume that this principle would have likewise applied in Bavaria, and I haven't actually heard or read anything about the Bavarian laws of succession being changed in order to allow royal children who were born illegitimate to be in line of succession to the defunct Bavarian throne, but maybe I'm missing something here.

Anyway, what exactly are your own thoughts on this? Manuel's father, Prince Leopold of Bavaria, is presumably in the Bavarian line of succession (albeit located rather distantly in it, to my knowledge), but after Leopold, does the succession to the non-existent Bavarian throne go to Manuel or directly to Manuel's younger legitimate brother, Prince Konstantin of Bavaria (born in 1986)--thus completely bypassing Manuel himself due to his illegitimate birth? :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Leopold_of_Bavaria_(born_1943)#Marriage

Thoughts?

The Bavarian royal house has chosen sensible sollutions for the most part since the monarchy was ousted. The father of the present duke was allowed to marry a non-royal lady. The 2nd in line at present is married to a commoner, and their son Ludwig is pushed forward as the next face of the Wittelsbach family. I am sure that if the issue ever popped up Prince Manuel would be considered eligible to inherit & would not be bypassed. As it is we do not know for sure as there are no statements from Duke Franz about the matter, but a scenario as with the duke of Noto would be a probable outcome.

The Bavarian royal house has chosen sensible sollutions for the most part since the monarchy was ousted. The father of the present duke was allowed to marry a non-royal lady. The 2nd in line at present is married to a commoner, and their son Ludwig is pushed forward as the next face of the Wittelsbach family. I am sure that if the issue ever popped up Prince Manuel would be considered eligible to inherit & would not be bypassed. As it is we do not know for sure as there are no statements from Duke Franz about the matter, but a scenario as with the duke of Noto would be a probable outcome.

Re: Duke of Noto: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Pedro,_Duke_of_Calabria

Very interesting! Did Jaime's younger brother Juan and other younger brothers accept the placement of Jaime in the line of succession above themselves?

Last edited:
Juan, Pablo and Pedro are 18, 17 and 12 years old respectively so it's to early for us to know how they feel on the matter. If they have any sense they'll accept status quo.

Makes sense; thank you.

And another question about the former Bavarian royal family: What made the Bavarians less eager to change the succession laws to their defunct throne in comparison to some other former royals, such as the Italians? In Italy, the senior branch of the House of Savoy recently allowed female succession (though this move was certainly NOT recognized by all Italian monarchists!) due to the fact that they were going to run out of males, but in Bavaria, even though Crown Prince Rupprecht's male line is going to end within the next couple of decades or so, there does not appear to be any desire to change the succession laws to the defunct Bavarian throne. Rather, the senior branch of the Bavarian royal family seems perfectly content to allow the male line of Crown Prince Rupprecht's younger brother Franz, Prince of Bavaria ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Franz_of_Bavaria ) to inherit the Bavarian throne after the senior branch of the Bavarian royal family will become extinct in the male line--even though Prince Max, Duke in Bavaria actually does have five daughters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Max,_Duke_in_Bavaria

His older daughter is the current princess of Liechtenstein, she is not living in Bavaria any more for more than 25 years. Just one of them still lives with the parents, because she is unmarried...I think they didn't change the law of succession because none of those wants that title.

His older daughter is the current princess of Liechtenstein, she is not living in Bavaria any more for more than 25 years. Just one of them still lives with the parents, because she is unmarried...I think they didn't change the law of succession because none of those wants that title.

Interesting. I suppose that the two eldest daughters could have been skipped over if they're already married to (either current or former) royalty, but Yeah, if none of his five daughters actually wants this title, then this certainly shows a lot of humility on their part. :)

Sad to see Crown Prince Rupprecht's male line eventually die out given his huge prominence in World War I, but alas, that's life. The male line of Rupprecht's father King Ludwig III of Bavaria will of course continue through Ludwig III's younger son Franz and his (Franz's) son Ludwig and grandson Luitpold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Under the auspices of Tatiana, Princess of Bavaria, a charity concert in support of BesonderHaut (SpecialSkin) und DSK (German Foundation for Child Dermatology) was held in Munich yesterday, October 17:

** gallery **

Leopold, Prince of Bavaria, attended the pre-view of the International Art-Fair Munich yesterday, October 19:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Anna, Princess of Bavarria attended the DKMS Gala 2021 on October 28:

** Pic **

Leopold, Prince of Bavaria, and Ursula, Princess of Bavaria, attended the Bayerischer Sportpreis 2021 (Bavarian Sports Awards ceremony) in Munich yesterday, November 6:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

It's time to close this thread. You can find the new one here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom