The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Right MAfan , there is a wonderful picture of Marie Gabrielle and mother on day of her wedding. She was also my Queen Elisabeth's mother.
I never found a picture of Elisabeth and Albert's (our avatars).wedding..

Old 07-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

And here comes MAfan, dear Maria Olivia:
I've a picture of Elisabeth on her wedding day, 2 october 1900. This is the only one I've seen...
http://i28.tinypic.com/17qtc3.jpg

Old 07-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I never saw this picture....hot thanks ,if you find others let me know.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Yes, Ludwig and Irmingard were first cousins.
Duke Max is the second son of the late Duke Albrecht, himself the son and heir of CP Rupprecht and his first wife Marie Gabrielle (ne Duchess in Bavaria and sister of your Queen and avatar Elisabeth of Belgium).
And the second wife of Rupprecht was Princess Antonia of Luxemburg. She was a cousin of Marie Gabrielle and Elisabeth as their mothers where sisters.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Yes, they are the Wittelsbachs.
Forgive my ignorance but is there any relationship between the House of Wittelsbach (aka: Bavarian Royal Family) and the Duke of Braganza / Braganca who was exiled to Bavaria -- I believe. Are these two families related at all? Have any idea how? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

They are related:
Infanta Maria Jos of Portugal married Duke Karl Theodor in Bavaria
Karl Theodor's niece, Princess Elisabeth von Thurn und Taxis, married Infante Miguel, Duke of Braganca.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
They are related:
Infanta Maria Jos of Portugal married Duke Karl Theodor in Bavaria
Karl Theodor's niece, Princess Elisabeth von Thurn und Taxis, married Infante Miguel, Duke of Braganca.
And karl Theodor's and Marie Jos's daughter Marie GAbriele was the first wife of Crown Prince Ruprecht and is the grandmother of Duke Franz of Bavaria.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Nobility

Here are some photographs of Marie-Gabrielle with her children -- all of whom (except Albrecht) died in childhood. Marie-Gabrielle herself died young, at age 34 -- four months after little Rudolf succumbed to diabetes at age 3. Very sad.

Princess Marie Gabrielle with her children pictures from history photos on webshots
Old 07-23-2009, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

And in the same year of the death of her youngest brother Franz Joseph; very very sad for her mother, to lose two children and a grandson in the same months...
Old 07-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have a question about the Bavarian titles "Prinz von Bayern" and "Herzog in Bayern". Now I am reading the book "Wittelsbacher Schicksale" by Wolfgang Mller. There is a part which explains how the title "Herzog in Bayern" was created. After looking at the wikipedia-entry of Max Emanuel, I saw that he is titled "Prinz von Bayern, Herzog in Bayern". Are the two branches of "Herzog in Bayern" and "Prinz von Bayern" reunited? And if, when has it happened?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Administrator

In 1965 Duke Ludwig Wilhelm adopted Prince Max Emanuel who became Head of the Ducal Line in 1973.

The former Ducal Line is as follows:

Maximilian, Duke in Bavaria (1808-1888) > Karl Theodor, Duke in Bavaria (1839-1909) > Ludwig Wilhelm, Duke in Bavaria (1884-1968)
Maximilian, Duke in Bavaria (1808-1888) > Maximilian > Luitpold, Duke in Bavaria (1890-1973)

Max Emanuel is the second son of the late Albrecht, Duke of Bavaria and Head of the Royal House.
A similar situation will arise again as Duke Max Emanuel has no sons. At some stage, if it hasn't already been decided, a new heir to the Ducal Line will presumably be named.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
And in the same year of the death of her youngest brother Franz Joseph; very very sad for her mother, to lose two children and a grandson in the same months...
Oh, MAfan, I had not realized this, but of course you are right. I had thought about poor Crown Prince Rupprecht, who lost his wife and three children in the course of a few years... and little Albrecht, who lost his mother and all three of his siblings. These early losses must have shaped him, in one way or another, for the rest of his life.

But, as a mother, I cannot imagine losing two children (and a grandchild) within the same year. For most of us, these would be terrible, devastating losses.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
I have a question about the Bavarian titles "Prinz von Bayern" and "Herzog in Bayern". Now I am reading the book "Wittelsbacher Schicksale" by Wolfgang Mller. There is a part which explains how the title "Herzog in Bayern" was created. After looking at the wikipedia-entry of Max Emanuel, I saw that he is titled "Prinz von Bayern, Herzog in Bayern". Are the two branches of "Herzog in Bayern" and "Prinz von Bayern" reunited? And if, when has it happened?
Because there where no male heirs in the Ducal line the last Duke in Bavaria, Duke Ludwig Wilhelm adopted Prince Max Emanuel of Bavaria, (second son of the Head of the Royal line, Duke Albrecht) who is after common law now Duke in Bavaria but keeps the title Prince of Bavaria according to the House Law.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-26-2009, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Max and Elisabeth in Bayern (pics 1-3) and Prince Leopold
'Poldi' von Bayern and wife Ursula (pic 4) attend the 'Salzburg
Festival Opening' with opera Theodora at Felsenreitschule on
July 25, 2009 in Salzburg, Austria.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
Old 07-26-2009, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Thumbs down

Is Leopold wearing a green jacket???
Old 07-26-2009, 08:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

perhaps an austrian/south german look for men
Old 07-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Gentry

Alice of Bavaria and Lukas of Auersperg aren't married yet :) The wedding will take place on August 29.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Ursula of Bavaria and Duchess Elisabeth in Bavaria attended a summerparty of Michael Kfer in Munich.

Eine Nacht von Juli bis September - Bild 1 - sueddeutsche.de
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalps09 View Post
Alice of Bavaria and Lukas of Auersperg aren't married yet :) The wedding will take place on August 29.
Thanks! Got confused ... I mixed it up with the Montegelas wedding

Old 07-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatitudo View Post
Thanks! Got confused ... I mixed it up with the Montegelas wedding
Was there a Montgelas Wedding recently?

Royal Travel and Events

Tags
bavaria, ritter von kahr