The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 04:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by ILOVEABBA@Nov 1st, 2003 - 1:54 pm
HRH PRINCE HEINRICH OF HANOVER YOUNGER OF PRINCE ERNEST AUGUST. HE IS ALSO A PRINCE OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND, AS ARE ALL THE HANOVERS BEING DESCENDED FROM KING GEORGE 111.
HRH PRINCE HEINRICH OF HANOVER YOUNGER OF PRINCE ERNEST AUGUST. HE IS ALSO A PRINCE OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND, AS ARE ALL THE HANOVERS BEING DESCENDED FROM KING GEORGE 111.

Actually he isn't a Prince of GB & Ireland. The law was changed in 1917. Since then the title of Prince/ss of GB & (Northern) Ireland has been limited to the children and grandchildren of a monarch in the male line. The Hanovers do not meet this criteria. Thus, although the Hanovers continue using the old title, it, like their Hanover title, is a title of pretension. Besides, there Ireland (as oppposed to Northern Ireland) is now a republic. Her Majesty the Queen simply indulges them.

Old 11-02-2003, 05:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by ILOVEABBA@Oct 31st, 2003 - 4:44 am
HRH PRINCESS SASKIA OF HANOVER (SHE IS MARRIED TO A BRITISH NOBLEMAN THE COUPLE HAVE TWO SONS.)
She is married to Michael Nayler-Leyland. He isn't a nobelmen. He has no title. Only the holder of a title (Duke, Marquis, Earl, Viscount, Baron etc.) is noble. Other members of the family are aristocrats. However, I don't even think he is of aristocratic background.

Old 11-02-2003, 07:09 AM
Commoner

Michael Nayler-Leyland is the son of a Baronet i reckon that makes him noble! Plus the family has married well, into numerous other noble families, for instance, i think he is distantly descended from the Dukes of Norfolk. Lets just say he isnt not noble. if i had his background and lineage well i would`nt complain

the Hannovers, i remember reading somewhere that when George v changed the rules of title in 1917 he exempted his cousins the Hannovers and the only title they lost was that of the Dukedom of Cumberland, which they can apply to have restored.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Michael Nayler-Leyland is the son of a Baronet i reckon that makes him noble! Plus the family has married well, into numerous other noble families, for instance, i think he is distantly descended from the Dukes of Norfolk.  Lets  just say he isnt not noble.  if i had his background and lineage well i would`nt complain
But you are wrong to say that "he isn't not noble", because the fact of the matter is that he is_not_noble. Only the holder of the title is noble. All other members of the family are aristocrats.

Quote:
the Hannovers, i remember reading somewhere that when George v changed the rules of title in 1917 he exempted his cousins the Hannovers and the only title they lost was that of the Dukedom of Cumberland, which they can apply to have restored.
Well you read wrong. The 1917 Royal Patent applied to everyone. Not only would it have been poltically impossible for the King to make an exception for his Hanoverian relatives (given the time and the events that led to the Royal Warrant in the first place), but no one can be exempt from a law unless there is a clause in the Royal Warrant (which there wasn't) or if further letters patent issued explicitly stating so. This was not done either.

Those relatives that were still livining in Britain even had to give up their German titles and assume British ones (the Battenburgs, the Tecks, the Schleswig Holstiens etc.). Besides, if you think about it, common sense dictates that if they lost their Dukedom, which was a lesser title, they would have also lost their higher princely title. They can apply to have the Cumberland title restored, but is unlikely.

In 1864 letters patent were issued that "all the descendants in the male
line of the sovereign were styled Prince/Princess of Great Britain, the children
and children of sons being also styled "Royal Highness", while
great-grandchildren in the male line where styled "Highness" (Burkes Peerage). In 1914 further letters patent were issued stating that the then reigning Duke of Brunswick (of Hanover) and any subsequent children were entitled to the title of Prince/ss of Great Britain and Ireland with the sytle of Highness. Prince George and Princess Frederika (later Queen of Greece) were thus also Prince & Princess of GB & I. However these royal pattents were superceded by the aforementioned Royal Warrant of 1917. All future Hanovers would not be *legally* entitled to the GB & I title. Princess Frederika was the last one.

In 1931 Ernst August, Duke of Brunswick, issued a decree stating that Princes/ss of the Hanoverian House were entitled to bear the title of Prince of Great Britain and Ireland with the style of "Royal Highness". However, as Burkes Peerage states, such a decree has no legal authority in Great Britain (or in Germany, which is a republic). The Hanover family simply uses the GB & I title as part of their family history, just like they use the Hanover title. The British Royal family simply indulges them. Besides, their is little the Queen can do about it.

Both titles have no legal standing in Germany (because it is a republic, after all) or Britain. In fact, in Germany, titles are not legal per se, except as part of a lsurname. Thus Furst von Hanover is part of a surname.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Courtier

I forgot to add that the 1931 decree isssued was by the Duke of Brunswick because he felt that as the senior male line representative of George III, his family was entitled to it. Again, I reiterate, the decree has no legal standing whatsoever. The family seized being Princes and Princesses of GB & Ireland in 1917 & the head of the house seized being Duke of Cumberland in 1919.

Sean
Old 11-02-2003, 01:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Sean.~  Posted: Nov 2nd, 2003 - 12:49 pm

Those relatives that were still livining in Britain even had to give up their German titles and assume British ones (the Battenburgs, the Tecks, the Schleswig Holstiens
I know the
- Battenberg became "Mountbatten"

but what new names did the "Tecks" and "Schleswig Holsteins" adopt for themselves ?
Old 11-02-2003, 02:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I know the
- Battenberg became "Mountbatten"

but what new names did the "Tecks" and "Schleswig Holsteins" adopt for themselves ?
Not all of the Battenbergs became Mountbatten. The elder son of Princess Beatrice (and brother of Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain) became the Marquis of Carisbrooke.

One of the Teck Brothers became Duke of Cambridge while the other became Earl of Athlone (husband of Princess Alice)

The Schleswig Holstein sisters (daughters of Princess Helena) simply became Princesses of nothing.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Sean.~  Posted: Nov 2nd, 2003 - 1:10 pm

Not all of the Battenbergs became Mountbatten. The elder son of Princess Beatrice (and brother of Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain) became the Marquis of Carisbrooke.
That would presume the title was vacant ? Or was it a new title ?

Quote:
One of the Teck Brothers became Duke of Cambridge while the other became Earl of Athlone (husband of Princess Alice)
Duke of Cambridge ... new title ?

Quote:
The Schleswig Holstein sisters (daughters of Princess Helena) simply became Princesses of nothing.
How are these ladies famous ?
Old 11-02-2003, 05:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
That would presume the title was vacant ? Or was it a new title ?
New title, IIRC.

Quote:
Duke of Cambridge ... new title?
Vacant title. The last holder was Queen Victoria's first cousin & Queen Mary's maternal uncle.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. They weren't famous per se. One of them, Marie Louise, was married to Prince Aribert of Anhalt for a very short time. However, that marriage was soon dissolved. There were/are rumours about the Prince's sexuality. She wrote a book titled My Memories of Six reigns (Victoria, Edward, George, Edward, George, and Elizabeth). Her Indian style saphire and diamond tiara is today worn by the Duchess of Gloucester. Anyay, they weren't given British titles because titles of nobility weren't handed out to women then & they didn't have any children either. I guess the King just figured it would be best to let them keep the title of Princess, albiet they weren't Princesses of anywere (at least legally) after 1917.

Sean
Old 11-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Royal Highness

Sean :

Thanks for your answers.

Christian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. They weren't famous per se. One of them, Marie Louise, was married to Prince Aribert of Anhalt for a very short time. However, that marriage was soon dissolved. There were/are rumours about the Prince's sexuality. ..... Anyay, they weren't given British titles because titles of nobility weren't handed out to women then ... I guess the King just figured it would be best to let them keep the title of Princess
It was ... just that I never heard of these Princesses before ..... :) and was wondering how they figured in the scheme of things and so on.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:18 PM
Nobility

wedding of countess of bismarck-schoenhausen

Old 11-04-2003, 05:19 PM
Nobility

here the couple in pop-art

http://worldroots.clicktron.com/brigitte/g...marck1976-6.jpg
Old 11-04-2003, 05:22 PM
Nobility

Princess Dorothea
von Loewenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg *1966

Old 11-04-2003, 05:23 PM