Royal Families of Germany: News & Photos 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have recently read a biography- autobiography i believe, on princess tatiana metternich winneburg she was from a russian princely family who escaped the revolution and she married during the early part of WW2 she had to pass tests set by the nazis to prove she was racially pure and so able to marry an (aryan) german prince. the book is in english and is very readable . the princess seems like a very nice person and she was very beautiful when she was young i hope to post a picture of her at a later date. she was a babe! :flower:

Her sister's book is very good, it's her diary she wrote during WWII.
Berlin Diaries by Marie Vassilchikov. Alot about Tatiana & Paul Metternich in it.

hessenwedding11.jpg

Princess Tatjana von Metternich-Winneburg and Countess Jenny von der Schulenburg

hessenwedding12.jpg

Prince Leopold, Princess Stephanie and Prince Bernhard von Baden

hessenwedding13.jpg

Count Douglas and Prince Michael von Baden

source - nettyroyal

Last edited by a moderator:
hessenwedding14.jpg

Duchess Marie and Duke Philipp von Württemberg

hessenwedding15.jpg

Princess Benedikte of Denmark, Princess Nathalie and Princess Alexandra zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Count Jefferson-Friedrich von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth

hessenwedding17.jpg

Princess Benedikte of Denmark and Princess Nathalie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Duchess Marie-Alix zu Schleswig-Holstein

hessenwedding18.jpg

Prince Gustav zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Princess Benedikte of Denmark, Princess Nathalie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Princess Alexandra zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Count Jefferson-Friedrich von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth

source - nettyroyal

hessenwedding21.jpg

Princess Alexandra von Hannover

hessenwedding22.jpg

Princess Maria and Prince Stephan zur Lippe

hessenwedding24.jpg

Princess Tatiana von Hessen, Landgraf Moritz von Hessen, Freiin Adelheid von der Leyen zu Bloemersheim and partner

hessenwedding25.jpg

Princess Gloria von Thurn und Taxis with daughters Elisabeth and Maria Theresia

source - nettyroyal

Herr Graf,

1.) where do you find all these splendid pictures ?
2.) you must have huge portfolio !
3.) Thank you for showing the names of the people in the pictures !
4.) Are most of these pictures that you have shown up to now, so to speak, west German nobility ? like in comparison to east German nobility ?

mariatheresia.jpg

HSH Princess Maria Theresia von Thurn und Taxis

nathalie.jpg

HSH Princess Nathalie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg

bayern.jpg

From the left to the right: Helene, Elizabeth , Duchess Elizabeth, Duke Max Emanuel and Maria Anna

source - nettyroyal

elisabeththurnundtaxis.jpg

HSH Princess Elisabeth von Thurn und Taxis

viktorialuise.jpg

Viktoria Luise Prinzessin von Preussen

stephaniescg.jpg

HH Princess Stephanie von Saxe-Coburg und Gotha

alexanderscg.jpg

HH Prince Alexander von Saxe-Coburg und Gotha, Duke von Saxony

source - nettyroyal

hubertusscg.jpg

HH Prince Hubertus von Saxe-Coburg und Gotha, Duke von Saxony

philipp.jpg

HH Prince Philipp von Hessen

albertthurnundtaxis.jpg

HSH Albert, 12th Prince von Thurn und Taxis

source - nettyroyal

HRH The Duchess of Connaught Pcs Margaret of Prussia

Attachments

• dela_duchess_ofconnaught.jpg
    dela_duchess_ofconnaught.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 5,097
Archduchess Sophie of Austria - Hungary

Attachments

• archduchesssophie.jpg
    archduchesssophie.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 5,103
HRH Princess Beatrice of Prussia, born 1981, grand daughter of Lady Brigid Guinness. of the Earls Of Iveagh (and Babe!)

Attachments

• beatriceofprussia3.jpg
    beatriceofprussia3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 6,631
HRH PRINCESS SASKIA OF HANOVER (SHE IS MARRIED TO A BRITISH NOBLEMAN THE COUPLE HAVE TWO SONS.)

Attachments

• hanover_saskia3.jpg
    hanover_saskia3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 5,383
HSH PRINCESS TATIANA METTERNICH

Attachments

• hamilton_pcs_tatiana.jpg
    hamilton_pcs_tatiana.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 5,258
HRH PRINCE HEINRICH OF HANOVER YOUNGER OF PRINCE ERNEST AUGUST. HE IS ALSO A PRINCE OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND, AS ARE ALL THE HANOVERS BEING DESCENDED FROM KING GEORGE 111. PRINCE HEINRICH IS MARRIED TO PRINCESS THRYA (NEE VON WESTERHAGEN) SOME REPORTS SAY THEY HAVE TWO CHILDREN A BOY AND A GIRL. PRINCE HEINRICH ALSO HAS A SON FROM A PREVIOUS RELATION SHIP.

Attachments

• hanover_pc_heinrich.jpg
    hanover_pc_heinrich.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 5,098
ILOVEABBA  Posted: Nov 1st, 2003 - 1:54 pm

HRH PRINCE HEINRICH OF HANOVER YOUNGER OF PRINCE ERNEST AUGUST ... IS MARRIED TO PRINCESS THRYA (NEE VON WESTERHAGEN) SOME REPORTS SAY THEY HAVE TWO CHILDREN A BOY AND A GIRL. PRINCE HEINRICH ALSO HAS A SON FROM A PREVIOUS RELATION SHIP.

I know about the previous relationship ... I gather Prince Heinrich is the administrator for their webpage: www.welfen.de , and saw a picture once of Princess Jutta, which I think she is also called.

AN EXCELLENT PICTURE OF THE ROYAL FAMILY OF WURTEMBURG.

Attachments

• wurtemburg3.jpg
    wurtemburg3.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 5,775
Any pictures of the current members (and their families) of the Welfen Hannovers ?

- Princess Marie. b 1952
- Prince Ernst August. b 1954
- Prince Ludwig Rudolph b 1955 - d 1988
- Princess Olga. b 1958
- Princess Alexandra. b 1959
- Prince Heinrich. b 1961

does anyone know anything about albert von thurn und taxis and his family; recent history?

Originally posted by ILOVEABBA@Nov 1st, 2003 - 1:54 pm
HRH PRINCE HEINRICH OF HANOVER YOUNGER OF PRINCE ERNEST AUGUST. HE IS ALSO A PRINCE OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND, AS ARE ALL THE HANOVERS BEING DESCENDED FROM KING GEORGE 111.

HRH PRINCE HEINRICH OF HANOVER YOUNGER OF PRINCE ERNEST AUGUST. HE IS ALSO A PRINCE OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND, AS ARE ALL THE HANOVERS BEING DESCENDED FROM KING GEORGE 111.

Actually he isn't a Prince of GB & Ireland. The law was changed in 1917. Since then the title of Prince/ss of GB & (Northern) Ireland has been limited to the children and grandchildren of a monarch in the male line. The Hanovers do not meet this criteria. Thus, although the Hanovers continue using the old title, it, like their Hanover title, is a title of pretension. Besides, there Ireland (as oppposed to Northern Ireland) is now a republic. Her Majesty the Queen simply indulges them.

Originally posted by ILOVEABBA@Oct 31st, 2003 - 4:44 am
HRH PRINCESS SASKIA OF HANOVER (SHE IS MARRIED TO A BRITISH NOBLEMAN THE COUPLE HAVE TWO SONS.)
She is married to Michael Nayler-Leyland. He isn't a nobelmen. He has no title. Only the holder of a title (Duke, Marquis, Earl, Viscount, Baron etc.) is noble. Other members of the family are aristocrats. However, I don't even think he is of aristocratic background.

Michael Nayler-Leyland is the son of a Baronet i reckon that makes him noble! Plus the family has married well, into numerous other noble families, for instance, i think he is distantly descended from the Dukes of Norfolk. Lets just say he isnt not noble. if i had his background and lineage well i would`nt complain ;)

the Hannovers, i remember reading somewhere that when George v changed the rules of title in 1917 he exempted his cousins the Hannovers and the only title they lost was that of the Dukedom of Cumberland, which they can apply to have restored.

Michael Nayler-Leyland is the son of a Baronet i reckon that makes him noble! Plus the family has married well, into numerous other noble families, for instance, i think he is distantly descended from the Dukes of Norfolk.  Lets  just say he isnt not noble.  if i had his background and lineage well i would`nt complain ;)

But you are wrong to say that "he isn't not noble", because the fact of the matter is that he is_not_noble. Only the holder of the title is noble. All other members of the family are aristocrats.

the Hannovers, i remember reading somewhere that when George v changed the rules of title in 1917 he exempted his cousins the Hannovers and the only title they lost was that of the Dukedom of Cumberland, which they can apply to have restored.

Well you read wrong. The 1917 Royal Patent applied to everyone. Not only would it have been poltically impossible for the King to make an exception for his Hanoverian relatives (given the time and the events that led to the Royal Warrant in the first place), but no one can be exempt from a law unless there is a clause in the Royal Warrant (which there wasn't) or if further letters patent issued explicitly stating so. This was not done either.

Those relatives that were still livining in Britain even had to give up their German titles and assume British ones (the Battenburgs, the Tecks, the Schleswig Holstiens etc.). Besides, if you think about it, common sense dictates that if they lost their Dukedom, which was a lesser title, they would have also lost their higher princely title. They can apply to have the Cumberland title restored, but is unlikely.

In 1864 letters patent were issued that "all the descendants in the male
line of the sovereign were styled Prince/Princess of Great Britain, the children
and children of sons being also styled "Royal Highness", while
great-grandchildren in the male line where styled "Highness" (Burkes Peerage). In 1914 further letters patent were issued stating that the then reigning Duke of Brunswick (of Hanover) and any subsequent children were entitled to the title of Prince/ss of Great Britain and Ireland with the sytle of Highness. Prince George and Princess Frederika (later Queen of Greece) were thus also Prince & Princess of GB & I. However these royal pattents were superceded by the aforementioned Royal Warrant of 1917. All future Hanovers would not be *legally* entitled to the GB & I title. Princess Frederika was the last one.

In 1931 Ernst August, Duke of Brunswick, issued a decree stating that Princes/ss of the Hanoverian House were entitled to bear the title of Prince of Great Britain and Ireland with the style of "Royal Highness". However, as Burkes Peerage states, such a decree has no legal authority in Great Britain (or in Germany, which is a republic). The Hanover family simply uses the GB & I title as part of their family history, just like they use the Hanover title. The British Royal family simply indulges them. Besides, their is little the Queen can do about it.

Both titles have no legal standing in Germany (because it is a republic, after all) or Britain. In fact, in Germany, titles are not legal per se, except as part of a lsurname. Thus Furst von Hanover is part of a surname.

I forgot to add that the 1931 decree isssued was by the Duke of Brunswick because he felt that as the senior male line representative of George III, his family was entitled to it. Again, I reiterate, the decree has no legal standing whatsoever. The family seized being Princes and Princesses of GB & Ireland in 1917 & the head of the house seized being Duke of Cumberland in 1919.

Sean

Sean.~  Posted: Nov 2nd, 2003 - 12:49 pm

Those relatives that were still livining in Britain even had to give up their German titles and assume British ones (the Battenburgs, the Tecks, the Schleswig Holstiens

I know the
- Battenberg became "Mountbatten"

but what new names did the "Tecks" and "Schleswig Holsteins" adopt for themselves ?

I know the
- Battenberg became "Mountbatten"

but what new names did the "Tecks" and "Schleswig Holsteins" adopt for themselves ?

Not all of the Battenbergs became Mountbatten. The elder son of Princess Beatrice (and brother of Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain) became the Marquis of Carisbrooke.

One of the Teck Brothers became Duke of Cambridge while the other became Earl of Athlone (husband of Princess Alice)

The Schleswig Holstein sisters (daughters of Princess Helena) simply became Princesses of nothing.

Sean.~  Posted: Nov 2nd, 2003 - 1:10 pm

Not all of the Battenbergs became Mountbatten. The elder son of Princess Beatrice (and brother of Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain) became the Marquis of Carisbrooke.

That would presume the title was vacant ? Or was it a new title ?

One of the Teck Brothers became Duke of Cambridge while the other became Earl of Athlone (husband of Princess Alice)

Duke of Cambridge ... new title ?

The Schleswig Holstein sisters (daughters of Princess Helena) simply became Princesses of nothing.

How are these ladies famous ?

That would presume the title was vacant ? Or was it a new title ?

New title, IIRC.

Duke of Cambridge ... new title?

Vacant title. The last holder was Queen Victoria's first cousin & Queen Mary's maternal uncle.

I'm not sure what you mean. They weren't famous per se. One of them, Marie Louise, was married to Prince Aribert of Anhalt for a very short time. However, that marriage was soon dissolved. There were/are rumours about the Prince's sexuality. She wrote a book titled My Memories of Six reigns (Victoria, Edward, George, Edward, George, and Elizabeth). Her Indian style saphire and diamond tiara is today worn by the Duchess of Gloucester. Anyay, they weren't given British titles because titles of nobility weren't handed out to women then & they didn't have any children either. I guess the King just figured it would be best to let them keep the title of Princess, albiet they weren't Princesses of anywere (at least legally) after 1917.

Sean

Sean :

Thanks for your answers.

Christian

I'm not sure what you mean. They weren't famous per se. One of them, Marie Louise, was married to Prince Aribert of Anhalt for a very short time. However, that marriage was soon dissolved. There were/are rumours about the Prince's sexuality. ..... Anyay, they weren't given British titles because titles of nobility weren't handed out to women then ... I guess the King just figured it would be best to let them keep the title of Princess

It was ... just that I never heard of these Princesses before ..... :) and was wondering how they figured in the scheme of things and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom