Princely Houses of Schwarzburg

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Schwarzburg_Ru-Wappen.jpg

Arms of the Princely Houses of Schwarzburg

~ ¤ ~

--------

From wikipedia:

The House of Schwarzburg was one of the oldest noble families of Thuringia, until its extinction in 1971 with the death of Prince Friedrich Günther. Reigning over the County of Schwarzburg and founded by Sizzo I of Schwarzburg (died 1160), the family split in the 16th century into the lines of Schwarzburg-Sondershausen and Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, which were not reunified until 1909.

Last edited:
Who is the current ''Fuerst' of the Princely family?

The last Head of the Princely House was Friedrich Günther (II) (1901-1971).
From March 1938 until his divorce in November 1938 he was married to Princess Sophie of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach.
The Prince spent some time in a Nazi concentration camp.
On his death in 1971 the Princely House of Schwarzburg became extinct in the male line. The last surviving member of the family was Friedrich Günther's sister Princess Marie Antoinette, Countess zu Solms-Wildenfels, who died in 1984.

Last edited:
Thanks all. It's a shame. Our ancestors have some history with Guenther K(C)arl in the mid-1800s (actually also Joseph II...HREin the late 1700's) and it would have been interesting to have known if an existing descendant was around. Who has inherited their properties and achives?

When the male line dies out so does the house according to the laws of the house.
Yes it is sad but that is what happen the last head of the house did not married or
had any children.I still wonder if his sister which did marry have any childeren? hmm.

Yes Next Star, I guess that's the question. I wonder who the decendants are even after the male lines of the house had gone 'extinct'...

:previous:
From Wiki

Death and succession

Following the death in 1971 of Prince Friedrich Günther in Munich the House of Schwarzburg became extinct. However the Schwarzburg principalities operated under Semi-Salic primogeniture which means that in the event of the extinction of all male dynasts, as happened with the death of Prince Friedrich Günther, females can inherit. Therefore if Semi-Salic law is applied then the current heir to the principalities of Schwarzburg is Count Friedrich Magnus zu Solms-Wildenfels (born 1927) the son of Princess Marie Antoinette of Schwarzburg (1898-1984), sister of Prince Friedrich Günther.

Alternatively another claimant could be Prince Philip zu Stolberg-Wernigerode (born 1967). Prince Philip's claim is based on a pact made by Count Heinrich of Schwarzburg and his son whereby if his male line became extinct then Count Botho of Stolberg and the Counts of Hohenstein should share the majority of his territories with the Counts of Stolberg inheriting Kelbra and Heringen alone and not share them with the Counts of Hohenstein. With the extinction of the House of Hohenstein the house's of Schwarzburg and Stolberg renewed the pact on January 28 1594. Therefore if the pact is still valid then Prince Philip as senior male line descendant of Count Botho could be seen as the rightful heir.

Thanks Warren. That's wonderful information and news!

Christian Gunther III (Prince from 1758 to 1794) used the money he saved to construct some important buildings.
He added the Blue Hall to the west wing of Sonderhausen Palace.

Last edited:
:previous:
From Wiki

Death and succession

Following the death in 1971 of Prince Friedrich Günther in Munich the House of Schwarzburg became extinct. However the Schwarzburg principalities operated under Semi-Salic primogeniture which means that in the event of the extinction of all male dynasts, as happened with the death of Prince Friedrich Günther, females can inherit. Therefore if Semi-Salic law is applied then the current heir to the principalities of Schwarzburg is Count Friedrich Magnus zu Solms-Wildenfels (born 1927) the son of Princess Marie Antoinette of Schwarzburg (1898-1984), sister of Prince Friedrich Günther.

Alternatively another claimant could be Prince Philip zu Stolberg-Wernigerode (born 1967). Prince Philip's claim is based on a pact made by Count Heinrich of Schwarzburg and his son whereby if his male line became extinct then Count Botho of Stolberg and the Counts of Hohenstein should share the majority of his territories with the Counts of Stolberg inheriting Kelbra and Heringen alone and not share them with the Counts of Hohenstein. With the extinction of the House of Hohenstein the house's of Schwarzburg and Stolberg renewed the pact on January 28 1594. Therefore if the pact is still valid then Prince Philip as senior male line descendant of Count Botho could be seen as the rightful heir.

I was surprised to learn that Prince Friedrich Gunther adopted a certain Hans-Peter Fuhrmann as his son and dynastic heir in 1969 about 18 months before he died. I have searched the Net in vain to find out more information about this Hans-Peter Furhmann, and his son Michael Furhmann -Schwarzburg. I find it hard to believe that the Fuhrmanns were unrelated to Prince Friedrich Gunther, but if they are related, then how? Was Hans-Peter a love child of Friedrich Gunther? He was born just a few months after the unexpected divorce of Friedrich from his wife Sophie of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach. Was his conception the cause of their marriage break-up, or was it her Nazi politics? Some royalty writers have suggested that one of the royal couple may have been gay, since neither ever remarried. It is also interesting to observe that none of the German princes who were imprisoned by the Gestapo ever reproduced, including the Saxon royals. Were they "doctored" by the Gestapo, so that they could not procreate?? This must be a very sensitive subject among the German royal & princely houses. Any information would be welcome.

I was surprised to learn that Prince Friedrich Gunther adopted a certain Hans-Peter Fuhrmann as his son and dynastic heir in 1969 about 18 months before he died. I have searched the Net in vain to find out more information about this Hans-Peter Furhmann, and his son Michael Furhmann -Schwarzburg. I find it hard to believe that the Fuhrmanns were unrelated to Prince Friedrich Gunther, but if they are related, then how? Was Hans-Peter a love child of Friedrich Gunther? He was born just a few months after the unexpected divorce of Friedrich from his wife Sophie of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach. Was his conception the cause of their marriage break-up, or was it her Nazi politics? Some royalty writers have suggested that one of the royal couple may have been gay, since neither ever remarried. It is also interesting to observe that none of the German princes who were imprisoned by the Gestapo ever reproduced, including the Saxon royals. Were they "doctored" by the Gestapo, so that they could not procreate?? This must be a very sensitive subject among the German royal & princely houses. Any information would be welcome.

Unfortunately and regrettably the quote you used was by our dearly missed late Warren.Indeed,very sensitive.

Oh my goodness... Warren has died??! This is truly saddening. I haven't been on the forums for a little while; when did it happen?

It's odd how we can come to feel that we know people through this medium... or at least have a sense of them. I always respected and liked Warren's posts. My condolences to his family and all those who mourn him.

I just saw the thread on his death and see that he died on 10 June 2015. What a lovely photo... he looked just as I imagined him. Intelligent and kind.

Dissolved marriage of Günther Friedrich Carl II

Prince (Fürst) Günther Friedrich Carl II of Schwarzburg-Sondershausen (1801-1889) was married secondly to Princess Mathilde of Hohenlohe-Oehringen (1814-1888). They divorced on May 5, 1852. Exactly where/what city did that dissolvement take place?

The current state of the house of Schwarzburg

How I can receive any information about history and current heirs of this dynasty?

According to Wikipedia, he lives in Esslingen am Neckar and keeps hermit-like life. Also, there is an adopted prince of Schwarzburg in some genealogical tables. What do you think about the perspectives of this dynasty?

According to Wikipedia, he lives in Esslingen am Neckar and keeps hermit-like life. Also, there is an adopted prince of Schwarzburg in some genealogical tables. What do you think about the perspectives of this dynasty?

Which adopted prince?

As you have read in wikipedia, current Heir under Semi-Salic law is Count Friedrich Magnus zu Solms-Wildenfels who lives there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solms-Wildenfels

Back
Top Bottom