Princely Houses of Sayn-Wittgenstein 1: Ending 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heu... in the Danish forum? Thanks for the link but Gustav zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg is no Danish royal, no Danish noble, not even a Danish citizen... No wonder I could not find a thread about him here...

:whistling:

Heu... in the Danish forum? Thanks for the link but Gustav zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg is no Danish royal, no Danish noble, not even a Danish citizen... No wonder I could not find a thread about him here...

:whistling:

Sister Nathalie is riding for Denmark; has she changed her nationality then?

On december 13th Mamarazza aka Fürstin Marianne of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn opened an exposition / homage of her photography work on the occassion of her 95th birthday in the Werkhallen in Bonn.

An item about the exposition with a short interview with the princess, from WDR:
Starfotografin wird 95 : Lokalzeit aus Bonn vom 16.12.2014 - WDR MEDIATHEK
They show a great picture of Queen Giovanna of Bulgaria btw.

Some photos from Seeger:

Photo I, Photo II, Photo III, Photo IV.

The exposition will last until January 31st.
Ausstellungen | WERKHALLEN | OBERMANN | BURKHARD

Last edited:
From the facebook page of Schloss Sayn, a photo of the newborn Princess Maria Ladislaja Verena Gabriela Antonia of Sayn Wittgenstein Sayn.

https://www.facebook.com/schlosssay...0471668458161/379317968906862/?type=1&theater

The princess was born on feb. 13th in Salzburg and is the daughter of Prince Louis of Sayn W S and his wife Philippa, nee Css Spannocchi. The couple already has a son, Vincenz, that was born in 2012.

courtesy: ATR

Peter zu Sayn-Wittgenstein, his wife Sunnyi Melles and their son Constantin zu Sayn-Wittgenstein attended the PEOPLE Magazine Germany launch party in Berlin on March 17:

** Pic **

Yesterday WDR did broadcast a two-part documentary about the immense Forstbetrieb (Forestry) the Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg owns in North-Rhine Westphalia. It was most interesting and both Prince Richard as well Prince Gustav came over as very easy approachable, down-to-earth landowners with a sharp eye for business and nature.

The father of Prince Richard, known for his (in)famous Will in which he stipulated that the heir to the immense patrimonium has to marry with a noble and "aryan" lady is sometimes painted down as a nazi, here or there on diverse forums. It was interesting to know that, in contrary to many royal and noble families in Germany and Austria, the princes zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg were NO member of any Nazi-organization. As a Captain in the army, Prince Gustav Albrecht however was forced to fight in WWII (and died in battle in 1944, at the Russian front).

In the documentary it was told that Prince Gustav Albrecht bought the jewish cemeteries located in the Sayn and Wittgenstein lands, so that these became private properties of the princely house. With that the Prince tried to prevent the Nazis to destroy these cemeteries, as they have done in other cities in Germany. The move by the Prince was succesful: the Nazis left the private properties of a German Prince and officer in the Wehrmacht intact...

Princess Manni has such an exuberant personality, it is always a pleasure to see her.

Some readers may not know that Sunnyi Melles is the wife of Manni's youngest son Prince Peter. She also is a well-known actress, so that's probably why she's not refered to as Princess Sunnyi.

Princess Manni has such an exuberant personality, it is always a pleasure to see her.

Some readers may not know that Sunnyi Melles is the wife of Manni's youngest son Prince Peter. She also is a well-known actress, so that's probably why she's not refered to as Princess Sunnyi.

Thanks Tilia for the explanations. For me indeed all this persons is totally unknown :)

Is he the future Head of the House or the unmarried Gustav ?

The unmarried Gustav is the future Head of the House of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, which is one of the two branches of the House of Sayn (the other is the house of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn).

No, maria-olivia, he is from the other family branch, the Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn family. I think the two branches divided in the early 18th century and their common ancestor was Count Ludwig Franz von Sayn-Wittgenstein-Ludwigsburg, born in 1694.

Prince Peter also is the youngest son of Fürst Ludwig zu SWS and his wife Fürstin Marianne. She is quite a character with the nick-name Manni, some also call her Mamarazza because she is an excellant and passionate photographer. The head of the house Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn is Prince Peter's older brother, Fürst Alexander, who is married to Countess Gabriela von Schönborn-Wiesentheid.

Is he the future Head of the House or the unmarried Gustav ?

Prince Gustav because he is still respecting his grandfather's Will which was clearly aimed to keep the immense patrimonium of the House firmly tied to the chef of the House.

Without the Will the chance was there that the eldest male agnate of the House Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg owns the patrimonium but is not the chef of that House because he made an undynastic marriage. A not so desirable side effect meaning that a junior agnate whom fully obeyed to the House Laws is left with nothing and the senior agnate whom married the cleaning-lady and is no longer a dynast, owns all the millions.

Then the link between the historic patrimonium and the dynasty has been broken, which would be very sad. It is clear Gustav's grandfather wanted a double lock on that door.

Last edited:
I wonder what will happen to the Berleburg assets after Prince Gustav's death.
Currently, after him, the next in line to succeed both to the title of Fürst zu S-W-B and to the whole asset of the princely House is his uncle, Prince Robin, who himself contracted unequal marriages and whose descendants are excluded from the succession. On the other hand, it is highly unlikely that Prince Robin will succeed to his nephew.
Will it all pass to Gustav's cousin, the Fürst zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein or to his son? Or will the assets be eventually split between Gustav's sisters and their descendants?

I wonder what will happen to the Berleburg assets after Prince Gustav's death.
Currently, after him, the next in line to succeed both to the title of Fürst zu S-W-B and to the whole asset of the princely House is his uncle, Prince Robin, who himself contracted unequal marriages and whose descendants are excluded from the succession. On the other hand, it is highly unlikely that Prince Robin will succeed to his nephew.
Will it all pass to Gustav's cousin, the Fürst zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein or to his son? Or will the assets be eventually split between Gustav's sisters and their descendants?

I understood that the will would no longer be applicable after Prince Gustav and therefor not apply to Prince Robin and his descendants. This would mean that Prince Robins marriage would not affect his succession and he would be the next furst. I have not heard that he renounced his position.

The unmarried Gustav is the future Head of the House of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, which is one of the two branches of the House of Sayn (the other is the house of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn).

Shouldn't that be three branches, the Hohensteins being the third

I understood that the will would no longer be applicable after Prince Gustav and therefor not apply to Prince Robin and his descendants. This would mean that Prince Robins marriage would not affect his succession and he would be the next furst. I have not heard that he renounced his position.
AFAIK Prince Robin didn't renounce to his titles and/or succession rights, but under the "old rules" his marriage was unequal (morganatic) and therefore his descendants should be excluded from the succession.
Anyway Prince Robin is 77 while Gustav is thirty years younger, so it's unlikely that Robin will ever succeed to Gustav.

So, if I have correctly understood, after Gustav's death - granted that he won't marry "equally" - the whole Berleburg inheritance will pass to Robin or his eldes son, who won't be anylonger bounded to respect the conditions set in the will of their ancestor.

Shouldn't that be three branches, the Hohensteins being the third
Yes, right, I had forgotten about them, because the current Hohensteins are descendants of a Berleburg adopted by the last Hohenstein. But yes, in theory they make a separate branch.

Yes, right, I had forgotten about them, because the current Hohensteins are descendants of a Berleburg adopted by the last Hohenstein. But yes, in theory they make a separate branch.

Did Furst Bernhart zu Sayn Wittgenstein Hohenstein marry Katharina Von Alvensleben?

AFAIK he is married to Countess Katharina von Podewils-Dürniz.

AFAIK he is married to Countess Katharina von Podewils-Dürniz.

I thought that he and Countess Katharina divorced several years ago. I vaguely remember reading it. He and Katharina Von Alvensleben attended Nathalie zu Sayn Wittgenstein Berleburg's wedding as well as recently the funeral for the Prince of Lippe.

You're right, they attended together. At this point, it's very much possible that I missed Fürst Bernhart's divorce (or at least separation).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom