Princely House von Wrede

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple_platinum

Heir Apparent
City
Jakarta
Country
Indonesia
Fürstin Katharina von Wrede in Weißenburg, Germany
March 6, 2006

(from seegerpress)

Fuerst Carl Christian and Fuerstin Katalin von Wrede had their first child, a daughter, Alicia Claire Eugenie Sophie on December 7th 2007.

Awesome pictures of the princly family and their estates. But is there any other information about this princly family like who is head of the house and who is the heir to the headship or any other members of this princly family ? To anyone who responses to this post thanks in advance.

Isn't P Marie of Wrede the wife of the son of the Duke of Wurtenberg? Is she the daughter of P Carl & P Katharina?

The Princess Marie you might be thinking of is actually Princess Marie of Wied (full name: Wilhelmine Friederike Pauline Elisabeth Marie), who is married to Duke Friedrich of Wurttemburg. Here is a link to her family's geneology:Wied

Isn't P Marie of Wrede the wife of the son of the Duke of Wurtenberg? Is she the daughter of P Carl & P Katharina?

Prince Carl and Princess Katharinas have no children together but both have children from previous marriages:

Last edited:
The Princess Marie you might be thinking of is actually Princess Marie of Wied (full name: Wilhelmine Friederike Pauline Elisabeth Marie), who is married to Duke Friedrich of Wurttemburg. Here is a link to her family's geneology:Wied

Thank you so very much!

Prince CArl and Princess Katharinas have noc children together but both have children from previous marriages:

Thank you Stefan. I was not even in the same family..

Last edited by a moderator:
Warren:

Thank you for identifying the various German Princes/Princesses' for those of us who did not know, but are learning.

23 May 2009...

Fürst Carl von Wrede & Fürstin Katalin: [DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

Warren, I have a question. I thought that the title of Fürst was reserved for the head (the "first") of a family, yet all of the von Wredes appear to be styled "Fürst" or "Fürstin." How come?

I find this family very appealing but confusing, especially because the names and the titles are so similar in both generations. The father is
Fürst Carl, and the son is Fürst Carl. The father's wife is Fürstin Katharina, and the son's wife is Fürstin Katalin. How come the younger pair isn't styled Erbprinz and Erbprinzessin, or simply Prinz and Prinzessin?

Warren, I have a question. I thought that the title of Fürst was reserved for the head (the "first") of a family, yet all of the von Wredes appear to be styled "Fürst" or "Fürstin." How come?

I find this family very appealing but confusing, especially because the names and the titles are so similar in both generations. The father is
Fürst Carl, and the son is Fürst Carl. The father's wife is Fürstin Katharina, and the son's wife is Fürstin Katalin. How come the younger pair isn't styled Erbprinz and Erbprinzessin, or simply Prinz and Prinzessin?

The Wrede Family is one of the rare cases where all are styled Fürst/Fürstin . Actuallay the son's name is Carl Christian.

Carl Christian is the brother of Archduchess Alexandra of Austria, the wife of Archduke Carl Peter, isn't he?

The Princely House of Wrede is a bit different to most of the Germanic princely families. They don't owe their princely creation to the Holy Roman Emperor (or Emperor of Austria) but to the King of Bavaria. The family made a very rapid ascent: the first title was given in 1791 when Ferdinand Josef von Wrede was created Freiherr (Baron) and his son Carl, a very successful Bavarian military commander, was created Fürst von Wrede in 1814.

Usually such a non-Imperial creation would keep the family out of the "equal marriage" ranks within the Gotha, but the Wredes have proved to be upwardly mobile of late:
• Anna Gabrielle, daughter of Carl, 5th Fürst von Wrede, married Archduke Rudolf of Austria as his second wife in 1971.
• Alexandra, daughter of Carl (-Friedrich), 6th Fürst and sister of Fürst/Erbprinz Carl (-Christian), married Archduke Karl Peter, the eldest son of Rudolf by his first wife, in 1998.

And to all that the second wife of Fürst Carl was previously married to Prince Wilhelm Ernst of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. Thus the future head of the Saxe-Weimar Family Prince Georg-Constantin ís a half-brother to Fürst Carl Christian.

Archduchess Anna Gabriele was also cousin of her late sister in law Archduchess Anna Eugenie, nèe Princess of Arenberg, wife of Archduke Felix and daughter of Furstin Marie Gabrielle von Wrede.

Yes, the Wredes have a Habsburg connection that goes back to the 1920s:
Marie Gabrielle, daughter of Carl (-Philipp), 4th Fürst, married HSH Prince and Duke Robert of Arenberg in 1922.
Their daughter Princess and Duchess Anna-Eugenie married Archduke Felix, 3rd son of the Emperor Karl, in 1952.

Last edited:
Archduke Felix, 2nd son of the Emperor Karl
Felix is the third son and fourth child of the Emperor, born after Otto, Adelheid and Robert.

I'll correct the error in my Wrede folder. :flowers:

Thanks to everyone for the very informative answers to my question.

Out of curiosity (although perhaps slightly off topic), does anyone know what are the other examples of families in which all the members are styled Fürst or Fürstin?

Also, a question for clarification: Are all of the Wrede family called Fürst or Fürstin because they received their title from the King of Bavaria rather that from the Holy Roman Emperor? In other words, if I were to learn that a particular family acquired its princely title from a Bavarian king instead of the HRE, would it be safe to assume that all members of that family are styled Fürst? Or could there be other reasons -- for example, that at some point a head of that family decreed that the title of Fürst would apply to all?

Thank you in advance.

I don't know exactly why al the members of this family are Furst or Furstin, but I don't think that it's because their is a bavarian title and not an austrian one.
About the other families whose members have this particular title, I know only the family of the Dukes of Hohenberg, whose members are Furst/Furstin, while the head if Duke.

Since the discussion had moved into the interesting territory of the use of Fürst and Prinz, and von, zu, and von und zu, I have copied some posts over and moved others to the German Royal and Noble Titles thread in this forum.

How are the members of the von Wrede house styled ? His/Her Serene Highness or His/Her Princely Grace ? I have always been confused by this and cannot find any reference with members as HSH, much like that Prinz and Prinzessin von Altenburgs. Thanks in advance for any information.

Today I just realised that Éva Kovarcz (aka Eva Katharina Kovarcz de Kovarczfalva aka Fürstin Katharina I guess), daughter of Dezsö Tibor László Kovarcz and Eva-Maria Fiala-Vogelsang, is the ex-wife of Prince Wilhelm Ernst of Saxe-Weimar (whose parents are Prince Bernhard of Saxe-Weimar and Princess Felicitas of Salm-Horstmar). But what is her surname exactly, Kovarcz de Kovarczfalva or simply Kovarcz? Where does ''de Kovarczfalva'' come from?

Hmm,don't know,but I have read somewhere that she belongs to untitled nobility...

Kovarcz de Kovarczfalva

The Hungarian noblesse often do not have prefixed titles, their territorial sufix is sufficient to indicate their nobility (as in the ancient nobility of Scotland and Spain) and a sort of title in itself. These ancient traditions predate the Austrian-Hungarian empire. Hungarian elites were taught in Latin and used French in polite society, so the de, as in "de Kovarczfalva" is a designation like the French (though not all French people with a de in their names are noble) and of that Ilk among the Scots, whom like the Hungarians can pass on their nobility through female descendants.

I personally do not hold any information on the Kovarcz of Kovarczfalva, but have no reason to believe they are not of the nobility of Hungary.

Princess Katharina of Wrede was sentenced to pay 100 Euros for not-inoculate her cattle.

Fürstin vor Gericht

It seems Princesses-Consorts von Wrede always had problems with the law...

Hugely rich Princess Carmen von Wrede was accused of being a kleptomaniac because stealing silverware from various hotels around Europe and also Princess Anna von Wrede,born Princess von Lobkowicz who was condemned by a Vevey court to pay a fine for buying up and storing large quantities of food at her villa at Territet,which was in violation of Swiss law...

Birth of Prince Balint

Erbprinz [Hereditary Prince] Carl Christian von Wrede
(b.6 November 1972) [son of Carl Friedrich, Fürst von Wrede (b.1942) & his first wife Ingeborg, nee Hamberger (b.1944)]
& his wife Kathalina, née Countess Bethlen de Bethlen (b.20 September 1975)
had their third child, Prince Balint, sometime in 2012.

A sibling for Princess Alicia Claire Eugenie Sophie (7-12-2007) & Prince Carl Nikolaus (b. about 2010).

Source: Wrede

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom