Princely House of Windisch-Graetz

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Stéphanie of Windisch-Graetz born 17 July 1939 (died age 79) at St. Pierre Hospital, Brussels on 12 July 2019 due to complications after a heart operation.

Her funeral will be on 22 July 2019 at 12 o'clock in the Saint-Jacques church on Coudenberg in Brussels.

The Princess is also the great-granddaughter of Rudolf, Crown Prince of Austria son of Emperor Franz-Joseph of Austria and also the great-granddaughter of Princess Stéphanie of Belgium daughter of King Leopold II of Belgium.

Funérailles de la princesse Stéphanie de Windisch-Graetz : 22 juillet 2019 – Noblesse & Royautés

http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/2019/07/princess-stephanie-of-windisch-graetz.html

Last edited:
Princess Stéphanie of Windisch-Graetz born 17 July 1939 (died age 79) at St. Pierre Hospital, Brussels on 12 July 2019 due to complications after a heart operation.

Her funeral will be on 22 July 2019 at 12 o'clock in the Saint-Jacques church on Coudenberg in Brussels.

The Princess is also the great-granddaughter of Rudolf, Crown Prince of Austria son of Emperor Franz-Joseph of Austria and also the great-granddaughter of Princess Stéphanie of Belgium daughter of King Leopold II of Belgium.

Funérailles de la princesse Stéphanie de Windisch-Graetz : 22 juillet 2019 – Noblesse & Royautés

Royal Musings: Princess Stephanie of Windisch Graetz (1939-2019)

According to Belgian media the Princess died in poverty. She ended in a small appartment with a minimum income.
:sad:

Together with her two sons Princess Stéphanie lived in the Château de Bierbais, which looked impressive from the outside but was very worn out inside. For an example: for years there simply was no heating anymore. In 1995 the Princess sold the castle for 25,6 million Belgian Franc (3,6 million Euro), which was way less from the sale price of 45 million Belgian Franc (11,2 million Euro). The sale was a deception for the Princess as she not only lost her ancestral estate but still left her with a mortgage debt of 10 million Belgian Franc (250.000 Euro) to Anhyp Bank while she had to find another accomodation.

Château de Bierbais, close to Brussels: https://mapio.net/images-p/44965809.jpg

Last edited:
She lives as she wanted , she was an Artist.
The Funerals will be at the Church of St jacques sur Coudenberg where her Aunt Princess Stephanie married her first husband le Comte d' Alcantara.

She lives as she wanted , she was an Artist.
The Funerals will be at the Church of St jacques sur Coudenberg where her Aunt Princess Stephanie married her first husband le Comte d' Alcantara.

That is open for discussion. Still in 2014 Princess Stéphanie went after "the lost billions of Léopold II" and did demand the State to get access to Léopold II's original testament with her own eyes, as she believed the State of Belgium did "hide his fortune". In an interview she was convinced that Léopold buried masses of gold in the Ardennes...

So maybe the Princess painted herself as "une artiste" but probably that was just her mask to hide her poverty and keep up appearances. Her efforts to go after Léopold's billions show that she most likely did care about money and would have preferred not to live in poverty indeed.

RIP

:ohmy:

Did you mer her . I met her , and will never forget her .
She created in 1991 l'Associations des Cliniclowns" for the ill Children in Hospitals.

There is a Foundation Princesse Stephanie de Windisch Graetz humanitary and social projects.

Her appartment was rue Ste Anne , near the Sablon. Do you know the Sablon ??

She had so many friends and the Church St Jacques dre Coudenberg will be crowded. I think i will attend too.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Belgian media the Princess died in poverty. She ended in a small appartment with a minimum income.
:sad:

Together with her two sons Princess Stéphanie lived in the Château de Bierbais, which looked impressive from the outside but was very worn out inside. For an example: for years there simply was no heating anymore. In 1995 the Princess sold the castle for 25,6 million Belgian Franc (3,6 million Euro), which was way less from the sale price of 45 million Belgian Franc (11,2 million Euro). The sale was a deception for the Princess as she not only lost her ancestral estate but still left her with a mortgage debt of 10 million Belgian Franc (250.000 Euro) to Anhyp Bank while she had to find another accomodation.

Château de Bierbais, close to Brussels: https://mapio.net/images-p/44965809.jpg

That is open for discussion. Still in 2014 Princess Stéphanie went after "the lost billions of Léopold II" and did demand the State to get access to Léopold II's original testament with her own eyes, as she believed the State of Belgium did "hide his fortune". In an interview she was convinced that Léopold buried masses of gold in the Ardennes...

So maybe the Princess painted herself as "une artiste" but probably that was just her mask to hide her poverty and keep up appearances. Her efforts to go after Léopold's billions show that she most likely did care about money and would have preferred not to live in poverty indeed.

RIP

:ohmy:

Thank you for the very interesting information regarding her life, Duc. It is an unhappy thing for anybody to die in poverty and it illustrates the vagaries of inheritance that a great-granddaughter of a man who was born to ascend to an imperial throne ended with a minimum income and small apartment. Hopefully she continued to derive enjoyment from her artistic career, travels, and charitable work.

As the Nieuwsblad headline in the royalfly's post alludes to, she would, quite hypothetically, have become Queen of the Belgians if Belgium's change to absolute primogeniture had been done retroactively, so it seems fitting that this branch of the family returned to Belgium (due to their family origins?).

Thank you for the very interesting information regarding her life, Duc. It is an unhappy thing for anybody to die in poverty and it illustrates the vagaries of inheritance that a great-granddaughter of a man who was born to ascend to an imperial throne ended with a minimum income and small apartment. Hopefully she continued to derive enjoyment from her artistic career, travels, and charitable work.

As the Nieuwsblad headline in the royalfly's post alludes to, she would, quite hypothetically, have become Queen of the Belgians if Belgium's change to absolute primogeniture had been done retroactively, so it seems fitting that this branch of the family returned to Belgium (due to their family origins?).

Apart from her descendance to King Léopold II of the Belgians, the late Princess Stéphanie of course was born in Belgium, from a Belgian mother, and died in Belgium.

Hypothetically, yes. It might be. As to the question, no. Apparently, the Princess was born and lived in Belgium to a Belgian mother, Countess Ghislaine d'Arschot Schoonhoven (died 1997, Belgium.)
She married an Englishman, Brigadier Dermot Blundell-Hollinshead-Blundell on 16 February 1967 at London, England and had two kids but the marriage ended up in divorce in 1973.
To note, her eldest son Henry married Lisa Abaddjian in Brussels on 2 September 2000 and had two kids to date.

It seems that her younger son Alexander changed his & his three children's last name to Windisch-Graetz in August 2011. At the time he was living in Etterbeek, Brussels.

The church of Saint Jacques de Coudenberg -where the funeral is held- is located directly behind the royal palace, opposite the Margritte Museum and is on the edge of the Sablon.

It seems that her younger son Alexander changed his & his three children's last name to Windisch-Graetz in August 2011. At the time he was living in Etterbeek, Brussels.

Apparently, he did change his last name to Windisch-Graetz. Anyhow, today is supposed to be Princess Stéphanie's (born 17 July 1939) 80th birthday.

Because of the National Feast on Sunday 21th , her Funerals are on Monday at 12 .

Apart from her descendance to King Léopold II of the Belgians, the late Princess Stéphanie of course was born in Belgium, from a Belgian mother, and died in Belgium.

Hypothetically, yes. It might be. As to the question, no. Apparently, the Princess was born and lived in Belgium to a Belgian mother, Countess Ghislaine d'Arschot Schoonhoven (died 1997, Belgium.)

True, but Princess Stéphanie of Belgium naturally relocated to Austria when she married the crown prince of the Austro-Hungarian empire, and her daughter Elisabeth Marie was an Austrian archduchess, so I still wonder if their descent contributed to two of Stéphanie's four grandchildren, including the father of Stéphanie de Windisch-Graetz, apparently settling in Belgium.

(Apologies for misspelling your name, theroyalfly.)

True, but Princess Stéphanie of Belgium naturally relocated to Austria when she married the crown prince of the Austro-Hungarian empire, and her daughter Elisabeth Marie was an Austrian archduchess, so I still wonder if their descent contributed to two of Stéphanie's four grandchildren, including the father of Stéphanie de Windisch-Graetz, apparently settling in Belgium.

(Apologies for misspelling your name, theroyalfly.)

You are correct when Princess Stéphanie of Belgium married the Crown Prince, she moved to Austria and there they had only one daughter Elisabeth Marie. However, that marriage was a rocky one and she was not well liked by her mother-in-law, Empress Elisabeth. Her marriage however, did not end in divorce but with the sudden death of Crown Prince Rudolf who was found dead with his lover in 1889.
Stéphanie married again but morganatically and lived in Hungary until her death.

Her daughter Archduchess Elisabeth Marie was considered to marry her mother's cousin Prince Albert (later Albert I) but King Leopold II disagreed with the match because he disliked her daughter's 2nd marriage. Later on, Elisabeth Marie met Prince Otto Weriand of Windisch-Graetz who's below her rank as the Habsburg did not regard Otto's Mediatized House as their equal and the marriage ended as morganatic and Elisabeth Marie renouncing her succession right in exchange of a big dowry. The couple lived in Czech Republic and the marriage ended in divorce and custody battle.

Elisabeth Marie briefly lived in Brussels with her aunt's help Princess Clementine of Belgium together with her 4 children.
Later moved to Vienna with her new partner and later husband and died there too.

As with Princess Stéphanie Windisch-Graetz's father, Franz Joseph, there's only a little that I know but I think he might have stayed in Belgium after her mom put them all there and eventually married a Belgian woman Countess Ghislaine and died in Nairobi, Kenya.

**no worries about my name though**:flowers:

I attended this morning the Funerals of HSH Princess Stephanie de Windisch Graetz because she is a Descendent of a Habsbourg and a Coburg what our actual King is not.

High Nobility from Belgium Austria and other countries from the Ex Austria Empire, the Ambassador of Slovaquia etc..

I was welcomed by her two Sons , wife and Children

Delphine Boel , elegantly dressed in black sat at the second row.

The mass was a one hour an a half traditional in french and in Latin. Everybody was looking if Delphine will receive the holy communion and she did receive.

At the very end a man was singing the Kaiser Hymn, I heard for the last time since Archuke Otto 's Funerals in Vienna.

I left before the end but was stopped by a lady singing the extroadinary "Amazing Grace " and i realised Prince Laurent was next to me. Black suit , black tie and great Emotion. I said to him : Merci Monseigneur d'être venu and he bowed to me.
Unforgettable Funerals.

Last edited:
Thanks for your first-hand report. Very nice to read that they played the Kaiserhymne at the end.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It's sounds like a very special occasion.

The Funeral Mass took place at Saint-Jacques on the Coudenberg where king Leopold I too the oath on the steps of that very church.

I attended this morning the Funerals of HSH Princess Stephanie de Windisch Graetz because she is a Descendent of a Habsbourg and a Coburg what our actual King is not.

High Nobility from Belgium Austria and other countries from the Ex Austria Empire, the Ambassador of Slovaquia etc..

I was welcomed by her two Sons , wife and Children

Delphine Boel , elegantly dressed in black sat at the second row.

The mass was a one hour an a half traditional in french and in Latin. Everybody was looking if Delphine will receive the holy communion and she did receive.

At the very end a man was singing the Kaiser Hymn, I heard for the last time since Archuke Otto 's Funerals in Vienna.

I left before the end but was stopped by a lady singing the extroadinary "Amazing Grace " and i realised Prince Laurent was next to me. Black suit , black tie and great Emotion. I said to him : Merci Monseigneur d'être venu and he bowed to me.
Unforgettable Funerals.

It's lovely to know that you attended it. But what did you mean by saying the actual King is not a descendant of Coburg? I would understand Habsburg...but Coburg?

King Philippe is a descendant of the Count of Flandres ( Leopold II 's Brother) and his wife born Princess of Hohenzollern Sigmaringen. Their Son Albert I married Duchess Elisabeth of Baviera
That means Cobourg of course Baviera.

Last edited:
King Philippe is a descendant of the Count of Flandres ( Leopold II 's Brother) and his wife born Princess of Hohenzollern Sigmaringen. Their Son Albert I married Duchess Elisabeth of Baviera
That means Cobourg of course Baviera.

So what is your point?

Prince Philippe, Count of Flanders was the 3rd son of Leopold I who was born Prince of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld and later Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. His wife Princess Marie is from the cadet Swabian branch of the House of Hohenzollern, Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen.

Their son Albert I married Duchess Elisabeth in Bavaria of the Palatinate branch, a cadet branch of the House of Wittelsbach.

Back
Top Bottom