The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc23 View Post
There are many examples of noble/noble marriages in recent years,especially in Germany as Albert is also part of that set:

Interesting that Gloria's brother Count Alexander married Princess Irina of Hesse, thus becoming the grand-nephew of the Duke of Edinburgh and the Queen by marriage, as Irina's grandmother was Prince Philip's sister Sofia of Greece and Denmark.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Interesting that Gloria's brother Count Alexander married Princess Irina of Hesse, thus becoming the grand-nephew of the Duke of Edinburgh and the Queen by marriage, as Irina's grandmother was Prince Philip's sister Sofia of Greece and Denmark.
Exactly...it seems that Germany is still some kind of an "island" where noble marriages are not that rare...

Old 03-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Nobility

Seraphine is right about nobles mingling in the same circles, the university Albert attended is popular for catholic nobles; when he was there he was close friends with Lukas Auersperg (who is Xenia's former boyfriend) and Lukas' wife Alice Bayern also attended the University of Edinburgh, I also know that Nassau's and Limburg-Stirum's are studying there.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Gentry

But.....

Christian zu Fürstenberg married a divorced woman.

The new Hannover-generation loves south American girls, Ernie jr. has an Argentinian girl fiend and his brother Christian has a Peruvian girl friend, here a link with lots of pictures and information, look at post # 9 :

Baboseo de BUNTE por el hijo del HANNOVER y su chica Inca
Old 03-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Nobility

Exceptions prove the rule. Of course Archduke Imre and Archduke Christoph will also marry commoners this year while their sister Marie-Christine married a Limburg-Stirum. I always had the impression that the Thurn und Taxis' are more catholic than the Fürstenberg's.
Regarding the Hannover's, neither Ernst nor Christian are married yet, and one shouldn't mix up catholic and protestant nobles; my impression is that the catholic crowd sticks together much more than the protestants. Plus it is always a difference if you already have a mother who was a commoner or if your mother is from a titled family.
Thirdly, I think it is more important for noble girls to marry equal partners, men do not lose their titles (sometimes their right to inherited) when they marry a commoner.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I find it quite ironic, given Gloria's *ahem* colorful past that she can say she wants 'a nice Catholic girl' for her son. Dare we cast our minds back to when Johannes TandT was alive? Phallus candles on the birthday cake at the party thrown by Gloria? She did not earn the nickname Princess TNT by dint of the initials.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Nobility

It always depends on the parents and sometimes nobles go their own way, because they're sick of their circles, routines and rules. And sometimes love just makes click ( as Victoria would have described it).

Look at this hereditary princes: Hubertus of Saxe Coburg Gotha married an american women and Bernhard of Baden married a commoner who even is his senior.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Administrator

The lengthy discussion of pedigrees and various extended lines of descent has been moved to the Germanic States and Families thread in the Royal Genealogy forum.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Courtier

So,if Albert marries Xenia their children would be related...

Among other interesting things is that Fürst Albert von Thurn und taxis is one most famous living descendants of Erzebeth Bathori,the Blood Countess...
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Princess Elisabeth attended the 'Louis Vuitton - Marc Jacobs: The Exhibition' photocall...
I just saw that you posted 3 similar posts in a row. Elisabeth attending all these fashion shows, I mean. So I'd like to ask: what's her daily job? She was a blogger and journalist, if I remember correctly. Does she write about fashion?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
I just saw that you posted 3 similar posts in a row. Elisabeth attending all these fashion shows, I mean. So I'd like to ask: what's her daily job? She was a blogger and journalist, if I remember correctly. Does she write about fashion?
Her uncle Alexander von Schönburg, used to be editor of Vanity Fair before he moved on to work Germany's greatest tabloid, so might have helped her find a job as associate editor at Vanity Fair, fashion section.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Nobility

Elisabeth works for the American Vogue.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
So I'd like to ask: what's her daily job?
In January Princess Elisabeth was appointed [American] Vogue 'Style Editor at Large' - refer post #67.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphine View Post
Elisabeth works for the American Vogue.
Sorry, for some reason I thought it was Vanity Fair. Thanks for giving me the correct information.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you all for replying!! Her presence at all these fashion shows makes sense now. I think it is a very interesting career, particularly for a young girl from nobility. Good luck to her!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Gloria of Thurn und Taxis has presented her Castle Rap (see my post on page 4 of this thread) at a
German TV-show on Saturday, March 17, 2012. It's not for the faint-hearted..

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Old 03-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I L-O-V-E IT!!!

I already loved the rap song per se, now with this video - too precious!
While I do not agree with everything Gloria's thinks and says, it would be boring without her. She should have become an entertainer or so, she's also been very funny during carnival.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Oh, my! You're right Dierna23; it would be so boring without Gloria!
Love it, thanks for sharing the video, iceflower!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Gloria of Thurn und Taxis has presented her Castle Rap (see my post on page 4 of this thread) at a
German TV-show on Saturday, March 17, 2012. It's not for the faint-hearted..
Interestingly this show was winner of that evening when it came to the amount of viewers... Good for Gloria!

The playback was bad and the performance not in sinc, but I like the way the song promotes Regensburg and the palace of St. Emmeran, for it's worth stopping there and even travel there by purpose.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

She is unique indeed!
She would have been a perfect actress.Gloria reminds me in a way of Princess Michael of Kent, both have German ancestry and like original gothic styles, " a la Vivienne Westwood".

Tags
german royalty, gloria, princess gloria, thurn und taxis