The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-23-2015, 11:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I've only heard the name once, some witch in Harry Potter is called Mafalda.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Majesty

Mafalda was the name of the sister of King Umberto of Italy. She is married with a german prince i think.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:18 AM
Serene Highness

Maria Theresia's aunt Mafalda, sister of Johannes, died when MT was 8 or 9 years old. Maybe she named her daughter in her memory?

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 08-24-2015, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

There have been a few royal ladies named Mafalda in the past:
- Princess Mafalda von Thurn und Taxis (1924-1989), sister of the late Fürst Johannes;
- Infanta Mafalda of Portugal (1898-1918), aunt of Johannes and Mafalda von T. u. T.;
- Queen Mafalda of Portugal, born Princess of Savoy (1125-1157), wife of King Alfonso I of Portugal;
- Infanta Mafalda of Portugal (1149-1160), daughter of King Alfonfo I and Queen Mafalda;
- Landgravine Mafalda of Hesse-Kassel, born Princess of Savoy (1902-1944);
- Princess Mafalda of Hesse-Kassel (b. 1965).

Both Infanta Mafalda of Portugal (1898-1918) and Princess Mafalda of Savoy (1902-1944) were named after their namesake ancestor Queen Mafalda of Portugal (in the case of Mafalda of Savoy, the name was chosen also because her godmother was her great-aunt Maria Pia, Queen of Portugal).
Old 08-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Congratulations to the couple! I'd love to see a photo of little Mafalda. I wonder if she has any middle names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post

There have been a few royal ladies named Mafalda in the past:
- Princess Mafalda von Thurn und Taxis (1924-1989), sister of the late Fürst Johannes;
- Infanta Mafalda of Portugal (1898-1918), aunt of Johannes and Mafalda von T. u. T.;
- Queen Mafalda of Portugal, born Princess of Savoy (1125-1157), wife of King Alfonso I of Portugal;
- Infanta Mafalda of Portugal (1149-1160), daughter of King Alfonfo I and Queen Mafalda;
- Landgravine Mafalda of Hesse-Kassel, born Princess of Savoy (1902-1944);
- Princess Mafalda of Hesse-Kassel (b. 1965).

Both Infanta Mafalda of Portugal (1898-1918) and Princess Mafalda of Savoy (1902-1944) were named after their namesake ancestor Queen Mafalda of Portugal (in the case of Mafalda of Savoy, the name was chosen also because her godmother was her great-aunt Maria Pia, Queen of Portugal).
Thanks for the list. At first I was surprised by their choice but after reading this, it appears that Mafalda is more common within the royal world than I thought. Of course I don't know for sure but I think that if Mafalda is honouring someone, it's most likely honouring Infanta Mafalda of Portugal or Princess Mafalda von Thurn und Taxis.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-24-2015, 01:34 PM
Nobility

Mafalda is a form of Matilda. It's one of the forms of Matilda in Italian and Portuguese.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Aristocracy

How is the name pronounced? I don't remember ever seeing or hearing it before. Is it MA fall da or ma FALL da or what? Just curious.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslewis View Post
How is the name pronounced? I don't remember ever seeing or hearing it before. Is it MA fall da or ma FALL da or what? Just curious.
How to say or pronounce Mafalda - PronounceNames.com
Old 08-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Thanks. Sounds very Italian on that link. Now I think I've heard that name before. It's pretty.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The family has revealed the little girl's full name in an announcement in the Daily Telegraph: Mafalda Beatrix Maria!

Beatrix is the name of Maria Theresia's maternal grandmother, Contess Beatrix of Schönburg-Glauchau.
Maria Theresia von Thurn und Taxis: Der vollständige Name ihrer Tochter ist offiziell! | BUNTE.de

Old 09-08-2015, 12:28 PM
Majesty

Princess Gloria says that her granddaughter's baptism will be a private affair |unbelievableme| ru_royalty

As stated in the post by the blogger unbelievableme, Mafalda's baptism will take place before Christmas in St Emmeram. Only friends and family will attend. No press coverage is expected.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:46 AM
Administrator

Elisabeth attended the Creatures Of The Wind fashion show during Spring 2016 New York Fashion Week on September 10 and the Rodarte Spring 2016 show on September 15:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 10-14-2015, 03:24 AM
Administrator

Elisabeth at the Chanel Exhibition Party at Saatchi Gallery in London on October 12 (1) and at the Frieze Art Fair in London on October 13 (2):

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 10-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Gloria von Thurn und Taxis first visited the Palace of St. Emmeram in Regensburg, Germany, as the 19-year-old date of its owner, Johannes, 11th Prince of Thurn und Taxis, a descendant of the first postmaster of the Holy Roman Empire. Her own parents, both titled Europeans, fled to Africa just after the Second World War to escape the advancing Soviet armies, leaving everything behind. She met the 53-year-old Johannes in 1979, and the pair were soon married.

Princess Gloria "TNT" cut a striking figure—mixing formal eveningwear with new wave hairdos—and a wide swath through 1980s society, making friends with American artists Keith Haring and Jeff Koons, and throwing a series of extravagant parties.

Upon her husband's death, in 1990, she inherited the estate— and half a billion dollars' worth of debt. Now a devout Catholic, Gloria has turned the family's fortunes around and restored the palace to its former glory, all while raising three children.
Read more: The Punk Princess Who Restored the Palace at Regensburg
Old 10-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Majesty

Tour Elisabeth von Thurn und Taxis's Extraordinary Family Castle - Vogue

Inside Elisabeth von Thurn und Taxis's Family Castle - photogallery - Vogue

The following is the link for "The House of Thurn und Taxis" book http://www.rizzoliusa.com/book.php?isbn=9780847847143

It is nice to see Princess Gloria and Princess Elisabeth airing (if I may say so) the family jewellery.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

A tv-interview with Fuerstin Gloria for Dutch tv, broadcasted yesterday:

TV Show kijk je op npo.nl

The interview with the princess starts after 27 minutes.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:38 PM
Majesty

Thanks for the link!
St Emmeram is magnificent. The upkeep surely costs a fortune.

On a different note, what was the gist of the interview?
Old 11-17-2015, 05:16 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The show is a feel-good one, so the interviewer goes through her life with the princess with a funny anecdote here and there ('my glasses are my new decolete' or 'men should give their money to their wives as they will spend it all in the cafe'). I suppose the Fuerstin showed her palace in the hope that Dutch tourists in the region will also visit St. Emmeran.

They spoke about the marriage to Prince Johannes, about who she is very positive: 'fascinating', 'a man of the world' etc. They spoke about some statements that she made which were meant as a joke. About Michael Jackson, about relegion and about the driving carreer of her son.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Yesterday, November 17, Elisabeth attended the Moda Operandi Holiday dinner hosted by Lauren Santo Domingo in London:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 11-28-2015, 09:34 PM
Majesty

20 November 2015

Princess Elisabeth attended the "Mytheresa X Gianvito Rossi" gala |kapenot88 |: ru_royalty

The aforementioned gala took place in St Emmeram, Regensburg.

Tags
german royalty, gloria, princess gloria, thurn und taxis