Prince Albert II and the Princely House of Thurn und Taxis 3: 2011 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her brother said in an interview that Gloria can be the most understanding person and then again very reactionary lol
Well, maybe MT wants it low-key or they prepare a proper engagement announcement. :ermm:

Her brother said in an interview that Gloria can be the most understanding person and then again very reactionary lol
Well, maybe MT wants it low-key or they prepare a proper engagement announcement. :ermm:
You are probably right Furstin Taxis they might not be giving quotes due to MT being quite a private person.

I suppose it seems a bit strange to announce it so very formally in 'The Times' and then say and do nothing.

I could understand if it was a Bunte/Bild exclusive (where a happy private family secret had been accidently let out of the bag) and they didn't comment so as to let MT do her own thing in her own time. When I saw the announcement on the RF of the Times/Telegraph announcement I did think there would be a nice comment from Gloria in the mittelbayerische zeitung.

MT seems such a private person and as her life is in London I dont think anybody would expect the posed photograph and interview format that we see with other royal/aristocratic couples.

Last edited:
I doubt she would be that unprogressive when it comes to her childrens luck. And Glorias parents divorced also.

Gloria's personality and lifestyle seems to have changed drastically after the death of her husband Prince Johannes. She has become conservative, almost reactionary, and has adopted a sort of militant Catholicism. She has managed her late husband's estate brilliantly and she and her children are as wealthy as ever. Yet she no longer wears makeup or dresses in couture.

This from a young woman who led an almost giddy lifestyle and whose taste for the excess and the high life caused her to be a staple of the tabloids-who dabbed her "Princess TNT" during the 1980's.

I think the loss of her husband made her very protective about her children and in wanting the best for them she perhaps hopes for financial security for them too.

I think even today she has to use all her energy creating publicity and buisness for her beloved st emmeram.

Perhaps Hugo, although an established artist will not make for many years (if ever) the kind of money to match what MT has from Furst Johannes.

What other people have claimed (and what even Gloria has hinted at) is that Gloria sought Gotha husbands for her daughters. This is more to do about financial security rather than aristocratic bloodlines being kept pure. Gloria has derived a career out of being the Furstin Von Thurn und Taxis.

Although it seems quite Victorian (and in some ways Gloria is quite retro) - for Gloria being the wife and mother of landowners, and the keeper of his family's heritage, antiques, art, estate , is a career that is more lasting than being a vogue columnist or an artist.

There is also the fact that he is not able to provide the financial connections that for example Mick Flick did (I think he helped with financial descisions in her widowhood and perhaps still may do as he celebrated this last christmas with her)

As a catholic and an aristocrat Gloria believes marriage is for life and in the bad times (husband an alcoholic/ill/deceased) you work to preserve what generations before you have created and make provision for your children's future. She expects a husband to provide the canvas on which the wife works, and not have MT buy the home Hugo lives in.

Even today Gloria is a fun person who mixes with artists, writers, singers. Black or white, rich or poor, gay or straight-if you are fun you are welcome in her home.

Still from what I have seen of Gloria over the years I can tell you this: If MT had become engaged to George Percy the catholic heir to a great and ancient British dukedom nobody would have prevented her shouting it from the roof tops.

Last edited:
I : If MT had become engaged to George Percy the catholic heir to a great and ancient British dukedom nobody would have prevented her shouting it from the roof tops.

I for one would have been very happy if this scenario had occurred. Oh well.

Although it would have been nice for MT to join a noble and ancient family (and even more enjoyable for us looking at the wedding photos :)). I really do think she has found someone who she can be happy with. I'm sure most of the single royals in these forums have enough pressure from their family to make a good match without us adding to it:lol:.

There is a video of Hugo is anyone cares to see

Hugo Wilson's Parabiosis on Vimeo

I think most gotha families can take gloria in their stride - I do wonder what his parents will make of Gloria and her Jake and Dinos Chapman art. If the wedding is in Regensburg the wedding is sure to be interesting
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...qv1oRmRtxbkAhdJwGlf2s_w&bvm=bv.59568121,d.ZGU

[Gloria]... has become conservative, almost reactionary, and has adopted a sort of militant Catholicism.
True to a certain extent, but she is also quite contradictory. For example, while she is very much against gay rights as such, she is very comfortable with and mixes in the same circles as gay men (see earlier posts for evidence). In her wonderful blogs a few years ago Princess Elisabeth was often commenting on her mother's contrariness and amalgam of opposites in her conservative and liberal views. That's just Gloria.

Regarding the silence following the engagement announcement, it's no secret that Gloria wished that her children marry within the Gotha. Maybe she needs some time to get her head around it. We have no idea of the family discussions or tensions or whatever that led up to and/or followed the Times notice.

It is hard to see what parts of Gloria are part of the act and what part is real. If she really wanted her children to marry fellow-nobles she would have given them another upbringing, like the Belgian-based catholic royals/nobility. Instead her children seem to have become creative and people of the world. Not hiding in their own cocoon with their fellow-nobles/opus dei members.

That she mixes with gay men (here) and according to some even married one ánd condems them to burn for all eternity is rather odd. She gave the wildest and most expensive SDR&R parties in the 80-ties and now became all religious. She claims to be a devout christian, yet had no problems in hanging around with arms dealers. A clever woman by most accounts and yet she thinks that the spread HIV/AIDS in Africa is caused Africans corpulating a lot due to the heat. An amalgram of opposites is a nice way to describe it, though I can think of a less flattering term. I never know whether to find her unbearable or irresistable.

Last edited:
"If she really wanted her children to marry fellow-nobles she would have given them another upbringing, like the Belgian-based catholic royals/nobility. Instead her children seem to have become creative and people of the world. Not hiding in their own cocoon with their fellow-nobles/opus dei members".

I think Marengo is right :flowers:. Although Furst Johannes was quite social, the people he mixed with were quite "high society" types like Princess Soraya and Gunther Sachs. Gloria's aquaintances have always been a more diverse bunch.

I think there was an effort by Gloria to make MT, Elisabeth and Albert "citizens of the world" and to mix with people because they were interesting, and not because they came from the same sphere as you. The children when they were young seemed to visit the US a lot with their parents and apparently were looked after by a Scottish nanny for most of their childhood.

To broaden their horizions Gloria sent MT and Elisabeth to a British boarding school for 2-3 years, whilst taking Albert away from his school Regensburg to complete his schooling in Rome (although I think he almost went to school in Britain too). Later on ofcourse the girls were educated in Spain. whilst Albert went to university in Edinburgh.

Considering that the US and Britain has such a pull for the family, it makes sense that both girls might settle down with an American/British husband in a major capital city rather than with a Graf on a small estate. I'm sure whomsoever they chose will be perfect.

I hope Albert choses wisely, as he seems more inclined to bow to family pressure/put off the question indefinely/get caught.
There was something about Xenia's family background (and love life) which seemed a bit murky, I hope this relationship will never cross the lines of friendship again.
I hope Albert has sons because I hate to think of anything bad happening to him, and poor Gloria tossed out into the snow by a distant cousin after all her hard work at St Emmeram.
Perhaps the title goes to the male heir but everything else Albert can leave to a nephew (which would be Furst Johannes' grandson albeit in the female line)?

The heirs are also a lot older than Albert. The next one would be Max, 79. His sons can´t inherit afaik. Prince Albrecht is 84, Prince Friedrich is 64, Prince Karl is 62 (his sons also can´t inherit) and Prince Maximilian is 49. I hope he has kids in the next years, his father was old when Albert was born.

Btw MTs fiancee is hot ;)

Today there is a little more information about MT and Hugo's engagement in Gala.

German
Erlebe die Welt der Stars | GALA.DE

Most of the information in the article seems to be coming from "a source close to the couple". In IMO the issue of his religion will be a deal breaker when it comes to having a TNT wedding in Regensburg. I think they have been a couple for 2 years not the 5 years it says in the article. I think that Hugo will not convert but agree to raise the children Catholic (I myself am the child of a happy marriage with my father CoE and mother Catholic) - however "mixed" marriages are usually small affairs. If the ceremony is blessed by the Catholic church there will have to be preperation classes for 2 months previous-on this assumption the wedding is likely to be at the Brompton Oratory in London.

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Elisabeth

:previous:

1. Great hair!
2. X marks the spot

Thumbnail images form cropped portions of a much larger photograph.

Attachments

• Elisabeth TnT 1.jpg
    Elisabeth TnT 1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 314
  • Elisabeth TnT 2.jpg
    Elisabeth TnT 2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 304

Elisabeth attended the Thakoon fashion show during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Fall 2014 in New York City on February 9, 2014 - what a look!

** Pic **

The hat is very much her style but the top and furry cape are awful. Her bout of flu must be very bad to have mixed all those pieces into an outfit! Perhaps as a result of working for vogue she is given things by designers that she then feels obliged to wear? Have to say I like the handbag.

Elisabeth wearing a Emilia Wickstead dress and Nicholas Kirkwood shoes at the Casiraghi-Santo Domingo wedding in Gstaad.

http://www.bunte.de/sites/default/f...ry_660x915/public/466403713.jpg?itok=WumhqRz6

I rather think it's her own taste that guides her. She doesn't seem like a person who wears certain things to please someone else and as different as they may be there's a kind of common thread that runs through her outfits :)

Elisabeth attended the Ostwald Helgason fashion show during MADE Fashion Week Fall 2014 in New York City on February 8, 2014:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Here's a lovely pic of Elisabeth at the Paul Andrew Dinner held at the Musket Room in NYC on February 11 and one of her attending the Marc Jacobs Fall 2014 show in NYC on February 13:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Maximilian Karl, The Prince of Thurn and Taxis (1827-1871)
In 1827, Maximilian Karl was his father's (Karl Alexander's) successor as head of the private Thurn-und-Taxis Post.
With the annexation of the Free City of Frankfurt by the Kingdom of Prussia in 1866 and the sale of Thurn-und-Taxis Post, the era of the Thurn and Taxis family's postal monopoly ended.
Maximilian Maria (1862-1885) was the seventh Prince of Thurn and Taxis (1870-1885).
To celebrate the official takeover of the government business of the House of Thurn and Taxis, Maximilian Maria created generous foundations for the poor of the city of Regensburg and the surrounding countryside, and also for the restoration of the Saint Emmeram's Abbey.
He urged his archivist to establish and write a scientifically based history of the House of Thurn and Taxis.

Yesterday, March 3, Elisabeth attended the Giambattista Valli show and the Gaia Repossi's Jewelry Collection At Jeu de Paume show as part of the Paris Fashion Week Womenswear Fall/Winter 2014-2015.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages gallery **

Princess Gloria is in her element, attending Vatican events. Furst Albert's photo is not flattering.

Princess Gloria is in her element, attending Vatican events. Furst Albert's photo is not flattering.

Trouble is a lot of photographs of him seem quite candid quick photos.

He doesn't really have a "pose" like Gloria, Elisabeth and other royals do.

There is nothing fake or studied about Albert and Maria- good for them :)

I think he is pure of heart and its unfortunate that his natural smile ends up looking like a grimace.

Elisabeth at the Louis Vuitton show as part of the Paris Fashion Week Womenswear Fall/Winter 2014-2015 on March 5, 2014.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Elisabeth attended 'Bvlgari Celebrates 130 Years In Rome' on March 20. On pic 3 you can see her with Princess Clotilde and Carla Bruni.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

pics 1 and 2: such a pretty face, such a shapeless dress (or mess of a dress).

The ensemble screams "a fashion victim". Running in the high fashion circles, Princess Elisabeth tries to be edgy fashionable, but fails.

Last edited:
I like the print but not the shape of the dress.

Elisabeth's choices in my opinion are very hit and miss. Like many Germans she likes very odd colour combinations which others find strange.

I always thought that young Gloria (although famous for crazy clothing) always had the 'look' down from top to toe- and it worked for her because she didnt mix her fabrics, colours and styles too much.

Elisabeth is 32 this month and it would be nice to see her move to more elegant outfits. IMO she is should have worn the necklace with a LBD or worn the dress with her hair down and no necklace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom