Princely House of Thurn und Taxis 2: July 2008 - July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how tall Albert is? in the picture with his mom and liza he seems to tower over the two of them
6' 4', Broad, looks strong. Gloria must sometimes wonder if it is her late husband standing by her, rather than her son. BTW I have seen a picture of Johannes, showing sinmilar sideburns. So maybe Albert is mimicking his father, or just thinks if it looked good on Johannes, it will look good on him. Question -- Did Albert have his front teeth knocked out in a race car accident? There is one pic of him looking in pain, and his mouth looking hurt.

Was the late Prince tall? He always seemed of a height with Princess Gloria?

I find it so annoying when royals preach to others on how to conduct themselves and then go off and do the direct opposite themseves. Do as I say, not as I do.

Gloria is no Royal and the Thurn & Taxis never were. Though they were considered equal to Royality by the emperors and German rulers and could marry Royal princesses, they never ruled their own country but were serving aristocracy at top-level.

Jo, maybe I'm missing something....how is one a Prince(ess) and not Royal? I understand the Germany does not recognize 'Royal' titles, but would he not be His Highness out in the rest of the world?

Jo, maybe I'm missing something....how is one a Prince(ess) and not Royal? I understand the Germany does not recognize 'Royal' titles, but would he not be His Highness out in the rest of the world?

I could be wrong (I don't know very much about German monarchy), but I believe that the Thurn und Taxis family were granted their titles due to their service to the Holy Roman Emperor. They established (or played a large role) in the postal service of the Holy Roman Empire.:flowers:

Perhaps someone more familiar with this family's history knows more?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by scooter
maybe I'm missing something....how is one a Prince(ess) and not Royal?
Strictly speaking 'Royal' refers to Kingdoms, thus the Monaco and Liechtenstein (and Thurn und Taxis) families are 'Princely' and Serene Highness, not 'Royal' and Royal Highness.
Members of the Thurn und Taxis family became Princes of the [Holy Roman] Empire in 1695.

Last edited:
Pics 2.2.2009

Gloria von Thurn und Taxis presents her first range of cookies
at the ISM (International Confectionery Trade Fair) Cologne,
Germany - 02.02.09 - and once more in red and green..;)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

:previous:
Perhaps Jo could buy a box of bikkies and give us a Thurn und Taxis taste test. :)

iceflower,
Thanks for keeping us update in regard to Furtsin Gloria's activities!:flowers: I find her outfit odd, to say the least. A checked red
jacket, orange pants, and green hi-neck looked mismatched. The whole look was aggravated by a strand of mangificent pearls that were alien to the outfit. I think it is better to be classically dressed when promoting a new product. She is a noble lady after all...

Cookies

Great pictures of Gloria Thurn und Taxis, wonder if the cookies are any good...LoL :flowers:

iceflower,
Thanks for keeping us update in regard to Furtsin Gloria's activities!:flowers: I find her outfit odd, to say the least. A checked red jacket, orange pants, and green hi-neck looked mismatched. The whole look was aggravated by a strand of mangificent pearls that were alien to the outfit. I think it is better to be classically dressed when promoting a new product. She is a noble lady after all...

Al_bina, you forgot to mention the red bag :ROFLMAO: just the same shade of colour as the checkered jacket! :D

Thanks, Iceflower, for the pictures :flowers:

Gloria v T & T, pregnant when married

My theory is that she got pregnant on New Year's Eve 1980, or on her 21st birthday, Feb 23, 1980. Check out the date or the first pictures of her and Johannes, from a magazine in 2980, party at the castle, Johannes hosting, Gloria dancing. May have been in Vanity Fair, or Architectural Digest, or Town and Country. I used to have a copy, but have lost it. Sorry.
Bonnie, AZ, USA

:previous:
Well ... we do know that then Countess Gloria was three month pregnant, when she got married. I dare to say that it is water under the brigde now.
Al_bina, you forgot to mention the red bag :ROFLMAO: just the same shade of colour as the checkered jacket! :D ... [snipped]
I feel sorry for the "abused" strand of pearls ... :verysad:

Torre e Tasso

I read somewhere that the Italian (Torre e Tasso) branch of the princely house was also inducted into the Spanish Nobility. Does anyone know if that's true or not; and if so would that mean that the current princely title of that branch it still official being that Spain is still a kingdom? As opposed to the German and Czech branches, whose titles became courtesy titles after their kingdoms where abolished.

Fuerstin Gloria is performing on stage as a stand-up comedian in the show of the carnavals association of Aachen, which is broadcasted live on the ARD right now. The show is called: 'Wider den tierischen Ernst’.

A picture here.

Last edited:
Fuerstin Gloria is performing on stage as a stand-up comedian in the show of the carnavals association of Aachen, which is broadcasted live on the ARD right now. The show is called: 'Wider den tierischen Ernst’.

A picture here.

The tradition is that the previous year's winner holds the laudatory
speech for the new winner, so did Gloria, but what I've read and
heard so far, she obviously underperformed. At least she took care
for a special outfit ;) Here are some more pics:

** Gloria 1 ** Gloria 2 ** Gloria 3 **

She clearly looks too normal ... the red/orange/green combo would have worked miracles to improve her performance at least on a visual level :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually Furtsin Gloria looked great. A Burberry dress, I dare to assume, is an definite improvement. I laud her for being able to perform on stage.

Actually Furtsin Gloria looked great. A Burberry dress, I dare to assume, is an definite improvement. I laud her for being able to perform on stage.

Al_bina, for a normal event I would agree with you. However, this was carneval and therefor one usually masquerades. The new cavalier is BTW Mario Adorf. In the attached link you can find some pictures of him and his look ... much more carneval-like, I dare say :previous::D

Orden wider den tierischen Ernst: Mario Adorf rettet den Aachener Karnevalsverein - Nachrichten Fernsehen - WELT ONLINE

Mario Adorf definatly looks more carneval-like!!! I actually liked what Furtsin Gloria was wearing! She looked great!

Does anyone know what her children are up to these days?

I noticed that several posters comment on the 12 castles owned by the family. I remember reading a quote from Princess Gloria's late husband where he was asked how many he owned and he couldn't remember if it was 20 or 21 castles that he owned. If the death duties were 350m then there is no way the auction, donation of relics to the state in exchange for reduction of death duties, and sale of businesses alone cleared that much. I wonder if Gloria sold all these items to pay for the death duties on Albert's portion of the estate alone because under German inheritance law both of his sisters and Gloria herself would have recieved an enormous portion of Johannes' estate irregardless of whether they were mentioned in his will.

Does anyone know if the catalog of the auction has an ISBN number? I've been looking for it and I cannot locate it.

what are the young princes doing lately? Albert has as only occupation the racing, isnt'it? And does one of his sister write for some revue as Vanity Fair? We don't know much about them because they aren't followed by press or because there is few to know? for example: they're all more than 25 y.o. and we never knew about boyfriends-girlfriends.. Are they (still) a part of Casiraghi-Santodomingo-Niarchos club in Paris?

I get the feeling that all three are very much under their mothers thumb. I suspect that a combination of their religon and mothers feelings about 'equal' marriage prevent 'daliances' with unsuitable people. The two daughters were once thought pf as suitabl;e spouces of Cp Frederick of denmark, at least according to their uncle Count Alex of Glachau

Well, to be honest I usually see a disparity between what the Fürstin says and what the Fürstin actually does (but maybe that is just me). So in that light I wonder if she really expects her children to marry within their own circle. Still, chances that a few might are reasonable enough, much of their friends and acquentances should come from the same circle.

What is wrong with Furtsin Gloria's wish to see her children marrying fellow-aristocrats? Despite her wild past, it appears to me that she is old-fashioned in this respect. Prince Albert II and his sisters mix in with people from the upper social stratum, where it is possible to meet an appropriate match ... but then again we do not much information about their friends.

What is wrong with Furtsin Gloria's wish to see her children marrying fellow-aristocrats? Despite her wild past, it appears to me that she is old-fashioned in this respect. Prince Albert II and his sisters mix in with people from the upper social stratum ... but then again we do not much information about their friends.

I don't think there is anything wrong at all. Personally I would like to see more royals marrying within royal families. I also wouldn't be suprised if the young women remain single. Something about this family reminds me of the last Romanove Emperors family whwre the girls remain very close to their mother to the point where they spurn possible romances.
Pf course little is known about their social activities unless Gloria is involved.

Princess Maria Theresia and Princess Elisabeth may remian single, if it is their wish to do so. At the same time, Prince Albert needs to marry and produce an heir.

Princess Maria Theresia and Princess Elisabeth may remian single, if it is their wish to do so. At the same time, Prince Albert needs to marry and produce an heir.

Yes and thouh he is yet young I hope it will be soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom