Princely House of Thurn und Taxis 2: July 2008 - July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boris, she says what all priests say. I am not surprised!

no make-up -> good for your skin :D
a few more kilos on your hips and elsewhere -> no or less wrinkles :whistling:
frumpy clothes -> I wouldn't call a Dirndl frumpy!!!:bang:

All in all a classy life.

Aside from the classic, very pretty dirndl, she wears comfy clothes and sensible shoes and always has a smile on her face. She doesn't have to put on a show - she is as she is and looks happy going about her way and enjoying life. I bet that she doesn't put on airs either.
I sure would love to have her gorgeous pearls though!

WOW!!! To be privy information about the conclave is quite impressive. At the same time, I think that Furstin Gloria is a person of extremes to a certain extent. She was a wild child, who used not to fit into an aristocratic mould ... She has made a U turn by having strong religious beliefs and showing this in the way she lives her life and behaves. In the end, I have to say she is the person to be admired.

Unfortunately she is a racist as well telling twice in TV that the reason for AIDS in Africa is that "the negroes love to f*** around" - well, she didn't really say the f-word but used another one which similarily refers to having sex without love or emotions for the sake of the experience. The way she phrased it was clearly rascist.

Unfortunately she is a racist as well telling twice in TV that the reason for AIDS in Africa is that "the negroes love to f*** around" - well, she didn't really say the f-word but used another one which similarily refers to having sex without love or emotions for the sake of the experience. The way she phrased it was clearly rascist.
Well ... I believe that Furstin Gloria is fully entitled to have her very special opinion on AIDS as well as other social matters. She is not just politically correct. Furthermore, she does not care about what other people might think of her and her views.:flowers::flowers:

Well ... I believe that Furstin Gloria is fully entitled to have her very special opinion on AIDS as well as other social matters. She is not just politically correct. Furthermore, she does not care about what other people might think of her and her views.:flowers::flowers:

I am very sorry Al bina, but I don’t share this attitude. In a democratic society, it’s most important not to tolerate racism, sexism and discrimination, especially when spread by a public figure.
I think it’s also fair to say that Princess Gloria does care what others think about her views – otherwise she wouldn’t co-write a book which is meant to promote those views and appear on national television to hold forth on them.
Apart from that, some of Princess Gloria’s statements were actually not politically incorrect, but incorrect period, meaning: False, as a matter of fact.

Boris,
You are free not to tolerate any form of the discrimination or any -isms in the territory of the USA. Furstin Gloria is a German national. Thus, it is up to the Germans to debate her on hot social issues and tell her that she is completely wrong. Furstin Gloria has a right to express her very specif opinion due to freedom of speech, whereas the other side has a full right to disagree with her views due to freedom of speech. Is Furstin Gloria going on a crusade to impose her views on others by force? No... She can talk as much as she wishes.
Given the direction this discussion may take, I think that it would be better to abstain from further discussions.

I happen to be a German citizen, Al Bina...
...and after six years in the US, I am actually in Germany at the moment.
However, this forum would be rather deserted if only the citizens of the respective countries would be allowed to voice their opinions about those countries' Royals and Nobles.
I guess it's best if we full-heartedly agree to disagree on this one and see if other posters might (re-)join the discussion.

Al bina, of course Fürstin Gloria is entitled to believe no matter what. However, what she believes is published not only in books, but also all over the media. If one person gets AIDS because of listening to her erronous opinion of condoms it matters at least to me for it would be completly unnecessary.

From my point of view she displays an inhuman attitude.

From a sidepoint, I wonder what she tells her very own daughters ... if the girls, or I should say young women don't use condomns it would be careless and negligent.

People with lots of money can usually always voice their opinions, no matter what those opinions might be. Now, since no one knows how much money I've got... I think royalty and nobility, furstins, etc. should wear nice clothes, lots of jewels, look nice and keep their mouths shut.

As a stable democratic country, you are free to go and debate Furstin Gloria on the aforementioned issues as well as boycott her in any way possible. Do something ... organize a campaign against Furstin Gloria's book, let the TV channel know your views ... raise public awareness about the issues discussed by Furstin Gloria ... etc ... As for people listening to Furstin's wrong views and accepting them at their face value, people must make their own decisions and take a full responsibility for these decisions instead of blaming the third party.
Given the fact that Furstin Gloria can be categorized as a private citizen, she can express her views as any other people.

Gloria has a home in Africa and seems to spend quite a bit of time there - I am surprised by her opinions; however, some people seem to think that they "know it all" and are "holier than thou" and can get away with saying anything.
Gloria definitely marches to a different drummer than a lot of people -

Funny opinions she has- given her behavior in her younger years. Is this the same woman who was pregnant at her wedding? I have no problem with people's opinions just their hypocrisy.

As a stable democratic country, you are free to go and debate Furstin Gloria...
But, Al bina, this is exactly what I am doing here - expressing my opinion. And when it comes to AIDS - well she has to be aware that she bears responsibility, too, if she voices her opinion that condoms don't help against AIDS. And yes she has a moral responsibility if she utters such a weird and wrong message. Don't get me wrong, she can say what she wants, but has to carry her burden when it comes to the consequences of her loudly pronounced opinion. Morally guilty IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have expressed my opinion on Furstin Gloria's views. She has got personal traits to be admired along with a peculiar set of poilitical and relgious beliefs, which I do not question. That is all.

An article by BILD on the book/interview of Gloria and the cardinal:

Look here (in German).

Gloria in the news again causing controvery - great stuff!
From the "Punk Princess" and her outrageous and provocative appearance, she's toned that down in favour of outrageous and provocative public statements. I think I preferred her middle period after the sudden death of Fürst Johannes when she became the unlikely saviour of the Thurn und Taxis patrimony and morphed into an astute businesswoman.

Now that the family business has been sorted she's entered another phase. The pilgrimages to Lourdes were perhaps a pointer to her current direction and focus. Prince Johannes, no shrinking violet himself, chose his bride well. Like Madonna, she has reinvented herself several times over. Let's hope the current incarnation is short-lived.

Furstin Gloria has been know for causing controversies of a various nature. So the latest one does not surprise me at all.
She looked great on this photo
Thurn und Taxis: Startseite. I do not remember her looking both sophisticated and elegant. I wonder how old she was, when this photo was taken.

:lol:...! You managed to say it all, Warren.

Absolutly. A perfect way to summarize the whole affair. However, I doubt we will see a new version unless ... maybe ... hey, what about children getting a family? It would we THE occasion to morphe into a fairy-tale-Granny. :eek::D

Gloria is personally in a potentially tough position. She can't marry (if she was so inclined) without losing her position as (Dowager) Fürstin TnT. No doubt she would prefer to retain her official role within the Princely House so that she can oversee young Albert's education in managing the family assets and later on assume the role of matriarch.

A look at the TnT website shows Gloria's influence in opening up Schloss St Emmeram to a range of cultural and income-producing activities and events. It's worth a read as well as a look because there is a very welcoming tone and she is obviously proud of the innovations she has introduced. Interestingly, she's managed to convince the Bavarian government to display in St Emmerams many of the TnT objet d'art that were auctioned off and bought by the State. In effect she sold some assets but they haven't left the building. The government is most likely paying for the insurance as well. Clever.

As an aside, I note that the website refers to her as a Highness, whereas of course she's a Serene Highness.

Last edited:
I have actually seen the interview on some german tv but i didn't understand it well (my luck perhaps) reading all this i'm absolutely disgusted!good luck to her spinster daughters and albert "the youngest billionaire on the planet" but having gloria as mother in law is not worth all the money in the world LIVING HELL!!!

Warren, no doubt the marketing of St. Emmeram is brilliant. It's the perfect show, absolutly perfect with a great love for details. The team who has worked it out has done a great job.

When it comes to the pieces which were obtained in 1993 by the Free State of Bavaria - well, it is probably a win-win-situation. After all it is easier showing them in the castle than building a whole new museum for them, isn't it? And certainly a part of the museum income will be paid to the government - at least I would expect it. But I do agree that Fürstin Gloria is certainly a successful and motivating business women when it comes to selling the TnT Brand - she seems to be an incorporation herself. Still all this does not excuse her remarks - not only the recent ones. Some things she has said years ago and I find them absolutly inappropriate.:bounce::hammer:

And sorry, but cannot help you in the last part of your message since I am no expert in protocol questions :flowers:

I agree with Avicenna about the promotion of St. Emmeram, which seems to be a magincfenct castle/monastery. The interesing point is that Princess Maria Teresia and Princess Elisabeth have got almost identical biographies. Prince Albert II has got a very dangerous hobby and peculiar sense of fashion.

Al bina, I find it interesting that the Schönburg-Glauchau family is featured, too. After all Albert is officially head of the house even though his mother works as a managing director so to say. But this website should really be about the TnT only from my point of view.

Right you are, Avicenna, about the pages devoted to the Schönburg-Glauchau family, which tend to look out-of-place. My best guess is that Furstin Gloria wanted to show that the current generation of Thurn und Taxis are out-and-out aristorcatic. However, I am not sure how blue-blooded the Schönburg-Glauchau family is.

Very blue-blooded. The Schönburg-Glauchau are a minor branch of the Schoenburg-family which can prove through documents their right to rule back to 1130. From 1159 they were "reichsunmittelbar", meaning they had no master above them than the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire himself. Which is quite elevated when you know German history. in 1700 the Emperor elevated them to the "Recihsgrafenstand" and agreed by edict that even though they were not longer independant rulers, the family was considered equal to the Imperial House. So of course the born countess of Schoenburg-Glauchau was an equal to the Head of a House who has been considered equal to reigning Houses. Other marriages have included princesses of Bavaria and Luxemburg. And Gloria Schönburg-Glauchau was equal as well.

It is quite impressive that that the Schönburg-Glauchau family is truly noble. In light of the facts presented by Jo of Palatine, I dare to presume the following. Furstin Gloria has mentioned her family in order to emphasize that the current generation of Thurn und Taxis have got a perfect bloodline. It remains to be seen whether or not Prince Albert II will maintain this purity.

Furstin Gloria has been know for causing controversies of a various nature. So the latest one does not surprise me at all.
She looked great on this photo Thurn und Taxis: Startseite. I do not remember her looking both sophisticated and elegant. I wonder how old she was, when this photo was taken.

She was pretty young when she married and she was very unsophisticated - actually rather frumpy looking.
After marrying, she became very glamorous - very "out there" with her punky hair-dos and clothing. She attended the fashion shows and flitted around the world. She gave outrageous parties. I remember reading about her in New York where she was attending fashion shows and she just popped into Tiffany's jewelry store and purchased (in about 5 minutes!) a string of magnificent pearls which were horrendously expensive. Just like you or I would purchase a newspaper!
But I think that Johannes loved all of this and encouraged her.
Upon his death, Gloria did a complete 180 turn and became very somber and quiet - gone were the crazy hairdos and clothes - in came the plain hair, practically no make-up and conservative clothing. The party was over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom