Princely House of Thurn und Taxis 1 (February 2004 - July 2008)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
victoria_89 said:
so are they a recognized royal family /title or do people just use it out of respect?
The Thurn und Taxis are a Princely Family. They were ennobled in 1512, and became Princes of the Holy Roman Empire in 1681 and 1695.
'Recognition' of their titles and style of Serene Highness is up to the individual.

AlbertTnT.jpg

Photo Credit: Schneider Press/Sipa Press

Forbes Magazine lists Albert as one of the world's wealthiest bachelors:

thanks for those scans!

but does anyone know the latest on albert besides his net worth he's very very difficult to find anything on

I read in a book about Empress Elizabeth of Austria ("Sissi"), that her elder sister, Helena, married a Thurn-und-Taxis ...Someone knows something more concrete about this couple or have some photos of them? I search them, but I couldn't find anything.

Of course...Thanks for those who finds a little info or a pic and would post them here.

Vanesa.

Helene TnT, neé in Bavaria

Vanesa said:
I read in a book about Empress Elizabeth of Austria ("Sissi"), that her elder sister, Helena, married a Thurn-und-Taxis.
The Empress Elisabeth came from a large family of nine children of the Dukes in Bavaria branch of the Wittelsbachs.
Her elder sister, Duchess Helene (1834-1890), married in 1858 Maximilian Anton (1831-1867), Hereditary Prince (Erbprinz) of Thurn und Taxis, eldest son of Fürst Maximilian Karl, the 6th Prince. Their children:

• Fürst Maximilian Maria (1862-1885)
• Fürst Albert (1867-1952) married Archduchess Margarethe of Austria
• Princess Luisa (1859-1948) married Prince Friedrich of Hohenzollern (-Sigmaringen)
• Princess Elisabeth (1860-1881) married Infante Miguel of Portugal, Duke of Bragança, Pretender to the throne of Portugal.

Thank you, Warren. Your info is very useful for me. I didn't know that the littlest Helene's daughter was married to the Infante Miguel Bragança of Portugal, pretender of the throne...And she named her daughter after her famous sister, "Elizabeth". It seems that the Wittelsbachs were a very united family...:)

Vanesa.

"she still has her "Pilgrimage to Lourdes" hairstyle, which I find a bit sackcloth and ashes."
it looks like my after chemo haircut, has she had cancer?

i dont think shes had cancer her hairs roughly been like that since c. early 90s

from Hola :

A party hosted by the Thurn und Taxis a few days ago.
Andrea & Pierre Casiraghi with their girlfriends were also there

d7e51eb6.jpg
e64f7b3f.jpg
24a7e87c.jpg

9f7ff455.jpg
06d6ad1e.jpg

Andrea Casiraghi & Tatiana Santo-Domingo
f64624ac.jpg
3547c6d4.jpg

Pierre Casiraghi
cb2bd779.jpg
10.jpg
9.jpg

ps. I'm not quite sure when & where this event is, so perhaps someone can give a bit more information?

jeneve_valois said:
albert placed 13th racing for Reiter Engineering
You'd think the insurance premiums would scare most companies away from letting him race in their cars. That's what's stopping the current Earl of Pembroke and Montgomery. I can't help but wonder what Gloria thinks about her only son taking up the sport.

Sophie of Bavaria

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how Princess Sophie of Leichtenstein (Bavaria) and the Thurn und Taxi families are related since Princess Gloria is of the Bavarian Royal family also? :confused:

Thank You.

maidmarion said:
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how Princess Sophie of Leichtenstein (Bavaria) and the Thurn und Taxi families are related since Princess Gloria is of the Bavarian Royal family also? :confused:

Thank You.

Is Gloria related to the Bavarian Royals? I only knew that she was a Countess Schoenburg-Glauchau which was not Bavarian but Saxonian nobility. I've never heard of any relations to the Bavarian Royals. It is true that Duchess Helene in Bavaria (though from a minor branch of the Wittelsbachs, she was the sister of empress Elisabeth (Sissi) and a grand-daughter of the Bavarian king through her mother, princess Ludovica von Bayern) married into the house of Thurn und Taxis, thus there is a relation dating back to about 150 years ago, but with Gloria? I don't know....:confused:

Thank You anyway, I think I might be a little confused. I read somewhere just recently that her late husband Johannes was somehow related to the Bavarian Royals. I may have understood incorrectly however, I do know that she now has a home/castle in Bavaria! Perhaps I am wrong. I'll research that more thoroughly and attentively. Thank You ..

The late Prince Johannes and the Bavarians are also related through the Royal House of Portugal (Johannes mother was a Portugese Princess). But there is no direct blood line connecting Gloria and the Bavarians.

The Thurn und Taxis are based in Regensburg, which is in Bavaria, which may have contributed to the confusion.

The Thurn und Taxis

Ahh,

I can see how a newbie like me could confuse oneself. Thank You both Katie and Warren for placing this all into perspective about this family for me. I'll keep "plugging" away at all these families relations. :) :p

Cheers
MM

Last edited:
There was a question recently on the American game show Jeopardy! about the world's youngest billionaire (I don't quite remember the wording) and the answer referred to a Prince in this family. I was out of the room and didn't hear the correct answer ... does anybody know?

PreDoc said:
There was a question recently on the American game show Jeopardy! about the world's youngest billionaire (I don't quite remember the wording) and the answer referred to a Prince in this family. I was out of the room and didn't hear the correct answer ... does anybody know?

Yes, it's Albert, the current Fürst von Thurn und Taxis (born 1983).

The difference between a Fürst and a Prinz: the Fürst is the "titular", the Head of the Family, and would be the regnant prince if the family still ruled a principality. The Prinz is a member of the family, who has the right to use a princely title, but is not the Head of the family.

the article from Vanity Fair mostly talked about how Gloria survived her husbands depts and has made her sons money. Also it talks about her huge support for the catholic church:confused: and the current pope that she knew before he was pope. She wants all the italian (because she lives in rome )royal families to have a connection with the church again.
Albert is very much a mommys boy and attends the univ.of edinburgh. Princess micheal of yugoslavia or greece said she sat by albert at prince Rainer's funneral and found him very charming.

Warren said:
Albert will probably marry in accordance with the House Rules.

does anyone know what the house rules are? all these royal rules *sigh*

jeneve_valois said:
does anyone know what the house rules are? all these royal rules *sigh*
Albert, as Head of the House, can make his own rules, but the pressure will be on him to marry: 1. a Roman Catholic, 2. a princess or countess from a reigning/former-reigning/Mediatised House, 3. a noble-born woman at the least. But of course he can marry anyone he chooses.

Hey

I'm from Regensburg, and so direct at the source concerning Thurn und Taxis :D
I think they are a very sympathic family, and I' ve already met Gloria and two of her children (Albert and Elisabeth). Very nice, funny and natural...
Furthermore I think Elisabeth and Maria are two very beautiful girls :rolleyes:

The party in Paris was organized by the 2 princesses.
Maria was about 2 or 3 month in Nepal and helped in a hospital. This work she documented with a camera and made a film, which she showed in Paris to her rich friends and collected money (I think they reached about 70.000)

Do you know the "Thurn und Taxis- Schlossfestspiele"?
They are currently, hier a link http://odeon-concerte.de/regensburg/shopr.htm (if you click at "Rückblick there are some photos from the last year)
This year I'm also going myself. It's a really great event...

Gloria and children themselves play every year a little role
This year Gloria was the "Fürstin von Verona" in Romeo und Julia :D

Yeah, I could tell quite a lot from them ;)

But I' ve also a question: Do you have some more photos where they are at their house in kenya?
The one I' ve seen here, are very nice...

Here some pictures ( can find them when you search Thurn und Taxis at www.topixx.com)

http://www.seegerpress-online.de/seegerpress-online-cgi/topixx?op=topixx&ID=1071205550&string2=Thurn+und+Taxis
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/seegerpress-online-cgi/topixx?op=topixx&ID=1071205554&string2=Thurn+und+Taxis
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/seegerpress-online-cgi/topixx?op=topixx&ID=1121520791&string2=Thurn+und+Taxis
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/seegerpress-online-cgi/topixx?op=topixx&ID=1121520754&string2=Thurn+und+Taxis
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/seegerpress-online-cgi/topixx?op=topixx&ID=1090335670&string2=Thurn+und+Taxis
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/seegerpress-online-cgi/topixx?op=topixx&ID=1121518954&string2=Thurn+und+Taxis
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/seegerpress-online-cgi/topixx?op=topixx&ID=1121519000&string2=Thurn+und+Taxis

Last edited:
Thank you very much Teresa, for all the information and pictures,
its really nice of you :eek:
So cool you live in Regensburg:D

Last edited:
non-reigning houses?

Thurn und Taxis made me pose this question, but any examples would be great. I was just curious, non-reigning houses (german/austrian especially) are just following old tradition? Do they all still follow male primogeniture out of tradition or has there been huge trusts set up to perpetuate the family legacy? i.e. TnT helped to protect her husband's fortune for her son Albert. Why did it not pass by way of partible inheritance? All other houses seem to follow this pattern of male-primo. What is the reason they still use Prince/Princess for the family members? Had Albert not have been born would 'prince of tnt' and it's inheritance have passed to some distant nephew of Johannes and not his wife and daughters? or would the princely house simply have died with Johannes?

I know someone is just going to say the titles don't mean anything and it just depends on how the will is left...
... but there is usually crazy answers to this stuff.

Thanks in advance.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partible_inheritance

Simeon said:
I was just curious, non-reigning houses (german/austrian especially) are just following old tradition? Do they all still follow male primogeniture out of tradition or has there been huge trusts set up to perpetuate the family legacy? i.e. TnT helped to protect her husband's fortune for her son Albert.
I don't know of any families that don't use male primogeniture.
Why did it not pass by way of partible inheritance? All other houses seem to follow this pattern of male-primo.
To keep the inheritance intact.
What is the reason they still use Prince/Princess for the family members?
They're still entitled to use the title, so why not?
Had Albert not have been born would 'prince of tnt' and it's inheritance have passed to some distant nephew of Johannes and not his wife and daughters? or would the princely house simply have died with Johannes?
It would have passed to the nearest eligible male relative.

Simeon said:
i.e. TnT helped to protect her husband's fortune for her son Albert. Why did it not pass by way of partible inheritance?
Well as her husband died, she had to stop her incredible spending and start to protect the Thurn und Taxis estate for the future. Which was good. I think it's good that they try to keep the family's assetts together, instead of shattering them to distant family here and there. It's a historic heritage, it should be kept for future Fürsts.

kelly9480 said:
I don't know of any families that don't use male primogeniture.
To keep the inheritance intact.
They're still entitled to use the title, so why not?
It would have passed to the nearest eligible male relative.

After Weimar all germans were equal in the eyes of the law. If Johannes had left his fortune in state (without a will) it probably would have had no choice but to follow partible inheritance (I do not know for a fact if germany does follow this system if someone dies in state). Or personally, if I had no son I would find it hard to pass a huge inheritance on to a "distant stranger" to follow tradition of an instrument of government that had lapsed 100 years ago rather than my daughters. An explaination or reference of why german nobility follows this practice, or if they have been granted some special dispensation from the republic would be appreciated. Maybe it is just tradition, suprised no one has broke with it though.
Also, along the same thought, the princess/prince title. Why are they "entitled to use the title" was that part of being mediatized? Is there some instrument that allows them to from the government? i.e. the Greek government allows the King and his family to still use their titles, albeit only for thier lifetime. Or the Iraqi family is granted the title HRH Prince/Princess from the Hasemite kingdom of Jordan, Hannovers were technically princes of great britain et. al. for a time being, etc. Anyway, would appreciate a little clarification, and thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom