The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Austria and Germany

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-06-2015, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Mafalda and others died during WW2 in Concentration Camps.....

Old 03-07-2015, 04:52 AM
Heir Apparent

That is not what I meant. Look at the Houses Thurn und Taxis, Sayn-Wittgenstein, Lippe, Bayern, Fürstenberg, Hohenzollern, Riedesel, Salm-Salm but also to the countless Prinzen, Gräfen, Freiherren etc. who have remarkably survived with all the family patrimonium, the lands, estates, artworks and still live a wealthy life on the Familiensitz. Compare that to the nobility in Russia and Austria!

Old 03-07-2015, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
That is not what I meant. Look at the Houses Thurn und Taxis, Sayn-Wittgenstein, Lippe, Bayern, Fürstenberg, Hohenzollern, Riedesel, Salm-Salm but also to the countless Prinzen, Gräfen, Freiherren etc. who have remarkably survived with all the family patrimonium, the lands, estates, artworks and still live a wealthy life on the Familiensitz. Compare that to the nobility in Russia and Austria!

I)n Asutria there are still a lot of Famuilies who one Castles and Estates. Recently there was a Serie on servus.tv with Ardhuke Eduard of Austria called "Wo Grafen schlafen" (Where Counts sleep). They vistied quiet a number of austrian Families but also german.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
It was the aristocracy of what became East Germany that lost all their properties, alon woth the Hungarian and Bohemian aristocracy
Old 03-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
It was the aristocracy of what became East Germany that lost all their properties, alon woth the Hungarian and Bohemian aristocracy
Stimmt. I have once seen a short reportage on Grand Duke Borwin von Mecklenburg and little is left from the once enormous wealth of the House von Mecklenburg. So many splendid residences went lost: taken by the communists and/or destroyed in World War II.

Only some smaller private possessions in Southern Germany remain, if I am correct.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Stimmt. I have once seen a short reportage on Grand Duke Borwin von Mecklenburg and little is left from the once enormous wealth of the House von Mecklenburg. So many splendid residences went lost: taken by the communists and/or destroyed in World War II.

Only some smaller private possessions in Southern Germany remain, if I am correct.

They have restored some property in 2004 in Northern Germany and one part of that was one wing of the Remplin Castle.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Article of Carina at Svensk Damtidning
Brott lönar sig för Carina Axelsson _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation
Old 11-29-2015, 12:07 PM
Majesty

A BB article about how they celebrate Christmas at Berleburg: Sådan holder Carina Axelsson og prins Gustav jul | BILLED-BLADET

Even though she's not and probably never will be married to Prince Gustav, she is the lady of the manor.

Here she is talking about how she has introduced American traditions into the celebrations and not least in regards to the Christmas tree (or Christmas trees AFAIR they have several at Berleburg!). It's being decorated the American way with lots of lights.

Otherwise it's a quiet and private Christmas at the schloss, eating turkey.

Being the lady of the manor in anything but name, she has also donated a Christmas calendar depicting Berleburg. The proveeds go to the local library in the town of Berleburg.

- Now, we only need a few examples of how an American Christmas tree at full throttle looks like.

Here is a BB article from 2010 on how Carina Axelsson decorates at Berleburg:
https://app.box.com/s/0d8lp8hq68ph5u12a0ex
https://app.box.com/s/psla5z5581r5udspmq73
https://app.box.com/s/j8vu77dhdqf7uiv95shj
https://app.box.com/s/xhqh5u9cdvm0t3iiospa
Old 11-29-2015, 12:14 PM
Majesty

Thanks for the article!
Ms Axelsson is treated as Prince Gustav's spouse and is well-received in European aristocratic circles. She is satisfied with her life.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:18 PM
Aristocracy

I very much like this young lady and have been a fan of hers for many years. It is so wonderful that she found her place in life beside being with PG but has become an author in her own right. Glad to see she is doing so well. Way to go Carina! Books have the answers to just about everything! Also she is a huge dog lover for she has many dogs and they are always by her side.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Both Houses of the same dynasty have splendid properties.

Prince Richard zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg lives at Schloss Berleburg, see picture and another picture.

Prine Bernhart zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein lives at Schloss Scharzenau, see picture (from 1999, which was before the last restoration) and another picture.

In the 1950's the family gave Schloss Wittgenstein in use for a gymnasium with boarding school. In 2002 it was sold to the family Kämmerling and is in splendid state, see picture and another picture.

The Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburgs hold 13.500 hectare (100 hectare is 0.38610 square mile) of forests and lands, administered by the Wittgenstein-Berleburg'sche Rentkammer.

The Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohensteins holds enormous amounts of forests and lands as well, administered by Fürst Wittgenstein`sche Waldbesitzergesellschaft. Since 1 January 2015 a cooperation has been established with the neighbouring Waldgesellschaft der Freiherrn zu Eisenbach and the new cooperation administers 22.000 hectare of forests in North Rhineland-Westphalia. The family also holds around 1000 hectare of forests in Brandenburg and 3.500 hectare of forests in Czech Republic.

It is amazing that the German royal and princely families survived two world wars and the fall of the monarchy so well...

This was jagdschloss Schwarzenau and is another one,in Berleburg,which was used by the Dowager Princesses:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herrenhaus_Schwarzenau
Old 12-13-2015, 07:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Prince Robin and his son Prince Sebastian did not comply with the House requirements to marry a partner whom is standesgemäß. I don't know the exact wording of the Will (I believe no one has seen it) but most likely they are not meeting the conditions.
Well,it depends on the will and the House rules...

Prince Robin married Swedish noblewoman Birgitta af Klercker...

Af Klercker were a 18th century noble family that later got the Baronial title in 1809.

Her ancestors include Stjernvall,von Platen,Fleming,von Liewen,Wrangel,Stenbock,Brahe families...

Through them Birgitta af Klercker is among others:

1. Descendant of King Johan III Vasa of Sweden(1537-1592).

2. Descendant of Duchess Anna Elisabeth von Braunschweig-Lüneburg,Countess Brahe af Visingborg(died in 17th century) which makes her related to all royal and great noble Houses...including Sayn-Wittgenstein.

3. Descendant of the famous Countess Ebba Brahe(1596-1674).

Based on this,I assume that if the Sayn family wanted to find the way,they could include her,as she is of noble birth with many great names as her ancestors...including Kings of Sweden,Electors of Saxony,Dukes of Braunschweig,various Princes etc.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:14 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I meant Prince Gustav's first cousin Prince Sebastian, son of Prince Robin. From what I know his wife Julie Toussaint was born a commoner. Prince Sebastian is the next in line to the inheritance.
Prince Sebastian married Julie Thoussaint(technically a commoner),whose mother is Countess Barabara Pozzo di Borgo,whose grandfather was Joseph,fourth Duke Pozzo di Borgo.

Her ancestors include Dukes of Noailles,Dukes of Gramont,Dukes of Gontaut-Biron.

Through them Julie Thoussaint is also a:

1. Descendant of Albrecht I Habsburg,Holy Roman Emperor.

2. Descendant of Ruprecht III,Holy Roman Emperor.

3. Desendant of Rudolf I Habsburg,Holy Roman Emperor.

4. Descendant of Jaen II,King of France.

etc.

I mean,still much noble blood in Princess Julia zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg,nee Thoussaint.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Courtier

I have read on another board and possibly this one as well, that the marriage restrictions are only applicable to Gustav. After him they are null.

I have read on this board that the House Laws can no longer be enforced.

The property will go to Bernhart after Gustav, if he does not marry and have legitimate heirs.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:24 PM
Royal Highness

Is there any likelihood of Gustav and Carina and they were married in secret?
Old 12-14-2015, 09:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Is there any likelihood of Gustav and Carina and they were married in secret?
I don't think so,as every marriage has to be registered and this small paper would leave him out of almost everything...

I don't think he would risk as much...
Old 02-25-2016, 09:23 AM
Heir Apparent

New video - in French! - Carina AxelssonCarina Axelsson
Old 04-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Majesty

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #15, 2016.

Where a Thomas Thiele Majholt raise an interesting question.

What if QMII made Carina Axelsson a noble, wouldn't that solve the problem of her and Prince Gustav being able to marry.

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that while QMII in theory can ennoble anyone that solution is most unlikely. Partly because it's unlikely the DRF would interfere with an ongoing judicial process in a foreign country and partly because it would hardly solve the problem anyway as the terms in the testament is about race and not nobility.

Tags
prince gustav, prince gustav zu sayn-wittgenstein-berleburg, sayn