The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Austria and Germany

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Courtier

I would think they speak English to each other.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent

in a recent Billed Bladet article she said that she speaks English with Gustav and that she is learning German though it is hard for her apparently.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

i guess as how the situation goes, they will never get married1 what ashelemed1
Old 11-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post

sorry but why are they unlikely ever to marry

Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
This is another one that I wonder why it hasn't been challenged in the European Court of Human Rights. The presence of an ancient will (1800's) that says a marriage must be to someone of equal rank is clearly discriminatory & should be set aside.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
This is another one that I wonder why it hasn't been challenged in the European Court of Human Rights. The presence of an ancient will (1800's) that says a marriage must be to someone of equal rank is clearly discriminatory & should be set aside.
i agree and what is more ashelemend being her already 40,she will need a miracle for pregnancy!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
The will doesn't affect either Gustav's or Carina's human rights so that court doesn't apply. Gustav is free to marry anyone he wants to, it's only if he wanted to keep his inheritance ( the Berleberg estate) that he is obligated to marry according to the terms of the will.

The will isn't that ancient it was drawn up in the 1930s by Gustav's grandfather also called Gustav, it was done to save the estate from inheritance taxes, Prince Richard didn't inherit the estate, the will stated that Richard's future son was to inherit.

Although the will states that the grandson has to marry a woman of ayran and noble birth, there's no religious discrimination here as Carina is not Jewish.

All wills discrimate, it's not a basic human right to inherit property. The writer of a will can leave their estate to whomever they want and write in whatever conditions they want. Look at the example of Leona Helmsley who left $12million to her dog, $4million to be shared by 2 grandchildren provided they visited their grandfather's grave twice a year and kept the crypt steamcleaned and 2 other grandchildren got nothing.

German courts have upheld other wills from noble families that stipulated that the inheritance would go to those who married according to the wills' conditions as far as heirs marrying equally ( nobles).
Old 11-08-2008, 03:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
I just wondered which citizenship Carina and Gustav have.

I know that Carina's mother is of Mexican origin and her father is of Swedish origin, but she grew up in the USA. So, she's US American.
She is living in Germany.
Did she adopted the German citizenship?

What about Gustav?
Is he having the German-Danish dual citizenship?
Gustav has German citizenship, his sisters took out Danish citizenship but he didn't. ( Nathalie competed for Denmark in the last Olympics) I believe that Denmark doesn't allow its citizens to be dual citizens.

Carina was born in the US so she has US citizenship.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Gustav has German citizenship, his sisters took out Danish citizenship but he didn't. ( Nathalie competed for Denmark in the last Olympics) I believe that Denmark doesn't allow its citizens to be dual citizens.

Carina was born in the US so she has US citizenship.
I didn't know that Denmark didn't allow dual citizenship! I have Danish friends who live in America, and their daughter was born in the US and they said that she has dual citizenship, but I guess not?

Sorry for derailing the topic!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

yes, danish accept dual citizenship!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

The U.S. also allows dual citizenship as long as the person does not vote or participate in the military in both countries. Carina could have dual citizenship easily if she qualifies elsewhere.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Serene Highness

this probably is a stupid question by the term noble birth, i assume means her birthright or parents, the queen couldn't just bestow a title on her and "make" her noble? it seems a simple solution but then when you add the whole racist "ayran" thing it seem hopeless. i'm glad the family considers her one of their own and they seem happy, i wish them all the best in a IMO unfair situation.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Serene Highness

I do wonder how "devoted" Gustav really is to this young woman? Even without his paternal inheritance he is still the grandson of a King & I would assume that he had an inheritance from Queen Ingrid.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I didn't know that Denmark didn't allow dual citizenship! I have Danish friends who live in America, and their daughter was born in the US and they said that she has dual citizenship, but I guess not?

Sorry for derailing the topic!
Not overly sure here, but if the daughter in question is under 18, then they could have dual citizenship ( US automatically as her birthplace and Danish from descent from her parents) but then once she becomes an adult, the Danes would want a definite choice.

Ashlen, Argentina does not allow its citizens to renounce their citizenship, so if an Argentine becomes a Danish citizen then they still in the eyes of Argentine law hold Argentinian citizenship, so there's the technical glitch that allows some dual citizenship. That may or may not be recognised by the Danes. EG Maxima is still an Argentinian citizen even though she is a Dutch princess and holds Dutch citizenship, she couldn't renounce her Argentine one. She has dual citizenship. Unlike Alexandra, Mary and Marie who all renounced theirs, Mary had 2, British ( courtesy of her parents) and Australian. Australia does allow its citizens to have dual citizenship.

bbb Carina is not Danish, therefore QMII cannot give her a title. Also the will states the future wife needs to be of noble birth so just giving her a title doesn't solve that problem.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Not overly sure here, but if the daughter in question is under 18, then they could have dual citizenship ( US automatically as her birthplace and Danish from descent from her parents) but then once she becomes an adult, the Danes would want a definite choice.
It's the same in Germany and most EU countries (except UK where dual citizenships for adults are allowed with member countries of the Commonwealth). Once you are 18 you must decide on one or the other.

Carina is not eligible for German citizenship unless getting married to Gustav but eligible to stay in the country without any problems as holder of any EU citizenship and with a bit more effort (visa etc) as holder of a US citizenship.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
It's the same in Germany and most EU countries (except UK where dual citizenships for adults are allowed with member countries of the Commonwealth). Once you are 18 you must decide on one or the other.
No that's not true actually. In germany there is something called "doppelte Staatsangehörigkeit" (dual Citizenship). In some cases people are allowed to keep their original citizenship and to get the German one as well.
I have some friends who have dual citizenships (Swedish/German or Polish/German for example).
I don't know exactly who gets the dual citizenship... there are some newer laws about that. .. I have no idea who's included into the exeptions, to be honest.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
No that's not true actually. In germany there is something called "doppelte Staatsangehörigkeit" (dual Citizenship). In some cases people are allowed to keep their original citizenship and to get the German one as well.
I have some friends who have dual citizenships (Swedish/German or Polish/German for example).
I don't know exactly who gets the dual citizenship... there are some newer laws about that. .. I have no idea who's included into the exeptions, to be honest.
Sorry I might not be up to date then in terms of citizenship rules. What I know for sure is that EU citizens can stay and work in Germany without any problems whilst US citizens need a visa and a work permit.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Courtier

Definition of nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
this probably is a stupid question by the term noble birth, i assume means her birthright or parents, the queen couldn't just bestow a title on her and "make" her noble? it seems a simple solution but then when you add the whole racist "ayran" thing it seem hopeless. i'm glad the family considers her one of their own and they seem happy, i wish them all the best in a IMO unfair situation.
In this regard, the definition of nobility is back a certain number of generations - generally speaking, it's four generations of noble ancestors in order to be considered noble for purposes of marriage. A title granted would enable Ms. Axelsson's great-great grandchildren to marry into this family, but not her.

bbb- it's not "unfair" at all - he can marry her at any time. He just has to give up the "stuff." He's not willing to do that. This is a situation in which he - they - have made a mercenary choice. None of the terms of the will were a surprise to anyone, and it was perfectly acceptable to him when he was engaged previously. At the time that the will was written, it was for wealth preservation; it appears that, in that matter, Prince Gustav is much like his grandfather in seeking to maintain his comfortable life. Who can blame him, if he likes his life this way?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Poor Elvire! It is unfortunate that her father ruined their relationship. Hopefully someday, an agreement that works for both Carina and Prince Gustav's family will be reached. They seem like such a happy couple. It would be really nice to see them marry.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Courtier

sgl, from everything that's been posted here regarding upholding of equivalent wills and terms, such an "agreement" is unlikely. And Gustav seems to be wedded to his inheritance first and foremost.

Tags
carina axelsson, prince gustav, prince gustav zu sayn-wittgenstein-berleburg