The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Amazingly, it seems a title means something to some people. All ridiculous, but still to some important. Why else would Caroline stay with this guy. He has little to recommend him. She doesn't need his money and I am sure she can find someone who she could enjoy better. The HRH is the only thing I can guess at and at that it is only a guess.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Amazingly, it seems a title means something to some people. All ridiculous, but still to some important. Why else would Caroline stay with this guy. He has little to recommend him. She doesn't need his money and I am sure she can find someone who she could enjoy better. The HRH is the only thing I can guess at and at that it is only a guess.
Perhaps it's a lesson she picked up closer to home: Princess Grace was allegedly very unhappy with Prince Rainier during long stretches of their marriage, but she stayed because she didn't want to give up her place as a royal. (According to Robert Lacey's biography.)

Although it could be the other way around: even though he's richer and is higher up on the royalty scale, and is the cheater, maybe they have an agreement not to divorce because of the profile she gives to him. (Sort of like Jackie O. and Aristotle Onassis. She gave him class even though he had the money and worldwide business connections.)

A dumb question but I wasn't sure where to put it: do Ernst and Caroline share custody of Alexandra? I've only ever seen pictures of her with Caroline in more recent months.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

I have the feeling if there is a divorce, it's going to be a very costly one indeed. At the time of their marriage Caroline was already pregnant as we all know. Her father was still alive and as a Catholic I'm sure he was not thrilled at the prospect of her situation, but she was marrying a very rich man and one that could elevate her status from HSH to a coveted HRH. Were they in love? Caroline and Ernst are the only ones that know the answer. I would venture to guess that for each it was a fling, perhaps Caroline was in love, I don't think Ernst was Caroline was a step up in status from Chantal in that she was Royal and her family has tons of money. Caroline, as I said, could take a jump in status also. I don't know, but the marriage always appeared to me as one of a business merger than one for love.
I haven't seen any pictures of Alexandra with her father unless they had very private get togethers, otherwise, I would say he isn't that worried since he's more concerned about 22 year olds. If that Romanian woman is in her twenties, I'm the next Queen of England.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:11 AM
Nobility

I believe in some cases, a pre-nup allows for different settlements depending on how long a couple is married (and depending on fault). I have often wondered if Caroline is staying in the marriage for this reason.

But- as pointed out earlier, none of us knows what is going on. I just can't imagine it is easy to look forward the upcoming (and very public) royal wedding of her brother while her husband is caught up in multiple (also very public) indiscretions with models and exotic dancers.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

It has been suggested at other message boards that Caroline may wait until Albert's wedding is over and then divorce, while other speculation goes on the guess that the couple have agreed to lead separate lives yet remain married. We'll have to see what the future leads to.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Courtier

Prince Ernst August of Hanover sold home in Schulenburg
Article: Neue Presse
Old 01-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Courtier

I don't believe that a divorce automatically "strips" Caroline of the HRH....especially since Germany has abolished royalty and such titles and styles. These are all courtesy titles and styles, including Ernst's.

If she remarried (and why would she ever want to?), then perhaps she would "lose" the HRH. But I do not believe that one loses it automatically.

As the head of the household, of course, it's conceivable that Ernst could "so decree" that his former wife was no longer HRH.

What about Chantal? That could be a precedent.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Commoner

Chantal Hochuli is still styled Chantal, Princess of Hanover but has lost the HRH with the divorce. I very much tend to believe that the same will happen to Caroline of Monaco if she will be divorced from Ernst August.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 PM

LOL

Ernst is not so bad. He's just very germanic. He's a ladies man and very sexy to women.
I'm amazed Chantal and Ernst ever married... they are chalk and cheese. Caroline is much more able to handle Ernst and is more sexually compatible too. lol it's funny to read all these comments about people one grew up with.
Nuts!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Gentry

I should agree, EA is the King ! And not just a lady's man, i know many guys that find him attractive as well. Anyways, its a pity that Carrie will go back to Serene Highness after the official divorce, she's always very elegant and royal, HRH was ideal for her, thats how i view it. Wonderful lady and human being, I like her more than Chantal for sure.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPD1 View Post
I should agree, EA is the King ! And not just a lady's man, i know many guys that find him attractive as well. Anyways, its a pity that Carrie will go back to Serene Highness after the official divorce, she's always very elegant and royal, HRH was ideal for her, thats how i view it. Wonderful lady and human being, I like her more than Chantal for sure.

So true! Men do fancy Ernst. He is very charming and funny though :)
Caroline is for sure the opposite of Chantal. I've never seen the latter smile nor actually joke about anything, always the sour puss. Ernst likes his bossy, stern women doesn't he. He needs to find himself a Debo Bismarck. She epitomises the perfect woman, wife for a german man.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Gentry

Yeah Germans are tough that's y i like them alot. Lara d'u think Carrie called the shots in their relationship ? I say called cuz it's over now obviously.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ernst is very good lokking. He is uncouth and unappealing as a person. Caroline was a fool, in love, she always was. If he represents German men, and I don't think he does, other than looks you can keep him and the rest like him.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Gentry

Hey we like Ernstie some respect for his fans plz . I like Germans in general it's a dashing race.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

The only positive of their relationship was to see back the Hannover jewels worn by Princess Caroline at the Danish royal wedding.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Gentry

Just that? The couple also had a daughter together, cute Alexandra. Don't be so mean plz, u might hurt someone's feelings . And y should that be Ernst's fault if their marriage failed? Maybe Carrie cudn't stand such a looker as her husband, love Carrie but she should of known better .
Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Aristocracy

Ernst August V, Prince of Hanover

Can someone please explain to me why this person is using the title prince and HRH when it would appear the queen does not recognize the Hanovers as Royals at all from what I gather? They appear to be Royal wanna bees.

His baby daughter who is almost 12, is styled as Her Royal Highness, Princess Alexandra of Hanover, Princess of Great Britain. Is this little girl a British princess at all?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Nobility

*rofl* the engl. Queen does not have to "recognize" a german Prince; and the Queen herself is an offspring of the House of Hanover. She knows him and he was even somewhere down on the List for the english throne; his kids still are. He is also a Prince of the british realm

Ernst-August IS the Head of the "Welfen" and the Head of the House of Braunschweig

Wikipedia is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_A...nce_of_Hanover
Old 04-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Serene Highness

I think the Queen of England does recognize PE but he is like 300th in line to the throne. He is a decendent of Queen Victoria of England and Kaiser Wilhelm the second of Germany so his credentials are for real. It's the German democracy that doesn't recognize him. They do however; allow German aristocracy to use their titles. They just don't have any political power.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Majesty

Remember that in 1837 Hanover was split from Britain due to the Salic Law. The new King of Hanover was the 5th son of George III (The Duke of Cumberland). His descendents though remained Princes/Princesses of the UK and still ask permission from the British Queen to marry, even though they are exempt as descendents of Queen Victoria's daughter, Vicky.

Prince Ernst uses that title but it isn't recognised in Germany. He is no longer eligible himself to be the King of Britain due to his marriage to Princess Caroline of Monaco but their daughter is because she has been raised as a Protestant.

Alexandra is 430th in line.