Prince Ernst August (V) and the Royal House of Hanover 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Caroline of Monaco's husband on trial - Yahoo! News

Prince Ernst August of Hannover, husband of Caroline of Monaco, acknowledged in court Monday that he hit a hotel owner in Kenya but denied using anything but his hands.

Though he does not deny the assault, in the retrial Ernst August is seeking to have the charge and sentence reduced.

Ernst August said only one word during his court appearance: "Yes", in response to a question from his lawyer.
EA admitted having given the plaintiff two "symbolic" slaps in the face - "one for the music and one for the light", because he was angry about the loud music and laserbeams.
The court was only half full of spectators.
He allowed photographers to take pictures for more than 20 minutes.

The aim of the continuing court case is for EA to avoid having a criminal record, by agreeing to a much smaller fine.

There will be ten more days of evidence, including an appearance of Princess Caroline on July 23rd.

Ernst August erneut vor Gericht - Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger

This sounds more like a circus than a trial.

You're probably right. What I didn't include was the "audience" laughing at EA's admission (through his lawyer) that slapping the victim was not legal.
Another media circus.....

Last week Prince Ernst August attended the celebrations of
the 40th anniversary of the accession to power (that took
place on September 1st 1969) of Muammar al-Gaddafi in
Tripolis, Libya. It's said to have been a very expensive
celebration. Here you can see Prince Ernst August watching
a military parade, later on there also was a show with a gala
dinner.

---> Pic

Interesting that Prince Ernst August was invited to celebrate the anniversary of the military coup that installed Gaddafi, and even more interesting that he chose to attend. Does he have a close relationship with the Libyan leader? Was EA's decision controversial in Germany, given Gaddafi's history? Although Gaddafi has been slowly normalizing relations with the West over the past 10 years, it's also true that, as recently as August 2006, he was urging his supporters to "kill enemies" who were asking for political change. (Per Wikipedia article)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that Prince Ernst August was invited to celebrate the anniversary of the military coup that installed Gaddafi, and even more interesting that he chose to attend. Does he have a close relationship with the Libyan leader? Was EA's decision controversial in Germany, given Gaddafi's history? Although Gaddafi has been slowly normalizing relations with the West over the past 10 years, it's also true that, as recently as August 2006, he was urging his supporters to "kill enemies" who were asking for political change. (Per Wikipedia article)

I've had the same questions in mind, claypoint2. The reasons for
Prince Ernst August's attendance are obscure, especially as the
celebrations were ignored by many countries, some European ones
only sent minor representaives, if any...Among the guests there were
only a few well-known people, unfortunately some dictators as well.
The German press wasn't that interested in Prince Ernst August's
attendance, it wasn't much noticed, I've found the pic in the yellow
press without any special comments.

Nathalie Cox, that pic was the only one I've seen so far.

Thank you for your response, Iceflower. What an interesting piece of information.... Many thanks for posting.

:previous:
The fact that he was invited and attended may indicate he has business interests in Libya.

Today if Germany was a monarchy the head of the House of Hannover would be the king, i.e. this prince. I think this is some kind of spiritual premonitoring.

Today if Germany was a monarchy the head of the House of Hannover would be the king, i.e. this prince. I think this is some kind of spiritual premonitoring.

Why would the House of Hanover rule Germany, rather than the House of Hohenzollern? (I'm not favoring one over the other, just that the Hohenzollerns were the emperors for a few generations.)

Prince Ernst August looks very charming here, his smile is lovely.:)

Why would the House of Hanover rule Germany, rather than the House of Hohenzollern? (I'm not favoring one over the other, just that the Hohenzollerns were the emperors for a few generations.)

He could be King of Hanover since the Head of the House of Hohenzollern would be an Emperor...

No.Goodness no.The head of the House of Hannover would be the umptiest Duke in the land if Germany would convert to a Monarchy again.

The Hohenzollern Prince George would be Emperor and King of Prussia,and one can not seriously compare him with prince korsakoff.

:imperialgermany:

I read the article in spanish in another forum...so, he appears happy in photgraphy exhibition of nude female ski instructors...
Well, at least I know he is alive.

Oh my, Ernst looks to unhealthy! Je looks so thin and losing his hair!

EA looks like somebody who is drinking A LOT.

I had hoped that he had learned from the warning that he was given when suffering from life threatening illness in 2005 but sadly no. Caroline not by his side is not doing him any good.

:previous:I doubt he has ever given up drinking, as you can also see in the pics posted in the previous pages of this thread.
I agree that his separation from Caroline is not doing him any good, as far as we know, of course.

None of us knows whether he is drinking or not, but the chances of a habitual drinker giving up drink are slim .... some might say "impossible"....

Land, schloss and various properties in Germany, Austria and elsewhere, assets and private investments etc.
The Prince of Hanover is listed amongst the largest (Noble) Austrian landowners.

Last edited:
Land, schloss and various properties in Germany, Austria and elsewhere, assets and private investments etc.
The Prince of Hanover is listed amongst the largest (Noble) Austrian landowners.

Does he still own the Castle in Gmunden?
And do the properties belong directly to him or are they part of a trust whose beneficiaries are the members of the Family?

Warren, thanks for sharing this information!

Before, I had thought that Prince Ernest August was lucky to marry Princess Caroline because she is worth 1 billion USD, but it turns out he is actually worth more than her! He didn't need her money. What is amazing is that their daughter has two separate billionaire parents, one from a well-respected royal line and the other from a fun, glamorous principality. Princess Alexandra and all of their children from their previous marriages are very lucky!

Does he still own the Castle in Gmunden?
And do the properties belong directly to him or are they part of a trust whose beneficiaries are the members of the Family?
Schloss Cumberland in Gmunden ceased to be the Family Seat in 1923 and today is a hospital. The Prince of Hanover/the family/a trust certainly owns the former hunting lodge in Gmunden (see pic below) plus large amounts of land in Austria.

The actual composition of the Hanover assets (privately and individually held, held in trusts, held by a foundation etc), would probably be known only to EA, his sons, financial advisers and the German and Austrian tax offices, plus other countries in which property is held (eg Kenya, probably the UK, etc).

The 2005 auctions of the armoury, furniture, bric a brac etc at Schloss Marienburg raised €44m (US$62m) which was placed in a trust headed by Prince Ernst August jnr and Prince Christian to maintain the Castle and the Fürstenhaus Herrenhausen-Museum.

There is no information available as to whether Prince Ernst August as Head of the House provides for his relatives or whether they have otherwise been provided for. I'm sure this is considered "private family business."

> Schloss Marienburg

V pic: The former hunting lodge, Gmunden, Austria
(courtesy Wikipedia Commons)

Attachments

• Hanover Gmunden, Austria.JPG
    Hanover Gmunden, Austria.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,962
I actually have a question...I have been reading a couple of royal books about Alexandra of Denmark (later Queen Alexandra of GB), the Windsors, Edward VII, etc.

In the Alexandra as well as the Edward VII book they are discussing Thyra (sister of Alexandra who married into the Hanover branch) and we are talking about the annexation of Hanover by the Prussians (?), and how they basically seized the assets of the Hanovers (and other German ruling families). So my question is this...from what I understand, they (the Hanovers and the others) never received their assets or compensation for the land, money, etc from the Prussians. Is that correct?

So am I correct in assuming that the assets of the current Hanover family, does not include the disputed assets. Is that a correct assumption? Does make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom