The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Gentry

That's what I too would like to know - what exactly DOES this man DO, aside from tailing along with Princess Caroline to formal and private events in Monaco and elsewhere? All I ever see of him is when he is standing beside or behind Caroline, and either smoking or drinking (although perhaps he has curtailed his drinking since being hospitalized).

Old 10-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Administrator

I was under the impression that he was independently wealthy and doesn't really need to work. Isn't that the case? While I agree most of us would be bored stiff.....if its all you know...maybe its not so bad.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Gentry

True, Ernst is a wealthy man in his own right, and true, perhaps this is the only lifestyle he has known. I think, if I may, that there seems to be an element of 'waste'; by that I mean those who seem to coast through life, those who could utilize their intelligence and talents to contribute, to make a real difference in others lives, and yet they sit back and enjoy the ride - their talents and energy focused on the mundane.

Don't get me wrong; after all, I do not know Ernst, and I could be wrong here. But from all the photos I've seen of him through the years, he seems to be perpetually partying hard, vacationing, or touring exhibits/galleries, etc.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I myself would go a little bonkers if my life was comprised of only the above.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Serene Highness

while i agree i think i would go a little mad if i didn't have something to do everyday... but really what is the difference in ernst's lifestyle and a retired person (wealth aside)
Old 10-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Gentry

I think the primary difference is that Ernst, at, what, 52 (?) is not an elderly man. Also he seems to have lived this particular lifestyle for quite some time now, if not all his life. Oh well, I suppose with wealth comes some degree of apathy and inertia.

I'm not slamming the guy, I'm just making an observation.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Serene Highness

I once read he makes documentaries, does anybody know something?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Majesty

Yeah I read that, too, Rosana. And I also read that he owns several businesses in London, if I remember right. And we can't forget that he is still the Head of the Hanoverian House, so I think that owning several castles and estates counts as well.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittencrews
while i agree i think i would go a little mad if i didn't have something to do everyday... but really what is the difference in ernst's lifestyle and a retired person (wealth aside)
The difference between an average retired person and Ernst is that an average retired has not so much money, and he can not do as much thinks as can do a person like Ernst, travelling, sporting, going to theater premieras and exhibitions, all around the world, you can really fill you day, and also Ernst is young, so he does not get tired once he takes a plane... an average retired is usually more than 65, so he can not ran around like a creasy, he stays at home, waches TV, and sometimes he can get easily bored.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:38 AM
Serene Highness

yes, i understand that money is a big difference that is why i said wealth aside, but why should we critize ernst when he was born that way, it isn't our right to critize him because he is priviledged... i'm sure we can name other wealthy people who do MUCH LESS than Ernst
Old 10-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittencrews
yes, i understand that money is a big difference that is why i said wealth aside, but why should we critize ernst when he was born that way, it isn't our right to critize him because he is priviledged... i'm sure we can name other wealthy people who do MUCH LESS than Ernst
Absolutely, we can not criticize them, and I'm sure that he is not bored from his life, he seems to be a good husband and father, he is rich, BUT normal, he is not the kind of bored rich people who do not know how to kill their days and they do crazy thinks only to draw other people's attention
Old 10-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Majesty

Nice pics and an interesting article from Hola:

ERNST OF HANNOVER: A PRINCE WHO COULD BE KING OF ENGLAND
Old 02-18-2007, 04:05 AM
Majesty

Prince Ernst-August shopping in Milan last year - Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3
Old 03-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Commoner

Well this is my first post and I have to put in a word for those of us who would NOT be bored stiff by not having to work to survive.

There is much in travel, reading, art and music, as well as with the ability---and time---to share these things with ones children...much.
If Ernst is enjoying his life and his family why ever should he pretend to be under middle class constraints? I certainly wouldn't!
No more should he expect us to emulate HIS life and priorities.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaghan
Well this is my first post and I have to put in a word for those of us who would NOT be bored stiff by not having to work to survive.

There is much in travel, reading, art and music, as well as with the ability---and time---to share these things with ones children...much.
If Ernst is enjoying his life and his family why ever should he pretend to be under middle class constraints? I certainly wouldn't!
No more should he expect us to emulate HIS life and priorities.
I agree with you. Ernst is not a public person and he does not receive any money from tax payers, so he is free to live his life as he wants.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Here are two more pictures, they were both taken in spring 1999 at Prince Rainier's jubilee - the first one is from the breakfast, the second one from the lunch inside the palace

Ernst August 1999 - 1
Ernst August 1999 - 2
Old 05-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Royal Highness

Healthly shopping for Prince Ernst in St. Remy

Pic

Old 05-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower
Here are two more pictures, they were both taken in spring 1999 at Prince Rainier's jubilee - the first one is from the breakfast, the second one from the lunch inside the palace

Ernst August 1999 - 1
Ernst August 1999 - 2
It is difficult to understand someone drinking wine at breakfast...you haven't even open your stomach and already drink alcohol???
Old 05-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Commoner

I guess if a person is an alcoholic the time is not a problem but having said that this was imo happened before his pancreatic problem in 2005.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Aristocracy

I just have to ask, just what is it Prince Ernst do for a living?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashajones
I just have to ask, just what is it Prince Ernst do for a living?
I know he´s an ingeneer, don´t know if he makes something related to that, he makes documentaries, and of course he has a lot of money and we see he has a lot of time off to spend in ceremonial duties.