The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-03-2014, 03:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
She'll fit in with the Hanover's nicely...

Why?!

Old 05-03-2014, 05:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Is Prince Ernst August (the father) so much of a persona non grata within the family that he didnt' attend. Wouldn't it have been more appropriate for him to be the host rather than his son?
I think we can best compare it with Fürst Hans-Adam von und zu Liechtenstein having handed over the reins to his son Erbprinz Aloïs. De jure Hans-Adam is head of the dynasty, de facto his son Aloïs is in charge of business.

In Hannover Ernst-August Sr von Hannover is head of the dynasty, de facto his son Ernst-August Jr is in charge of business. The difference is that a Hans-Adam, or a Beatrix, or a Jean are not completely invisible. Ernst-August Sr seems to prefer to withdraw from public life. Probably also because he knows when he turns up, with or without Caroline, all attention goes to him and no longer to the Jubilee.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:22 AM
Gentry

Ernst August junior is the face for the events; the head of the firma is his uncle Heinrich von Hannover, the youngster brother of Ernst August V von Hannover.

Heinrich has a son with a German-starlet, but he married Thyra Sixtina Donata von Westernhagen a woman of the nobles, they have 3 children together.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:09 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
It is a very impressive exhibition. Both sons of Prince Ernst August are handsome. Princess Gloria looks quirky as usual.
I went to see the exhibition last weekend. I was a bit disappointed by how small it was and I hated that you cannot go in without a guide (who also said some things that were not correct).
Old 06-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for sharing details about the exhibition!
I am surprised to learn that the exhibition is not as grand as it appears in the press report.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:40 PM

Royal exhibition

I visited last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, it is small and should be visited after touring the main castle. The exhibition builds on the castle tour and it is interesting to see not only the Crown Jewels but also personal items such as uniforms. The exhibition should be seen as part of a whole castle experience otherwise you will be slightly disappointed. And if going to Germany then I would recommend the British Royal Heritage exhibitions at Hanover and Celle.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelheid View Post
Here a link with lots of pictures of the young (Guelph) Welfs girlfriends...
Completely different types of beauty, but both are nice.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Commoner

Hey :) new video about Ernst August of Hanover Jr
Portrait: Erbprinz von Hannover | NDR.de - Fernsehen - Sendungen A-Z - Hallo Niedersachsen
Someone can please translate the video?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Aristocracy

The translation of the video can be found here: Royal House of Hanover (Guelph): News and Events | Page 3 | The Royal Resource
Old 07-25-2014, 03:20 AM
Courtier

I hope one day that moves to hanover permanently.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

I found this part curious:

Quote:
- English was his first language and he only started to speak German regularly when he was about 7 when he attended the German school in London
- he has trouble speaking German when he hasn't done it for a few months which was especially difficult a few years ago when he visited Germany every only once in a while and everyone expected him to speak German perfectly ("because my name is Ernst")
That means he didn't speak german at home, not even with his father.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Commoner

Ernst August of Hanover Jr speak germna and english obviously but someone know if he can speak french?
Old 07-26-2014, 03:14 AM
Courtier

Does he even spend much time with his father?
Old 07-26-2014, 03:45 AM
Royal Highness

It is weird that the son of a German father and a German mother with a prominent position in German society and history has "difficulties" to speak the language. When the surroundings of a baby (der Vater und die Mutter) speak German, a baby should automatically develop that language too.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:39 AM
Courtier

Well, his german is pretty fluent. I heard him speak on several occasions and he understands and can say anything he likes in german almost flawless. But it is obvious he hardly spend his life in germany until adulthood. Remember he hardly spoke the language up to when he was 7. He later went to a british college; that means a whole day of complete english surrounding, english speaking friends, english homework, soccer club etc. Later he went to a british boarding school where he spend all his time except for the holidays.

In the interview that was posted above ("Hallo Niedersachsen") he said german was NOT his mother-tongue!
I know from my daily experience that immigrant children often start to communicate only in the language they use at school and with friends. Parents ask something in the mother tongue and the child answers in the language of the adopted country, no matter if the parents are happy about that or not.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vale2807 View Post
Hey :) new video about Ernst August of Hanover Jr
Portrait: Erbprinz von Hannover | NDR.de - Fernsehen - Sendungen A-Z - Hallo Niedersachsen
Someone can please translate the video?
I can't see the video from NDR.de anymore! :/
Old 07-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Nobility

I used the 'suche' function and found a short clip of the Erbprinz speaking German which sounds fine (although he should perhaps learn to control his hands better when presenting the Hannover crown to the media!)
Old 07-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Commoner

He look like polite, smart, fine and a little bit shy :) In my opinion (So much compliments)
I never see a video of Ernst August of Hanover Jr speaking english :|
I agree with you he moves a lot his hands LOL He look like a great guy!
Old 08-25-2014, 03:17 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londena View Post
I went to see the exhibition last weekend. I was a bit disappointed by how small it was and I hated that you cannot go in without a guide (who also said some things that were not correct).
I was there,too, and i liked the exhibition, but disliked the same things.
There was no time to look at the objects- I think, as a visitor, you go there to see just them. My luck, i live rather near the castle. I can go there again.

But you have to see the great exhibition in the Landesmuseum. (Hannover)
"Als die Royals aus Hannover kamen"
"When the Royals came from Hanover"

Awesome! And one can go unguided, so you can take the time you need.
I needed three hours for the exhibition, enjoyed it much and will visit it again.

There are other exhibitions, that are part of the great exhibition, i have to see yet.
(In Celle, and another one in Hannover)

I´m glad I found this forum. I´m a royal watcher and collector for years, and especially interested in the royal Houses of Hanover and Prussia. But i´m so not used to writing in english:))
Reading is no problem, but i don´t write that much.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vale2807 View Post
He look like polite, smart, fine and a little bit shy :) In my opinion (So much compliments)
I never see a video of Ernst August of Hanover Jr speaking english :|
I agree with you he moves a lot his hands LOL He look like a great guy!
I agree. But he WAS an ugly ducking when he grew up:)